Her name was Christina...

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.

Her name was Christina...

Postby Rench » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:56 pm

So after over 2 years of various psychological, time, and financial barriers, a week in a rental Focus really straightened out my goal of getting the old Sportster back on the road.

I'm going with the elephant-eating plan of just a little bit per day. Doesn't even matter what I do as long as I do *something*.

In the first 2 days since DOOM, I've started soaking pistons and got the new (but sitting in the box for a year now) crank cases to a local machine shop that new, understood, and agreed with everything I wanted done.

Further, an associate apparently has a soda blaster he's not using, to be dropped off next week, so the heads and other assorted parts will be getting super clean.

Once more unto the breech... :mrgreen:

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni
Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Re: Her name was Christina...

Postby red » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Looking forward to the build! Post lots of pics.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:50 am

A bike named Xtina was hurtin',
So her rider did some mechanical flirtin'.

He traded some wrenchin'
For a favor he won't mention

Cause he lost his ride from the Iron Curtain.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Jaeger » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:28 am

Bigshankhank wrote:A bike named Xtina was hurtin',

You are my fucking hero.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 (Seeking New Opportunities)
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:18 pm

Okay. Darnit.
I was trying to find that lovely old little gif of the row of smileys waving signs that say "pics or it didn't happen".
Google does not provide, nor does Bing.
So I think "search the board ..."
44 matches. For the phrase "pics or it didn't happen". Forty. Four. Matches. In total.
I'm concerned how often I think I see that phrase here, yet how few times it pops up ...

Regardless.
Anyone got that gif, hook me up, please, so I can enjoin brother Rench to let us partake in the rebirth of Xtina.
BTW, Rench:
In case you wanna maybe have photos in one place for posterity and ease of finding stuff. We've got that gallery. Don't get use a lot, but got we do it. Or something.
There's even a little guide to using it.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Rench » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:16 pm

BSH, Genius, as i would expect. DG, just haven't had time to upload. Trying to take a pic each day. Today's is just the service manual, so reading up on the next part: trans assembly.

The shop did call today, said the case needs much less work than i initially suspected. :mrgreen:

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Postby jae » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:14 am

Just for DG
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.
jae
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
US Texas

Postby Rench » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:07 pm

Spent the morning cleaning the garage and organizing the workspace. Also talked to machine shop, they wanted me to supply the roller bearing, so i got that on order.

One step at a time...

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Postby DerGolgo » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:46 am

jae wrote:Image

Just for DG

Missed that last line yesterday.

For all of us, actually. Hit "reply" and look on your right.

Sorry for the threadjack, Rench.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Rench » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:08 pm

Oil dipstick, which was always a tad gimmicky, is no longer retracting. Searching for suitable replacement.

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Postby Mk3 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Rench wrote:Oil dipstick, which was always a tad gimmicky, is no longer retracting. Searching for suitable replacement.

-Rench

Why bother? you ran it dry for the last 3,000 miles.....

That limerick gets all of my fucks. I now have no more fucks to give.

Also this -> :worthless:
"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."
Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.

Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!
BANNER!:
US Illinois

Postby Rench » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:21 pm

Spent the day getting the workspace squared away, also stripped a few more odds and ends off the old cases (oil sensor, trans breather bung, etc. Also made one big pile of all the parts that will never be going on again, getting picked up by a buddy who likes to sell stuff on eBay this Friday.

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:23 am

Mk3 wrote:
Rench wrote:Oil dipstick, which was always a tad gimmicky, is no longer retracting. Searching for suitable replacement.

-Rench

Why bother? you ran it dry for the last 3,000 miles.....

That limerick gets all of my fucks. I now have no more fucks to give.

Also this -> :worthless:

I still owe you a fuck for putting me up for the Indy Mad Max run weekend, so please receive and enjoy.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:24 am

Rench wrote:Spent the day getting the workspace squared away, also stripped a few more odds and ends off the old cases (oil sensor, trans breather bung, etc. Also made one big pile of all the parts that will never be going on again, getting picked up by a buddy who likes to sell stuff on eBay this Friday.

