TEST RIDE: INDIAN SCOUT!

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.

Re: TEST RIDE: INDIAN SCOUT!

Postby DerGolgo » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:51 am

This may technically be headline news, but I got maybe three hours of sleep, so I can't deal with the mental conflict of posting there while there's this thread. I can just about deal with the mental conflict of posting in this thread when it would qualify as and might deserve Headline News.

On Revzilla, Lance Oliver wrote:Indian confirms FTR 1200 production model coming in 2019
For all of you who said "Just build it, Indian, and take my money," the moment of truth finally has a date. Indian has announced that a production version of the FTR1200 flat-track-inspired custom shown last year will be available in 2019.

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/i ... ng-in-2019

So. Who's gonna put their money where their ... no, I don't think that works. Or does it?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Jaeger » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:24 am

DerGolgo wrote:
On Revzilla, Lance Oliver wrote:Indian confirms FTR 1200 production model coming in 2019

So. Who's gonna put their money where their ... no, I don't think that works. Or does it?

Yeah, that's what I was trying to say in my last post (that they've announced production for next year), but i realized later it wasn't clear. That was just the vid from the article I saw.

Given that Indian is running a .99% financing deal on Scoutscurrently (through end of month) and the Fed just announced they're hiking interest rates... I'm planning on heading over to my local dealership this week to discuss how I get to put one of these in my garage:

(ABS model.)

That's not the FTR, of course. After thinking about it, though... I'm a middle-aged man who's really only a mediocre rider, and I've no business on another sportbike. I'll get dead or incarcerated. Also, the good financing is almost certainly going to go away.

Furthermore, I expect that the ergos on the FTR are not going to agree with me. I like my big fat cushy cruiser seat. (I've even mostly ruled out the Scout Bobber due to the consistent criticisms of the saddle.)

If the FTR were available now and I could get the current financing deal... I'd at least test ride it, but I expect i'd encounter the same problems on it that I did with my SV650 -- sore knees, sore ass, sore back...

The real question now is what will happen to Athena. She has "Issues" that may or may not be worthwhile to fix. I certainly don't have the wherewithal to fix her, and I expect they aren't going to give me shit for trade-in on a 15-year-old semi-functioning bike. I don't have room in the garage to store her... ? I dunno. I'll never get my money out of her, of course. I'd love to mothball her for some future day, but... we'll see. :P

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Pattio » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:34 am

I'm very exited about the FTR 1200 announcement. I don't anticipate being able to afford one, but it sounds like something I would really like. In typical Goldilocks fashion, I am imagining that it would be a layout that I could make into more of a sport-tourer than a flat-tracker. The dream of a concho-free American bike that I can love continues. A V-Rod that is more upright and has ground clearance. An 1125r that is less racey. A Scout that is less cruisey. Porridge that is just right.
-Pattio-
Pattio
Centrifugal Savant of Two Wheel Transportation

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby 0l4fderstout » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:31 am

I know thaqt while the scout tends to have forward controls, there are aftermarket mid controls out there in rumor land. (I like the forward controls on longer rides, but would happily move the controls mid if I could keep the front pegs as a second place to put feet after 6-8 hours on the bike.)
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby Bigshankhank » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:20 pm

I fucking stoked for you Bill, go get that scout.
As for Athena, don’t be afraid to let her go, hanging on to her will not do you any good.
As for the FTR, I fucking dig it but yeah, the possibly coincidence of a timeline where I have that type of discretionary spending joined with internal combustion engines still being fun is unlikely.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Jaeger » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:47 am

Deposit is down. Meet "Lilah."

Should be taking possession next week. :mrgreen: :evil:

FWIW: I also test rode the new Triumph Bobber. Yep, it's basically what I was trying to turn Athena into, but better than she could ever be. That engine is also fuckin' fantastic, but much more... uncivilized. Sharper torque curve. Less comfortable (likewise the Scout Bobber, which is gorgeous but a hemorrhoid-maker).

This is my first new bike in 14 years. :shock:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby DerGolgo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:24 am

Jaeger wrote:Deposit is down. Meet "Lilah."

***pron***

--Jaeger

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Bigshankhank » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:37 pm

Jaeger wrote:Deposit is down. Meet "Lilah."

Should be taking possession next week. :mrgreen: :evil:

FWIW: I also test rode the new Triumph Bobber. Yep, it's basically what I was trying to turn Athena into, but better than she could ever be. That engine is also fuckin' fantastic, but much more... uncivilized. Sharper torque curve. Less comfortable (likewise the Scout Bobber, which is gorgeous but a hemorrhoid-maker).

