game of thrones book 1 - wtf

Art, Music, Literature and other non-yogurty cultured things.

game of thrones book 1 - wtf

Postby sun rat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:47 pm

i read the first book recently, and it was a long read even for me.

advise me please, whether book 2 is worth reading or not, because i am a little pissed that it is not a standalone book.
fuck it all.
sun rat
Dominatrix of Skulduggery

Postby roadmissile » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:12 pm

Be warned that none of them are really stand alone, and at the current pace we're a decade out from a finished series. If the author doesn't die first...

The series is a quality example of contemporary fantasy writing, but if I could do it over I might wait until it's complete, or just watch the show :P

/RM
/Speed is our religion.

"If requests are an option, I'd like to be hit by a beautiful and highly trained nurse, driving a marshmallow. Naked. And then she would buy me an ice cream." - Rev
roadmissile
Chief Marketing Schwaggerizer

Postby piccini9 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:26 pm

I'm about to finish "A Feast For Crows" and freaking out a little.
After the next book, there's nothing until, well, who knows?
I would advise reading them all however, I love to read. :D
Adding pink and unicorns makes everything better.
-roadmissile

Treatment may include things like riding motorcycles and crocheting… whatever it takes to counteract the deleterious effects of existence. - Rolly
piccini9
Everybody dies. It's a love story.

Postby sun rat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:45 pm

well, i guess i'll get the next one then.

i'm still a little pissed though.
fuck it all.
sun rat

Postby guitargeek » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:03 pm

So what you're saying is, "I find this enjoyable, but I want it to stop."
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby sun rat » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:04 pm

no. what i am saying is: it's an interesting story, but why couldn't it be wrapped up in one freaking book?
fuck it all.
sun rat

Postby roadmissile » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:04 pm

Yeah, most books have some kind of climax and conclusion, even amongst series. These are more like reading one really long ass book and hoping the unwritten as of yet climax lives up to the story.

Oh, and taking a break from your reading for half a decade at a time ><

/RM
/Speed is our religion.

"If requests are an option, I'd like to be hit by a beautiful and highly trained nurse, driving a marshmallow. Naked. And then she would buy me an ice cream." - Rev
roadmissile

Postby guitargeek » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:17 pm

By your logic, The Lord of the Rings should have been one slim volume, including The Hobbit.

Here, I'll save you some work...

Synopsis

[spoiler]Set in the fictional continents of Westeros and Essos, A Song of Ice and Fire follows three principal storylines, divided by geography and participants, struggling to claim the Iron Throne and rule all the Seven Kingdoms of Westeros after the fall of the ruling House Targaryen and the death of King Robert.

The first storyline, set in the Seven Kingdoms themselves, chronicles a many-sided struggle for the Iron Throne that develops after King Robert's death. The throne is claimed by his son Joffrey, supported by his mother's powerful family, House Lannister. However, Lord Eddard Stark, King Robert's Hand, finds out Robert's children are illegitimate, and that the throne should therefore fall to the second of the three Baratheon brothers, Stannis. The charismatic and popular youngest brother, Renly, also places a claim, openly disregarding the order of precedence, with the support of the powerful House Tyrell. While the claimants battle for the Iron Throne, Robb Stark, Lord Eddard Stark's heir, is proclaimed King in the North as the northmen and their allies in the Riverlands seek to return to self-rule. Likewise, Balon Greyjoy also (re-)claims the ancient throne of his own region, the Iron Islands, with an eye toward independence. This so-called War of the Five Kings is the principal storyline of the first four novels; indeed, the fourth novel primarily concerns Westeros's recovery from it in the face of the coming winter and the political machinations of those seeking to gain in its aftermath. In the wake of the war, four of the five self-proclaimed kings have been killed, leaving Stannis as the sole survivor. The Iron Throne is currently held by Tommen Baratheon, allegedly Robert's son, but illegitimate too. His former regent, Cersei Lannister has been deposed and imprisoned in King's Landing by the clergy. Stannis and his army, having gained little support from the Great Houses of Westeros, are presently at the Wall, far to the north where Stannis seeks to protect the realm from the threat of invasion, and simultaneously win the favor of the northern strongholds.

The second storyline is set on the extreme northern border of Westeros. Here, many thousands of years ago, a huge wall of ice and gravel was constructed by both magic and labor to defend Westeros from the threat of The Others, a race of now-mythical creatures living in the uttermost north. This Wall, 300 miles (480 km) long and 700 feet (210 m) tall, is defended and maintained by the Sworn Brotherhood of the Night's Watch, whose duty is to guard the kingdom against the Others. By the time of the novels, the Others have not been seen in over 8,000 years, and the Night's Watch has devolved into essentially a penal colony: it is badly under-strength, manned primarily by criminals and refugees, with only a few knights or men of honor to stiffen them, and spends most of its time dealing with the human "wildlings" or "free folk" who live beyond the Wall. This storyline is told primarily through the eyes of Jon Snow, bastard son of Eddard Stark, as he rises through the ranks of the Watch, learns the true nature of the threat from the north, and prepares to defend the realm, even though the people of Westeros are too busy warring to send support. By the end of the third volume, this storyline is somewhat entangled with the civil war to the south.

