The Bonneville Report (of sorts)

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.

Re: The Bonneville Report (of sorts)

Postby obiwancanopy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:58 am

Yeah, salt is in a bad way right now. The SCTA will make a final decision on the 22nd. The mining company is destroying the salt and the BLM dowsn't give a shit. But drive out on what's left of the salt and pour a quart of oil on the salt and the BLM will have a swat team on your ass in the blink of an eye. They really have to stop the mining and the salt will recover. But at the rate they are going the sign will soon have to be changed to "Welcone to the Bonneville Mud Flats"

The Triumph is scheduled to run Aug. 24-27. I believe its an FIM meet. They have a tough row to hoe. 376 is a stout record. But I'll wish them luck. The salt conditions also add to the task.
God rides a Triumph. But wishes it was a Norton.
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby obiwancanopy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:33 pm

Just got word that Bonneville has been cancelled again. Sucks the big one.
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby Pintgudge » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:52 pm

Sorry to hear it.

At least you didn't drive there only to turn around.
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak
Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

BANNER!:
Cascadia

Postby obiwancanopy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:48 pm

We did that last year. Spent the weekend in Wendover and headed home Monday. Calling the meet now at least saves a 1400 mile drive. I feel bad for the overseas racers. There is a few from Australia. A bunch from England and a few from Europe. Most of the bikes were coming surface so they were on the high seas weeks ago. Now its a case of meet the crate at the dock and send it back. A lot of money down the drain.
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby obiwancanopy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:24 pm

Its been a long time since anything was posted on here. Mostly because there has been nothing to report. The BMST meet, World of Speed, World Finals all have been cancelled. And today Mike Cook's "Shootout" for the really fast guys went south. The BLM couldn't give a shit. They are getting plenty of money from Itrepid Mining so no worries there. Racers are at the bottom of the pile when it comes to the salt.

With the cancellation of SpeedWeek the SCTA did a quick two step and put on a mile meet at Mojave airport. The Mojave Mile is an established event. But its not run by the SCTA. It was sort of a consolation prize for overseas competitors. Rather than just turn their shipping crate around and send it home this event gave the an opportunity to run. My long time friend in Denmark, Ivan Rasmussen, ran. Last year he shipped a bike over for the rained out 2014 SpeedWeek. He left his bike with me and went back to Denmark. He came out here this year only to be rained out again. He had a lot of fun and ran in the low 80s. I have a solid aluminum sidecar wheel so I couldn't run on asphalt.

I'm planning on running the Nov. El Mirage. My Bonneville crew chief is coming out for the two day event as he's never been there. Plus I want to give the knees a bit more time. They are making strides and life has become a lot better. No marathons yet but the crippling pain is gone. Engine is ready to go.

obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby goose » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:00 am

jangleplatz! Wish I could join you but my calendar just became completely clogged until February. Ask me how I feel about it . . . actually, don't, it's very upsetting.
Drink triples til you're seeing double, feeling single, and looking for trouble! -Johnny Nitro, RIP

"British bikes of that era are made of a special alloy known as Brittainium. It is the only metal known to be able to rust even when fully submerged in oil. It also corrodes microscopic passages through itself whenever it makes contact with any known gasketing material." - AZ Rider

Re: Husaberg Build: "I pictured it more like the heroin addicted ex that keeps turning up, the bleeding you dry, breaking your heart, and crushing your soul, but you keep taking her back because it's the most fun ride you've ever had..." Bo-9
goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

BANNER!:
US California

Postby guitargeek » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:25 am

POPCORN!!

Lovely news on your knees, too!
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby obiwancanopy » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:32 am

Thanks guys. Its a shame you can't make it to El Mirage Goose. The summer rain has made a nice lake bed to run on. And that last bit of rain should help a bit more. And if we get the predicted El Nino the lake bed next year should be amazing. The knees have slowly been improving but over the past few days have taken a big leap forward. Hope it continues. I've been following the adventures of the "Big Red Camaro" on TV. Its a '69 Camaro that has run mainly the various miles, Mojave, Texas, Silver State Classic, Virginia City hillclimb and road races. He joined my club, Road Runners, so he could run El MIrage and Bonneville. Also as he had never run LSR before he could pick a few brains and get some tips. Last Monday was the Bonneville episode. They showed how hard it can be to run fast there. Fortunately they are a cubic dollar race team so they had lots of spares. Unfortunately they only brought two engines, both of which were demolished before the week was out. In the middle of it all they were talking about variety and showed some different vehicles. It was a surprise to see a fleeting glimpse of the sidecar. My wife called it a cameo. But it was so fleeting it was more a cam than a cameo.

obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby Rench » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:22 am

You're famous!!!!!

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni
Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Postby Mk3 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:39 am

No, he's [i]in[i]famous

phpBB [media]
"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."
Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.

Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!
BANNER!:
US Illinois

Postby obiwancanopy » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:42 am

Rench wrote:You're famous!!!!!