--Jaeger

It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Bigshankhank » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:38 pm

Ah shit, that was supposed to be a knob polish. Congratulations Jeager, you deserve it.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Jaeger » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:Ah shit, that was supposed to be a knob polish. Congratulations Jeager, you deserve it.

phpBB [media]

Deserve's got nothing to do with it. ;)

I'll see you in hell. :mrgreen:

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby xtian » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:20 pm

congrats ! after three years of platonic romance, it's about time you asked her out. Nobody wants to be the richest man of the graveyard anyway (and that sort of argument my dealer gave me)
I'm not really from around here.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Postby Jaeger » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:46 pm

Moo hoo ha ha... :evil:

She is mine! Yes! She is mine! :mrgreen:

Almost three years since I had my first spin, but dammit, sometimes dreams do come true.

I'll get some more pix once I have her properly "branded." ;)

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Bigshankhank » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:00 am

That is super-Jangleplazt! So how long until Mishka starts making noise about getting her a new bike also?
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Jaeger » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:28 am

Bigshankhank wrote:That is super-Jangleplazt! So how long until Mishka starts making noise about getting her a new bike also?

Yeah, I'm pretty psyched. Planning on burning through some of the break-in miles this evening after the Jägerkinder are tucked in. :mrgreen:

Dunno about Mish. I gather she's hung up her spurs for good. Still, the pillion accommodations on this are a helluva lot better than the Speedy, so... we'll see. :D

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:33 am

Jaeger wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote:... than the Speedy, so...

"the Speedy". Not "Athena". I guess you've completed the separation and migration to Lilah.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby jae » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:27 am

I'm interested to hear your opinions on the Scout after you've owned and ridden it for about 6 months. I've been considering one myself, but have yet to go for a test ride.
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.
jae
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
US Texas

Postby Jaeger » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:04 pm

DerGolgo wrote:"the Speedy". Not "Athena". I guess you've completed the separation and migration to Lilah.

She's still Athena, but... yeah, I gotta at least try to get some dollars out of her. Trying to not get overly sentimental about it. (Which is much easier with a new, functioning bike in the garage.)

If I can't get more than scrap value... fuck, I dunno, I'll bury her in the back yard? A buddy has a plan to try to fix the oil issue. Cross your fingers.

Honestly, it does feel weird to be riding such a nice, clean bike. It's been a very, very long time sin

jae wrote:I'm interested to hear your opinions on the Scout after you've owned and ridden it for about 6 months. I've been considering one myself, but have yet to go for a test ride.

Go take the test ride. If you started this thread from the beginning you saw my initial post. It still holds true.

I got to ride her—I won't say "in anger" yet, as I'm still pretending to pay attention to the break-in instructions, but—"with authority" last night for about an hour.

It's been a long time since I've had such a case of the giggles. Like, serious, uncontrollable (likely, maniacal) laughter. :mrgreen: :evil:

It is probably unwise that I have a bike this fast—especially one with brand-new shiny slippery tires. :shock:

It's not quite as torquey as the Triumph (either the new Bobber or Athena), but it's plenty adequate. I'm still trying to figure out the throttle-by-wire as well as a new (and very different) clutch.

I dont' like the tach. It's digital, and you can only see it in one "mode" of the "Multi-function Panel."

Then again, I think the tach might be superfluous most of the time. The manual says redline is 8.3k, but apparently that's just the limiter, the engine will happily do more... (Cycleworld originally published it as 9k.)

For example, I was loping along at nearly 70mph in 5th at under 4k RPM. Engine wasn't really trying, almost lugging.... And I had another gear to go. (This is what made me get the giggles.)

She's like a slightly more sedate Kawi ZRX—so much power on tap that you could make due from dead-stop to 100 in third gear alone (with some delicate clutch work). I know this is possible. I did it on GOSTAZ's bike.

She's happy to be a little putt-putt cruiser, but if you turn that throttle just a little bit farther... magical things happen. :mrgreen:

Also:

Branded for life.

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby 0l4fderstout » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:20 pm

Yeah, unless im doing 50-55 on the scout sixty, 5th is kind of a waste. (60's only have 5 speeds..) also LOL@Skrapl.
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby Jaeger » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:24 pm

0l4fderstout wrote:Yeah, unless im doing 50-55 on the scout sixty, 5th is kind of a waste. (60's only have 5 speeds..) also LOL@Skrapl.

When I actually get a chance to ride, I'm so deep in cop-infested suburbia that I always wind up on the highway to get anywhere. The Speedy will cruise happily at 80 all day long, but you had to keep the revs a bit higher to do it. Often, tho—and it's a joke on the BonnevilleAmerica forum—I'd find myself reaching for "the elusive 6th gear" she really ought to have. Note that the new Tri Bobber is a 1200cc with 6 speeds.

