The Bonneville Report (of sorts)

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.

The Bonneville Report (of sorts)

Postby obiwancanopy » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:24 pm

I was debating whether to write this or not. But I came to the conclusion of what the hell I'll do it anyway. So here goes. As most of you know I have an LSR sidecar. It holds the gas (122.240) and fuel (117.763) records at El Mirage. I built it with the purpose of getting to Bonneville. The records at Bonneville were so pissy (98 gas and 101 fuel) I had to go.

Never having much money is something I've learned to live with so we set off in a 30 year old RV pulling a loaded trailer for an 800+ mile drive. That meant the trip would be a leisurely two day drive. We left Thursday morning and arrived on the salt Friday afternoon.

Got through tech with no problems. The SCTA have a very strict standard for tech and the associated paperwork when running for records at Bonneville. This is one of the reasons their records are recognised worldwide. I thought I had crossed all the Ts and dotted all the Is. I had missed a T or an I somewhere as I would come to find out later.

Joe came up from Arizona and Kenny fom Colorado to crew for me. Having two crewmen made me feel like a real racer. I'm a bit of a one man band and usually I have to club someone, tie them up, drag them out to the start line and only release them if they promise to crew for me.

At Bonneville records are determined by two runs over a measured mile. Not just top speed but an average of your speed over the mile. You start at mile zero and you start the time at mile one. Stop it at mile two and start the time for mile two to mile three. At the 2 1/4 mile mark there are lights to give you your speed at that point. Don't ask why. I don't know.

The first run on the record (98.7) resulted in a mile average of 118+. Woohoo! Off to impound to start the paperwork. Only to find that T I forgot to cross. Shit!! Got to do it all over. Sunday morning on the line. Fire up and take off. Even better. 120.505 for the mile and 125.715 for the 2 1/4!! That is the fastest the sidecar had ever run! Off to impound. Up at 5 a.m. to go to impound to get the sidecar out and up to the line for the return run. The return run was 118+ for the mile and 123+ at the 2 1/4. Back to impound with a big shit eatin' grin on my face. Pull the head. Tech guy measures the engine at 497cc. All nice and legal. Paperwork in order and the record is our!! 119.667 mph.

Normally most people would be happy with one Bonneville record but Joe kept nagging at me to go for the fuel record (101). I sold a welder I had for $300. It was supposed to be gas money to get home. Around four in the afternoon I caved in and we went and did a class change. That was $250 of the gas money gone! We ran about 5:30 and popped off another 118+ for the mile; 124 for the 2 1/4. Back to impound and more paperwork. Up again at 5 a.m., collect the sidecar from impound and out for the return run.

The salt was wet in the morning. As I left the line I fed the clutch in a bit fast and the motor dropped off the megga. pull the clutch, grab a big handful of throttle and feed the clutch. All of a sudden the rear tire lit up! Cool!! But it killed the momentum and the mle speed dropped to 115+ for the mile and 120+ for the 2 1/4. That was OK as the average for the two runs was 117.187 for another new record.

The amazing thing was the sidecar made 5 really strong runs and nothng broke!! Usually I come home with a bag of bits. They say a picture is worth a 1000 words so heres a few photos of the meet.

The happy puppies after the 125.715 run.
[/img]Image
By weslake at 2010-08-15
By weslake at 2010-08

One of the best views on this earth.Image
By weslake at 2010-08-14
[/img]

The early morning wait for the return run.Image
By weslake at 2010-08-20

By weslake at 2010-08-14
See ya!
[/img]
God rides a Triumph. But wishes it was a Norton.
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Re: The Bonneville Report (of sorts)

Postby problemaddict » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:06 pm

obiwancanopy wrote:I was debating whether to write this or not. But I came to the conclusion of what the hell I'll do it anyway.

Why the hell would you hesitate?! That's fucking jangleplatz!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

hope you bummed enough gas money to get home:D
problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

BANNER!:
US Pennsylvania

Postby obiwancanopy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:13 am

One of the guys in the club was there as well and he spotted me the gas money with a "pay me back when ya can" clause.
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby Bigshankhank » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:40 am

Phe-fucking-nominal!!! Congrats on having something awesome to tell your grandkids when they sit on your knee.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby FastCat » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:50 am

Con-grat-u-effing-lations!

...but wait a minute... "fuel" is nitromethane, right? It's faster on gasoline than nitro?
guitargeek wrote:I just lubed my dad's nipples.
FastCat
Δv/Δt = Whoopass

Postby SSCAM » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:00 am

SSCAM
Barista of Doom

Postby problemaddict » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:10 am

FastCat wrote:Con-grat-u-effing-lations!

...but wait a minute... "fuel" is nitromethane, right? It's faster on gasoline than nitro?

"Fuel" is anything thats not gasoline or diesel, i think. Nitro, Alcohol/Methanol, or an N02 kit puts you in the Fuel class as well.

Also, the rules allow you to run your machine in a "faster" class. i.e. you can run an N/A motor in a "Blown"(turbo/super) class, or a gasoline motor in a Fuel class. And I think you can run a smaller displacement motor in a higher displacement class. i.e. you can set a 1000cc record w/ a 750cc bike.
problemaddict

BANNER!:
US Pennsylvania

Postby problemaddict » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:22 am

Quote from the Grassroots Motorsports Magazine forum about obiwan's bike:

Someone is seriously unhinged. That little pad visible on the, umm, rear bulkhead? That's for the driver's helmet. Wow, this thing is nuts.

