The sci-fi movie thread that already exists.

La geek forumo - Y fforwm geek - Otakufōramu.

Re: The sci-fi movie thread that already exists.

Postby jae » Wed May 23, 2018 4:32 am

perhaps...

DerGolgo wrote:It's infuriating that some people can look at people of different ethnicity and see less than a person.

...and I agree completely.
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.
jae
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
US Texas

Postby Bo_9 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:31 pm

So there is this little spin off movie thats been out for a while. Is it bad that as a rabid fan of the original IV-VI I can't seem to care if I see this movie or not?
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"Just one bad day..."
Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Postby jae » Thu May 31, 2018 5:27 am

personally, I'm going through a bit of over-saturation with that particular universe at the moment. I'd be happy to revisit it in a few years.

Kinda the same with the Marvel stuff though. I've enjoyed the comic book movies since high school (late -90's or so when the first Spiderman came out), but at this stage of life I rarely make it out to theaters to see movies. Now they're stacking them up making it feel like I need to see every one before I can see the next, and I realize I'm at least 3 movies behind. Guess I'll just wait until they're all out on *easily consumable media* before I bother.
There, I said it.

jae
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
US Texas

Postby DerGolgo » Thu May 31, 2018 10:49 am

jae wrote: Now they're stacking them up making it feel like I need to see every one before I can see the next, and I realize I'm at least 3 movies behind. Guess I'll just wait until they're all out on *easily consumable media* before I bother.

I believe that is their "master plan", if you will.
Make every movie a prequel to the next, so that people won't dare miss any. DC tried the same, with Supes and Bats v Supes (seriously ... how could they fuck THAT one up?!). But DC weak, and Marvel strong. Because Marvel belongs to Disney, and if anyone knows how to milk every penny out of intellectual property while also keeping future options open, it's Disney, innit.
For me, most of the Marvel movies in recent years have been ... meh-tastic. At best. Age of Ultron? Good grief. Thor: Ragnarok?
The last good Marvel movie that comes to mind is Ant Man, the >only< good DC movie since Superman Returns was Wonder Woman. Though they fucked up the ending of the latter. Just another "big evil villain who's big and evil because he's big and evil, in the dark, with flames". Seen way too much of those.

I fear that what had once been grandiose, rare, and geek-gastic, the comic book movie, has become a tired mass-market commodity.
They must attract such large crowds, they have to feed the mass market. And a lot of the escapism is lost, as it a lot of the interesting brain twisters and what have you.
Marvel could have made good if, in the latest Spider Man movie. Instead of "an kid with spider powers gets a suit from Tony Stark", they'd have brought back Toby Maguire. Retired superhero, teacher, and father of a young boy who is starting to develop his superpowers. That would have been just enormous.
But they didn't. They rebooted instead, striking two great movies from the Marvel canon (striking the third Maguire outing from the canon I wouldn't mind, not at all). Meh.

It's not just those two, DC and Marvel.
Any comic book movie these days. Valerian. I had been waiting for a cinematic adaptation of that for approximately thirty. Fucking. Years. It was my introduction to sci-fi, when I was at least ten years too young to be exposed to a lot of the stuff in the comic books. When I heard Luc Besson would do it. The man who had made The Fifth Element and had later complained that he hadn't been able to do nice effects like he'd wanted. I was cackling with delight.
I am half blind, there is literally no point in going to a movie theater for me. I'd just get out dizzy, with a sore neck, and still I'd have seen only half the movie. So I had to wait for the Blue Ray. Literally the first Blue Ray I've ever bought. I even pre-ordered the sucker.
There was a bunch of great stuff in there, too. The whole market bit at the beginning, loved it.
The rest.
Mass-market appeal, written on an organ-grinder, by as much appeal as it had. I could live with deviation from the comic book. I could even live with quite simply the worst zero-g I've seen on screen in years (in the opening sequence). But ignoring some of the best beats from the comic, and producing a story that makes pretty much zero sense.
Just so that he can string together a bunch of fancy 3D effects.
Monsieur Besson is now on my shitlist. WAY up on my shitlist.
He had managed to make an entertaining movie out of Lucy, which is seriously one of the worst premises, worst writing, and worst fight-sequences I can even recall off of the top of my head ... and yet it was fun to watch! And Valerian? Nope.
REEEEAAALLLYYY way, way up on my shitlist.

I think comic book movies need a boot up their ass at this point. Kevin Smith should maybe do one, and I'd know just which one. He genuinely loves the medium, anything he could do with the material would come from the heart, he doesn't want to be repetitive in his filmmaking (hence isn't making much anymore ... besides producing a bunch of stinkers and sinkers ...). And he'd be perfect for Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.. If you don't know it: imagine Deadpool, but with a superhero team, half of whom are badass women, and at least as effed up as the Deadpool comics.
Or Tarantino. When he's done with his Star Trek (wheeeee!!!!!), he MUST do a comic book movie! Maybe he should reboot Superman and try to make something worth watching out of it.

