Online Motorcycle groups : Virtual Worlds- discussion thread

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.

Re: Online Motorcycle groups : Virtual Worlds- discussion th

Postby Aggroton » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:49 am

thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Postby Dr Ratbag » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:25 am

That GTA image will prohibit me from wearing my UTMC shoulder patch to BackFire Moto in Seattle WA
"Yeah well, you know, that's just like your opinion, man."
Dr Ratbag
Pin Puller

BANNER!:
US Washington

Postby Jaeger » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:11 am

Dr Ratbag wrote:That GTA image will prohibit me from wearing my UTMC shoulder patch to BackFire Moto in Seattle WA

Howso? Is that out of preference, speculation/caution, or you were told "don't wear that here"?

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Dr Ratbag » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:18 am

Howso? Is that out of preference, speculation/caution, or you were told "don't wear that here"?

Caution.., Backfire is a large general motorcycle social event that is free to all bikers. Unfortunately patchholders (Bandits and HA) have started to attend this monthly event to publicly mark their territory. I would prefer to avoid any questions/hassles regarding my UTMC patch from the scooter trash prospects.
Dr Ratbag
Pin Puller

BANNER!:
US Washington

Postby Jaeger » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:20 pm

Hrm. It's a reminder why I generally avoid joints like that. It's easy to do around here (Balt-DC), but I know it's a wee bit different out west.

Then again, I'm a old-fart suburbanite with kids. I don't get out very much any more. ;)

This is still the sort of issue I (and many) want to avoid. Remember, we're a cult, not a club. I've read that nomenclature is important.

Anyway, hopefully your caution is unwarranted, but I can't blame you for it. Do what you gotta do.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Pintgudge » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:27 am

No, see, Backfire is a long running meetup started by folks who wrenched on their two stroke small bikes and made them nice and shared them at this meet up. It has grown from that but has been something with a feeling of community.

Dr. Ratbag, Smokey, and other ootmics have been a part of it for a long time, with a sense of belonging.

The feeling is, the bullys with patches and attitudes marking "their" territory makes it unsafe or at least unpleasant for those who took pleasure in this.

I think it was started by members of the Cretins, a group who had their own separation issues with the patch holder clubs.

Smokey would know more than me.

So, it goes deeper than just " do what you gotta do".
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak
Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

BANNER!:
Cascadia

Postby jae » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:33 pm

I hate to fuel this again, but the use of the logo in the GTAO thing and ensuing discussion was the primary reason I didn't order the "sparky" design on the back of the sweatshirt I got.
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.
jae
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
US Texas

Postby Aggroton » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:38 am

We can rehash this all you want. It just bogles my mind the amount of weight you think the goings on of 12 gamer dorks in a fictious world carries. Noone that you guys are concerned about have any idea what hapoened on GTA. None of you cared either. Lets get that straight. Until the beloved logo, that doeasnt belong to anyone, but the people who use it, popped up on a search in google. Panties became bunched by a very loose association with 1%er culture. The Profile of said UTMC GTA IG. Where it stated we followed 1%er Rules. With a Large Question Mark beside it. Which no one caught either. Or were to enraged ro notice. Instead of anyone asking where it came from, or why it was there, perhaps from the person whonput it up. I received no message on the IG inquiring what was happening. I did get a couple of very threatening emails. I also recived a panicked email from my publishing company that someone was threatening a lawsuit.I never in a million years thought I would need approval from anyone. Nor do i give a fuck if I have it now. I used to. I used to put a lot of weight into what this club thought about me. That was my mistake. This cult has become stagnant. I was trying to move things forward. Gain new blood. Recruit on alternative platforms. The fresh meat is not on Facebook. The Noobs are not on internet forums. All the things that attracted me to this gathering of like minded souls were smashed in the backlash of this. I just feel like this isnt the cult i signed up for anymore. Now that some time has passed my wounds are still raw. Few of you will ever understand. Those that have taken the time to try and understand are the only reason I stick around.
Last edited by Aggroton on Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Postby Aggroton » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:40 am

The fact that you wouldnt wear UTMC gear for fear of backlash...well...Ill never get that.
thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Postby Dr Ratbag » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:09 am

I just feel like this isnt the cult i signed up for anymore. Now that some time has passed my wounds are still raw. Few of you will ever understand. Those that have taken the time to try and understand are the only reason I stick around.

