Hipster Bike Shop Naming Site

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.

Re: Hipster Bike Shop Naming Site

Postby rolly » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:51 pm

I mean, I drink craft beer pretty much exclusively, and listen to bands you've never heard of, pretty much exclusively. My bike may have no cred and I may dress like a low-rent power ranger but on multiple axes I'm a total hipster. I'm ok with that.
rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Postby Beemer Dan » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:40 pm

Well crap. Now I'm itching to know what you said before the edits Pattio.

I don't want you guys to think I'm on board with all the silly hipster bike stuff, but fuck me if it isn't entertaining as fuck. When someone does something stupid and dangerous, it's scary. Stupid and violent? That's terrifying.

Stupid and awkward? That's embarrassing. But what if it's so over-the-top, so much of a caricature that it even become a caracature of itself. Like the original stupid and awkward thing has been so polished to perfection that it's glorious in its own crazy way. It's that feeling you get when you really dig that old song by Guns and Roses, the one that was so good it gave you chills.... But hell if you'll let anyone catch you listening to it.

there is a German word for being witness to such terrible embarresment that it makes the witness uncomfortable- help me out here DerGolgo. That word is a bit of what I feel watching the hipster-biker circus. Holy shit... It's like Larry David is writing a season of Sons of Anarchy!
I can't look away man, it's just too absurd! They aren't half assing it man, they are fucking full on absurd. Biker beard oil? Are you shitting in my pants? How do you even make fun of that? Its a supernatural level of absurd. It's like Santa clause coming in through your gas fireplace in October and hiding the offekomen in your Carl Sagan coloring book. Man, this is the kinda stuff that really makes life entertaining.

I went to a Psychic TV party once on th top floor of an apartment building in Denver. It was mostly what you'd expect for a punk rock sorta party in the 90s (it may have been the late 80s actually), except the lights were all up bright as fuck, there were all sorts of weird looking mad science machines all over te place and bigass fucking Tesla coils blowing off lightning. They were a nice bunch, definitely into their own thing but friendly and welcoming. There wasn't any beer or grass or speed or acid (well....battery acid), just electricity. Everyone was wandering around talking and laughing and being happy while sticking electrodes all over themselves and each other and well... Electrocuting stuff. Lots of music too... and pinball machines.

This was not normal.

I took a moment to weigh my options, but decided to roll with it and try it out. It turns out that playing with electricity is really fun. One person on either side of me, each holding an electric wand in one hand and their other hands on my shoulders. A nice buzzing tingle, not enough to cause any distress... like that first big gulp of too hot coffee on a cold winter morning.

"Put your finger on the middle of your forehead"

When I did there was visual static, like my reality channel had a sticky signal, like someone was using a vacuum cleaner in the next room. There were a bunch of other cool little tricks that did fun and interesting things (electric charged fucking looked like fun, and for some reason electricity makes brushing your teeth much more exciting).

At first glance, this whole party looked like some silly and potentially dangerous tribute to stupidity, but after being there for about ten minutes it was all really pretty fun. If I had read about it somewhere, along with a bunch of pictures of it all, I would have waved it off as just some goofballs with too much time, access to electrical knowledge and maybe a bit of cultish crazy. The thing is though, they were a really cool bunch and were very welcoming and easy going. It was a fun night without bullshit and useless drama.

I guess I feel the same way about a lot of the goofball stuff that washes up on the shores of civilization. It may not be my thing, but as long as everyone involved is having fun, who am I to poop on it? I'm betting plenty of the scene hipsters will move on to something other than bikes (steam powered washing machines are the cool new ride brah, did you bring your smoking jacket and golf clubs?), but others will get into it for life and figure out the answers to the really tough questions, like how much does a full face modern helmet not suck when riding through 500 miles of bees? What I do know (or at least I think I know), is that people with more money than brains are fickle fuckers, and "lifestyle" is their kind of cocaine. They were mad boners about Harleys in the 90s, adventure bikes and cafe racers in the aughties, and now they are all over the place with whatever the hell it is... Shit, I don think they care what kind of bike it is as long as it's "done" in the preferred way. They'll be cyborg cowboys next, or pretend to be starving musicians, or whatever.