There is TONS of great material in comics they could put on the big screen. Even if they shit on the source material, they can make a brilliant film! I particularly have V for Vendetta, because the central message of the comics is kicked overboard for pretty much the opposite moral lessen ... but they made a fucking. Great. Movie.
I haven't paid attention to comic books in about a decade. But even when I still did, there was tons of stuff, besides Nextwave, that is untapped.
Transmetropolitan should be an epic Netflix series. But pretty much anything else, could make ossum movies! If anyone wants to fuck over Alan Morre once more, why aren't they making a Tom Strong movie?! Where is the cute movie about the cuddly, cuddly, lethal cyborg animals We3?
Or the stuff I hear they're doing these days.
Iron Man is a young, black girl. So long as Tony Stark is in the background somewhere, that could even fit in with the modern Iron Man movie canon!
And Captain America is the head of fucking Hydra! That I'm almost tempted to try reading, because that is the fuckest. Uppest. Idea. Ever.

But it's fucking Disney. There's a reason Disneyification isn't an accolade most places are looking for.
Feck. Comic book movies. May just be. Just. "Product", from the sausage machine.

Rant Over.

P.S.: No, I mean it, Superman Returns was a great DC movie. A captacular Superman movie, absolutely. But do what I do.
Start the movie, and any time before the third act that the clown in blue comes on screen, fast forward to the next scene. Instead of a shitty superhero movie, enjoy a wacky caper-movie about criminal mastermind Lex Luthor and his remarkably inept crew as they try to make the big time! Hilarious!
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:12 am

Movie recommendation: Upgrade

This is one where I absolutely recommend NOT watching the trailer. I haven't myself, not before, nor after. I just know that, going in totally unprepared enhanced the movie tremendously. Not just not knowing what's gonna come next, but having no idea where it's going, what great set piece was yet to come. Wonderful experience.
If you trust my opinion: STOP READING!
Just read the Warning at the bottom, and go be impressed as was I. It's worth it.

What it’s about: Transhumanism, the AI future, the scary shit of it all.

It’s the future. Where, if someone can’t hack your self-driving car to kill you, they can just spit microscopic killer robots up your nose. Also, quadriplegics can live almost autonomously, thanks to speech controlled household robots.
Or they can learn to walk again with the aid of AI.
And there, the scary shit begins.
This is all I shall spoil.

It’s probably the scariest way I've yet seen to look at the confluence of transhumanism, where people enhance themselves with implants, with AI, where computers become smarter than us.
Yes, there is something scarier than Matt Smith as Skynet.

Also, it finally shows us the actual cloud that the tech sector keeps promising us.

WARNING:
Children, people with schizophrenic tendencies, and people who get scared by news like "How Tinder will kill your dog!" or "Can google read your mind when you're on the toilet? Should they?" really shouldn't watch this. There be shit in here what may giveth thee, or hardy soul, nightmares. While people of a less sterling constitution, or of lesser cynicism, may be afraid to go to sleep at all. Watch at your own risk.
Also: Violence as graphic as a Roy Lichtenstein exhibition in the sixties, when his work was innovative and controversial. Yeah, that level of graphic violence. "Drag out once famous yet getting forgotten, dead visual artist, specifically his period of his signature work and initial public exposure to illustrate just how" graphic violence.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Bo_9 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:15 pm

Netflix original "2036 Origin Unknown" watched it because Katie Sackoff. Not bad but be ready for hard sci-fi, none of that low brow action or gore stuff, straight up high concept "My doG what have they done" long game stuff. I enjoyed it but only because I like it's kind of high concept stuff.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"Just one bad day..."
Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Postby DerGolgo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:02 am

Bo_9 wrote:Netflix original "2036 Origin Unknown"

FUCK U NETFLIX!!
Why do you fucking geo-restrict your fucking ORIGINALS?!?!
Can't you get the rights for Europe?!

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby jae » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:52 am

I'll have to check that out. Just clicked through "Black Mirror - Bandersnatch" last night. Interesting concept, execution... well, I'm disappointed that I spent as much time on it as I did. It was interesting how they did some of the ripple-effects for some of the choices you can make, but I do kind of wish I'd just been happy with choices I made the first time through and left it at that rather than playing through it multiple times just to see if "cereal choice" actually made a difference.
There, I said it.

jae
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
US Texas

Previous

Return to Cyber Terror