Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.

Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Postby red » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:20 am

Back in 2012, my buddy bought his first bike, a GS650GL and started the process of getting it back on the road. He would occasionally come over to put wrenches to it but never really made progress. His free time declined until the bike sat in my garage, dying a slow death. Eventually, he got married and now his wife is pregnant and the baby is due in 3 weeks. The future looked bleak for the 80's metric cruiser.

I had planned on bike shopping this coming spring but buying a whole new HVAC system kind of crapped on those plans. Knowing the GS wasn't going to see any love for quite some time, I offered to resurrect it for him if I can ride it until his life gets to a point where he can start riding. I rented a trailer over the weekend and got it to my new place. Within the hour, I started tearing it down.

KIMG0633.jpg

KIMG0634.jpg

KIMG0636.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by red on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Re: Project Bike: 81 GS650GL

Postby red » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:24 am

KIMG0637.jpg

Draining the tank and carbs.

KIMG0639.jpg

Fixed the float on #2.

Next up is bench syncing them and replacing all the stripped bowl screws with allen heads. Add a battery and some new fuel line and it should be mobile. Then it's on to replacing the fork seals, oil and airing them up.

I have some mods planned but nothing permanent. Like, 13.5" rear shocks, homebrew seat, handlebar swap and some heated grips. Plenty of time to get it ready for DOOM 2018.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby xtian » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:19 pm

congrats on the new bike ! suz gs650 were amongst our motorcycle fantasies along with honda cb900 custom back in the days when I was riding my kz550.
I'm not really from around here.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Postby red » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:49 pm

xtian wrote:congrats on the new bike ! suz gs650 were amongst our motorcycle fantasies along with honda cb900 custom back in the days when I was riding my kz550.

Thanks! Even in cruiser dress, it's a fun bike.

I'd prefer a motorcycle I actually own but it's the next best thing!
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby AZRider » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Hooray for having a bike again!!
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"Don't sweat the buckshot." - Buttzilla
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn
AZRider
"I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby guitargeek » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:19 am

Fuck yeah.
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby red » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:29 am

It's nice to see a bike in my new garage!

I couldn't find the box with the side covers, fork seals and other misc bits but thankfully he found it at his place. Now, I just need to make the time to get it on the road. After giving it some real thought, the only "mods" I'm gonna do are handlebar swap, heated grips and a charging port.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby AZRider » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:19 am

Funny thought: when that bike was last ridden, who among us would have thought that"charging port" on a bike meant anything other than a place to plug in the battery tender?
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn
AZRider

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby red » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:50 am

AZRider wrote:Funny thought: when that bike was last ridden, who among us would have thought that"charging port" on a bike meant anything other than a place to plug in the battery tender?

I had a 12v outlet on my bike in 2010 but it was for my GPS, I did not have a smart phone at that time.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby red » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:25 pm

I've been working my normal shift, plus a few (sometimes more) hours each night in preparation for a coming upgrade at work. This plus kids equals minimal
time for working on the little Zuki. Letting it slip from my thoughts makes me start to lust after bikes that I can't afford right now and that is a slippery slope
that ends up with me being pissed off and in bad mood about riding.

Today, my boss came by my desk, thanked me for my long hours and told me to disappear after lunch.

Hooray! Garage time!

I only managed to squeeze in about an hour and a half but it was productive. The carbs got new float bowl hardware, bench synced and put back on the bike. It is a serious pain in the ass to get them into the intakes. I had to use two tie down straps to help keep them in as I worked each side in. Even with new intake boots, it's still tough. Eventually I got them in and tightened up.
KIMG0726.JPG

Then I realized I made the same mistake I made last time and forgot to route the throttle cable end into the throttle mechanism-thingy. Shit. Not a lot of room to do that with out taking the carbs off again.

KIMG0729.JPG

After some serious fight, I finally got it and the choke cable routed correctly.

KIMG0728.JPG

With the carbs back on, next up is putting the air filter, rectum-fryer and misc side cover bits back on. I need to get a new battery as the one in it is dry as a bone. Once the carbs have been tested, it will be time to move on to the fork rebuild.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby red » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:05 pm

No pics this time but I have the bike back together and the new battery is on the charger.

We'll see what happens tomorrow.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby red » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:31 am

It's alive! Unfortunately, I only had enough time (and gas) to get it started and let it warm up a bit.

Looking forward to a test ride (with soggy forks).
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:16 pm

This thread needs moar photos.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:21 pm

Oh, sorry. Here you go.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby AZRider » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:06 pm

That's funny!
AZRider

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby red » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:00 pm

I hate this bike and I'm looking forward to exercising it from my garage. Got a hitch put on my Heep, now I need to borrow a co-workers trailer so I can haul this POS away!