I just think it's all really entertaining, and I'm wondering why none of us are trying to sell them artisan beard oil, or hand-spun monkey-wool scrote pajamas, or iphone cases shaped like old crumpled Italian cigarette boxes. What if the next big absurdity is tennis? Gods damn that'll be boring. Instead of yelling at those damn kids to get off our lawn, let's get them to make crop circles. Let's see just how ridiculous it can get.

Oh, and thanks for the boost to the top DerGolgo, damn it's good to be home.
They swore it was the correct one, but swearing doesn't make a sprocket fit where it doesn't want to. --WeAintFoundShit
Beemer Dan
Dark Poohbah

BANNER!:
Cascadia

Postby DerGolgo » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:20 am

Beemer Dan wrote:there is a German word for being witness to such terrible embarresment that it makes the witness uncomfortable- help me out here DerGolgo.

The only thing that comes to mind immediately is the verb "fremdschämen", feeling ashamed for/on behalf of somebody else. In a way of projecting that shame on yourself, the way I have gathered it. I'd say I've always gathered it thus, but I'm sure I first heard that word some time this millennium, after 2005 or so, so I'm not sure it's been in popular use very long. At least, I don't think I've ever heard it before I started reading a specific blog, I'm sure I recall thinking "now that's a clever neologism".
Another person may also be "peinlich", but that's just embarrassing, the adjective.

Beemer Dan wrote:I guess I feel the same way about a lot of the goofball stuff that washes up on the shores of civilization. It may not be my thing, but as long as everyone involved is having fun, who am I to poop on it? I'm betting plenty of the scene hipsters will move on to something other than bikes (steam powered washing machines are the cool new ride brah, did you bring your smoking jacket and golf clubs?), but others will get into it for life and figure out the answers to the really tough questions, like how much does a full face modern helmet not suck when riding through 500 miles of bees? What I do know (or at least I think I know), is that people with more money than brains are fickle fuckers, and "lifestyle" is their kind of cocaine. They were mad boners about Harleys in the 90s, adventure bikes and cafe racers in the aughties, and now they are all over the place with whatever the hell it is... Shit, I don think they care what kind of bike it is as long as it's "done" in the preferred way. They'll be cyborg cowboys next, or pretend to be starving musicians, or whatever.

Good points, nothing anyone can disagree with. But, something tells me, enough people get into that hipster thing and feel a social pressure to be such a hipster, rather than exploring what they'll really enjoy.
Then again, once anything gets popular, I almost always sense a required/expected conformity and exclusion of those not conforming enough, or at all.
Worse, many people who do conform, but wouldn't mind associating with people who don't, may feel the need to demand conformity and practice exclusivity after all, because doing that may be part of the modes of behavior they perceive as necessary to conform. Like the RUB who really doesn't care that you ride a Gixxer, but will still refuse to have a coffee with ya, so that the other RUBs don't see him associating with the wrong kind of rider. Social pressures that divide people seem to flow from "lifestyles", in my perception.
Some people, when they notice they don't immediately recognize who's part of the in-crowd and who isn't, what everybody else seems to do so naturally, they may become extra-zealous, lest someone notice they aren't really hip themselves.*

Beemer Dan wrote:Oh, and thanks for the boost to the top DerGolgo, damn it's good to be home.

My pleasure entirely!

But then again, I'm a socially crippled freak who has the urgent emotional need to rationalize why he has few friends and must find blame elsewhere in order to prop up his own tottering ego, so what do I know. I even come up with self-deprecating rationalizations to make it look like I'm so self-aware, I know my own flaws and am all humble about my opinions and shit!
Everybody plays the be-the-cool-kid game, even I. It's human, there's nothing wrong with it. I've just, almost all my life, been on the outside, no matter how much I tried to get in, so I'm hopelessly biased against any kind of popular fashion or trend. Liking something just because it's popular is dumb, truly, but through my messed up eyes, any kind of fashion adherence looks like that, I instinctively suspect anyone fashionable of just following the herd.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Beemer Dan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:24 pm

