Goose grabs a wrench . . . aka, why Kev is single part 1

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.

Goose grabs a wrench . . . aka, why Kev is single part 1

Postby goose » Mon May 11, 2015 3:08 pm

So, I bought a donor motor off a kid for my Husaberg project. I wanted spares of the outer covers (unobtanium now that Berg is defunct), spare crank, transmission, bolts, clips, stuff and a spare 450 head will fit the 650. I spoke to the seller " . . . yadda yadaa was running fine, then just stopped, no weird feeling and may just be out of gas." No, I wasn't buying the story but the price was ok. Not my usual bargain and much higher than some of the offers he received from others, but still, for my purposes, very reasonable.

So, it shows up in a box wrapped in a garbage bag filled with oil (didn't drain it before shipping). I took it to the power wash just to see if there was really a motor under all the black oily schmutz!

here it is after the power wash and draining the oil (have some before pix somewhere, just couldn't find them)

a little elbow grease but still pretty mucked up:

cases removed showed big fat chunks of metal - not good. Uncoupling the head from the case showed some nasty carbon build up:

a little elbow grease (right!) and the head cleaned up pretty nice:

Goes with my new kitchen decor:

trying to get everything sorted:

outer cases removed and internals cleaned up. Looks ok, but I know something is really f'ed up due to the numerous and large metal chunks i keep finding. Uh oh!

cleaned up the piston, some light damage to the top of it, definitely metal making it's way into the combustion chamber:

More plastic and metal bits showing up, suspicion of main bearing failure practically confirmed:

after lots of parts bagging, cataloguing and removing, it's showtime for the damage inside the center cases, it's going to be ugly! And it is:

Truck broken into, even the homeless won't take Husaberg parts:

Time for coffee:

Other broken motor (mine) revealed a broken cam chain issue:

Drink triples til you're seeing double, feeling single, and looking for trouble! -Johnny Nitro, RIP

"British bikes of that era are made of a special alloy known as Brittainium. It is the only metal known to be able to rust even when fully submerged in oil. It also corrodes microscopic passages through itself whenever it makes contact with any known gasketing material." - AZ Rider

Re: Husaberg Build: "I pictured it more like the heroin addicted ex that keeps turning up, the bleeding you dry, breaking your heart, and crushing your soul, but you keep taking her back because it's the most fun ride you've ever had..." Bo-9
goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

BANNER!:
US California

Re: Goose grabs a wrench . . . aka, why Kev is single part 1

Postby guitargeek » Mon May 11, 2015 3:52 pm

Yay! Boo! Yay some more! Boo some more!
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby goose » Mon May 11, 2015 4:44 pm

My case just became the prime candidate for having the cases machined to accept a bigger roller bearing that may be better suited to deal with the axial play of the flex crank.

this:

instead of this:

inside a housing like this one built for harley's:

Drink triples til you're seeing double, feeling single, and looking for trouble! -Johnny Nitro, RIP

"British bikes of that era are made of a special alloy known as Brittainium. It is the only metal known to be able to rust even when fully submerged in oil. It also corrodes microscopic passages through itself whenever it makes contact with any known gasketing material." - AZ Rider

Re: Husaberg Build: "I pictured it more like the heroin addicted ex that keeps turning up, the bleeding you dry, breaking your heart, and crushing your soul, but you keep taking her back because it's the most fun ride you've ever had..." Bo-9
goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

BANNER!:
US California

Postby guitargeek » Mon May 11, 2015 6:05 pm

What else can you do to bulletproof this motor?

You know, since you're already in there...
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
guitargeek

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby goose » Mon May 11, 2015 7:02 pm

believe me, i'm doing it all. Since I'm going to need the cases machined anyway, I'm switching from the Husaberg 10mm oil pump to the KTM RFS 12mm (would have done the Ktm Atv 14mm but that isn't really necessary with my year of motor - prior to 2002, I would have done the 14mm and milled the motor down two and the cover by 2mm. Instead, I go down one on the motor and 1 into the cover without having to make my own oil pump cover. all good! Yep, updates as we go!

goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

BANNER!:
US California

Postby guitargeek » Mon May 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Popcorn, man.

Popcorn...
guitargeek

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby DerGolgo » Mon May 11, 2015 11:43 pm

Promise, once you have it together, you'll put on a white coat before firing it up and, when it blubbers into life, you will raise your arms in triumph and scream "It's alive! IT'S ALIVE!"

Popcorn, indeed!
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue May 12, 2015 4:46 am

Or just do what I did and buy a new bike.

Seriously, this is awesome. Keep up the good work.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby goose » Tue May 12, 2015 9:19 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Or just do what I did and buy a new bike.

Seriously, this is awesome. Keep up the good work.

In the same vane; "Dude, stop it with the Swedish Meatballs already and get some Terriaki and Sushi! Your stomach and your wallet will thank you later!"

I've decided it's an orphan thing. Dead company that was on life support it's entire existence and still won 9 Enduro Championships and 1 Supermoto Championship. Not too bad for 6 Swedes in a barn (yeah, Ktm bought them, but they had a shed at the end of the factory, pretty funny actually). Now abandoned and foresaken. They are simply too cool to allow them to just rot away.

