books

Art, Music, Literature and other non-yogurty cultured things.

books

Postby guitargeek » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:37 pm

You like books? What have you read? What do you recommend?

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/justinbelshe
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby DerGolgo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:30 am

Oh dear, and there I thought I had nothing to do this weekend. Well, here goes nothing...
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby DerGolgo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:50 am

http://www.librarything.com/catalog/dergolgo

I make no claim to completeness or accuracy. I have read all the books listed, I own most of them, but not necessarily the particular issues. I just picked 'em based on the right work in the language I read it in. Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, or remember when I saw 'em, but since most of my library is presently in boxes in storage, I can't make a more complete list right now.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby piccini9 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:59 pm

Wow, the library thing looks pretty cool.
I've read a lot of books, many genres many authors.

Last few years I've read almost all of Terry Pratchett.

Will get back to you with some kind of organized list.
Adding pink and unicorns makes everything better.
-roadmissile

Treatment may include things like riding motorcycles and crocheting… whatever it takes to counteract the deleterious effects of existence. - Rolly
piccini9
Everybody dies. It's a love story.

Postby DerGolgo » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:11 pm

What does it cost?

A free account allows you to catalog up to 200 books. A paid account allows you to catalog any number of books. Paid personal accounts cost $10 for a year or $25 for a lifetime. (See here for organizational accounts.) I conservatively predict the revenue will enable me to recline all day on an enormous pile of gold.

I only just saw this. Once I unbox my library, and add the ebooks I have, I'd cross 200 easy (I'm up to 185 just from memory of what i own). This sucks. I don't think I'm gonna complete my list.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby guitargeek » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:09 pm

I'm migrating over to goodreads, but I've found that the export/import feature doesn't really work...

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/842462?sort=title
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
guitargeek

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby DerGolgo » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:34 pm

guitargeek wrote:I'm migrating over to goodreads, but I've found that the export/import feature doesn't really work...

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/842462?sort=title

works for me. I have to change some covers and add my reviews again, but despite some error messages, all my books have been succesfully imported. I used the "Export as tab-delimited text" to make the text file from which I imported.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Sockpuppet » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:23 pm

I had been collecting books since high school. I had over the years collected almost all of RAH's books, and I had many books that were out of print for a long time. E.E. Doc Smith anybody ever dig on his stuff?
I had two hand made bookshelves I built full of books and they all burned. Insurance is better than nothing but its a scam. They took all the books put them as one line item, then gave my 33% of the value. You get the rest when you have bought all the books back, and provide reciepts, but you only have two years to do it. They know its impossible.

I really really miss my books. I had some trick books, on metalurgy, and one I need to get again on how to make race cars that dont break, and why they break.

Carrol Smith's Engineer to Win, or how to build winners that dont break. I learned so much from that book.

Sorry about the rant, I just got to thinking how much I miss my books.
Sockpuppet
Magnum Jihad

Postby guitargeek » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:45 pm

Caliann is in Texas with barely any internet connection, so she asked that I post her recommendations:

R.A. Heinlein...great brain stretchers, he was a very persuasive author.
Laurell K. Hamilton....for your sexual, dark fantasy.
Steven Brust....for your non-sexual light fantasy.
Neil Gaiman...for twistedness.
Gene Wolfe...to disabuse you of the notion that you are intelligent.
guitargeek

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby GOSTAZ » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:17 am

Random enjoyable book:

Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follett

Loaned to me by a coworker. 11th Century England, not a literary tour de force or anything, but good fun.
Primitive and Useless

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.
GOSTAZ
Ayatollah of Mayhem

BANNER!:
US Maryland

Postby Gungnir » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:28 am

hers a personal fave of mine .. its written by a vietnam war chopper pilot. damn good book. chickenhawk by robert mason u cant go wrong here
Gungnir
08 xl1200n
Gungnir
Maltov Rattlecan

Postby guitargeek » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:55 pm

Gungnir wrote:hers a personal fave of mine .. its written by a vietnam war chopper pilot. damn good book. chickenhawk by robert mason u cant go wrong here