Yeah right!!! One second of fame. Big Red grenaded two engines. I came home with a record. Albeit a squeaked by record (.511 mph).

-Rench
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby goose » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:22 am

obiwancanopy wrote: . . . . My wife called it a cameo. But it was so fleeting it was more a cam than a cameo.

Given the purpose of that machine, and the speeds at which you travel, isn't it a true compliment to only be observed by the camera in a "fleeting cameo"? Sadly, pictures of my bike are much more akin to "still life". Have a great time out there Obiwan!
Drink triples til you're seeing double, feeling single, and looking for trouble! -Johnny Nitro, RIP

"British bikes of that era are made of a special alloy known as Brittainium. It is the only metal known to be able to rust even when fully submerged in oil. It also corrodes microscopic passages through itself whenever it makes contact with any known gasketing material." - AZ Rider

Re: Husaberg Build: "I pictured it more like the heroin addicted ex that keeps turning up, the bleeding you dry, breaking your heart, and crushing your soul, but you keep taking her back because it's the most fun ride you've ever had..." Bo-9
goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

BANNER!:
US California

Postby obiwancanopy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:06 pm

To paraphrase Oscar Wilde. There's only one thing worse than a fleeting cameo and that's not to get a fleeting cameo. It was nice to see it moving. Most photos I have are sitting still. I am having a great time out there when I can get there. When it stops being fun I'll stop. The current condition of the salt is such we may not get back out there for another couple of years. It seems with the loss of all five major events there this year enough fuss has been created that the condition of the salt can't be ignored. The BLM has said for years that there is no problem. Now there is and they can't stick there head in the salt. Because there isn't any. I'm hoping that maybe it will recover so we can run next year. In the meantime I'll settle for El Mirage. Its funny how El Mirage was just fine and dandy until I went to Bonneville. Suddenly El MIrage became a poor substitute. But it will have to do for now.
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby problemaddict » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:05 pm

Big Red is a pretty inspirational machine! Been around pushing the limits of classic iron for quite a while now.

Where was your cameo broadcast? What show?

By the way, I'll be participating in my first LSR race this weekend! Check out my thread if you haven't already seen it:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16621271

It is an ECTA event at the Ohio Mile. My goal is 170mph on my CBR1100XX...
problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

BANNER!:
US Pennsylvania

Postby obiwancanopy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:00 pm

Well, Damn PA. Why didn't you tell me about this before??? Now I'm going to sit down and read the whole thread. I had a quick scan. Noticed the fun and game drilling nuts for safety wiring. Life became a lot easier when I got a hold of a solid carbide drill bit and made a holder for the nuts.

R.J. Gottleib joined my club the Road Runners last year as he wanted to run El Mirage and Bonneville. He wanted to run something more than the paved miles he had been running and I think it was a logical extension for him seeking more speed. It was a steep learning curve for him. Both places are so much different to a paved runway. A couple of very experienced salt car guys in the club are helping him. If Bonneville ever heals and we can run again he will be back with a vengeance. My super short cameo was last week on the Bonneville episode.

The best of luck at Ohio !!! I've been talking to a friend who will be crewing on an S-10 pickup who will be there. I don't know if Dave Anderson will bring his Triumph. And maybe the Malinkys of Lowbrow Custom fame will be there. I'd like to see Tyler run the double.

I'll be expecting a full report and lots of photos. Go fast. People usually say go fast and be safe. I prefer go fast.

Again, GOOD LUCK !!!!!
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby problemaddict » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:39 pm

I haven't seem an S-10 out today. Only triumph I've seem is a naked, air cooled triple. That your buddy?
What vehicle do the Malinkys run?

I've been told a decent amount of previously salt-only teams are here. Being in the lanes without an FM radio means I haven't heard much of the announcing, so I don't know who's who our what anyone is running...
problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

BANNER!:
US Pennsylvania

Postby obiwancanopy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:14 pm

Marc posted on another forum that they made a shakedown run. Were supposed to keep it 175 or under but screwed up and ran 204. On a 192 record. The chute didn't open and they went off the end of the track. No damage but they got an ass chewing for it and for exceeding the return road speed limit. The 204 wasn't allowed byt they are in line to run tomorrow. Marc reckons 230. Dave has a 750 twin. Don't know who owns the triple.

Hope you get enough runs in to license up and be able to let it fly.
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby jae » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:57 am

problemaddict wrote:I haven't seem an S-10 out today. Only triumph I've seem is a naked, air cooled triple. That your buddy?
What vehicle do the Malinkys run?

I've been told a decent amount of previously salt-only teams are here. Being in the lanes without an FM radio means I haven't heard much of the announcing, so I don't know who's who our what anyone is running...

If I recall correctly, Tyler has a few Triumphs he's run for speed records, but this is the dual engine bike referred to earlier...

edit:
came across this one as well...

