Need the Wisdom of the Disorganization

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.

Need the Wisdom of the Disorganization

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:13 pm

Annual review at work went well, I am sitting on a decent chunk of bonus coinage and I find myself impaled upon the horns of a dilemma that most Ootmiks would love to have.

Bird in the hand- I have been schlepping around a 1972 Aermacchi-HD SX-350 literally in three storage bins. It was given to me free in 2010 back when I had the pleasure of free time but no money (Thanks GW!) I’ve been shopping engine rebuilds and average price is running $2500. That does not address the wheels needing to be rebuilt, rusted up suspension, the rusty bodywork, wiring, etc. While I love the idea of reassembling the engine myself, the factory manual lists numerous specialty tools and fact of the matter is, I have no desire to “try” and rebuild this engine only to have it grenade itself of expensive hard to replace parts. But I’ve had it so long I have built up a mythology around it to bring it back to life. No title, in case you are wondering. But it definitely scratches the funky-weird thing that I have an affinity for, how many of you have even seen much less ridden one? Maybe all in figuring $5000 if I do the chassis and paint work myself. As with any project, budget 2x your estimate.

Two (Twin?) in the bush - My first bike was an ironhead Sportster and I have been feeling nostalgic for it. Then again, no one feels nostalgic for their first screw so why does this count as a virtue? Mysteries of life I suppose. I know ironheads are shit bikes, but I am not looking for this to be a primary ride I am keeping the Duke for that, just a kickin’ occasional weekender that takes me back. I blame the vintage Triumph (Chris’s?) at DOOM last year for putting the vintage bug on me again. I have had several Sportsters and I dig the engine, power delivery, and yeah I just like their basic raw nature. Don’t want another Evo or rubberhead. $2500-3000 still gets you in the door on a running ironhead, maybe even an XLCH, but then I may still be looking at some baseline restoration work at a minimum and an engine rebuild is not unlikely. However the XL engine is much easier to fettle and parts are way more readily available even for the older bikes than an A-HD. Still a lot of funkiness but not on the same level as the Sprint, but in contrast 1000cc’s is capable of interstate speeds even with only 4 speeds. As for my rose-colored glasses for my past experience, I am in a much better position mechanically and financially to attend to the needs of a 40+ year old Harley than I was in my 20’s. So let’s say $3500 to buy a decent running/titled example, maybe another $2000 for unforeseens and who knows what. But to make the bike I really want (Brat style) I could easily drop some serious K’s but I wouldn’t necessarily have to. Plus if an engine rebuild becomes necessary, hell if Rench can do it...

So, any advice? Terrible but Funky and with a dash of longevity in my life? Or Terrible but far more common with a smidgen of mechanical simplicity/commonality and a heapin’ helpin’ of personal history.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Re: Need the Wisdom of the Disorganization

Postby motorpsycho67 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:05 am

Bigshankhank wrote: (Brat style)

*SHUDDER*

Go for the Ironhead
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.
motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:21 am

motorpsycho67 wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote: (Brat style)

*SHUDDER*

Go for the Ironhead

Its just to piss off GG.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Skkot » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:48 am

Ironhead first, save Aermacchi for next project in no more than 3 years.
2004 R1150 GS PKM + 2002 R1150R Sidecarmachine
You can wipe your ass and blow your nose with the same wad of tissue, but blow your nose first.
Skkot
The pain maker go awayer!

BANNER!:
US Maryland

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:39 am

Skkot wrote:Ironhead first, save Aermacchi for next project in no more than 3 years.

Honestly if I don't do the Aermacchi now, I'll probably just sell it off. I feel like I'm holding a good number of bikes right now and am trying to maintain stasis.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Aggroton » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:45 am

I Vote Ironhead.
Ive ridden SX350's...they are not thaaaaaaat much fun.
The skys the limit with the old ironhead.
Chopper, Bobber, Cafe, Scrambler, Dirt Bike, Bratster, Mad Max, Bosozoku, all the parts are out there to do whatever you want.
Aerimacchis are a practice in obscurity.
Ill give anyone a 250 in boxes if you want another bike to bash your head against the wall with...come and get it.
thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Postby DerGolgo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:12 pm

I'm just gonna point it out.
Drawing on stereotypes as it may.

One is a Harley Davidson.
The other is a Harley Davidson made by Italians.

Of course, the latter has the inherent bragging rights. Question: how much do you want to brag about a Harley Davidson made by Italians?
And if you don't want to in the first place. What'll be more fun?
Of course, some people enjoy wrenching on rare and exotic little bikes (Why do I have visions of waterfowl migrating to the left coast?). Other people enjoy riding boring, commonplace bikes.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Bigshankhank » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:27 am

Even through the various Harley's that I've had, I've never considered owning one to be a mark of my quality as a human being i.e. nothing to brag about. The fact that I've owned nothing but Sportsters (and of course the little A-HD) means that even amongst Harley aficionados I haven't had anything to brag about anyway. As it was, I learned early on that I didn't want to hang out with DoucheCanoe-siasts anyway so long story short, image is not an issue.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:54 am

Ironhead or Sporty, yes. Money pit Aermacchi, no.