If you feel like this is not the motorcycle cult for you, then you should leave. Stop posting. Burn your patch and go prospect for a real biker bottom rocker.
Dr Ratbag
Pin Puller

BANNER!:
US Washington

Postby 0l4fderstout » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:33 am

Aggroton wrote:We can rehash this all you want. It just bogles my mind the amount of weight you think the goings on of 12 gamer dorks in a fictious world carries. Noone that you guys are concerned about have any idea what hapoened on GTA. None of you cared either. Lets get that straight. Until the beloved logo, that doeasnt belong to anyone, but the people who use it, popped up on a search in google. Panties became bunched by a very loose association with 1%er culture. The Profile of said UTMC GTA IG. Where it stated we followed 1%er Rules. With a Large Question Mark beside it. Which no one caught either.

I'm just going to full stop you right there.

a) I live in a region that currently is dealing with beatdowns of Riding Clubs (as recently as last summer) by 1% clubs just for existing. (I have first hand knowledge of these riders and know they weren't being posers but forming a legit suicide prevention charity club.)
b) I ride with the Legion Riders (veterans group) who get a lot of cross contamination from many of the 1% Support groups in this area. I do not want a conflict as it keeps me from taking their money and giving it to needy vets and children of vets.
c) Any conflation of UTMC with any sort of 1% mindset is not ok, mainly because of the mission of UTMC and the safety of the riders who are generally not found in groups big enough to avoid a beatdown.
d) The rest of your argument really feels like you want to join up with a more traditional club, which you may be happier doing.
e) I didn't notice, because I was busy living and putting my shit together after an auto accident, but I shouldn't have to worry about this kind of shit in the first place.
f) I wouldn't have even commented, having said most of my piece some time ago, but your leap to defend it kind of got to me. And your 'tude sucks.
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby xtian » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:35 am

so what I hear is biker gangs suck and it's dangerous to wear a back patch either or not it appeared in a fictional game where the narrative ressort is about being a bad guy. I really don't want to take side or even argue around this but it sounds like the game is mostly and opportunity to vent a valid fear and/or bitterness about this world, and angry mobs and summary executions make me uncomfortable. If someone was in charge to decide who can or can't be affiliate with the UTMC, most of us would have been kicked out already and me a long long time ago.
I'm not really from around here.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Postby Aggroton » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:32 am

Dr Ratbag wrote:
I just feel like this isnt the cult i signed up for anymore. Now that some time has passed my wounds are still raw. Few of you will ever understand. Those that have taken the time to try and understand are the only reason I stick around.

If you feel like this is not the motorcycle cult for you, then you should leave. Stop posting. Burn your patch and go prospect for a real biker bottom rocker.

Man...so far off base with what we were doing and what it was all about. I aint goin anywhere. Been here since before most of the people involved in the conversation have been, and Ill be here once they get bored too. A few UTMC members who I spoke to in person were all about this. If anyone had actually looked at the page on Instagram and the posts that were made, would have clearly understood that. But noone did. Everyone saw one single mention of 1% and got all Grade A reactionary. While we are discussing that one single mention of 1% on the IG page,"We follow 1% Rules?". The Page, which was clearly labeled GTA_OOTMIK_PROPAGANDA. Once going through the IG page you could clearly see that we were not a 1% club. The only 1% rules we were following were the in community rules of combat dictated by the social mores of the MC scene in GTA. Furthermore if one were to investigate a layer further, the only followers of the account were GTA role-play characters.

So here I will dwell. In the places where the UTMC existed before Facebook. On the road. In the Cross Keys Hotel Parking Lot. On my right tricep and bicep. On every motorcycle I have EVER owned and will EVER own will be a UTMC sticker. In the places it will be found even after the world has moved on.

So if you think I'm wrong, good for you. Im here to tell you Im not. Im not sorry for what we did on GTA. Im not sorry for the friends I had in the GTA UTMC. They are all still close comrades in our new venture. The only thing Im sorry for is more of you didnt jump on an Xbox and see what it was all about before condemning it. Whether it was a life long UTMC member behind it or not.
thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Postby Aggroton » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:40 am

0l4fderstout wrote:
Aggroton wrote:We can rehash this all you want. It just bogles my mind the amount of weight you think the goings on of 12 gamer dorks in a fictious world carries. Noone that you guys are concerned about have any idea what hapoened on GTA. None of you cared either. Lets get that straight. Until the beloved logo, that doeasnt belong to anyone, but the people who use it, popped up on a search in google. Panties became bunched by a very loose association with 1%er culture. The Profile of said UTMC GTA IG. Where it stated we followed 1%er Rules. With a Large Question Mark beside it. Which no one caught either.