-Rench

Damn, too late I was hoping to get the cam cover for a piece of wall art.

Oh yeah, BTW :worthless:
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:26 pm

BTW Rench, if Ural doesn't offer this is a one-for one trade in on your current garage art piece, I suggest you give them a stern talking to.
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2017/10/13/motorcycle-news/ural-baikal-limited-edition-released/?utm_content=buffer4b630&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

It comes with a flask AND and axe.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Rench » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:46 pm

Communicated with machine shop today, new bushings are pressed, just waiting for the roller bearing in question. Also ongoing cleaning/organizing of the work space. By the time the cases get done and I have time to work,
it's gonna look like a surgical suite!! Which is kinda the point...

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Postby Mk3 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:42 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:BTW Rench, if Ural doesn't offer this is a one-for one trade in on your current garage art piece, I suggest you give them a stern talking to.
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2017/10/13/motorcycle-news/ural-baikal-limited-edition-released/?utm_content=buffer4b630&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

It comes with a flask AND and axe.

I opened that link, and saw the words that, ever since clowning around with you flatblackrat fucks, I can no longer stomach on a motorcycle "inspired by". I see "inspired by" and with pavlovian purpose blurt out fuck you.
"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."
Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.

Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!
BANNER!:
US Illinois

Postby Aggroton » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:04 pm

It lives!!!
thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Postby Rench » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:29 pm

MAde up for the lost day yesterday. MEdia blasted both pistons (Holy FUCK that's sweet how fast it works!!!),
and spent a little time making bespoke, hand-crafted, traditional, locally sourced sparks with a grinder. For like 90 minutes.
:mrgreen:

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Postby guitargeek » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:33 pm

Since you seem to be unwilling or incapable of posting a picture here, I've violated your privacy and pirated your intellectual property.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby Rench » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:47 am

To be violated by you sir is an honor. :mrgreen:

I have to admit, throwing pics on the BookFace is literally a few taps of the thumb. I have been documenting, just not a lot to see. Yet. As the cold sets in I'll have lots of time to be moving said pictures around.

And today, I ordered, or rather, corrected an order to Lowbrow Customs.

Also, I think it was Mook I was talking to at the portal, after I drained out 3 gallons of midgrade that have been sitting in there for more than 2 years, the inside of the tank still looks flawless. I'm tempted to fill it again just to keep air out, on the hope that it'll be starting in early spring anyway...

edit-I'm not one for photography, but I feel like I nailed that one. The contrast of the wall coverings, the worn in black of the (remaining) bike parts, and then bam, TANK!!

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Postby DerGolgo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:01 am

When you say "mid grade", I take it you mean oil, rather than gasoline?
Not that I ever had to winter-prep a bike. But the common method over here is to get a can of gas, turn off the fuel cock, balance the bike so the filler-hole is at the higher possible point (which should be the wintering position, with wood blocks or things to keep the tires off of the ground), and just fill it to the brim. Cleaning the carbs is, in your position right now, not a concern, I'd guess. I did see a recommendation to wait for the first cold-snap, and to then ensure the gas level is still at the brim even though it has contracted. A procedure to be repeated when one spins the wheels every few weeks to ensure tires to deform.
I have seen great debate about using additives that conserve gas for just such purposes. I guess something like that wouldn't hurt, probably.
Then, when spring comes, you can basically start up your bike, or so I gather, without having to drain/clean out oily stuff. Perhaps draining out enough gas to ensure that, when you take it off of the blocks, nothing will spill out through the tank vent.

