Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Postby red » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:49 am

Test!

Edited! Hooray!
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby DerGolgo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:06 am

red wrote:Test!

Edited! Hooray!

Jolly good!
I hereby officially declare this threadjack formally concluded, as per the disorganization byebyelaws.

You had been describing your intention to collect a substantial amount of stickers to make a collage?
I forget whether the matter of how to coat those for protective purposes had ever been resolved. Clearcoat bad, IIRC. Do you have an improved plan for that yet?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby red » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:06 pm

DerGolgo wrote:
red wrote:Test!

Edited! Hooray!

Jolly good!
I hereby officially declare this threadjack formally concluded, as per the disorganization byebyelaws.

You had been describing your intention to collect a substantial amount of stickers to make a collage?
I forget whether the matter of how to coat those for protective purposes had ever been resolved. Clearcoat bad, IIRC. Do you have an improved plan for that yet?

My current plan is to have the tank acid dipped, then some enamel based rattle can. Once it's dry, it is sticker time! No more plans for clear coat.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby red » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:23 am

I took some time the other night to open up the carb bowls to verify the jet sizes and that all the pieces were there. They look clean and complete. However, the gaskets look a little long in the tooth. I'm gonna roll the dice and try to use them. On the other hand, the intake boots are hard as rocks. I managed to track down a set and the thermostatic switch from evil Amazon. I threw a pair of cheap Chinese clip-ons on the order too.

Once I can get some space cleared in the garage, I'll finally get around to the valve check. From there, it's piecing it all back together. Once I have her running, I'll address the leaking forks, old tires, short chain and my lighting requirements.

When all of those are complete, it will be time for the fun stuff, mods! I don't plan on doing anything that isn't functional, just power outlets, heated grips and my top case.

Hooray for progress!
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby red » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:47 pm

Decided to rough sketch my plan for the tank stickering:

cbr_tank_v1_small.png

I have the following stickers:

2x Oxidizer 5.1
3x Flammable 1263 (3)
1x Caustic 1805 (8)
1x 3082 (9) Black & White stripes

I need to research the numeric codes for these for fun. Where is rench when I need him?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby red » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:04 pm

Placard_small.jpg

Here's my assortment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Jaeger » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:59 am

That's fucking tremendous. :mrgreen:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 (Seeking New Opportunities)
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby red » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:49 am

Jaeger wrote:That's fucking tremendous. :mrgreen:

--Jaeger

Thank you! I hope the end result is as snazzy as my mock-up. I might need a few more placards to execute it properly.

I'm being green and trying to recycle junk from my garage to fab up bits-n-pieces that I need. For example, I have a metal bodied
toaster that I am scrapping to use as the tail section over the open portion of the frame above the tail light.

It's a fun challenge and appeals to frugal sensibility.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby red » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:06 pm

The Servants of Amazon delivered to me the finest Chinese 37mm clip-ons and a MotionPro tappet adjuster tool.

IMG_20190430_150044.jpg

With these clip-ons, I can add regular clamp mount mirrors and avoid bar-end style, leaving my tubes free for some hand guards.

I still have to clear out the garage so I can actually have room to do the valve service.

One step at a time.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby jae » Thu May 02, 2019 12:07 pm

I ordered a set of chinesium clip-ons like that one time (39mm for my sportster) and the pinch bolts broke almost immediately. If you haven't already done so, I'd highly recommend upgrading those bolts. Couple of bucks well-spent, in my experience.
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.
jae
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
US Texas

Postby red » Fri May 03, 2019 5:16 am

jae wrote:I ordered a set of chinesium clip-ons like that one time (39mm for my sportster) and the pinch bolts broke almost immediately. If you haven't already done so, I'd highly recommend upgrading those bolts. Couple of bucks well-spent, in my experience.

Thanks for the tip! I have them installed (no broken bits yet) but they put too much of an angle on the reservoir, so I'm waiting for one for a GSXR600 from eBay. The piston is 1mm bigger, AZRider believes it will change the feel. If it does, no big deal, I'm only out $20.

I'd rather take that gamble over junk from Amazon. Solid aluminium like clip-ons is one thing, brakes are another!
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby red » Wed May 15, 2019 12:09 pm

The progress continues!

Yesterday, I got the oil cooler relocated off of the radiator. I didn't have any flat stock to use. However, when I removed the horn to make room for the oil cooler, I realized its mount was made up of a few pieces of spring steel. A few quick bends and *poof*, I have my oil cooler mounts. The stock lines had to be zip tied to the frame to keep them from flapping around.

I was also able to remove the rock hard carb boots, a few came off in pieces.

Within the next few days, I'll have a new clutch lever, heated grip kit and grips from Revzilla. Then, I can button up the controls. Once those are done, I'm moving on to the valve check.

I'm too lazy to resize my pictures. You can see them here:

http://7plus8.blogspot.com/2019/05/project-cbr600f-making-progress.html
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby red » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:42 am

I've made some progress lately but I'm too lazy to post all the pics. Plus, I need to update the blog and that interface is much easier to work with.

The controls are all buttoned up, new clutch lever is on , and heated grips installed (not wired). The front brakes are now functional as well.