I'm really looking forward to getting (1) through the break-in period, which absolutely must happen before DOOM; and (2) the chance to open 'dis mawfuggah up on the highway and really let her scream. It's what she's meant for. :mrgreen:

But I finally get to "Buy American!" without sacrificing a goddamn thing -- quite the contrary. That, Mr. MoFoMoCo, is what gets customers. (Long live Eric Buell!)

No chance to ride tonight. Hoping to find some time tomorrow evening, and have a planned ride Sunday evening.

Tee hee. :evil:

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Jaeger » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:04 am

Had my first real good ride last night. Pulled on to the D.C. beltway a few minutes before midnight. She's legitimately been "ridden in anger" now, though I'm still trying to pay some attention to the break-in procedures. Burned an entire tank of gas (from fill-up to to the indicator light: about 100 miles). Tires should finally be scrubbed in. Accidentally kissed The Ton. :mrgreen:

I've read some things about the front end getting "squirrely" at high speed. I think I see what they mean. The steering is surprisingly light at highway speeds. Not necessarily in a bad way, but you need to be mindful of how you handle the bars. She's just quite different from Athena. .

Athena is still easier on the ass. I think, however, that before I replace the seat I'm going to tinker with the footpegs. I'm already accustomed to feet-forward, and Lilah's no worse than Athena in that regard, but something's not quite right.

She WILL accelerate quickly enough that I wish there was a bit more backstop in the saddle. I suspect I'll be springing for a back rest.

Gonna get through break-in before I do anything or make any alterations. Want to think it through this time.

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby 0l4fderstout » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:47 pm

I did ~870 miles into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan on Saturday. most of the time i was rolling along at 80 Mph, lots of great technical riding. The little sixty didn't even hesitate. I had a few spots where I wound up passing a few vehicles at a time on a long straight stretch (piled up at 40 MPG in a 65) I may have found that 110 is completely in my grasp, with a bit of engine effort. (The new seat worked phenomenally) I dumped some phone photos to https://www.instagram.com/kuhfeldt/ I also played with The Gopro a bit. Still trying to find good mounting spots, but I shot off to the Lake Michigan side of the Mackinac Bridge while I crossed. I think I'll try it again with the multicamera set up and a bit more futzing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPjc7m2M1AQ
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby Jaeger » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:09 pm

0l4fderstout wrote:I did ~870 miles into the Upper Peninsula of Michigan on Saturday. most of the time i was rolling along at 80 Mph, lots of great technical riding. The little sixty didn't even hesitate. I had a few spots where I wound up passing a few vehicles at a time on a long straight stretch (piled up at 40 MPG in a 65) I may have found that 110 is completely in my grasp, with a bit of engine effort. (The new seat worked phenomenally) ...

Oh, I've no doubt. It's still basically a liter-bike. Hell, my old SV650 would pull 125 with my fat ass on it. If it won't go faster it's cause it's limited.

Question, tho: What seat, pegs, and highway bars you running? I get tingly feet or asscheeks after about an hour in the saddle. Need to figure out adjustment options.

Also, any advice on where to get a luggage rack? You have Indian OEM or someone else? (I think rather than getting saddlebags I'm getting a tail pack.)

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby 0l4fderstout » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:45 pm

Seat: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/212-16 ... r-backrest This corrected the geometry of my feet on the pegs. I'm running what I assume are stock pegs and the weird ass tiny pair that I'd like to swap out for a moustache with road pegs for the second foot position. This is the luggage rack I bought, as it is similar to the vintage scout rack: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/803-95 ... ggage-rack There are other options, the OEM rack is nice and sturdy looking too. I really want to replace these OEM Leather cover bags, all but one of the snaps have now pulled through the leather. (The snap base is only secured by a small leather disc under the surface, no screw or adhesive...) Plus they are small as hell. I need to get a bit more than my first aid kit and rain gear in there.
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby Jaeger » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:42 am

0l4fderstout wrote:Seat: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/212-16 ... r-backrest This corrected the geometry of my feet on the pegs. I'm running what I assume are stock pegs and the weird ass tiny pair that I'd like to swap out for a moustache with road pegs for the second foot position. This is the luggage rack I bought, as it is similar to the vintage scout rack: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/803-95 ... ggage-rack There are other options, the OEM rack is nice and sturdy looking too. I really want to replace these OEM Leather cover bags, all but one of the snaps have now pulled through the leather. (The snap base is only secured by a small leather disc under the surface, no screw or adhesive...) Plus they are small as hell. I need to get a bit more than my first aid kit and rain gear in there.