I still dream of building up an Ironhead or Sporty, in the vein of ICON 1000's Roach.

What about going full crazy and finding an old Duc to toy with?
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:44 am

Bigshankhank wrote: The fact that I've owned nothing but Sportsters (and of course the little A-HD) means that even amongst Harley aficionados I haven't had anything to brag about anyway.

I was thinking about the bragging you might do to the UJM-snobs, BMW elitists, or any other group who have preconceptions about the workmanship on a Harley, and the reliability of anything Italian.
"So you never even have to adjust your valves?! Pah! Tourists! This is a real motorcyclist's bike!" sort of thing.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Bigshankhank » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:49 am

Well this search ended rather quickly. Just picked up a 1980 Sportster chopper for the princely sum of $2900, complete with nazi shit and no front brake. Of the two, the nazi shit needs to be purged first. Pics to follow.
Who was making/selling the Hooray for Choppers shirts & decals? Looks like I'll need some.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Bigshankhank » Sat Jun 29, 2019 4:49 pm

Well fuck imgur along with photobucket, how the fuck can we embed images anymore?
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby DerGolgo » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:47 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:Well fuck imgur along with photobucket, how the fuck can we embed images anymore?

This link should take you straight to the right bit of the how-to guide: viewtopic.php?p=303308#p303308

I don't know where to host images free presently. I'm waiting for google-photos to pull their finger out and provide image links in the right format.
Until then, you can host images right here on the board, via the "Upload attachment" feature (also explained in that bit of the how-to guide).

Another alternative might be instant-hosting services. Some don't even let you set up an account with galleries and things, let alone require it. I can't say I trust them all, but if no one else, photobucket has demonstrated, free providers aren't to be trusted anyways. Just google "free image hosting", and some will come up.

Livewire made a list of the "more reputable" hosting providers just last monday. Google Photos, for one, won't provide the right format links, so no idea what the others will do about it.
https://www.lifewire.com/free-image-hos ... es-3486329

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Bigshankhank » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:30 pm

-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:37 am

Congrats! Besides the bars, I dig it! Can't find a sporty around here for that price.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:31 pm

I found several but most are pretty well bodged up, I was shocked to find this in really decent shape, with a tuned engine and custom paint. I had never ridden a hard tail, but it’s more comfortable than I had imagined. I think if I drop the pressure in the rear tire I can make it a little better, the PO ran it at 25psi and what Iv’e read is 18-20 is ideal. He also gave me the torture-rack handlebars that were on it when he got it and just sitting on the bike with them I can imagine how miserable they were, the apes actually fit me very well, and you know I’m not a tall person.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:33 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:I found several but most are pretty well bodged up, I was shocked to find this in really decent shape, with a tuned engine and custom paint. I had never ridden a hard tail, but it’s more comfortable than I had imagined. I think if I drop the pressure in the rear tire I can make it a little better, the PO ran it at 25psi and what Iv’e read is 18-20 is ideal. He also gave me the torture-rack handlebars that were on it when he got it and just sitting on the bike with them I can imagine how miserable they were, the apes actually fit me very well, and you know I’m not a tall person.

Yeah, I dig that tank! Let's see some better shots! Flaunt it!

It must be the 50% redneck in me that makes me crave a v-twin. I've never ridden a hard-tail and the only true HD I've ridden was my late Father's Dyna-Ultra-Super-Mega-Glide (something like that). It was big, heavy and not my kind of bike at all. Something like you're looks, minimal, sleek and torquey.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:16 pm

It’s a coffin style tank, the color panels appear to be decals under clear coat but its fairly well done. The frame has some old school pin striping on it, and no gauges of any kind, just gotta ride it by feel.
I hear you about the v-twin, there is a visceral nature to it. My wife old Duc 900 was cantankerous but glorious when it decided to run, my ST3 was smooth and easy to ride and nowhere near as much fun because of it. That’s the reason I wanted another Ironhead instead of another evo, the lack of refinement is a blessing if you know how to appreciate it. I am learning that more and more driving the Raider every day, too. Or maybe I’m fucked in the head.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby DerGolgo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:04 am

Looking at that. And considering, "could I still ride".
Ape hangers gotta go, truly. I'd be mulling over the practicability of clip-ons.

Are you going to do anything about the rear wheel and the limited... suspension it has? Over here in the potatoist fiefdom, if that thing was road-legal at all, the options to make that rubber go up and down would be limited to anything between zero and nothing. I'd be stuck with either spinal-injury or, at best, a spring-loaded saddle.

Over yonder, I take it the rules are laxer. So while I personally wouldn't spend much time dreaming about a dreamy swingarm, I'd be wondering about a plunger suspension. So long as the right material is welded the right way, with the right heat-treatment, I can't really see a lot of downsides (when a hardtail is the only other option).

I mean something like this:
Is that in the cards?

Obviously, chain-tension would become an issue there and, were I do consider such a modification, I'd also be considering a spring-loaded tensioning-wheel-arm-thingy (I apologize for all those obscure technical terms) or maybe even two.

