Favorite actors

Art, Music, Literature and other non-yogurty cultured things.

Favorite actors

Postby DerGolgo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:00 pm

At last, I folded and am, as I type this, watching The Hobbit. I did try the books when I was a teen, but dictionaries for adjectives aren't much my cup of tea.
But, as I watch this, I'm impressed. Not by the movie, it's mildly entertaining, better than what I recall of LOTR, but it's so engrossing that I have the time an inclination to type up this as I watch it.

You know, some actors, even when playing entirely different, entirely unrelated roles, they always come through as the same guy to a certain degree. Tom Cruise would be one example, he never much strikes me as being whatever character he portrays. Rather, to me, he always comes across as being Tom Cruise, just portraying that character.

Not so Martin Freeman. Off the top of my head, the only other things I've seen him in are The Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy, where he was a very credible and very convincing Arthur Dent in an otherwise crappy movie, and Dr. Watson in Sherlock. Where he was a convincingly disappointed and often bewildered war veteran/private dick. Now, I'm seeing him being Bilbo Baggins. I don't see a trace of Dent or Watson, not in his mannerism, not in anything I'd notice. I was aware it was Freeman, but it actually took me a while to think of other parts he had played, because this one was again so different. There may be other great actors, but Freeman does what is most crucial about acting. Convincing the me that he is who he is portraying, that he isn't just an actor who happens to be doing the portraying. Today, he beat out Christoph Waltz as the actor who most impresses me. Don't get me wrong, Waltz is an outstanding actor, all that stuff that makes a character, the motivations, the ethics, he does that grandiosely. But he's not quite as good as Freeman in making me believe he is that character. I think it may be presence. Waltz has too much. Freeman has just the right amount, just enough so that the character remains in the foreground.

The only other actor currently active I can think off that has impressed me with such a degree of credibility is Meryl Streep.
I recall seeing her in a bit part in one film, I don't even recall which one, it was crap. But, especially compared to the other actors involved, she burnt the house down. In a scene where she was playing herself taking part in a stage production, I suddenly thought I was watching an outtake or something. She acted herself acting so fucking good, I totally forgot this might be part of the play within a movie, or even the movie proper. Have you seen Angels in America? Do you know how many parts she played? Don't look it up. Just, the next time you happen to watch it, look it up then. Peter Sellers got nothing on her in regards to multiple parts in the same movie. When I looked it up, I had to scrape my jaw of the floor. There's acting, and then there's what Meryl Streep does. In Angels in America, it wasn't like she was portraying different characters. More like, she was portraying different actors portraying different characters, two roles at once each time, and each one dead credible.

So, those two are my very favorite living actors. Martin Freeman and Meryl Streep. Not because of the parts they portray or anything of such insignificance. But because they manage to overcome my cynicism and make me believe. They can make me enjoy films and TV shows I otherwise wouldn't give a hoot about. Like The Hobbit or that movie with the play within a movie with Streep.

Who's yours? Make a choice. Favorite guy, favorite gal. Race, color, creed etc. irrelevant, even if they only appear in a soap opera or b-movies. Who, just by their craft, impresses you above all others, and why?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Re: Favorite actors

Postby roadmissile » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:08 am

Speaking of The Hobbit, Hugo Weaving is a bit too Agent Smith as Elrond, but he was fucking perfect in V for Vendetta.

/RM
/Speed is our religion.

"If requests are an option, I'd like to be hit by a beautiful and highly trained nurse, driving a marshmallow. Naked. And then she would buy me an ice cream." - Rev
roadmissile
Chief Marketing Schwaggerizer

Postby xtian » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:19 am

You mean they still use adult actors nowadays ? I thought they only used actors that look like teenagers. Can you imagine the remake of your favorite movie with a metrosexual teenager ? I bet it was already made.

I'm not really from around here.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Postby DerGolgo » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:27 am

xtian wrote:You mean they still use adult actors nowadays ? I thought they only used actors that look like teenagers. Can you imagine the remake of your favorite movie with a metrosexual teenager ? I bet it was already made.

The 1997 made-for-tv remake of Vanishing Point is your favorite movie??! What is your disease? :shock:
Or are you just trying to illustrate the shitty remake threat? Please tell me you're just trying to illustrate, please tell me you're just trying to illustrate...
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby xtian » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:36 am

:shock: :shock: of course it was the demonstration by the horror of the remake (that I even haven't seen) :shock: :shock:
The original 1971 is one of my favorites.