:mrgreen:

Written by Keith, the owner of Flyin' Miata tuning/parts company who was at speed week.
problemaddict

BANNER!:
US Pennsylvania

Postby xtian » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:37 am

I'd like to see that movie, anyone has it on DVD ?
what?
not a movie? your life ?

hats off.
I'm not really from around here.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Postby obiwancanopy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:24 am

problemaddict wrote:
Someone is seriously unhinged. That little pad visible on the, umm, rear bulkhead? That's for the driver's helmet. Wow, this thing is nuts.

Isn't that the reason most of us are here on the UTMC?

P.S. At SpeedWeek anything that isn't the event gas (ERC) is considered fuel. I simply used VP 110 race gas in the fuel class.
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby Pintgudge » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:31 am

That was awesome, and janglepants!

Thank you for this!

I can't imagine you having a better time for yourself, but if you can, please go do it and send pictures!
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak
Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

BANNER!:
Cascadia

Postby rolly » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:18 am

Incredible! How does it feel to be the world's fastest?
rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Postby calamari kid » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:09 am

Very facking cool! Way to go Obi!!!
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs
calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

BANNER!:
Isle of Man

Postby SomeMook » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Wow, amazing stuff!
All the unhappiness in the world is caused by self-delusion. -E.H.
SomeMook
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Postby UndertheGun » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks for sharing. I love that you've accomplished so much while on a limited budget and by yourself for the most part.

Today, after seeing a couple of the Cretin's land speed bikes (though not sidecar setups) I'm even more fascinated by the notion of budget/garage/grassroots land speed bikes.
What sort of attempts do you plan for next?
UndertheGun
Barista of Doom

Postby bndgkmf » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:34 pm

Congrats!!! UTMC FTW.
bndgkmf
The Statutory Ape

Postby obiwancanopy » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:12 pm

rolly wrote:Incredible! How does it feel to be the world's fastest?

I have to admit that it feels pretty good. I might have to buy a new helmet as the one I have is starting to feel a bit small :--)

Whats next? The plan is to finish off the El Mirage dry lake season and most definitely back to Bonneville. I have a couple of old Hondas that I can sell off to help fund it. I think, despite the fact its only a 500 single, there is about 10 mph left in it. I would love to see 130 next year.

A friend screen printed up some T shirts for me to sell at Bonneville to help with the finances. I spent most of the time in impound and didn't sell them all. I have a few large and X large left. $20 post paid anywhere in the world. If anyone is interested let me know.
By weslake at 2010-08-06
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby Bigshankhank » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:26 am

Damn shame a large looks like a tent on me, if you scare up another M I'll contribute to the effort.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Metalredneck » Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:40 am

Congrats, mate! PM sent about shirt awesomeness.
Done.
Metalredneck
Largely Uncontroversial

Postby stiles » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:25 pm

jangleplatz! I'm sorry we didn't catch up - I got there later in the week. What a blast that place is. I did get to see the twin-turbo Ferrari Enzo do a few licensing runs...
"If we cannot be free, we can at least be cheap" - Frank Zappa
stiles
Ayatollah of Mayhem

BANNER!:
Argentina

Postby obiwancanopy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:03 pm

Kenny, one of my crewmen, (Jeez I feel like a racer LOL!!) sent me this video he made of the 125.715 run. The first bike out is Willie Buchta on his 1000cc Harley sidecar. Don't know the second solo. Then me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwoRBeNkrTk
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby xtian » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:51 pm

First thing in the morning this just mad evey hair on my body stant stiff. thanks
I want an alarm clock that makes that sound :)
xtian

Postby MATPOC » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:23 am

obiwancanopy wrote:Kenny, one of my crewmen, (Jeez I feel like a racer LOL!!) sent me this video he made of the 125.715 run.

You called it (like some famous baseball thing that I still don't understand) I heard you say "Than I will go 125!"

Ossum vid!
MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Postby Zim » Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:06 am

Congratulations!
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen
Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Postby Bigshankhank » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:48 am

Got my Screwball t-shirt today, wicked awesome. Here's to making a showing at Maxton on the East Coast one of these days.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby obiwancanopy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:27 pm

I want to say thanks to all who ordered T shirts. They ae otheir way. I recieved some cool UTMC stickers. This one is no on the nose of the sidecar. UTMCers rule!

[img][img]http://a.imageshack.us/img834/3602/img17402.jpg[/img]
By weslake at 2010-09-04[/img]
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby Rev » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:59 pm

Awesome.
I have a pawn shop typewriter now. The gov. gangsters have sprayed it with an odor that makes me sick and vomit. I type on the back door step in the fresh air.
Rev
51 Miles Better Than Rolly

Postby Jonny » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:08 pm

Damn, I've been hibernating in Aus and missed all of this.

Congratulations, Bill! Fanfuckingtastic work! :D

Oh, do PM me your postal address. I've got something for you.
Jonny
Sausage Pirate

BANNER!:
Japan

Postby Metalredneck » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:34 am

Check is in the mail!
Done.
Metalredneck
Largely Uncontroversial

Postby xtian » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:59 am

Bill, you managed to have it delivered on the very day of my birthday !! :)

thanks a lot, it's just salt for most people but it's like moon dust for me :)
xtian

Next

Return to Features & Columns