...and not sure if that ^ bike is Salt Ghost, but he's co-owner of this one as well (or was at one point)
http://www.bikeexif.com/triumph-bonneville-3
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.
jae
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
US Texas

Postby obiwancanopy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:46 pm

Tyler build some beautiful and fast bike. The green bike isn't the 'Salt Ghost". Tyler calls that one "Poison Ivy". His brother Kyle ran a gorgeous Triumph on the salt a few years back.

obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby obiwancanopy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:49 pm

The Oct. El Mirage meet was cancelled due to rain on the lake bed. Seems like land speed racing can't catch a break this year. So I'm here scratching myself. The carb was mounted down between the crankcase and supercharger. PITA to get at to do anything to it. Had to remove the exhaust pipe and wiggle it out from under the inlet pipe. With nothing better to do I moved it outside the body so I could get at it. Looks like shit but if it works who cares? Pray for no rain in Nov.

obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby AZRider » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:21 pm

I'm hoping for fair weather!
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"Don't sweat the buckshot." - Buttzilla
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn
AZRider
"I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby obiwancanopy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:26 pm

We're all praying for some decent weather. The Oct. meet went west after a rain storm blew through a few days before the event. Last Sat. was El Mirage clean up day. I didn't go as I was at the SCTA rules committee meeting. Reports say the lake bed is in fantastic shape after the rain. We can only hope the weather holds for the Nov. meet. This photo is looking back towards the start area. The white building in the background is the SCTA storage building. Doesn't take a whole lot of water to get the lake bed shut down.

obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby Jaeger » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:18 pm

—Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 (Seeking New Opportunities)
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby obiwancanopy » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:40 pm

Nothing to do with Bonneville or El Mirage. This popped up on FB today. My Norton when it had the Manx engine in it. Around 1972 or 73 The Norton is still out in the garage. A friend has the engine.

obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby obiwancanopy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:02 pm

Let me see if this works. Headed for El Mirage in the morning. Fired it up to make sure it starts. The puff is from a very low tension spring I was using on the pop off. Heavier spring is now in its place.

https://www.facebook.com/bill.anderson. ... 838952317/
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby Bigshankhank » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:20 am

Video works great, good luck this weekend!
Those are some high-ass socks, btw.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby obiwancanopy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks BSH. I'm as nervous as a cat in the dog pound. Don't know how it will work under load. My name and fashion have never been mentioned in the same sentence. T shirt and shorts and the high ass socks all year round. Might be time for a fashion consultation.
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby 12ci » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:02 pm

today you decide what tomorrow will bring
12ci
Ayatollah of Mayhem

BANNER!:
US Distric of Columbia

Postby obiwancanopy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:26 pm

What a weekend. Fired up the Weslake during the week. No problem. Sounded healthy.

http://www.youtube.com/attribution_link ... load_owner

Got to El Mirage and got through tech without a hitch.

The BLM, a couple of years ago gave the SCTA a time limit for each day for running the event. Starting numbers are determined by points accumulated at previous meets. So not having run there this year my points are zero and I'm at the back. 240 entries and my start number is 230. We sat and waited. The SCTA doing their best molasses in January imitation ran out of time. So we had to tow back to the pits and wait to run Sunday morning. As Joe was taking the sidecar off the carrier he tripped and fell backwards into the sidecar. I turned to see him in a heap. No broken bones so he was OK.

Sunday morning came and we got to the line only to find the sidecar wouldn't fire up. ?????????? Embarrassing and annoying especially as the morning was so beautiful, cool air and the lake bed in beautiful shape.

Back to the pits to try and figure it out. While Joe was tracing the connections I noticed the kill switch was badly bent. Joe must have kicked it when he fell. No way of repairing it we wired it permanently on. What the SCTA doesn't know won't hurt them. Back into line. While we're waiting (again) a flash flood warning comes over the CB. A few minutes later the wind started. Then the dust. And then it howled. Couldn't see a damn thing in front of us. Then the meet was called. Didn't get a run. Sucked the big one. See the white truck in front?

It hasn't moved. Just disappeared.

And that was it. I'm not totally unhappy. A run or two would have been nice but I'm happy to know the engine is up and running and sounds healthy. On the plus side the SCTA asked me to show the sidecar at their stand at the Grand National Roadster Show in January. Why they want a scruffy sidecar that has run for the past six years without anything more than a quick clean up is beyond me. But I've been told its a prestigious show so I guess I'll go.
obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

Postby obiwancanopy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:00 pm

A minor update. I've been invited by the SCTA to bring the sidecar to the Grand National Roadster Show in Pomona. Never been to it before but from the photos I've seen in a haven for super shiny, polished within an inch of their life machines. I fear the sidecar will look like a lump of coal in a field of diamonds. However it is what it is. I made up a little display board to draw attention away from the sidecar. Its something to do until it gets to run again next May.

obiwancanopy
Landgraf of Landspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Features & Columns