FLYING BIKE

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.

FLYING BIKE

Postby Jaeger » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:19 pm

Um... cool?

phpBB [media]

LINK TO LAZARETH

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Re: FLYING BIKE

Postby 0l4fderstout » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:35 am

Well... shit.
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby DerGolgo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:51 am

... the flying car has been the dream of many since the traffic jam was invented.
I kinda like that a flying bike seems to be even closer to realization than flying cars. This does look like it could actually take off in the middle of a traffic jam, while the last "flying car" model I saw required a runway.

On the other hand. Seeing how people drive, I utterly dread the idea of a flying car. I don't want these people on the road, do I want them flying over my head?

Motorcyclists, meanwhile. Strike me as entirely better suited to operating a flying vehicle. Used to seeing the world go by at odd angles, used to paying attention to their surroundings.

I like this idea more and more the more I think about it.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Jaeger » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:20 am

I'm guessing the range is total shit, but it's promising. And yes, the idea of having every yahoo on the road able to fly around... what could possibly go wrong!? :shock:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby DerGolgo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:13 pm

Ever since I saw this, I have this mental image... a motorway, at a standstill. Traffic Jam².
But that one motorcyclist, he's a motorcyclist³. So while all the cagers look on, helpless, he puts down the center-stand. Folds down the rotors. And then just takes off.
MAN are cagers gonna be mad.

But forget flying for a moment.
That bike doesn’t just have four ducted fans. It has four ducted fans connected to the wheels. Folded up, you’d have four powered wheels. Four wheel drive.

On a quadcopter, each rotor or fan must be controlled individually. Translate that to motorcycle.
You would have four wheel drive, and would inherently have to be able to send whichever amount of power to any wheel or not. That’s not a would make this nice. That’s an inherently necessary component of this concept.

Imagine blasting out of a turn with that. Not just a rear wheel pushing, but a pair of wheels up front pulling.
Imagine the rear hitting an oil-slick… and the stability assist system pulling you out via the front wheels.

We’ve all seen videos of some all-wheel drive supercar humiliating a superbike on a twisty circuit. Where the bike just doesn’t have the traction to go around turns fast.

Now imagine not just twice as much grip. But four times as much contact-patch that’s actually moving yer.

This puppy could be the most badass road-demon ever. Size and weight of a motorbike (if a heavy motorbike, probably), but with traction and power-deliver more resembling a car. This machine would be a total beast in the twisties. Yes, heavy ... but I do think that a pair of wheels pulling up front would probably compensate for a lot of that.

I know the handling of the veritable Dodge Tomahawk didn’t get rave reviews, exactly. But that didn’t have four-wheel drive, and wasn’t built to handle, was just made to be a looker, really.
We know that bikes with dual front-wheels work. Yamaha and Piaggio before them have demonstrated that.

Oh no. This thing, if made with attention not just to flying but to road holding, it’s gonna be demented demonic.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby DerGolgo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:30 pm

As regards flight.

Range would be dictated by two things. Energy expended on motion, vertical and horizontal, and energy expended on losses.
On the road, drag is gonna be aerodynamic - and rubber on road.
In flight, the tires are not gonna drag on anything, are they.

Ducted fans, like they seem to use here, are much, much more efficient than the rotors of conventional helicopters.
For one, you don’t loose energy to wingtip-vortices, where air from the high-pressure below the wing goes around the tip to the low-pressure area above the wing. Fixed-wing aircraft use winglets to avoid that, while rotating-wing aircraft can have a bunch of ducted fans.
Likewise, a conventional rotor would accelerate a lot of air outward, centrifugal like, that’s not gonna create any lift. Again, the duct to the rescue.

I don’t know the details of lift vs. drag of conventional rotors vs. ducted fans. But ducted fans are, afaik, way more efficient than regular rotors.

I’m too lazy to start a spreadsheet, but found a few online calculators, and converted metric to US customary.

Suppose the bike is heavy. Including rider and fuel, 500 kg. About 1,100 lbs.
Let’s disregard all losses from friction and drag right now, let’s just look at a free body.
The energy that will accelerate that bike, with its rider and fuel load, to 60 mph.
Applied at 90°, that same energy will lift that bike, with its rider and fuel load, to 120 feet.
Savor that. Instead of accelerating forward to 60 mph, you could accelerate upward, 120 feet. Should be just enough to comfortable skip a traffic jam, no lane-splitting and dealing with asshole cagers opening their doors required.

Now, drag, particularly drag from the ducted fans (can’t make lift without making drag, not even with a ducted fan), and the need to constantly compensate for the weight of the machine, that would eat a lot of fuel. But how often can you accelerate from 0 to 60 on one tank of gas? For how many miles could that keep you airborne?
Since there would be no tire-friction in flight, I’d bet on double-digit range. Not 99 miles, but maybe 15, 20?

And even if its less, even if range is shit. Let it be shit. How much range do you need to skip a traffic jam, and have a gallon left for a safe landing and trip to the gas station?
You wouldn't even have to reach the end of some apocalyptic super-jam. Airborne, you you just go sideways, to the rural little road that's parallel to the motorway, and quite empty. You could go sideways, diagonal, any direction. You could just go to the other side of the motorway, reverse direction of travel. Set her down in the hard shoulder, and go back to the last exit you so wish you had taken instead of getting into the jam. Traffic Jam² cannot hold Motorcycle³. And the cagers who'd open their doors to stop lane splitters, they would be impotent to stop you.

A quadcopter-car would still require a massive amount of space to fold down its lift-fans. More space than you’d find in a traffic jam.
This bike, meanwhile. That should totally fit inside a lane. This is the very machine anyone dreaming of flying cars has really been dreaming about. A machine that can take off inside a traffic jam. And that, unlike roadable-aircraft like the old “Aerocar”, would have all it takes to be a total speed-demon on the road, too.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Return to Rants & Rides