I got this thing the other day...

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.

I got this thing the other day...

Postby rc26 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:12 am

...it's ugly. 98 CBR 600 F3. Once I've established it could run, it might win some space in the garage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Stole it.
rc26
The Devil's Banana

Re: I got this thing the other day...

Postby red » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:24 am

Hooray! Another ratty sportbike project thread! You'll have a much easier time finding parts than me!
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:45 am

rc26 wrote:...it's ugly. 98 CBR 600 F3. Once I've established it could run, it might win some space in the garage.

Nice find, I can imagine that was super cheap and will be a blast to ride when the time comes.
Are those fork tubes bent?
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby rc26 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:42 pm

As far as I can tell, the forks and the rest of the frame look OK. The PO did include some parts that were removed and it does give an idea how bad the accident was. The front faring mount was bent up on the left side, scrape on the left side of the engine along with a bent shifter, the clutch lever has a slight bend, fuel tank is kinda rusty. Not much of an investment at all, was freebie.

The wiring looked intact as if it hasn't been butchered. I've connected a battery to it and hit the starter button but nothing. I'm going to check some fuses and reinstall the instrument cluster to see if any signs of life come from the electrical system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rc26
The Devil's Banana

Postby red » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:41 am

rc26 wrote:As far as I can tell, the forks and the rest of the frame look OK. The PO did include some parts that were removed and it does give an idea how bad the accident was. The front faring mount was bent up on the left side, scrape on the left side of the engine along with a bent shifter, the clutch lever has a slight bend, fuel tank is kinda rusty. Not much of an investment at all, was freebie.

The wiring looked intact as if it hasn't been butchered. I've connected a battery to it and hit the starter button but nothing. I'm going to check some fuses and reinstall the instrument cluster to see if any signs of life come from the electrical system.

My bike also suffers from LSCD, left side crash damage. The engine cover was gone and the shift lever is bent. The peg bracket on the right side is tucked in a bit but I'm too lazy to fix it. I'll just ride it ratty.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby rc26 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:37 pm

It can be replaced, or,...like you said, ride it as is. You're right, it seems CBR parts for the later models are easier to find. Still some slight differences between the F3s, so I have to know what I'm getting before I go crazy and start buying stuff. For instance, the 95 and 96 F3s have a slightly different tail section than the 97 and 98 models. I've found one naked F3 that looks about what I'd be into.

This flat black one looks about where I'd like to wind up. Leave the rear tail section on, and throw on a front fender. I may wind in the rain on it like any bike and don't want my back getting sloshed. http://caferacer.forumotion.com/t103-cb ... er-project

This "scrambler" could be an interesting direction to go into as well. Just not pretty, like that one.
https://jalopnik.com/honda-cbsix50-and- ... 1744220608
rc26
The Devil's Banana

Postby red » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:01 am

rc26 wrote:It can be replaced, or,...like you said, ride it as is. You're right, it seems CBR parts for the later models are easier to find. Still some slight differences between the F3s, so I have to know what I'm getting before I go crazy and start buying stuff. For instance, the 95 and 96 F3s have a slightly different tail section than the 97 and 98 models. I've found one naked F3 that looks about what I'd be into.

This flat black one looks about where I'd like to wind up. Leave the rear tail section on, and throw on a front fender. I may wind in the rain on it like any bike and don't want my back getting sloshed. http://caferacer.forumotion.com/t103-cb ... er-project

This "scrambler" could be an interesting direction to go into as well. Just not pretty, like that one.
https://jalopnik.com/honda-cbsix50-and- ... 1744220608

Both of those are saucy! The "cafe" version is nice and clean, I dig it.

I almost bought replacement tail plastics but they're very bulbous for the F1. It's kind of an all or nothing with plastics on my bike.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby rc26 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:02 pm

Could go with a tourer. :) Weld up some brackets/mounts to the frame, it's already exposed. Snag some ammo cans as panniers. Single round headlight so as to fit a Plexifairing III on it.
rc26
The Devil's Banana

Return to Features & Columns