While googling for that illustrative image, I stumbled upon this here, also. Color me impressed. It's ... a rear swing?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:24 am

-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:45 am

DerGolgo wrote:Looking at that. And considering, "could I still ride".
Ape hangers gotta go, truly. I'd be mulling over the practicability of clip-ons.

Are you going to do anything about the rear wheel and the limited... suspension it has? Over here in the potatoist fiefdom, if that thing was road-legal at all, the options to make that rubber go up and down would be limited to anything between zero and nothing. I'd be stuck with either spinal-injury or, at best, a spring-loaded saddle.

Over yonder, I take it the rules are laxer. So while I personally wouldn't spend much time dreaming about a dreamy swingarm, I'd be wondering about a plunger suspension. So long as the right material is welded the right way, with the right heat-treatment, I can't really see a lot of downsides (when a hardtail is the only other option).

I mean something like this:
Is that in the cards?

Obviously, chain-tension would become an issue there and, were I do consider such a modification, I'd also be considering a spring-loaded tensioning-wheel-arm-thingy (I apologize for all those obscure technical terms) or maybe even two.

While googling for that illustrative image, I stumbled upon this here, also. Color me impressed. It's ... a rear swing?

Not really planning to change the suspension, its a hardtail/rigid and it'll stay that way. If I find it unlivable, I'll sell it for a different ironhead secure in the knowledge that I at least gave it the ol' college try. As for the clip ons, absolutely not. The prior-prior owner had a pair of short crossbars on it which thankfully the guy I bought it from gave to me. I sat on it (and made vroom vroom noises) holding those bars in position and they suck-diddly-ucked. Pulls the rider too far forward, which when coupled with the forward foot controls basically forces your lower back to be in a continuous contracted condition trying to support your upper body.

Is it street legal here? No, as there are no gauges, no horn, and the headlight is fixed in the Hi position as there is no Hi-Lo switch. Also lacking the front brake. As luck would have it, the blue hairs down here in Florida got tired of feeling like they were being cheated by mechanic's shops and so lobbied successfully to eliminate any and all vehicle safety inspections so all I need are lights and a plate and as far as the local constabulary are concerned, I am as right as the rain.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby DerGolgo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:15 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Is it street legal here? No, as there are no gauges, no horn, and the headlight is fixed in the Hi position as there is no Hi-Lo switch. Also lacking the front brake. As luck would have it, the blue hairs down here in Florida got tired of feeling like they were being cheated by mechanic's shops and so lobbied successfully to eliminate any and all vehicle safety inspections so all I need are lights and a plate and as far as the local constabulary are concerned, I am as right as the rain.

The legalities being what they may, please tell me you are planning on installing brakes up front.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby red » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:21 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote:Is it street legal here? No, as there are no gauges, no horn, and the headlight is fixed in the Hi position as there is no Hi-Lo switch. Also lacking the front brake. As luck would have it, the blue hairs down here in Florida got tired of feeling like they were being cheated by mechanic's shops and so lobbied successfully to eliminate any and all vehicle safety inspections so all I need are lights and a plate and as far as the local constabulary are concerned, I am as right as the rain.

The legalities being what they may, please tell me you are planning on installing brakes up front.

No WaY! YoU'LL FLiP RiGhT OvEr ThE BaRs!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This bike is essentially the opposite of your KTM.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:14 am

DerGolgo wrote:

Its on the to-do list, right after removing the nazi logo on the seat.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby DerGolgo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:47 am

red wrote:
This bike is essentially the opposite of your KTM.

So, do they average out to owning a perfectly mundane, safe, bor... unexci... non-terrifying, yes, that's the adjective, a non-terrifying bike, like a Honda 750?

This hypothesis requires extensive testing, it does!

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby red » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:48 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
DerGolgo wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote:Its on the to-do list, right after removing the nazi logo on the seat.

Make sure you rub your sweaty naked ass all over the seat, then burn it and piss on the ashes.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby xtian » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:28 pm

hurray for nazi choppers !
I'm not really from around here.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Postby Aggroton » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:59 am

I'm So Jelly Hank.
That is Some Hot Shit Right There.
Fuel Tank Makes me Wet.

Also...what Nazi Shit? Did I miss something?
thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Postby red » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:15 pm

Aggroton wrote:I'm So Jelly Hank.
That is Some Hot Shit Right There.
Fuel Tank Makes me Wet.

Also...what Nazi Shit? Did I miss something?

It was quickly removed according to BSH, except the seat, which he is hiding from view.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:57 pm

Decided to get home early and ride the bike to class this evening and ended up having my first breakdown, so this bike is more than living up the notion of Harley reliability.

To be fair, it was the negative battery bolt that shook loose and fell out while riding so not a pure Harley part. This problem became relevant when I stalled at a stoplight, clutch cable needs a bit of adjustment and was creeping while I had the lever pulled. I was able to start the bike by holding the wire on the terminal while turning the key (no starter button) and then quickly rode it home and snagged the cage to get to class. Even considering, this bike is fun as shit to ride.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Next

Return to Rants & Rides