I attempted to do the valve service this past Saturday but
the tool I ordered wasn't even remotely correct, and my Honda 10mm adjuster tool from my Element wouldn't fit (screw and nut adjusters). So, I hit the net looking for the correct
Honda tool but came up nil. One poster recommend just grinding down the sides of a socket and using a wrench to hold it in place so you can run a screwdriver
down the center. Another just welded a bar onto the socket.

Not having access to a welder, I enlisted some outside help from someone with a little welding practice. It doesn't need to be perfect and it's not like I'll be needing it for
high torque values. The next day, I had my custom valve tool that cost me nothing more than a socket and wrench.

IMG_20190618_175459.jpg

Next Saturday I'll have more garage time and get the valve service done and then start buttoning up the bike.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby red » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:26 am

I tackled the valve service on Friday evening, using my fancy custom tool. It worked well but cylinders 1 and 4 were still a bit of a challenge on the intake side. The exhaust valves were all pretty much in spec, the intakes were all way too tight. I'm hoping there is no damage to the valves. They took the adjustment w/o issue. We'll see when I finally get to a test start.

The carbs are on the bike and cables are routed and installed but I realized I didn't check the float levels. I've got a fancy tool coming from Revzilla so I can check them correctly. I know if I skip them, it will come around to bite me in the ass. Once that is complete, it's on to stripping the tank, getting that painted and I can move on to test starts!
Last edited by red on Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:16 am

Yes, I don't know how sensitive the Honda's are to float height but on my Yamaha Maxim if they are off by more than 2-3mm the bike won't rev above idle, if it idles at all.
Excited to see your progress man, keep at it!
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:01 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Yes, I don't know how sensitive the Honda's are to float height but on my Yamaha Maxim if they are off by more than 2-3mm the bike won't rev above idle, if it idles at all.
Excited to see your progress man, keep at it!

It's nice to put wrenches to something and not be rushed, which has taken me some time to learn to appreciate.

For those of you who want pretty pictures and more details, I'm keeping the blog updated as well:

http://7plus8.blogspot.com/2019/07/project-cbr600f-valve-service.html
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby problemaddict » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:09 pm

I can get you any assortment of Hazmat placard stickers you want. Explosive, Dangerous When Wet, Inhalation Hazard, etc. Plus, google any of those numbers with UN as a prefix and you'll find the specifics. 1263 is Paint. 3084 is Environmentally Hazardous Substances, 1805 is Phosphoric Acid...
problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

BANNER!:
US Pennsylvania

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:24 pm

problemaddict wrote:I can get you any assortment of Hazmat placard stickers you want. Explosive, Dangerous When Wet, Inhalation Hazard, etc. Plus, google any of those numbers with UN as a prefix and you'll find the specifics. 1263 is Paint. 3084 is Environmentally Hazardous Substances, 1805 is Phosphoric Acid...

Shit, I remember when I was working on the Deepwater spill I had ot get HAZMAT and HAZWOP certified and had a copy of the quick reference book with all of those UN numbers, and even in my lat 30's at the time I still scrolled through it looking for funny/disgusting materials because we boys are forever 14 years old in some part of our brains.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:26 am

problemaddict wrote:I can get you any assortment of Hazmat placard stickers you want. Explosive, Dangerous When Wet, Inhalation Hazard, etc. Plus, google any of those numbers with UN as a prefix and you'll find the specifics. 1263 is Paint. 3084 is Environmentally Hazardous Substances, 1805 is Phosphoric Acid...

Awesome, thanks! I won't know my real layout until I get the tank acid dipped and painted. Then I will start plotting out my design.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby red » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:41 pm

Much progress, hooray!

While setting the float heights, I noticed how chewed up some of the bowl screws were, so I replaced those and the diaphragm cover screws with allen head hardware. I suppose some day I should buy a set of JIS screwdrivers but that wasn't the day.

With the floats set and the carbs assembled, I got them back on the bike with minimal profanity and injuries. A little hand sanitizier lubed up the boots and they slid right in. The left side intake "tube" was removed to make room for all the mess of wiring I need to hide around the airbox. The fuse block is zip tied to the side of the frame but definitely needs a better location (eventually. maybe).

I went a head and installed the tank and seat because I could resist sitting on the bike and day dreaming (well, it was a night but I was awake. Is that still day dreaming?) about actually having time to ride. Then I made some vroom vroom braaap braap noises and went to bed.

There is a cheap and questionable gel battery on it's way from Amazon. Once I have that in my grubby little hands, all I needs is the precious guzzoline, coolant and oil. Then it's test start city. I'm already preparing myself to see fuel pissing out of every part of the carbs while the bike struggles to start and makes all kinds of terrible metal on metal sounds from the engine. Or, it will fire up and be ready to rock. I bet that shorty can is gonna be awful.

If you want to see pictures, clicky here. No wait, here: http://7plus8.blogspot.com/2019/07/project-cbr600f-revenge-of-jis.html

Sorry, I'm too lazy to resize everything so I can upload them here and too cheap to pay for hosting.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Previous

Return to Features & Columns