Cool, thanks! I'm hoping to keep the stock saddle (I have the tan leather, looks cool) but it wouldn't be the first one I've replaced on a bike. Ultimately functionality needs to go before looks. I've been trying to figure out if the stock saddle accepts the OEM backrest setup, but it looks like either way I'd need to replace the saddle for a backrest. :P

I also gotta ditch the pillion and passenger pegs, tho. They're unusable as rearsets for high-speed runs, and they tend to flop down when not in use, which is annoying. That, and I desperately need to get some cargo space on that bike.

Thanks for the tip on the OEM saddlebags. I'd mostly ruled them out anwyay ($1K!?) but now they're definitely not an option. Right now i'm thinking of getting a mid-sized tail pack since I've had such shit luck with saddlebags in the past.

Another question: What are you using for spools on the rear fender? You get the OEM saddlebag-mount spools or find an aftermarket option? Everything I'm finding seems stoopid expensive.

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby 0l4fderstout » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:30 pm

I'm using the OEM spindles. (The advantage of buying used is that I can let some other sucker eat the new toy tax) They seem ok, they are easier to deal with than the stock 06 douche canoe pins.

Tan Seat, no studs: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/212-14 ... -solo-seat

I've been eyeballing these for my bike: https://www.vikingbags.com/indian-scout ... -saddlebag They come with hardware and seem to be decently built. (And they lock) but it looks like it will still be 900 bux. (I'm thinking after taxes are paid next year, the last bit of cash will go toward those.)
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby Jaeger » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:18 pm

0l4fderstout wrote:I'm using the OEM spindles. (The advantage of buying used is that I can let some other sucker eat the new toy tax) They seem ok, they are easier to deal with than the stock 06 douche canoe pins.

Tan Seat, no studs: https://www.jpcycles.com/product/212-14 ... -solo-seat

I've been eyeballing these for my bike: https://www.vikingbags.com/indian-scout ... -saddlebag They come with hardware and seem to be decently built. (And they lock) but it looks like it will still be 900 bux. (I'm thinking after taxes are paid next year, the last bit of cash will go toward those.)

I was looking at the hard saddlebags but I honestly don't need that much. I have some old leather saddlebags that're rotting in my garage. Never did get them mounted very well to the Speedy. :P

Next question: The luggage rack on the back -- does shit slide off it? I found a version that's flat here: http://www.aeromachmfg.com/product_p/ci-4011mb.htm

I don't like the way it looks as much, but I suspect it's more practical.

Then again, if you can reliably bungee shit down it isn't an issue.

Also, highway bars?

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby 0l4fderstout » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:11 pm

I'm looking for new ones.. there's some OEM ones but they are tiny. (See: Image ) there's nowhere to really hang pegs on them, which is mildly irritating. I'm coming up empty on highway bars, probably due to that big cooler up front.

I was able to bungee down a sizable soft cooler to the back rack the other day and had no problems with it sliding around, but I did use bungees judiciously. I suspect hard containers will give you some shit. (I have two soft bags that will ride there, so it was a cosmetic choice for me.)
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby Jaeger » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:39 am

0l4fderstout wrote:I'm looking for new ones.. there's some OEM ones but they are tiny.... there's nowhere to really hang pegs on them, which is mildly irritating. I'm coming up empty on highway bars, probably due to that big cooler up front.

I've honestly never run highway bars on a bike so I'm not quite sure what to look for. Still, I'm trying to not blow a lot of money on trial-and-error finding the right set-up. I know I saw one last night that had highway pegs, but i'll keep that in mind.

Google snooping shows several makes, but it's often hard to see how they'll look on the bike or whether they're made from annealed butter. :P

0l4fderstout wrote:I was able to bungee down a sizable soft cooler to the back rack the other day and had no problems with it sliding around, but I did use bungees judiciously. I suspect hard containers will give you some shit. (I have two soft bags that will ride there, so it was a cosmetic choice for me.)

I'm thinking most (if not everything) that I'd need to secure would be soft-sided. I'm looking at synthetic tail bags that are easy to take on and off. My only other concern is whether I'll need to get the spools/spindles to provide mount points since there is really nothing else to grab on to back there.

--jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby 0l4fderstout » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:14 am

The two rear fender screws on each side are where you would mount your bag supports. The spools seem to be geared only for the OEM bags. I'll try to get a picture of how they mount up. (The SM might be a better resource.. I'll check)
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby Jaeger » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:32 am

0l4fderstout wrote:The two rear fender screws on each side are where you would mount your bag supports. The spools seem to be geared only for the OEM bags. I'll try to get a picture of how they mount up. (The SM might be a better resource.. I'll check)

Sorry, I wasn't clear -- I know the rack itself doesn't need the side bolts on the fenders, it's the bungees I think that will.

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

PreviousNext

Return to Rants & Rides