Hoodie Revival

Buy, sell, request, and/or opine about all manner of UTMC goodies

Re: Hoodie Revival

Postby Jaeger » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:47 am

jae wrote:
xtian wrote:All my jackets have the zipper pull on the left side. I remember that my Schott perfecto had it inverted, but I had it changed at some point.

guess this is a continental difference. just looked up the brand on my left side pull sweater, sure enough it's a company from France.

However, all men's shirts have the buttons on the right-hand side (as worn)... right?

I had no idea about the zippers. That's odd. Is that only men's clothing or both?

Mishka just checked her wardrobe and found only one thing with a left-hand zipper. It's a Chinese-made sweater, but the flip side on the label is in French, so presumably it was made for a European market.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 (Seeking New Opportunities)
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby red » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:26 am

Jaeger wrote:
jae wrote:
xtian wrote:All my jackets have the zipper pull on the left side. I remember that my Schott perfecto had it inverted, but I had it changed at some point.

guess this is a continental difference. just looked up the brand on my left side pull sweater, sure enough it's a company from France.

However, all men's shirts have the buttons on the right-hand side (as worn)... right?

I had no idea about the zippers. That's odd. Is that only men's clothing or both?

Mishka just checked her wardrobe and found only one thing with a left-hand zipper. It's a Chinese-made sweater, but the flip side on the label is in French, so presumably it was made for a European market.

--Jaeger

I've bought a few euro garments and noticed the zippers were on the <i>wrong</i> side.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:38 am

red wrote:
I've bought a few euro garments and noticed the zippers were on the <i>wrong</i> side.

Ehm, no?
Most people's dominant hand is their right hand.
When preparing to zip up, the lower end of the "nekkid" side of the zipper must be fiddled into the pully-thingy (which I just found out is called the "slider", a term I refuse to use since it makes no sense). So when the pully-thingy is on the left, the right hand can handle the lower end of the other side, so as to insert it into the pully-thingy.
When the pully-thingy is on the right, I have to use my left to insert the thing. Like most people, my left is not my dominant hand.
So having the pully-thingy on the left, where it must only be stabilized by hand, makes perfect sense. Y'all 'mericans got lefty zippers, with the pully-thingy on the right.

This makes a certain degree of sense. On my first visit to the US, I noticed that your doorknobs go the wrong way. As do keys in locks, or even rotating lock-knob-thingies in bathroom stalls. I had a second's worth of panic when I couldn't open the door of the toilet stall in the Emeryville Amtrak station. Pop culture had never prepared me for this.

Here in (continental) Europe, if you stand before a door and the doorknob is on the right, to open, you turn it counter-clockwise. Ditto for for a key you'd insert in a lock on your right.
Basically, imagine the doorknob or key was a doorhandle. Rotate it like you'd rotate the doorhandle, same direction. That's the European way.
Which is the way that makes perfect sense. Doorhandles, doorknobs, and keys in locks on a door, they must all be rotated the same way to effect opening/unlocking. The way you lot do it is just ... wrong.

I recall witnessing the difference on a car-door even.
Here, in (continental) Europe, to unlock the driver's side door, the key is turned counter-clockwise. To open the passenger side door, it is turned clockwise. I'm pretty sure it was brother MATPOC's Honda where I noticed the passenger sided door requiring counter-clockwise key-rotation. You had a Honda then, Dmitry, or am I imagining that?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby xtian » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:36 pm

please don't invade us.
I'm not really from around here.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Postby mtne » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:42 am

xtian wrote:please don't invade us.

Not to worry, apparently we would come around from the wrong direction......... I doubt we would make it through china and india.
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
07' KTM 950 SE
08' Husky TE610 - Everything a KLR wants to be...
Yeah I'm a Bike Slut in remission
SmugMug pictures here, Save $5 when you join SmugMug by using this coupon zu0heHHhx9sjM
http://www.bikeshareworld.com
mtne
Holy DAG Master

Postby MATPOC » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:02 pm

DerGolgo wrote:Here, in (continental) Europe, to unlock the driver's side door, the key is turned counter-clockwise. To open the passenger side door, it is turned clockwise. I'm pretty sure it was brother MATPOC's Honda where I noticed the passenger sided door requiring counter-clockwise key-rotation. You had a Honda then, Dmitry, or am I imagining that?

I'm not observant enough to remember which way to turn the key, especially now with all the cars having "clickers", I just do it automatically when I use key without thinking, EXCEPT the Civic that I now drive is made in UK and it must be fucking backwards from all the cars I ever had because I always fiddle with a key now trying to get in since someone lost the clicker.

As for zippers, I always thought L/R was M/F thing, like shirt buttons, then I got Dainese with zipper on a "wrong" side, which is hard to get used to ...
MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Previous

Return to UTMC Schwag