I'm just going to full stop you right there.

a) I live in a region that currently is dealing with beatdowns of Riding Clubs (as recently as last summer) by 1% clubs just for existing. (I have first hand knowledge of these riders and know they weren't being posers but forming a legit suicide prevention charity club.)
b) I ride with the Legion Riders (veterans group) who get a lot of cross contamination from many of the 1% Support groups in this area. I do not want a conflict as it keeps me from taking their money and giving it to needy vets and children of vets.
c) Any conflation of UTMC with any sort of 1% mindset is not ok, mainly because of the mission of UTMC and the safety of the riders who are generally not found in groups big enough to avoid a beatdown.
d) The rest of your argument really feels like you want to join up with a more traditional club, which you may be happier doing.
e) I didn't notice, because I was busy living and putting my shit together after an auto accident, but I shouldn't have to worry about this kind of shit in the first place.
f) I wouldn't have even commented, having said most of my piece some time ago, but your leap to defend it kind of got to me. And your 'tude sucks.

Im not the guy riding around in cut with a club.

Im curious why everyone thinks Im the one wants to join a proper MC?
thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Postby Aggroton » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:50 am

That's what's left of countless man hours of content creation.
thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Postby Aggroton » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:24 am

jae wrote:I hate to fuel this again, but the use of the logo in the GTAO thing and ensuing discussion was the primary reason I didn't order the "sparky" design on the back of the sweatshirt I got.

I just want to try and understand something here?
So you guys are not rocking UTMC patches out of fear of reprisal from MC's?
Or is it just not wanting to be associated with something happening in a video game?
Or is it just because its on instagram?

I just dont get it.
We dont have a 3 piece patch do we?
I dont know if its a generational thing or what?
Im just beside myself in wonder...

I could see the rage as valid if I had redone the patch or perverted any ideals of the Cult. But the same patch, the same propaganda was used. Pushing the same message we have always pushed. The only place 1% was ever mentioned was on the description of the Main IG page. And even there it was used as a mockery of the term.

IDK. Ive never in my entire life not worn anything because it might piss some one off. This is the most bizarre thing my ears have ever heard. Alot of my shirts are worn simply to piss of a square.

My understanding of the Cult was that we get all the Benefits of being in a club with out all of the Bullshit. Thats why I stick around.
If I'm beating a deadhorse...so be it. I just want to understand why this was such a problem for so many people?
Maybe I take myself and this Cult too seriously? IDK.
Im a sociologist by schooling, Im finding all of this very interesting now that I am not so emotionally attached.
thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Postby red » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:13 pm

I don't want to rehash any of this. I'm just here to say Hello! to Aggroton.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Aggroton » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:21 am

HI RED!!!!

*waves emphatically*

I guess rehash is the wrong word.
I just want to get down to the brass tacks so I can better understand what the REAL problem was.
Cuz, I dont get it.
thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Postby red » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:45 am

Who did the artwork? That skele-boardtrack racer is pretty damn cool.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby jae » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:57 pm

I don't mind answering your questions. For the record, I'm not pissed off about it being used in the game, but that particular graphic being used in the game did dissuade me from putting it on a shirt...

So you guys are not rocking UTMC patches out of fear of reprisal from MC's? - I have UTMC patches on at least one of my riding jackets (shoulder area), and I'm not averse to wearing it around patched club members. If they ask, I'll tell them enough about our "disorganization" to explain that it's not a "motorcycle club", but beyond that, I wouldn't really want to talk about it with any of them.

Or is it just not wanting to be associated with something happening in a video game? - For me, this is closer. I get wanting to get IRL friends together in-game for shenanigans, and I can almost see it as satirical... but I guess it's the association with the exact toxic MC-culture-behavioral-expectation in-game that is bothersome, because regardless of how it's intended, there are idiots that would take it in a way it wasn't meant. Is it likely? I don't think so, but I'm old enough that I don't feel like stirring up shit just to stir up shit, unless it's in a video game. That said, the guys I know who are (or just want to be) part of that life in the real world do not take kindly to posing as such, online or otherwise. I found this out by making a simple statement I thought was innocuous... (TL:DR, I keep my mouth shut now)

