RAGNARöK 2020!!!

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.

RAGNARöK 2020!!!

Postby Rench » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:44 pm

This should be a thing, yes? Lets start running with wild speculation and such. :mrgreen:

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni
Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Re: RAGNARöK 2020!!!

Postby thrasherbill » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:08 pm

I'm going to wildly speculate that I MIGHT be able to make it if I have a running motorcycle/available holidays/available cashola and it is not more than halfway across the continent. Maybe.
KZ's are for assholes... - scumbag
Well, if KZ riders are assholes, and CB riders are fucktards, I guess Buell riders can forthwith be known as cunts. - guitargeek
I cannot brain today, I have the dumb. - piccini9
In other news, I want to have sex with your bike. - Beemer Dan
A beard, it's like tits for your face. - MagnusTheBuilder
thrasherbill
Burninator of the Dirt Oval

BANNER!:
Canada

Postby Rench » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:22 pm

Would love to see you when I'm not in my underwear with a mysterious gut rot!! They tend to be in the western half of Colorado, and around the summer solstice. I *might* have 6/20-27 blocked out on the family calendar already... :Mrgreen:

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni
Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Postby red » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:21 pm

I'd love to go. Who knows, maybe it could happen buuuuttt, it's super unlikely. Maybe Rag2025.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Skkot » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:44 pm

I will note the prospective dates, and consider which machine is most likely to make the trip.
2004 R1150 GS PKM + 2002 R1150R Sidecarmachine
You can wipe your ass and blow your nose with the same wad of tissue, but blow your nose first.
Skkot
The pain maker go awayer!

BANNER!:
US Maryland

Postby guitargeek » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:15 pm

Depends on some medical stuff.
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby MATPOC » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:09 am

I'd go, life permitting
maybe fly and ship?
Trailer?
Ride...
MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Postby Dr Ratbagg » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:46 am

Fuck it, I'm in
"Yeah well, you know, that's just like your opinion, man."
Dr Ratbagg
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Washington

Postby Jaeger » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:05 am

MATPOC wrote:I'd go, life permitting
maybe fly and ship?
Trailer?
Ride...

I'm trying to figure out logistics too. I'd love to ride (especially now that I have a reliable bike again), but I'm worried I won't have time to do a full round trip. (Also, my hemorrhoids will fucking fall out and wrap around my back tire if I try to ride that saddle from here to CO and back. :shock:)

Possibility: Can we score a big box truck that could haul all the bikes from a region (e.g., "Northeast") so that a team driving in shifts could deadhead out while everybody else flies (or piles into a cage and also deadheads, driving in shifts)? Perhaps one team goes out and another comes back? I'm spitballing here but I think you get my drift. If we could fit, say, half a dozen bikes in the truck that'd hopefully disperse the cost of shipping.

Ride out halfway (Chicago? Indy?) then pack up bikes? I dunno.

I know we can get a lot farther in a cage while sleep deprived. It's "only" a 25-hour drive from DC to Denver according to Google. That's at least 3 days on a bike for me (each way), but we could totally do it in a single 25-hour stretch if we're driving in shifts. I've done LA to DC in 48 hours driving as a 2-man team. It sucked but it's possible. It'd still be less of a time suck without getting anybody killed.

Alternatively, we might be able to get some discount group rate. Rench, you've shipped bikes before. Suggestions?

I really want to get out there but I need to keep Domestic Tranquility in mind. Y'all understand. :mrgreen:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby jae » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:12 am

I'm already planning on making it. I've been wanting another excuse to ride to/through CO.
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.
jae
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
US Texas

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:58 am

This would be an interesting trip. Google Maps indicates this is a 34 hour ride if I avoid highways as well as Arkansas and Kansas, which there is absolutely NO reason why I would want to visit either of the two Kansas's.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Sisyphus » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:42 am

I've always seen this event mentioned but don't know what exactly it entails. That being said CO is a loooonnggg fucking way off BUT the idea of renting a box truck and having a regional caravan or something is intriguing.
Sent from my POS laptop plugged into the wall
Sisyphus
Rigging the Ancient Mariner

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:09 pm

Sisyphus wrote:I've always seen this event mentioned but don't know what exactly it entails. That being said CO is a loooonnggg fucking way off BUT the idea of renting a box truck and having a regional caravan or something is intriguing.