Just imagine ... "Night of the hunter, starring ... shia Laboeuf" or any other adult oriented movie redone with some sleek teenager actor (I'm sorry I'm not good at naming teenager actors I don't know any)
"Lindsay Lohan is ... A woman under the influence" ... you can make your own new horror remake list.
I'm not really from around here.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Postby DerGolgo » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:14 am

xtian wrote::shock: :shock: of course it was the demonstration by the horror of the remake (that I even haven't seen) :shock: :shock:

Don't. I did, because I so loved the original and this was on TV, I thought I'd watch it. Boy, did I regret that. It has, thank goodness, mostly evaporated from my brain. About the only thing I recall was a load of right-wing and pseudo-libertarian demagogy, the government is evil because they collect taxes and crap like that. They even gave Kowalski a fucking back-story, I think. I don't recall how it ended, but I also don't recall whether I managed to watch it through to the end.

xtian wrote:The original 1971 is one of my favorites.

It impressed me thoroughly, too, but it also pissed me off, indirectly. Because after watching it, I spent years trying to find a recording of "Over me", the song that plays at the end when all the spectators gather and Kowalski heads towards making his choice. Couldn't find it on CD, not on file-sharing, eventually gave up. But am still quite eager to get it. Damn, now I'm gonna try and find it once more.

xtian wrote:Just imagine ... "Night of the hunter, starring ... shia Laboeuf" or any other adult oriented movie redone with some sleek teenager actor (I'm sorry I'm not good at naming teenager actors I don't know any)
"Lindsay Lohan is ... A woman under the influence" ... you can make your own new horror remake list.

No, I try not to imagine these things. They happen by themselves soon enough, they always do. Imagining it just makes the suffering begin sooner than it has to.
I don't think I've seen either of these films you mention, I must admit. But I just found out, they did do a remake of Night of the Hunter for TV in 1991 ... it happened already.

Remakes don't always have to be horrible. The remake of 12 Angry Men, with Jack Lemon, was quite passable and good enough to make me seek out the original. Scorcese's remake of Cape Fear is regarded by many to be a fairly decent film, though I have tried to watch both that and the original and enjoyed neither so, from my perspective, they did manage to reach the quality of the original... The Front Page with Jack Lemon is also a good movie, I think, even though a remake of something from the 30s. Perhaps it's Jack Lemon. While 12 was meh and 13 was crap, Ocean's 11 is generally regarded to be miles better than the original, isn't it. I know I enjoyed it.
On the other hand, there was Dawn of the Dead, The Day the Earth stood still, Flight of the Phoenix, I am Legend, The Italian Job, Planet of the Apes, the list goes on and on...

But I think it's important to differentiate between American remakes of American movies, which may or may not be pointless, as rare as that may be, and American remakes of European or Japanese movies. Buddy Buddy is apparently based on something French, but few movies have made me laugh so hard. Perhaps because it had Jack Lemon in it. Many people also enjoy The Magnificent Seven or Star Wars, both of which are hatchet jobs of Samurai movies, from what I understand.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby DerGolgo » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:14 am

xtian wrote::shock: :shock: of course it was the demonstration by the horror of the remake (that I even haven't seen) :shock: :shock:

Don't. I did, because I so loved the original and this was on TV, I thought I'd watch it. Boy, did I regret that. It has, thank goodness, mostly evaporated from my brain. About the only thing I recall was a load of right-wing and pseudo-libertarian demagogy, the government is evil because they collect taxes and crap like that. They even gave Kowalski a fucking back-story, I think. I don't recall how it ended, but I also don't recall whether I managed to watch it through to the end.

xtian wrote:The original 1971 is one of my favorites.

It impressed me thoroughly, too, but it also pissed me off, indirectly. Because after watching it, I spent years trying to find a recording of "Over me", the song that plays at the end when all the spectators gather and Kowalski heads towards making his choice. Couldn't find it on CD, not on file-sharing, eventually gave up. But am still quite eager to get it. Damn, now I'm gonna try and find it once more.

xtian wrote:Just imagine ... "Night of the hunter, starring ... shia Laboeuf" or any other adult oriented movie redone with some sleek teenager actor (I'm sorry I'm not good at naming teenager actors I don't know any)

No, I try not to imagine these things. They happen by themselves soon enough, they always do. Imagining it just makes the suffering begin sooner than it has to.
I don't think I've seen either of these films you mention, I must admit. But I just found out, they did do a remake of Night of the Hunter for TV in 1991 ... it happened already.