I'm an officer in British Motorcycle Owner's Association. We're an AMA club founded around 40-some-odd years ago by a British ex-pat (among others) as a way for owners of now-classic British bikes to form a knowledge collective so they could keep their bikes running and occasionally take a ride together. Afore-mentioned Brit also founded the Amigos MC, now a support club for the Mexican-themed 1% MC that's big in this part of the country. He's a great guy, about my grandfather's age, who I've gotten to know through our BMOA overnight events. A buddy made a comment on one of our camping trips about MC's all being leather-clad accountant wanna-be-badasses and the conversation that ensued was rather tense. He was not unkind, but tried to convince my friend that while he excused his comments by virtue of being made by someone young and drunk, he would be best served to never repeat them again outside of that room, as many of his brothers wouldn't care and such statements in the presence of the wrong person would, best case, end with him in hospital.

That's not even the one that convinced me though. Our annual BMOA Rallye, for many years, was attended by another small club primarily comprised of orphans looking for family. They all rode rat bikes (rare to see a HD in the bunch, and certainly no chrome) and attended our rallye for free on the agreement that they paid by handling park clean up during and after the rallye. The guys I'd met up to that point were really cool, though it seemed quite a few had personal demons they were still fighting. The last time I saw any of them, the founders had left the club, and I didn't notice them doing much to help out. One night, we had a rallye attendee who was apparently stoned out of his mind (a common occurrence over the few years I saw him there, apparently stemming from a back injury and subsequent pain pill addicition). I, and our President's husband, carried him back to his camp site and got him in bed as he was talking all kinds of shit and just generally annoying everyone. I seem to recall that the guys he was with decided to just take him back home rather than stay. Afterward, I was sitting in the RV with our club's President, her husband, a couple of other random people, and the new head of this other MC. He was asking what was going on with the guy, and I, also drunk at this point in the night, started telling him about all the shit this guy was talking and how we had to carry him back to his tent, etc. Guy gets quiet, leaves, and about 5 min. later we hear the orphans firing up their bikes and taking off. This is around 2AM. After this guy walks out, our President let me know what a bad idea it had been to share any of that information. (Another aside, she grew up around all kinds of motorcycles:dirt racing, traditional HD riding outlaw MC crowd, really all of it... she's one of those people that's a natural leader. She's loud, fun to be around, everyone knows her, she'll drink and joke around with anyone, and is not afraid to kick ass. I'd say "figuratively", or "verbally" to that last, though I also couldn't rule out literally kicking a guy's ass. Lots of interesting stories with her, but I'll leave it as everyone respects her as a motorcycle rider. She's treated more like "one of the guys" by all of these guys, never just like an "old lady".) Apparently the new leadership in this MC were trying to make a name for themselves and "move up" to being a support club as well. She said she wouldn't be surprised if the club members followed this other guy all the way back to Dallas just to make a point. I really have no idea what happened after that. Stoned guy was fired from his job (he was at the rallye with his employer) from what I heard, but never saw/heard from him or the orphan club again.

Or is it just because its on instagram? - I don't really care about it being on IG, personally.
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.
jae
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
US Texas

Postby Aggroton » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Idk. I guess I just always thought that the reason most of us belonged here is because we do misfit shit and dont give any fucks to the fucks that would give a fuck?

The Mission Statement of the GTA UTMC was no different than the mission statement of the IRL UTMC.
The GTA UTMC was there to defy the stereo types but still participate. Just like we do IRL.

Participation is key. We have grown our ranks through attraction not promotion. If we arent out there rocking us, why are we rocking us?

Why not just join the Legion Riders, or Blue Knights, or any other MC or RC or Cult or whatever.

I dig goin fast, skulls, blowin shit up, shooting guns, burning down the establishment, disrupting the status quote, nuking and paving and getting to gether with like minded miscreants to discuss and revel in such indiocricies. These are things I feel the UTMC represents. These are the tenants upon which I joined. This is why UTMC is and will always be a part of my life. Perhaps I may take myself and my shit too seriously for some of you? If so I would urge you to read the first statement in this reply again.

IDK...like I said, just trying to figure shit out.
thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Postby Aggroton » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:26 pm

red wrote:Who did the artwork? That skele-boardtrack racer is pretty damn cool.

I would scour the internet for hours looking for anyones art that had a hint of UTMC in its blood.
Artists were tagged and given due credit.
I cant for the life of me remember most of the artists.
The one phone I had that I did all of this from, that all off the pertinent information, got thrown in to a toilet in anger.
thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Previous

Return to Rants & Rides