Nor have I, but I take it as being like DOOM but in the mountains.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby MATPOC » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:11 pm

I'm probably gonna change my mind like 20 times in next 18 month, so don't rely on me, but there is something called Forward Air and they have bike specific crates, I think it was $500 per bike one way...

Denver is 2000 miles from here, I've done that and some several times on the way to/from FL, but most of my trips to FL were one-way, either ship bike out ride back or ride and ship home, however I cash in a favor for every one of those with a friend who has a warehouse in Miami, so I just leave the bike and he gets it when convenient for him, not sure it will work for Denver, he never goes there
MATPOC

Postby Jaeger » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:34 pm

MATPOC wrote:...either ship bike out ride back or ride and ship home...

That's yet another option -- riding out and flying home, and either shipping the bikes back or convincing some poor slobs back in the aforementioned box truck.

Bigshankhank wrote:Nor have I, but I take it as being like DOOM but in the mountains.

...which means no fucking oxygen, especially for lowlanders like us. I'd thought I was doing so well in 2010 until we had to bump start RV's bike at the top of Pike's Peak... :shock:

We did a LOT more riding than at DOOM, I'm guessing 2015 was the same. Then again, that's hardly surprising because IT'S FUCKING COLORADO AND IT'S GORGEOUS AND THE ROADS ARE FUCKING FANTASTIC.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby MATPOC » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:38 am

Rag is on Solstice, right? That's when I always have work, lot's of it, and I can't turn it away because I need to make up for the winter...
It does not slow down till July, on the 4th I can usually turn off the lights and not come back for few weeks, also different year to year: in '17 we left for Newfie on June 29th (and rode 4,000 miles in 11 days on DIRT BIKES, my ass still sore form that) this past summer had to postpone for 2 weeks because I had so much work...

I would probably ride out to CO and keep going, get to some place where I can stash the bike on West Coast and fly home. LA is only 1000 miles and Denver to LA looks way better of a ride than coming back home.
MATPOC

Postby Jaeger » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:12 am

MATPOC wrote:Rag is on Solstice, right? That's when I always have work, lot's of it, and I can't turn it away because I need to make up for the winter...
I would probably ride out to CO and keep going, get to some place where I can stash the bike on West Coast and fly home. LA is only 1000 miles and Denver to LA looks way better of a ride than coming back home.

I'm having similar worries about work. My busy season is basically now through the end of September (end of fiscal year), and summers are the worst. As a freelancer, I gotta make hay while the sun shines.

Then again, at the moment the Gubmint is all shut down and I'm wondering if/when things will return to normal, so hell, who knows?

I like the idea of going all the way through and flying back. That's fuckin' smart. It's probably easier/cheaper to fly out of LAX too since it's a larger hub (I think). I also like the idea of making it a proper coast-to-coast run. :mrgreen:

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:32 am

Yeah I've got three nephews living in Denver & Ft Collins, if I had to dump a bike there I probably could.
That really would make for an interesting trip...
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby 0l4fderstout » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:58 am

Hmmmm.. I have to pick one of these this year. *Adds this to the possible events calendar*
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby red » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:17 pm

Jaeger wrote:
MATPOC wrote:I'd go, life permitting
maybe fly and ship?
Trailer?
Ride...

I'm trying to figure out logistics too. I'd love to ride (especially now that I have a reliable bike again), but I'm worried I won't have time to do a full round trip. (Also, my hemorrhoids will fucking fall out and wrap around my back tire if I try to ride that saddle from here to CO and back. :shock:)

Possibility: Can we score a big box truck that could haul all the bikes from a region (e.g., "Northeast") so that a team driving in shifts could deadhead out while everybody else flies (or piles into a cage and also deadheads, driving in shifts)? Perhaps one team goes out and another comes back? I'm spitballing here but I think you get my drift. If we could fit, say, half a dozen bikes in the truck that'd hopefully disperse the cost of shipping.