The third storyline is set on the huge eastern continent of Essos, across the narrow sea, and follows the adventures of Daenerys Targaryen, the last scion of House Targaryen in exile and another claimant to the Iron Throne. Daenerys's adventures showcase her growing ability as she rises from a pauper sold into a dynastic marriage to a barbarian warlord to a powerful and canny ruler in her own right. Her rise is aided by the birth of three dragons, creatures thought long extinct, from fossilized eggs given to her as wedding gifts. Because her family standard is the dragon, these creatures are of symbolic value before they have grown big enough to be of tactical use. Though her story is separated from the others by many thousands of miles, her stated goal is to reclaim the Iron Throne.[/spoiler]
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
guitargeek

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby roadmissile » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:59 pm

guitargeek wrote:By your logic, The Lord of the Rings should have been one slim volume, including The Hobbit.

I may have misinterpreted sun rat but I thought she was looking more for a definitive conclusion to book one than an immediate end to the whole story.

As much as I dislike certain elements of Tolkien's writing you have to admit each book had it's own climax, Martin seems to have forgotten that, even more so in the recent volumes.

/RM
/Speed is our religion.

roadmissile

Postby Toonce(s) » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:08 am

I am catching up on book one via kindle. Good stuff. I have been out of the habit of reading fiction, in fact the last work of fiction I read was recommended from the board (American Gods). Martin reminds us that it is the journey itself, not just the destination, but in a sparing way.

I enjoyed Zelazny's Amber series, which is similarly convoluted but that only took five books to resolve, ten if you include Merlin. The first time I encountered Martin was as the originator of the 'Wildcards' series, which is another good find.
Last edited by Toonce(s) on Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's a stack of fuck-shit on top of itself, Ninja.
Toonce(s)
Asshat Spambot

BANNER!:
US Colorado

Postby sun rat » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:02 am

roadmissile wrote:
guitargeek wrote:By your logic, The Lord of the Rings should have been one slim volume, including The Hobbit.

I may have misinterpreted sun rat but I thought she was looking more for a definitive conclusion to book one than an immediate end to the whole story.

As much as I dislike certain elements of Tolkien's writing you have to admit each book had it's own climax, Martin seems to have forgotten that, even more so in the recent volumes.

/RM

EXACTLY THIS!

i love me a great story, but i am not yet retired so i can do what my grandparents did and just sit and read all day. if i can fit in reading a complete fiction book of my choosing in a month, it is pretty rare.

this series doesn't sound at all like a nice little romance, me and the story seeing each other now and then for fun, but more like a marriage. and i'm not ready for that kind of commitment.
fuck it all.
sun rat

Postby piccini9 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:33 pm

... and The Others ate them all.

. The End.
Adding pink and unicorns makes everything better.
-roadmissile

Treatment may include things like riding motorcycles and crocheting… whatever it takes to counteract the deleterious effects of existence. - Rolly
piccini9
Everybody dies. It's a love story.

Postby roadmissile » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:06 pm

piccini9 wrote:... and The Others ate them all.

. The End.

After the fifth book I'm kind of hoping for this...

/RM
/Speed is our religion.

roadmissile

Postby guitargeek » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:28 am

A story takes as long as it takes to tell.

You can't push a river.
guitargeek

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby roadmissile » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:07 pm

guitargeek wrote:A story takes as long as it takes to tell.

You can't push a river.

But you can scalp the author's beard out of frustration, which is why I stay away from book-signings :P

/RM
/Speed is our religion.

roadmissile

Postby Toonce(s) » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:49 pm

Finished GOT 1 this morning, kinda relieved to have my life back so I'm not in hurry to start 2.

I am disappointed that the HBO series chose to add some insubstantial content while removing so much other stuff.
Trim away as needed, but don't add stupid crap. I could see substituting fabricated adaptation in order to explain a bunch
of other stuff that was cut for time, to fill in the blanks, but this has not been the case, save for one exception that I can think of involving
a dwarf and a concussion.

Kinda like having Rush playing songs from their Feedback tribute album live,
where they could have played a few more of their own songs instead.
It's a stack of fuck-shit on top of itself, Ninja.
Toonce(s)
Asshat Spambot

BANNER!:
US Colorado

Postby greasy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:35 am

yeah, a tad boring. it's just another fantasy series, but he throws in some sex and whatnot. better than a lot of other stuff, though. lost me 1/2 way through the 2nd book.

didn't like American Gods either. kind of ridiculous.

I tend to like non fiction more, I just read outliers, which was good, and the physics of the impossible, very cool.