Remakes don't always have to be horrible. The remake of 12 Angry Men, with Jack Lemon, was quite passable and good enough to make me seek out the original. Scorcese's remake of Cape Fear is regarded by many to be a fairly decent film, though I have tried to watch both that and the original and enjoyed neither so, from my perspective, they did manage to reach the quality of the original... The Front Page with Jack Lemon is also a good movie, I think, even though a remake of something from the 30s. Perhaps it's Jack Lemon. While 12 was meh and 13 was crap, Ocean's 11 is generally regarded to be miles better than the original, isn't it. I know I enjoyed it.
On the other hand, there was Dawn of the Dead, The Day the Earth stood still, Flight of the Phoenix, I am Legend, The Italian Job, Planet of the Apes, the list goes on and on... and they're releasing a remake of Evil Dead this year... gawd I hope this flops...

But I think it's important to differentiate between American remakes of American movies, which may or may not be pointless, as rare as that may be, and American remakes of European or Japanese movies. Buddy Buddy is apparently based on something French, but few movies have made me laugh so hard. Perhaps because it had Jack Lemon in it. Many people also enjoy The Magnificent Seven or Star Wars, both of which are hatchet jobs of Samurai movies, from what I understand. Of course, they're crap more often than not, so much is clear. Day of the Jackal, City of Angels, goodness, another list without end...

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby motorpsycho67 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:09 pm

DerGolgo wrote: I spent years trying to find a recording of "Over me", the song that plays at the end when all the spectators gather and Kowalski heads towards making his choice. Couldn't find it on CD, not on file-sharing, eventually gave up. But am still quite eager to get it. Damn, now I'm gonna try and find it once more.

http://www.mrsoundtrack.com/vanishing-p ... -download/

You're welcome
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.
motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Postby calamari kid » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:29 pm

roadmissile wrote:Speaking of The Hobbit, Hugo Weaving is a bit too Agent Smith as Elrond, but he was fucking perfect in V for Vendetta.

/RM

Don't forget Priscilla Queen of the Desert, he's got some nice range when he gets a chance to flex it.

To the topic at hand, Christoph Waltz is a pretty skilled chameleon. I keep seeing him in things and not realizing it's him until well into the watching, or even the credits. Jeff Bridges is another who could pull this off more if he wasn't so recognizable. It wasn't until his third or fourth scene in Iron Man that I realized who he was. Alan Cumming, Tim Curry, and more that aren't coming to me at the moment.
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs
calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

BANNER!:
Isle of Man

Postby DerGolgo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:10 am

motorpsycho67 wrote:
DerGolgo wrote: I spent years trying to find a recording of "Over me", the song that plays at the end when all the spectators gather and Kowalski heads towards making his choice. Couldn't find it on CD, not on file-sharing, eventually gave up. But am still quite eager to get it. Damn, now I'm gonna try and find it once more.

http://www.mrsoundtrack.com/vanishing-p ... -download/

You're welcome

Thank you! But I already found in on Amazon, since the last time I looked they got the CD and mp3s, so I just helped myself there. At a surprisingly reasonable price, even.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby motorpsycho67 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:40 pm

Humphrey Bogart
Groucho Marx
Barbara Stanwyck
Robert Mitchum
Steve McQueen
Ava Gardner
Rita Hayworth
Katherine Hepburn
Audrey Hepburn
Merle Oberon
Marlon Brando
Lana Turner
Lee Remick
Jennifer Jones
Judy Holliday
Peter Sellers
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.
motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:12 am

Yeah, but which guy and which gal of these impresses you more than all the others?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby motorpsycho67 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:33 pm

DerGolgo wrote:Yeah, but which guy and which gal of these impresses you more than all the others?

I'm not an absolutist
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.
motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:58 pm

motorpsycho67 wrote:
DerGolgo wrote:Yeah, but which guy and which gal of these impresses you more than all the others?