Ride out halfway (Chicago? Indy?) then pack up bikes? I dunno.

I know we can get a lot farther in a cage while sleep deprived. It's "only" a 25-hour drive from DC to Denver according to Google. That's at least 3 days on a bike for me (each way), but we could totally do it in a single 25-hour stretch if we're driving in shifts. I've done LA to DC in 48 hours driving as a 2-man team. It sucked but it's possible. It'd still be less of a time suck without getting anybody killed.

Alternatively, we might be able to get some discount group rate. Rench, you've shipped bikes before. Suggestions?

I really want to get out there but I need to keep Domestic Tranquility in mind. Y'all understand. :mrgreen:

--Jaeger

There are both a UHaul and a Ryder truck rental not far from my pad. I can accommodate a whole slew of tents outside and a few bodies inside (but not in the crawl space, it's full).
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Skkot » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:35 pm

In 2015 it was a 4-day ride from Maryland, routing through East Goat Fuk, Oklahoma with a side trip through Kansas (only time I have not regretted being in a Kansas). It was a two week trip in all, and I was fortunate to be able to take the time. I hope I may be able to again next year, but one never knows. I did very much enjoy the ride, at least that's what my memory tells me.
2004 R1150 GS PKM + 2002 R1150R Sidecarmachine
You can wipe your ass and blow your nose with the same wad of tissue, but blow your nose first.
Skkot
The pain maker go awayer!

BANNER!:
US Maryland

Postby Sisyphus » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:56 am

Just out of curiosity, what's the anticipated tire consumption rate? I know it depends on what tire etc but I've never put 4,000 miles on a bike tire all at once.
Sent from my POS laptop plugged into the wall
Sisyphus
Rigging the Ancient Mariner

Postby Pintgudge » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:18 am

I had to get a new tire en-route in 2010.

I don't know how to figure miles per tire, so you should either start new, and keep the replaced tire at home as a back up, or be prepared to buy and have intalled a new one en-route.
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak
Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

BANNER!:
Cascadia

Postby Bigshankhank » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:43 pm

I casually mentioned the Rag to my wife. Once she got over her anger and disgust from the resulting misunderstanding, she said I should take the time off and go. WTF?
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby MATPOC » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:44 pm

Sisyphus wrote:Just out of curiosity, what's the anticipated tire consumption rate? I know it depends on what tire etc but I've never put 4,000 miles on a bike tire all at once.

I have gotten as little as 3,500 miles from a cheapest Pilot 2CT and as many as 7500 from Power Pure, which is a high end hyper-sport tire that only meant to last half that at best, this is both on the same bike, the Tuono.
My BMW has gone over 6,000 miles on it's current set of Power Road 4's (and they still look new) while Ducati destroyed a set of Power Road 3's in maybe 4,000 miles, although I suspect age was the main cause of early demise.
MATPOC

Postby jr_bear » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:50 pm

How far from Denver do we want to camp? There is a privately owned campground about 45 min from denver that would probably let us rent the whole place, and is near some great roads. That said, farther from Denver means less traffic.
keep your gun and clothes were you can find them in the dark
jr_bear
Maltov Rattlecan

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:50 am

jr_bear wrote:How far from Denver do we want to camp? There is a privately owned campground about 45 min from denver that would probably let us rent the whole place, and is near some great roads. That said, farther from Denver means less traffic.

Still on the plateau, or what?
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby 0l4fderstout » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:35 pm

Oh hey, they're planning on closing the road to the summit of Pike's at some point in the future... Much to my chagrin. I'm not sure if it's going to be a long term thing or not if they do.
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby thack » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:24 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:
jr_bear wrote:How far from Denver do we want to camp? There is a privately owned campground about 45 min from denver that would probably let us rent the whole place, and is near some great roads. That said, farther from Denver means less traffic.

Still on the plateau, or what?

It's near Grant, CO. The dude that owns it is super chill and runs a BBQ stand on prem.
thack
Magnum Jihad

Postby 0l4fderstout » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:58 pm

Cool! I can get too fat to ride!
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Next

Return to Rants & Rides