On Sunday, the weather was nice, the oldest was on a play date and the youngest was napping, so that meant garage time!
I finally got a real chance to make room so I could actually lay hands on the CBR. I got the starter/pulse generator cover installed, thankfully it still
had a gasket on it from the seller. From there, I was able to remove the broken temp switch from the radiator but I can't find the new one the PO bought. They
run about $40 each on Partzilla, so that will be my next order. The old one was bypassed so the fan ran all the time. I'd like to put it back to how it should function.
With the radiator mounted correctly and the coolant hoses hooked up, I was able to get a game plan on where to mount the oil cooler. It was mounted on the subframe
but I don't plan on using it. I should be able to put it towards the top of the radiator with some scrap metal for brackets. Problem is, I'm missing the oil line brackets that
mount on the side of the radiator. That leaves me with floppy oil lines. Found a cheap set on ebay and they're on their way. I'm concerned they may still be too long and
I'll need to hide the slack somewhere that keeps the lines safe.
Next up was the horrible rats nest of wiring. Thankfully, I found the fuse block, and was able to get the wiring sorted out. The signal wires have all been cut and spliced.
The stock gauge cluster is too broken to use, all the mounting tabs are missing. I'll have to decide between a swanky round "all in one" unit from Dime City Cycles or a Trail Tech Vapor w/the dash. The only bit of stock lighting I have is the tail light. All the rest got tossed by the PO. In the bags of pulled cheap LED lighting and various trash, I did find the
battery box, well, what's left of it. Got it installed and mounted the starter selonoid, signal flasher and routed the battery cables.
The rear passenger peg frames are mounted in all their glorious 80's white paint glory. Originally, I was going to paint them white but honestly, I hate prepping and painting,
so they'll stay as they are. The only bit that will be painted is the tank. It's currently coated (even the cap) in cheap rattle can gloss black. I think I'll pay someone to acid
dip it and then either have it painted black again or keep it raw and clear coat it. The jury is still out on that.
Pics to come.
Last edited by red
on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.