Motorcycles and watches: industry history parallels

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.

Re: Motorcycles and watches: industry history parallels

Postby guitargeek » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:21 pm

It's not very pretty, but it keeps *perfect* time, measures my heart rate, keeps track of my activities, vibrates when I get a text message or phone call, or when I need to take pills or get out of bed and go somewhere. It's shower-proof (IP67), recharges via USB port, and if it gets lost or broken, well, it only cost me $30.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby Beemer Dan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:01 am

Smart watches are pretty amazing tech, I think the ones like that hit a sweet spot of giving you lots of utility without being just another rabbit hole of computerized indulgence. I dig my phone, but rarely talk on it. It’s just a pocket full of internet. My tablet is amazing and useful for all sorts of incredible creative things but I mostly just use it for bullshit on the internet (and not even productive bullshit). If I had an Apple Watch, I’d use it for absurd amounts of bullshit I’m sure. If I had a smart watch it would need to be one like yours.

What I’m waiting for is for someone to make a fat link I can add to my current watch bracelet that has the functionally of a basic smart watch. Kind of like the UTC modules that used to be an option on Breitling watches.

Watches are one of the few pieces of jewelry men can wear without looking like they’ve gone off the deep end. But boy do I have a mess of watches. Belt buckles too, that’s about it tho. Metal dive watch bezels also double as fidget spinners and that’s a nice bonus. I’ve also heard other watch nerds refer to the metal bracelet links as engineer’s prayer beads.
They swore it was the correct one, but swearing doesn't make a sprocket fit where it doesn't want to. --WeAintFoundShit
Beemer Dan
Dark Poohbah

BANNER!:
Cascadia

Postby Jaeger » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:35 am

Beemer Dan wrote:What I’m waiting for is for someone to make a fat link I can add to my current watch bracelet that has the functionally of a basic smart watch. Kind of like the UTC modules that used to be an option on Breitling watches.

Ask and ye shall receive: https://wearchronos.com/

That said... I'm reeeeeally skeptical of the wisdom of making our phones more accessible. I loves me my Internet, but I want to keep it at arms length, so to speak. :Jeez:

(That thing above is pretty cool, tho.)

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Beemer Dan » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:41 pm

That looks really cool, I’ll have to read up on it!
They swore it was the correct one, but swearing doesn't make a sprocket fit where it doesn't want to. --WeAintFoundShit
Beemer Dan
Dark Poohbah

BANNER!:
Cascadia

Postby Jaeger » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:47 pm

Beemer Dan wrote:That looks really cool, I’ll have to read up on it!

I dunno tho, man -- I'm still hesitant on the "smart gizmo" thing. The deeper into the 21st Century we get, the less inclined I am to give The Fuckers any more insight into my life than they already have.

My phone is already asking me questions like "Did you go to sleep last night at 01:47 and get up at 07:59?" It's started asking me that every day now.

Who wants to know and why?

No.

I do appreciate the potential utility of the smartwatch, but... then again, I bitch about being too Connected as it is. :Jeez:

In truth, it's very much part of my fascination with mechanical watches. I don't want to be completely beholden to electronic gizmos for every single aspect of my reality. :mrgreen:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Beemer Dan » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:29 am

I really like the sound of mechanical watches. The size, shape and materials of the case/crystal do groovy things to the acoustics. The tick can vary from sounding like the violins from Bach’s Four Seasons to the baseline of Eye of the Tiger. I dig mechanical noise, Apple Watch gives no ambiance.

I hear ya with all the bullshit data tracking. I suppose if my iPhone made espresso and gave me a handy every night before bed I wouldn’t mind, but all the buttfucking we get from data breaches and invasion of privacy is some bullshit. My automatic watches don’t jerk me off but at least I can wind it that way. Silicon Valley needs to step up its fuggin game.
Beemer Dan
Dark Poohbah

BANNER!:
Cascadia

Postby DerGolgo » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:22 am

Beemer Dan wrote:I hear ya with all the bullshit data tracking. I suppose if my iPhone made espresso and gave me a handy every night before bed I wouldn’t mind, but all the buttfucking we get from data breaches and invasion of privacy is some bullshit. My automatic watches don’t jerk me off but at least I can wind it that way. Silicon Valley needs to step up its fuggin game.

Some folk were working on open source alternatives that, presumably, would at least buy ya dinner before the buttfucking.

http://www.oswatch.org/

Not "pretty", nor "elegant", by traditional metrics. But has its own rustic charm, imo, in as much as digital equipment can be rustic. I think we're at the stage where it can, though.
Surely, someone will eventually come up with a pretty package. Either for this one, or for any of the others I'm sure exist.

EDIT:
That OSSW doesn't seem to have been doing much since 2015.

Someone has made/is making an operating system, open source, so you should be able to decide where to get dinner before the rectal reaming: https://itsfoss.com/asteroidos-watch-os/

There as an open-source smartwatch project out of Finland, but I can't find anything more recent from them than 2014: https://www.open-electronics.org/bego-f ... martwatch/

I expect that the open-source projects maybe died to death when the initial hype about smart watches had calmed down.
However. Soon enough, if not already, there will be android-based smart-watches out of China. That might spy on you three times harder than current big-brand models.
But that would, probably, be too cheap to make jail-braking them any kind of problem.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby guitargeek » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:31 pm

My niece got me into the Ologies podcast, and specifically recommended this episode, which features a young watchmaker named Cameron Weiss...

HOROLOGY
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby Jaeger » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:22 pm

guitargeek wrote:My niece got me into the Ologies podcast, and specifically recommended this episode, which features a young watchmaker named Cameron Weiss...

I haven't listened yet (I will), but is this the same Weiss of Weiss Watches, the fellow who's trying to bring 'Murkia back as a country that actually makes watch movements?

https://weisswatchcompany.com/collectio ... black-dial

↑ The only American-made watch movement (let alone mechanical) on the market today.

I think it's fucking brilliant and their watches are aesthetically pleasing, I just have other targets. (Oh, and I'm cheap.)

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Previous

Return to Rants & Rides