I've read that one! Yes, it's quite good and doesn't pull any punches. When I was in military school, quite a number of first person accounts about the war in Vietnam made the rounds among the cadets. Another good one I recall was Nam: The Vietnam War in the Words of the Men and Women Who Fought There. Quite the eye-opener, it laid out the horrors of war in a very personal way that Chuck Norris movies just don't seem to capture...
guitargeek

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby rubber buccaneer » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:05 pm

I'm just finishing American Prometheus. A very informative biography of Robert Oppenheimer, his work and the controversy surrounding him. Wouldn't mind sharing it if anyone is interested.
———————
keeper of the man-t-hose™️
rubber buccaneer
Magnum Jihad

Postby rhinoviper » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:31 am

Just signed up. Thanks, Stacius! I'm trying the import now and will add more as I have time (yeah, that's a funny statement!). Sounds like amongst the crew we have a wide variety and yet a lot of overlap. I'm mostly a non-fiction girl myself.
'00 SV650 "Banshee"
'03 Aprilia Tuono "dewey"

BANNER!:
US Colorado

Postby guitargeek » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:40 am

:shock:

They're making a movie, it looks like it might be pretty good... though still horrifying and depressing.

guitargeek

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby Shhted » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:11 am

guitargeek wrote::shock:

MUST READ.
Drink beer. As much as you like. Mostly good stuff.
Shhted
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
Norway

Postby Jaeger » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:56 am

Ooh, good thread GG.

Must explore.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 (Seeking New Opportunities)
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby DerGolgo » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:58 am

Oh, so somebody turned the long-term weather forecast into a novel, big whoop :P

I'll keep it in mind, but I'm reading another apocalyptical thriller right now, and I can take only so much doom every now and then (the world is scary enough as it is).

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby motorpsycho67 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:20 am

Two books you should all enjoy....

"Japan's Motorcycle Wars:An Industry History" by Jeffrey Alexander

"Tuning for Speed" by Phil Irving (which I believe is out of print, but can be found on eBay)
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.
motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Postby urbanscum » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:43 am

Sockpuppet wrote:.

E.E. Doc Smith anybody ever dig on his stuff?

Fuck Yeah.

Had a really good second hand book shop down the raod when I was a kid. Collected LOADS of 60's & 70's Sci Fi. Was massively into Edgar Rice Burroughs Martian and Venus series (not that shite Tarzan stuff) EE Doc Smith, Heinlein, Azimov, Harry Harrison, et al.

The world was a better place to these guys, the future bright and full of promise. How wrong were they!!!

Still a good read though. Kept all the books for my dotage.
'Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.'

Bandit 1200 shiny shiny.
Yamahaha Thunderscrap - rough and ready
MonsterMoto Pit Bike (for the kids - honest)
for now...
urbanscum
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
Great Britain

Postby SSCAM » Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:43 pm

I am about a third of the way through Atlas Shrugged right now. I don't think I could even remember 1/4 of what I have read in my brief time on this planet. I tend to give my books away after I have read them.
de•moc•ra•cy
\di-ˈmä-krə-sē\ n. 1.Mob Rule, whereby fifty-one percent of the people may vote away the rights of the other forty-nine. 2.Tyranny by majority.
SSCAM
Barista of Doom

Postby bndgkmf » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:03 pm

In The Heart Of The Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick

The story that was the inspiration behind Moby Dick.

The Count Of Monte Cristoby Alexandre Dumas

Every man aspires to be the Count.
Cultus Diabolus, Laus ut Flamma, Cultus Obscurum, Amplexus Fatum
bndgkmf
The Statutory Ape

Postby guitargeek » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:37 am

I'm reading this again after probably 25 years, and I have a whole new understanding of and respect for it. Some of Heinlein's notions are pretty kooky, some are spot fucking on.

Highly entertaining.
guitargeek

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby piccini9 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:48 am

In my Christmas stocking I got.

Life Without Lawyers by Philip K. Howard

What is the What by Dave Eggers

and Brainwashed by Tom Burrell.