Huzzah!
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Jaeger » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:10 pm

red wrote:I hate this bike and I'm looking forward to exercising it from my garage. Got a hitch put on my Heep, now I need to borrow a co-workers trailer so I can haul this POS away!

Huzzah!

I confess, I hauled my VT500 up to MeanChuck just to make it go away. He still has it, and says he tinkers on it occasionally, insisting it will run again. :)

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 (Seeking New Opportunities)
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby red » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:45 am

Jaeger wrote:
red wrote:I hate this bike and I'm looking forward to exercising it from my garage. Got a hitch put on my Heep, now I need to borrow a co-workers trailer so I can haul this POS away!

Huzzah!

I confess, I hauled my VT500 up to MeanChuck just to make it go away. He still has it, and says he tinkers on it occasionally, insisting it will run again. :)

--Jaeger

If he was any closer, I'd be loading it up right now and it could go live with your VT500.

It's weird how that happens. "Hey! You can ride my bike all you want, just get it running." says a friend. "No." says my brain. As if the fact that I don't own it makes me not want to do a damn thing to it. As much as I want to ride, I don't want to ride that, nor wrench on it.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby red » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:55 am

It's gone! Hooray! Now... what to do with the derelict 1987 CBR6F Hurricane in my garage. I don't mind storing it because the owner doesn't have a place to keep it. But he rarely has time/money to work on it and has expressed the idea of getting a different (aka running) bike next year. I've pondered the idea of buying it from him, knowing damn well that I don't need another project. But the price is very low and going cheap is my plan.
Last edited by red on Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Jaeger » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:00 am

[quote="red"]It's gone! Hooray! ... /quote]

Progress! Well done! Hopefully I'll be following you in the getting-rid-of-derelict-bikes department soon. :shock:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby red » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:58 pm

The temptation was too much.

Soon I will be the owner of the 1987 CBR600F Hurricane. The price was too good to pass up. Of course, I need to piece it back together and get her street worthy. No clue when that will be but at least it's easier to work on that that fucking Suzuki.

Huzzah!
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:21 am

red wrote:The temptation was too much.

Soon I will be the owner of the 1987 CBR600F Hurricane. The price was too good to pass up. Of course, I need to piece it back together and get her street worthy. No clue when that will be but at least it's easier to work on that that fucking Suzuki.

Huzzah!

Jangleplatz my friend, I am certain that with just a little honest effort that Honda will rock you like, uh, some kind of meteorological event.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:33 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
red wrote:The temptation was too much.

Huzzah!

Jangleplatz my friend, I am certain that with just a little honest effort that Honda will rock you like, uh, some kind of meteorological event.

Well, I have a feeling that if I do any multi-day trips on this Hurricane, I'm gonna need this hurry cane:
hurrycane.PNG

I guess it's time to join the CBR forums!
Anyone have a can of squid repellent? :lol: If I start wearing flat billed Monster hats and riding in a tank top, feel free to put me down.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Jaeger » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:44 am

Tupperware?

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby red » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:35 am

Jaeger wrote:Tupperware?

--Jaeger

At one point, it looked like that. The only plastic bit I have is the front fender. Which will not be used. This poor bike has had a rough life, passed from squid to squid.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby red » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:02 pm

I thought I had posted pics of this heap before but I guess not.
Here she is, nestled in with all the junk and other abandoned projects in my garage:
KIMG2435.JPG

No tupperware, as Jaeger put it. Just a nekkid bike with a bad t-stat, shorty pipe and a rough previous life.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:55 am

There's life left in her, you can wake her up!
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:16 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:There's life left in her, you can wake her up!

A guy I work with used to race an 88 and 89 CBR600F in WEMA, I believe. He said these are pretty bulletproof as long as you swap
out the automatic cam chain tensioner and keep oil in them. I have no clue if the valves have ever been touched or how the compression is.

But for $250, I'm not sure I care that much! I'm toying with the idea of getting some 1/8" black ABS and forming my own tail sections to cover
the electrical bits and rigging up a nice fat LED tail light and some big ugly turn signals front and rear. Do I rock the stock gauge cluster or
super minimal and buy this all-in-one unit? https://www.dimecitycycles.com/chrome-acewell-reg-md-052-digital-multi-function-speedometer-tachometer.html
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby xtian » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:16 pm

it has got herrrr potential. don't try to fix anything that's not broken if the goal is to ride it in the near future.
I'm not really from around here.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Postby red » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:16 am

Managed to track down a PDF copy of the Haynes service manual. I'm happy to report the valve adjustment is done via good ol' fashioned screw/nut adjusters but a service interval of 8k.
That's still better than most Ducatis!

Insurance is a bit more than my XJ but you pay a premium for high performance. :lol:

The real question is, do I start yet another bike thread or do I just keep growing inside this one, like a parasite?
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Next

Return to Features & Columns