I agree with the points you make DerG, and I think aside from sociopaths and those lucky enough to have a mighty ego and enough self confidence (or self delusion), we're all pretty shaky when it comes to self confidence and social interactions. The thing I find amusing is that most people I know are insecure about social interactions (especially unfamiliar situations), and yet it rarely shows and when it does it's pretty normal. It's really hard to dive in and just roll with social stuff, which is I would guess is why material possessions and alcohol are so popular. I think people go with fashion and social trends to blend in with the kind of people they want to socialize with. Motorcyclists wave to each other because we both know a small part of who the other is, and we've never met them. Someone wearing expensive designer jeans sees another person wearing the same brand and instantly can make a dozen assumptions about them, as well as themselves as a reflection of the other's behavior.

And beer, that makes almost anyone easier to get along with, unless they are a shithead and then it makes punching them in the face easier.

I think another thing that I don't mind about the hipster-biker bunch is that everyone takes pride in attempting to do their own thing. Most of it seems to be a mix and match out of the same Pintrest search terms, but they aren't closed off to different and weird the way the traditional RUB sects are. Once it gets past all of the pretentious bullshit it's probably pretty normal. I know I'm stepping on dangerous ground by saying all this, but to date not a single rider that I would put in this category has been a dick to me. Not that I've met a lot of these skinny jean, waxed hair, raw denim t-shirt, only listen to vinyl biker folk, but the ones I have we're pretty nice. I felt like I was a dick mocking them in my thoughts before I talked to them.

I think most of us feel we are socially retarded much of the time (I have anxiety about phone calls, what the fuck is up with that?). We all put on some sort of mental and physical costume to get ourselves out the door. Those fucked up dreams where you're out in the world not wearing pants are terrible....unless nobody else is wearing pants as well. It isn't the pants, it's the conformity.
They swore it was the correct one, but swearing doesn't make a sprocket fit where it doesn't want to. --WeAintFoundShit
Beemer Dan
Dark Poohbah

BANNER!:
Cascadia

Postby AZRider » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:11 pm

Hipsters are an easy target, and deserve the potshots they get.

But as I keep thinking about it, I'm a lot more in favor of this flavor-of-the-moment motorcycle crowd than the last one.
1) Hipsters are young, and most of them will grow older eventually. If they get into bikes now, they may be a member of the family for a long time to come. We're not getting any younger ourselves, ootmiks. Douchecanoeists were generally already old, part of the same demographic of motorcyclists who formed a big bulge in the curve, but will soon "age out" of riding.
2) Hipsters are riding bikes that are mostly fun to ride, and that reward improving their skill. Douchecanoeists rode awful-handling machines that rewarded having the sense to drop the kickstand at the very first pub.
3) Hipsters are part of the forward-looking generation. Douchecanoeists are looking back on their glory days (or trying to make up for having pissed away their youth working 90-hour weeks at Goldman Sachs). They are angry old white men.
4) Hipsters obsess over details of "quality" and "authenticity," which means they care about the machines they ride and what went into them, even if they are bought not built. Douchecanoeists just want to say hey dropped half as much as my mortgage on a piece of two-wheeled ass-jewelry from some famous guy on TV.

The list cold go on, but that's the basics. I think I'd rather hang out with a crowd of hipsters dressed up like the 1970's than a crowd of dentists in gay pirate costumes, trying to act like the people they looked down their noses at in the 1970's.

That, and Dawes is pretty good as Jackson Browne tribute bands go.
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"Don't sweat the buckshot." - Buttzilla
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn
AZRider
"I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby greasy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:11 am

speaking of redneck bikers, and how the old biker culture is much worse:

these guys are still around. they come into a bar i work at and i cringe when i see the bastards.

these 'clubs' often use mexican slang, listen to the grateful dead, have long filthy hair, etc. but they are not hippies, they are fascist, racist, sexist, homophobic dicks.

