Babylon Berlin

Art, Music, Literature and other non-yogurty cultured things.

Babylon Berlin

Postby MoraleHazard » Wed May 09, 2018 11:34 am

If anyone has Netflix, it's a German language (with subtitles) detective drama. I am really enjoying the series.
666(k) Retirement Plan of the Beast. Only offered by Dis Annuities.

'91 EX500 (sold)
'04 R1150R

It's like getting bitten by a radioactive horse and instead of getting a really large cock you turn into a brony.
MoraleHazard
Vatican Sex Kitten

Re: Babylon Berlin

Postby Jaeger » Wed May 09, 2018 12:29 pm

MoraleHazard wrote:If anyone has Netflix, it's a German language (with subtitles) detective drama. I am really enjoying the series.

Netflix has actually been putting out some pretty decent stuff recently. They're gonna give HBO et al a run for their money.

Thanks for the tip!

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 (Seeking New Opportunities)
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby DerGolgo » Wed May 09, 2018 1:01 pm

I've heard about it. But German crime shows, be it procedural drama or detective stories, tends to strike me as ... contrived. Conceited. Preachy, judgmental, or desperate to be somehow "special".

So, this show. When you say it is good.
Is it in the vein of some other crime show, specifically something American?
Is it good for entirely unexpected reasons?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby MoraleHazard » Wed May 09, 2018 1:50 pm

Jaeger, agreed. They've had a bunch of good shows. Recently, I enjoyed Altered Carbon despite it being a bit too gory. I thought the book was better.

I don't watch a lot of American crime drama because to me, there's a lot of sameness too it. Way too hot people in way too nice clothes preening and sniping at each other. Sometimes, they're not bad, but there's a formula to American crime drama that makes it, to me at least, unoriginal. A lot of TV gets relegated to second monitor half viewing while I play vidja.

I only watched one German crime drama before when I lived in Holland in the late 90s, so I don't have a lot to compare it too. I guess what I like about Babylon Berlin is that it's so un-Hollywood. It's got a lot of the things I like about foreign TV, a little bit of exoticism, normal looking actors (as opposed to everyone being beautiful,) no rules against extras having a line or two, among some other things. It doesn't have Nazis (at least so far,) which gets old, IMO. It's set in the 1920s which I've always liked, and finding my grandmother's journal from her trip to Europe in the 1920s has rekindled my interest. It even has some very good and subtle humor without trying too hard to be funny. One quibble is that the writing is very complex, much like Steven Moffat's. I joke with my wife that the writer's name is von Moffatz.

As an aside, there's one scene where the main characters are trying to speak English to some American girls in a bar and it made me think of my grandmother in Germany in 1927, probably having similar experiences.
666(k) Retirement Plan of the Beast. Only offered by Dis Annuities.

'91 EX500 (sold)
'04 R1150R

It's like getting bitten by a radioactive horse and instead of getting a really large cock you turn into a brony.
MoraleHazard
Vatican Sex Kitten

Postby DerGolgo » Thu May 10, 2018 1:14 am

MoraleHazard wrote:It's set in the 1920s

There you go and bury the lead!
I just saw "detective drama" and the imagery of dozens of disappointing German shows set in the present (or what was the present at the time) came to mind.
I always thought that the legendary sideways turn that Berlin took in the 1920s needed some dramatic TV made about it.
Thanks for the recommendation, I shall now seek it out!
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Return to Effete Snobbery