Besides, I need to learn how to do this stuff and I already have most, if not all, the parts I need. They're broken already, may as well try and fix them up :). And DerG, I will definitely don a Lab Coat and video the "It's ALIVE" moment should it ever come to pass!

goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

BANNER!:
US California

Postby guitargeek » Tue May 12, 2015 10:46 am

goose wrote:should it ever come to pass

Of course it will! What choice do you have?
guitargeek

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby Bo_9 » Tue May 12, 2015 12:27 pm

goose wrote:I've decided it's an orphan thing

I pictured it more like the heroin addicted ex that keeps turning up, the bleeding you dry, breaking your heart, and crushing your soul, but you keep taking her back because it's the most fun ride you've ever had...
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"Just one bad day..."
Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Postby MATPOC » Tue May 12, 2015 6:27 pm

Wow, the elbow grease (and caffeine) makes for some amazing results...

Get a KTM already, it's fucking reliable
MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Postby goose » Wed May 13, 2015 10:48 am

Bo_9 wrote:

I pictured it more like the heroin addicted ex that keeps turning up, the bleeding you dry, breaking your heart, and crushing your soul, but you keep taking her back because it's the most fun ride you've ever had...

I just knew you'd pull back the curtain and expose the Wizard! Yep, much more accurate.

goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

BANNER!:
US California

Postby Mk3 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:01 pm

I posit this is one of many reasons Kevin is single. He also smells bad.

The berg is simply the most Jangleplatz reason.
"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."
Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.

Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!
BANNER!:
US Illinois

Postby Bo_9 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:15 pm

goose wrote:
Bo_9 wrote:

I just knew you'd pull back the curtain and expose the Wizard! Yep, much more accurate.

I think that most of us that wrench on anything have all been there at one time or another.

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"Just one bad day..."
Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Postby wyckedsin » Fri May 15, 2015 8:03 pm

:popcorn:
Sanity has left the building
wyckedsin
Barista of Doom

BANNER!:
US Idaho

Postby goose » Tue May 19, 2015 10:40 pm

updates are coming. Hopefully more sooner than later. Still, I continue to be amazed by this motor. It is really quite simple - ie, not really many parts to it. Additionally, I am fascinated by the ability to see a 59lb motor just slightly larger than my hand that cranks out 60hp at the wheel - - stock! Heading to machinist tomorrow to view the progress. In the meantime, there is this -

goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

BANNER!:
US California

Postby wyckedsin » Wed May 20, 2015 2:00 pm

there are entirely too many fingers in that photo...

just sayin'
Sanity has left the building
wyckedsin
Barista of Doom

BANNER!:
US Idaho

Postby AZRider » Fri May 22, 2015 7:10 pm

Keep the news coming!
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"Don't sweat the buckshot." - Buttzilla
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn
AZRider
"I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby goose » Sat May 23, 2015 12:03 pm

Never go full retard! But I did anyway. Metal special tools board (thing weighs like 40 lbs!)

and all the tools:

Got the complete set plus some other tools he had a machinist make for berg rebuilding. I think it's cool. Now I just have to learn how to use them!

the shop (storage facility on Treasure Island):

taking five:

A completely different kind of "tranny" in San Francisco:

Cleaned up a frame I bought. Has a plate from Idaho though I'm reticent to believe I can get one here

My new buddy. Chased my truck and jumped in as soon as I opened the door. Hung out with me all day and just watched me work

goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

BANNER!:
US California

Postby DerGolgo » Sat May 23, 2015 1:33 pm

What is it with ootmicks attracting stray dogs?!
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby guitargeek » Sun May 24, 2015 11:50 am

That's a good lookin' dog! He got a name?
guitargeek

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby Mk3 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:05 am

I think the pup is volunteering as your new truck alarm.
"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."
Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.

Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!
BANNER!:
US Illinois

Postby Jaeger » Wed May 27, 2015 6:15 am

Mk3 wrote:I think the pup is volunteering as your new truck alarm.

Fuck knows he needs something other than his luck to keep his vehicles intact. :shock:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby goose » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:18 pm

no BRRAAaaap, kickstarter spring must have "popped" when I put on the outer case. Gotta do it all over again . . . . . ahh, life

goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

BANNER!:
US California

Postby DerGolgo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:01 am

goose wrote:
no BRRAAaaap, kickstarter spring must have "popped" when I put on the outer case. Gotta do it all over again . . . . . ahh, life

Gives ya time to find a lab coat (see above).
Also, regarding everything else:
GOOD JOB MAN! BLOODY GOOD JOB!!

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Bigshankhank » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:50 am

Well practice makes perfect. Have fun with it.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Bo_9 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:27 am

goose wrote:no BRRAAaaap, kickstarter spring must have "popped" when I put on the outer case. Gotta do it all over again . . . . . ahh, life

At least the kicker is on the proper side...

"Just one bad day..."
Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Postby goose » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:15 pm

Got Braaap! Running lean. The real problem is the kicker still isn't right (not returning to full upright position). Yep, 5 more hours of tear down and rebuild. Here's some more pics of the slipper I took last night after tearing it down . . . . again:

It's really like a piece of art. I love cool machining. I think I'm going to learn how to do it. Am I the only one who finds precision machining ant bearings fricken cool? Even just to look at?

goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

BANNER!:
US California

Postby DerGolgo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:19 pm

No, you're not.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Next

Return to Rants & Rides