two guys and a haggard looking 'old lady' were in this weekend. rebel flag and ss patches in less visible spots. everything kind of on the down low, not too obvious, so they could walk around looking like cool guy bikers, but still let the other haters know they share their bigot stance. those types have mastered the art of being cool individually while being more dicklike as the group grows, enough backup and they go into full-dick-mode. just like skinheads.

to me, it reeks of cowardice. i try to be accepting of all, understand that people can be misled, might change, bit i cant stand these guys.

the woman is wearing a "property of" patch, and seemed meek, miserable. broken women with no self esteem seem to be the only types willing to be pissed on and passed around, refered to as property, etc. the guys were telling racist jokes and being dicks, didn't pay the cover for the bands, and hung out for hours without buying drinks.

one of them told my beautiful awesome gf that he liked her lightning bolt tattoo. she told him it was a harry potter tattoo and had nothing to do with fascism :P that shut him up. shes part jewish and im sure serving him was as nauseating as it could get.

anyways, they are still out there. they can fake it, but when it comes down to it these clubs dont allow blacks, women, etc. sure some of them will party with the 'black biker club' guys from down the street, but they prefer to keep their own clubs segregated.

sons of anarchy is a myth, the reality is fat, scuzzy old bigots who treat women like shit. probably because a real, solid, tough chick wouldnt give them the time of day.

i probably sound pissed and unreasonable, but these guys take up way too much of the visible motorcycle spectrum, definitely over-represented. and i want nothing to do with their take on moto culture. they represent everything i don't like more or less. big, heavy, poorly-built, flashy bikes built by a co. run by lawyers is reason enough for an engineering student like me.

but the backwards thinking and woman hating is the piss-icing on this shit-cake.

so, yeah. hipsters are much prefered to rednecks.
Last edited by greasy on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
motorcycles.
greasy
Will Riot For Gum

BANNER!:
Vietnam

Postby GeekGrl » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:07 pm

Slightly off topic ...

@greasy: where you bartending in Seattle?
"This is what I do, darlin'. This is what I do." -- Mal Reynolds

'09 Triumph Bonneville
'02 Suzuki GZ250 (sold, may it have new journeys)

Tales from a solo ride: www.waywardrider.com
GeekGrl
Magnum Jihad

Postby GeekGrl » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:18 pm

Also slightly off topic ....

@rolly: Hi Rolly! :-)
"This is what I do, darlin'. This is what I do." -- Mal Reynolds

'09 Triumph Bonneville
'02 Suzuki GZ250 (sold, may it have new journeys)

Tales from a solo ride: www.waywardrider.com
GeekGrl
Magnum Jihad

Postby greasy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:23 pm

I removed the name just in case. I don't want the bar to get negative attention.
motorcycles.
greasy
Will Riot For Gum

BANNER!:
Vietnam

Postby Pattio » Mon May 04, 2015 1:41 pm

These people choose to remove the front brake from motorcycles for aesthetic reasons.
Last edited by Pattio on Mon May 04, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Pattio-
Pattio
Centrifugal Savant of Two Wheel Transportation

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Pattio » Mon May 04, 2015 1:46 pm

They remove the front brakes from motorcycles.
-Pattio-
Pattio

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby goose » Mon May 04, 2015 8:44 pm

everything hipsters do is ok
Drink triples til you're seeing double, feeling single, and looking for trouble! -Johnny Nitro, RIP

"British bikes of that era are made of a special alloy known as Brittainium. It is the only metal known to be able to rust even when fully submerged in oil. It also corrodes microscopic passages through itself whenever it makes contact with any known gasketing material." - AZ Rider

Re: Husaberg Build: "I pictured it more like the heroin addicted ex that keeps turning up, the bleeding you dry, breaking your heart, and crushing your soul, but you keep taking her back because it's the most fun ride you've ever had..." Bo-9
goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

BANNER!:
US California

Postby Pattio » Tue May 05, 2015 11:16 am

-Pattio-
Pattio

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby problemaddict » Mon May 11, 2015 4:04 pm

this joke keeps rolling around and around in my head like on a loop. and I keep cracking up at random intervals... :D
problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

BANNER!:
US Pennsylvania

Previous

Return to Rants & Rides