I like Bernard cornwell for fiction, the grail quest stories were awesome, with an ending that made reading 3 books well worth it. the books are: Harlequin, vagabond and heretic. well grounded in actual history, with believable characters, complex motivations, and chains of events that cannot be easily predicted. most of these genre fiction type stories are just way too predictable, with unbelievable characters and lazy writing. Cornwell cuts no corners, I like his shit. conn Iggulden is along the same lines- historical fiction, and pretty good also.
greasy
Will Riot For Gum

BANNER!:
Vietnam

Postby absent_carlo » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:20 am

I'm just finishing up a feast for crows...I think I liked book three the best so far. Do yourself a favor and print out a map of Westeros. That helps with locations, but my brain can't handle the hundreds of characters. Also it seems like everyone has 5 names/titles.
absent_carlo
Magnum Jihad

Postby sun rat » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:42 pm

someone made an incredibly appropriate alternate book cover for book 1.
http://www.cracked.com/photoplasty_251_ ... -books_p2/
fuck it all.
sun rat

Re: game of thrones book 1 - wtf

Postby Bigshankhank » Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:40 am

Digging this thread back up.

Anyone watching this on HBO? I am not normally a binge watcher, if I get in to a show I prefer to drag it out slowly and enjoy it. However over the weekend of the 4th my wife and I sat down with my computer patched in to the TV and a streaming service and ended up on the couch for two days. So far we have made it through 2-1/2 seasons. While we enjoy it, I am kind of underwhelmed considering all of the pop culture hype surrounding it. Breaking Bad had better writing and acting and plots, but hey it had far fewer bewbs nor dragons, so I guess GoT wins that one.

I have been looking for a book series now that I am done with Ian Fleming JB books, but I admit I am a bit scared to get into this series knowing it is not finished.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Jaeger » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:56 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Digging this thread back up.

Anyone watching this on HBO? ... I have been looking for a book series now that I am done with Ian Fleming JB books, but I admit I am a bit scared to get into this series knowing it is not finished.

Mishka and I didn't start watching until the end of Season 2 but basically did the same thing -- binge watched to catch up.

Yes, we've enjoyed the hell out of it. It gets darker and weirder the farther get gets. I'm likely going to start reading the books in the next week or so.

If you're looking for good binge-watch material (that includes violence and tits), check out "True Detective," also on HBO. Season 1 is fantastic. Season 2 is... good, but not quite as good as 1, and SUPER dark. Like, head-in-oven dark.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 (Seeking New Opportunities)
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Mk3 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:19 am

I think GOT is a crappy binge watch. Some shows hold much less spellbound attention when their entirety is available, especially when you've already been exposed via social media etc to the biggest surprises. If you know that Kristin shot JR, that makes three episodes of boring drawn out shit, but if you are living it in meatspace, you can make odds in Vegas on the outcome.

Thrones is a good but not great binge watch, it is a rapt thinking game week to week; though I am glad it's drawing to a close, it seems to have crested (to me). I think at this point I can predict the viable ultimate outcomes, and that leaves just the finite details, which really aren't what I live for. Thus it has become a matter of waiting to see how his all pans out, and that is more boring to me, I don't really care who lives or dies now, just how the story ends.
"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."
Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.

Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!
BANNER!:
US Illinois

Postby Grr.Argh » Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:50 am

George certainly leaves very few stones and characters unturned. I've read 3 of them...4 of them? I don't even know any more. Whichever one it is that he ignored all the main characters and expounded on people I didn't care about, that one I started and put down.

GoT is a wild ride, and anything that has people entertained and reading (reading rules!) is great in my book. Except for Twilight. F that sparkly vampire abomination.

(I typed this, then realized the quote I selected for the board. I apparently have a real problem with Meyer).
"Stephenie Meyer: Her vampires are sparkly, which I think we can all agree is wrong." - Christopher Moore
Grr.Argh
Pin Puller

BANNER!:
Azerbaijan

Postby Bigshankhank » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:47 pm

Well I am wrapping up book 3 - Storm of Swords. Lots of reading. So many fucking names, I cannot keep them all straight who is aligned with who. When will Arya find Nymeria again? Seriously I forgot the difference between Mance and the Magnar. Thenns? Fuck Thenns, give me the Storm Crows and a couple of goats and one of us will have a good time.
<edit> fuck these books have pushed all of my Tolkien knowledge out, I was going to write something about the first age of Middle Earth and Numenarians in comparison to the First Men and Children of the Forest in GoT but goddammn it I cannot remember my eleven lords! Aragon son of Arathorn is as far back as I can remember that lineage (and I am not even certain that that is right)! Fuck you GRRM!! </edit>
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby jae » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:48 am

All this makes me want to re-read the Dark Tower series instead of bothering with GoT.
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.
jae
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
US Texas

Postby guitargeek » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:33 am

I haven't turned on my TV in almost a year, and then it was just to show my friend The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra. I watch two shows these days: Them Dead Fuckers, and Swords & Titties. I stream them on the Internet, when I can get a WiFi signal...
guitargeek

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Return to Effete Snobbery