I'm not an absolutist

Okay, okay, you don't like picking favorites, neither do I, usually. And I freely admit that Martin Freeman probably isn't a better actor than others - but he knocked it out of the park and impressed me, fiercely so. More so than at least one other who usually does an even better job at acting, but somehow, has failed to provoke in me quite the same surprise, credulity and disorientation that Freeman or Streep provoked in me at one point or another. Christoph Waltz for example. If he seems in the mood, he can bring across a character, that character's emotions and motivations like no one's business, better even than Freeman, I think. But while Waltz makes me sympathize or hate, creates all manner of emotional reactions regarding the character he portrays, it's Freeman who, for me, becomes the character. My emotional reaction to his portrayals usually aren't as strong as to Waltz (though, perhaps, the scripts in question may have a thing to do with that), but he makes me believe like a three-year-old at Christmas.
On your list, is there none who, like Freeman has impressed me, has impressed you? Perhaps without even being the best actor on that list?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby motorpsycho67 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:41 pm

DerGolgo wrote:
On your list, is there none who, like Freeman has impressed me, has impressed you? Perhaps without even being the best actor on that list?

They've all impressed me..... which is why they're on the list.

Oh, and I'd like to add Madeline Kahn
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.
motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Postby Bigshankhank » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Geoffrey Rush, simply amazing acting skills.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Zim » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Robert Redford, for his exceptional taste.

"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen
Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Postby motorpsycho67 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:53 pm

I knew Redford was an asshole, but I never knew he was an asshole
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.
motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Postby guitargeek » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:18 pm

I'm watching Seven Psychopaths again. What a fucking great cast!
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby 12ci » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:53 pm

DerGolgo wrote:You know, some actors, even when playing entirely different, entirely unrelated roles, they always come through as the same guy to a certain degree.
yes...Rolf Lassgard is in this category. every role i've seen him in, he's unmistakeably Rolf. (always a pleasure to watch, but always...Rolf.)

i just saw "57 Giorni" and my opinion/appreciation of Luca Zingaretti has increased. i think he falls into your "Freeman" camp.
today you decide what tomorrow will bring
12ci
Ayatollah of Mayhem

BANNER!:
US Distric of Columbia

Postby Bigshankhank » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:53 pm

I am going to throw out Sharlto Copley.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1663205/?ref_=nv_sr_1
I watched District 9 a few years back, and just the other night watched Elysium, and he was an amazing example of both a weakling and a violent sociopath in the respective films. Genuinely a convincing and impressive portrayal of two such completely diametrically opposed characters.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby guitargeek » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:48 am

I'm in total agreement re: Sharlto Copley.

I've carried a torch for Tilda Swinton for a long time. It's not merely physical... I don't go for gaunt, waifish women, but she has some spark that I find engrossing.

Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
guitargeek

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby 2XSL » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:13 am

what ever happened tro James Marsters snd Ed Westwick?
2XSL
Maltov Rattlecan

Postby guitargeek » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:42 am

2XSL wrote:what ever happened tro James Marsters snd Ed Westwick?

Never heard of 'em.
guitargeek

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby wyckedsin » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:28 pm

David Bowie

Malcolm McDowell

Viggo Mortensen has surprised me a couple of times, like watch Hidalgo, then Eastern Promises, very mild man, then watch A History of Violence

Anthony Hopkins

Sadly, Johnny Depp keeps being the poster child for weird and bizarre, but some of his rolls like "Ninth Gate" show he can do 'Normal' very very well.

Charlize Theron

Maggie Smith

Goldie Hawn

Kurt Russel

Brendan Fraser is another one who is getting stuck in a rut. From dramatic actor in School Ties and Crash to comic relief in Encino Man or George of the Jungle to action hero in Mummy.
Sanity has left the building
wyckedsin
Barista of Doom

BANNER!:
US Idaho

Postby Shhted » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:41 am

Robert Mitchum is my #1. I just like his swagger.

Danny Kaye and Peter Sellers are my comedic heroes.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape is one my favorite films as it's got a great cast of many of my favorite contemporary actors/actresses.
Drink beer. As much as you like. Mostly good stuff.
Shhted
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
Norway

Postby 2XSL » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:02 am

where;s Christina Ricci go?
2XSL
Maltov Rattlecan

Postby wheezy e » Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:02 am

2XSL wrote:where;s Christina Ricci go?

OMG, she's the adorablest. Thinking Buffalo '66 spcifically.
All proceeds go to help cripple children.
wheezy e
Barista of Doom

Postby Rench » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:15 pm

I'll say it. Brad Pitt. Maybe he just picks good characters, but the dude nails his roles, and plays a pretty good spectrum. See 12 Monkeys, then Ocean's 11, then Benjamin Buttons.

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni
Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Return to Effete Snobbery