At this point, I'd guess you have already cleaned the insides of your tank, so as to ensure there's no gunk sitting where it might get into the fuel system when you turn the fuel cock to the reserve position.
So you are in the rare position of trying out all the "how to winter your gas tank" tricks from a clean starts and report on the results.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Rench » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:40 am

The carb is a pile of gunk surrounded by dirty metal at this point, it'll get a complete rebuild in January or so.

I removed the petcock to drain the gas, so no visible gunkage. Inside surfaces look perfectly clean. My plan is, once i finish up a few cosmetic details, to reinstall petcock, fill with mid grade fuel, and top off with sta-bil fuel stabilizer. It's been my go to for every 4 stroke motor I've owned for years, with no ill effect. Hopefully have that done in the next week or 2.

Also, got a call last night that the main gear bearing (the cause of BOTH tear downs now) is in at thr dealership. Will be taking to machine shop to be professionally installed this time some time next week. Kinda feel like a hipster half-ass, somebody else is pressing my bearings while I play with a grinder and clear coat. :cry: But, better than another 40 mph seize-up.

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Postby Bigshankhank » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:38 am

Rather than waste a tank of gas which could spill in the event the tank gets knocked off a shelf and cause a fire hazard, you should just slosh some light machine oil around to coat the inside of the metal. Once you are ready to reinstall splash some gas within, slosh it around to clean out the oil residue and drain, the rest will burn off through the combustion process.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:40 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Rather than waste a tank of gas which could spill in the event the tank gets knocked off a shelf and cause a fire hazard, you should just slosh some light machine oil around to coat the inside of the metal. Once you are ready to reinstall splash some gas within, slosh it around to clean out the oil residue and drain, the rest will burn off through the combustion process.

Yup! I've done that with 2 stroke oil in the past after doing an electrolysis treatment for rust. It worked really well.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Rench » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:32 am

Duly noted on the tank treatments, will consider as I get closer to that part.

So yesterday I finally got my hands in the Ural, and it looks like it might be a connecting rod. Ever the silver-liner-looker,
I can now shamelessly dedicate my spare time to Christina, as I don't have the space or organizational aptitude to tear down 2 motors. So I guess I'll just HAVE to get the sportster running to make room for the Ural in the repair bay. Oh poor me...
:mrgreen:

Also, anyone seen any creative way to plug an 04+ oil tank? My stock cap doesn't retract anymore, and I don't want to just replace.

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Postby Bigshankhank » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:01 am

Rench wrote:
Also, anyone seen any creative way to plug an 04+ oil tank? My stock cap doesn't retract anymore, and I don't want to just replace.

-Rench[/color]

Are you referring to the filler? Does it not have a neck? The old skool fix was to wrap a worm drive clamp around the neck and tighten that bitch down with the filler plug in place.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Rench » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:04 am

Unfortunately, the 04 has a trendy spring loaded retracting cap. The spring hath sprung, or something. Point is, is won't go down flush anymore, internal failure in the cap. Also threaded, so doesn't really fit any of the universal ones.

-Rench

Edit/PS: also comprising my effort of the day, I dismantled the cap and found the cylindrical cam mechanism (about .02 cents worth of plastic) has broken, so no repair there. Officially in the market for a better idea.
"I'm not a schemer..."

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Postby Rench » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:53 am

BEtter idea for cap found! And more parts coming in. Haven't been able to do the "hands on every day,"
but falling short is still making huge progress. Main drive bearing is in at stealership, friend from work picking up today,
delivering tomorrow. Waiting (mostly patiently) on an order from lowbrow customs to come in, got an amazon present yeesterday... Getting to the point where pics will be relevant! Time to play with that...

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:01 am

Unless I'm greatly mistaken (which is the norm, though, isn't it), the question is how to put some closing thingy on the oil tank?
Just gonna throw that in here ...

A company called "Klean Kanteen" out of California apparently makes such in 18/8 stainless. 2 inches wide, dunno if that'd suffice, so like I said, just gonna leave this here ...

Also:
:worthless:

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Next

Return to Features & Columns