Kingsman

Art, Music, Literature and other non-yogurty cultured things.

Kingsman

Postby DerGolgo » Fri May 01, 2015 10:17 am

I was shocked. Not offended, heaven's no.
But I had not quite expected this.

I recommend watching it BEFORE opening the following spoiler tag. Great cast, plain entertaining like Bond hasn't been since Roger Moore (my favorite Bond. FUCK YOU Mr. oh-so-serious-Craig, Mr Look-at-me-sexing-the-womenfolk-Connery and all the others, Moore's Bond was absurdist sci-fi/comedy, and it was good!).

The film is delightfully violent, in such a gory-yet-flippant manner, it's the first time in years I didn't have to look away for most of the violent stuff going on.
No, the violence was almost preposterously graphic.
In a movie which, all things considered ... is not really made for jaded 40 year olds. But for texting teens, to be honest. It has a "youth-movie" motif and feel to it. And all that delightful violence and cheerful disregard for human life.
And an anal sex scene involving a Scandinavian princess.

I had not quite expected that. From some new web-only show on Netflix or Play-Station, maybe, or from a weird independent movie.
But here, we got Samuel L. Jackson, Michael Caine, Colin Firth. A-list. But in a ridiculously violent movie made NOT by Mr. Tarantino. And without that Tarantino flair that makes the violence in his movies just a bit uncomfortable to watch, real, not so ... entertaining.
I'm sure if Mr. Firth decimated the rabid congregation of a church in a Tarantino movie, as much cineastic art as it would be, it would be more disturbing to watch than here.

Heck, this movie even has the kind of villain and evil-henchmanners Bond hasn't brought since the Roger Moore era.
I mean, a hot chick who's paralympic-grade prosthetic legs are her (quite lethal and gruesome) weapon of choice and a billionaire geek with a lisp and a terrible aversion to actual violence who, still, wants to decimate the world's population? And NOT, unlike all the Bond villains of recent decades, for mere money, but to actually save the damn planet?

And yet, it's clearly a movie made for the millenial generation.
Which now has me envious. They get movies where the good guys literally explode the heads of heads of state, Swedish royalty explicitly invite the well-dressed hero to take the brown to pound-town and the deadliest death-machines around are cute girls who, technically, are severely "disabled" (she ain't).
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Re: Kingsman

Postby guitargeek » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:09 am

I gave up halfway through.
It was the youth that I found so annoying.
Maybe I'll give it another shot...
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby jae » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:34 am

I have to admit, I didn't give the movie a second thought until I watched the "honest movie trailer" on it. It was a fun-enough movie that I don't regret the time spent to watch it.
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.
jae
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
US Texas

Postby Bigshankhank » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:39 am

Well worth watching, even my wife was entertained. I think what she liked most about it was that, up until the end (pun intended) there wasn't an unnecessary love/sex interest to make the main character appear desirable.

One beef, I gotta wonder what the hell the female agent did to pass her training, when she was clearly incapable of accomplishing the one mission to which she was assigned. Sure she was capable of shooting a dog, but freezing up during a freefall training operation would be pretty unacceptable to me.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Return to Effete Snobbery