So glad I got reading glasses this year, I really needed them. :D
-roadmissile

Treatment may include things like riding motorcycles and crocheting… whatever it takes to counteract the deleterious effects of existence. - Rolly
piccini9

Postby rolly » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:41 pm

piccini9 wrote:ILife Without Lawyers by Philip K. Howard

When I saw Philip K I immediately though "…Dick" and I can't help but imagine A fusion of PK Dick and Robert E Howard, a psychedelic paranoid barbarian pillaging the law firms of Hyboria.
…ahem.
I really should read more. I didn't get jack for xmas but I recently got myself The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare by G.K. Chesterton from Project Gutenberg. How could I not, with words like these:

"The silly sentimentalists of the French Revolution talked of the Rights of Man!
We hate Rights as we hate Wrongs. We have abolished Right and Wrong."

"And Right and Left," said Syme with a simple eagerness, "I hope you will
abolish them too. They are much more troublesome to me..."

Maybe it was the talk of Dirk Gently, but I've also been feeling a need to soak in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's The Rime OF The Ancient Mariner, not only for the enjoyment of it, but I've had extremely silly project idea inspired by it.
rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Postby piccini9 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:50 pm

Maybe it was the talk of Dirk Gently, but I've also been feeling a need to soak in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's The Rime OF The Ancient Mariner, not only for the enjoyment of it, but I've had extremely silly project idea inspired by it.

I've been wanting to do a staged reading (if that's the right term) of that for years.
It's just so awesome and scary. And I do mean awesome, as in scary.

The very deep did rot: O Christ!
That ever this should be!
Yea, slimy things did crawl with legs
Upon the slimy sea.
-roadmissile

piccini9

Postby rolly » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:57 am

Oh, and almost forgot! If you're thinking I'm some kind of poncey intellectual with my mouldering classics, this summer I picked up Wilson by Daniel Clowes (creator of Ghost World, you might have heard of that one) ans Market Day by James Sturm. I set them aside to go for a ride or something and am only getting back to them now.

Comic books. I could put on airs and call them graphic novels but there's nothing wrong with comic books.

Wilson at Drawn & Quarterly with preview

Wilson is a comic about a misanthropic loner. It's done in a format like the sunday funnies, a series of short punchy strips, but as you read on it becomes apparent that it's not really a series of disconnected gags, but a continuing sad narrative. If that wasn't enough, each strip is drawn in a different cartoon style, with equal mastery.

Market Day at Drawn & Quarterly with preview

Market Day is a tale of a craftsman at the dawn of the industrial age finding that skills and life's work are no longer needed in the face of inferior, cheap, mass produced goods. A story that might resonate with a few of us.

Both signed by the artists, what hey!
rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Postby Zim » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:42 pm

I co-gifted my wife and myself a Kindle for Christmas, and have already outread my yearly average of books. Not that it was a great accomplishment, because two books does not a bookworm make.

I'm also late jumping on the Rev Stalking bandwagon. I re-happened upon his and Rolly's adventure of circumnavigating the you essay, an adventure documented HERE & HERE, inspired by C. K. Shepherd's book, "Across America by Motor-Cycle". (Link to book contained in thread and blog)

So with the wizardry of modern electronics, I popped the book onto the Kindle. It's been a, well, can't say "page turner", so it's been a Forward Button clicker. 48% of the way into it. Nothing against Rev or Rolly, as I would love to make an epic trip like theirs, but their jaunt was a mere cakewalk compared to that fellow <S>Cecil</s>. (EDIT: Cyril)

At one point, our British hero makes a staggering 5 miles in 6 hours time. He deals with rain and heat at a time before raingear or vented gear. Breakdowns leading to roadside engine teardowns, and a get-going-again repair with a stick. A realization that he can get away with not wearing a hat or covering his neck in the American public and not be considered rude. Farmers and service stations owners and their suspected nefarious deeds. He stands before a judge to answer for his brisk improprieties, argues with motorcycle service departments who were not keen on immediacy, fails to meet up with mailed funds, and rides a mixture of pleasant and horrible, horrible roads. C. K. was the man.

I love how
Mr. Shephard, in the book's Preface, wrote:In the following pages I have endeavoured to portray America and Americans exactly as I found them and they appealed to me. If at times I perchance may give offence to any who are lovers of all and anything American, I do it without intent.

...yet goes on to lambaste Americans later on in the book. Rightfully so in many instances.

So far a great motorcycle adventure book, and an American road history book.
Last edited by Zim on Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen
Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Next

Return to Effete Snobbery