Need the Wisdom of the Disorganization

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.

Re: Need the Wisdom of the Disorganization

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:00 pm

Aggroton wrote:I'm So Jelly Hank.
That is Some Hot Shit Right There.
Fuel Tank Makes me Wet.

Also...what Nazi Shit? Did I miss something?

Thanks, I am pretty stoked about it.

TBH perhaps I am being overly cautious but I am hesitant to post an image of the saddle due to the nazi symbol. Its not much, just an SS logo, but still not keen on it.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby DerGolgo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:04 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:TBH perhaps I am being overly cautious but I am hesitant to post an image of the saddle due to the nazi symbol. Its not much, just an SS logo, but still not keen on it.

Thank you. That shite doesn't need spreading.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby motorpsycho67 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:05 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:Image

HOORAY FOR CHOPPERS!
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.
motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Postby Jaeger » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:Not really planning to change the suspension, its a hardtail/rigid and it'll stay that way. ...

Is it street legal here? No, as there are no gauges, no horn, and the headlight is fixed in the Hi position as there is no Hi-Lo switch. Also lacking the front brake. As luck would have it, the blue hairs down here in Florida got tired of feeling like they were being cheated by mechanic's shops and so lobbied successfully to eliminate any and all vehicle safety inspections so all I need are lights and a plate and as far as the local constabulary are concerned, I am as right as the rain.

Been off the air for a while so catching up! Hot damn! Not sure I'd be as keen on the hardtail, but I'd sure as hell love to take her for a spin!

And yeah, if it's Nazi enough to make you uncomfortable posting it then it's prob left as buried as possible. Judging from the looks of it, you could order a shit one off JP Cycles that's probably more comfortable.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby DerGolgo » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:26 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:Even considering, this bike is fun as shit to ride.

Does that mean you're gonna keep the monkey-bars (being part of the fun as shit package)?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Bigshankhank » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:39 pm

DerGolgo wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote:Even considering, this bike is fun as shit to ride.

Does that mean you're gonna keep the monkey-bars (being part of the fun as shit package)?

Absolutely, what is there to change about them?
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby DerGolgo » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:05 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Absolutely, what is there to change about them?

I see now I misread an earlier comment.

If nothing else, they should take care of any sweat soaking the armpits.

Being paranoid as I am, and having the experience that I have, I feel compelled to once more petition you to take care of the front wheel brake, that is to remedy the present lack thereof.
You could go for having a laugh and get a DiscontinuedBrand™ front wheel, with those perimeter-brakes...

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby problemaddict » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:18 pm

HOO - FUKKIN - RAY ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

That looks like a blast in the "i always wondered what it would be like to ride one of these fucking things" department. Have fun with it, man. Keep us posted!

Aggroton wrote:Also...what Nazi Shit? Did I miss something?

Looks like an "SS" logo: ⚡⚡ on the seat. I'm sure it just stands for S&S Motors to match the air cleaner, lol :Jeez:
problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

BANNER!:
US Pennsylvania

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:43 am

problemaddict wrote:HOO - FUKKIN - RAY ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

That looks like a blast in the "i always wondered what it would be like to ride one of these fucking things" department. Have fun with it, man. Keep us posted!

That's pretty much exactly right, the visual absurdity is what makes it a blast to ride if not just for the kitsch value alone. However it is actually a really well sorted bike and taking in to consideration its limitations on handling and braking by understanding what it is and consequently using it completely inappropriately, I have thus far thoroughly enjoyed it.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:02 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
problemaddict wrote:HOO - FUKKIN - RAY ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

That's pretty much exactly right, the visual absurdity is what makes it a blast to ride if not just for the kitsch value alone. However it is actually a really well sorted bike and taking in to consideration its limitations on handling and braking by understanding what it is and consequently using it completely inappropriately, I have thus far thoroughly enjoyed it.

Roll up a Mexican blanket, pack your sissy bag and head to DOOM!
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:41 pm

The thought had crossed my mind, but I am going to have to do some test rides of a few 100 miles at a time before I could commit to making a 1200 mile one way trip on it.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:17 am

Bigshankhank wrote:The thought had crossed my mind, but I am going to have to do some test rides of a few 100 miles at a time before I could commit to making a 1200 mile one way trip on it.

Bring some loctite for the bike, and ibuprofen for you.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Actually I am thinking about safety wiring some stuff, oil drain plug and critical stuff like that.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Jaeger » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:34 pm

Now that you've presumably ridden her a bit, how bad is the rigid frame, and are all your fillings still in your teeth? :mrgreen:

I can theoretically dig the appeal of that bike, but I worry the practice of it would get really old. :shock:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:23 pm

Jaeger wrote:Now that you've presumably ridden her a bit, how bad is the rigid frame, and are all your fillings still in your teeth? :mrgreen:

I can theoretically dig the appeal of that bike, but I worry the practice of it would get really old. :shock:

--Jaeger

As it so happens just today I managed to play hookie from work this afternoon and took it for about a 30 mile ride. The rigid frame is not at all uncomfortable if you read the road and keep an eye out for bumps. That being said, riding on a stretch of road with joints in the pavement at regular intervals will fool you in to thinking that a cylinder is misfiring because you feel every one of them distinctly. The biggest drawback is the lack of wind protection coupled with the arms flat puts a lot of strain on the hands and lower back. I am not opposed to adding both a friction lock on the throttle as well as a medium sized windscreen for longer rides to relieve that discomfort.
I need to run through some mechanical stuff on it before I got too much farther, change the numerous oils, check tappets, etc. Toward the tail end of the ride there was an occasional stumble that I believe actually was a misfire. It happened on two separate occasions for about 15-20 seconds each time but then corrected itself, so I'd like to try and figure that out. I am sure it is running pretty lean as there are flat spots at several points in the rev range while accelerating which I think a change to a 2-1 thunderheader pipe will help alleviate. Research seems to indicate that in fact this may be an OEM Sportster front end which will make sourcing the necessary parts to add a front brake a relatively simple matter. And of course the nazi shit.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Bigshankhank » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:32 am

I got this thing out for a 30 or so mile ride and finally figured out that what people say about hardtail bikes is devastatingly true. Out-of-level manhole covers notwithstanding however, the bike is a blast to ride.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:13 am

Bigshankhank wrote:I got this thing out for a 30 or so mile ride and finally figured out that what people say about hardtail bikes is devastatingly true. Out-of-level manhole covers notwithstanding however, the bike is a blast to ride.

the roads here would turn your spine into powder and your ass would look like a baboon's.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Jaeger » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:39 am

Bigshankhank wrote:I got this thing out for a 30 or so mile ride and finally figured out that what people say about hardtail bikes is devastatingly true. Out-of-level manhole covers notwithstanding however, the bike is a blast to ride.

I know how it is with just an inadequate rear suspension -- no suspension at all... :shock:

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby AZRider » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:44 pm

Well that's really cool. It's almost comical how complete the package of chopper cliches is on that bike. It would be somehow "less than" if you didn't need to remove Nazi shit from it, though I am sure you had some qualms about doing business with a Nazi to acquire it.

I fully support you in keeping it basically unchanged, just adding a front brake and de-Nazifying. The bike is perfect for what it's supposed to be. Ride it within its limits and you will smile every mile.
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"Don't sweat the buckshot." - Buttzilla
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn
AZRider
"I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:44 pm

Ordered up replacement fork lowers and a caliper, turns out the front hub is an OEM sportster part so I can order a new disc. After that I need a master cylinder and a couple feet of braided stainless line and I am in the front brake business. Hoorah.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:48 pm

AZRider wrote:It would be somehow "less than" if you didn't need to remove Nazi shit from it, though I am sure you had some qualms about doing business with a Nazi to acquire it.

Truth be told the guy I bought it from did little more than change the handlebars. According to him it was built, including the saddle, by a previous owner who knows how many steps back. This does not however preclude the guy from being a Nazi himself, but he seemed pretty on the level.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Bigshankhank » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:10 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Ordered up replacement fork lowers and a caliper, turns out the front hub is an OEM sportster part so I can order a new disc. After that I need a master cylinder and a couple feet of braided stainless line and I am in the front brake business. Hoorah.

Considering the hodge-podge nature of this bike, it turns out the forks are from an 86-'01 Evo, so while I bought the right fork lowers (39mm) I bought the wrong caliper. So I have now ordered a replacement caliper along with a master cylinder and lever to match the fork lowers, now all I need is a disc, rebuild the forks with the new lowers, change the bars to something slightly lower then get a new braided line and I'll be braking like a civilized person again.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Bigshankhank » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:06 am

Decided that the weather was looking clear the other night so I could ride the bike up to school after work. Nice 40 or so mile run, got hassled by the Dean for trying to park under the port 0' cochere in front of the building which became relevant because during class it rained like hell.
Then I learned something interesting about the bike. I have been riding short distances around town just for fun and not to get anywhere and since I don't have an odometer I just figured well there's a reserve on the petcock so I'll be fine. Oh how foolish I was. Apparently this feature either doesn't work or the Run position is actually the reserve because no sooner did I get about a mile past the nearest gas station but she shut down on me. Pushed the bike in to the parking lot of a local strip mall, approached the sheriff who was chilling in his cruiser but he refused to take me back to the gas station so off I walked. Based on the malevolent dean coupled with the unfriendly local sheriff, apparently riding a bobbed Harley really does freak out the squares.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Bigshankhank » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:09 am

Also still chasing a power loss issue where after riding for a while one cylinder will drop out leaving me lugging along for 30-45 seconds before it kicks back in again. Fuel flow is good, oil level is good, I checked compression and it is 118psi rear 130psi front which I'm not thrilled about that difference but which Sportster gurus are telling me is not a concern. Plugs looked good and brown though the front has a little whiteness on one side of the insulator. May just be a red herring, may be relevant. Next up is to adjust the pushrods and then check timing and the coil. Problem is it only happens when the bike is very warm and only in 4th gear.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Bigshankhank » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:21 pm

Ok it’s low on the priority list, but I wanted to lower the bars a little bit.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:14 am

Looking good!
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby boz » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:19 am

The new bars give it a bull-nose look, which I approve of.
| | || ||
Earn your beer.
Aught aught Zrex Zelda.
boz
El Asbestos Pajamas

BANNER!:
US Maryland

Postby DerGolgo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:08 pm

Indeed, those new bars are ze pretty. Like the horns of a bison.

Front brake in the works, or are you gonna keep it all purist?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Jaeger » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:33 pm

I have a new handlebar on the way for Lilah that's fairly similar -- Trask V-Line. Hoping it'll help un-fuck my shoulders (along with the new saddle). :D

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:52 am

DerGolgo wrote:Indeed, those new bars are ze pretty. Like the horns of a bison.

Front brake in the works, or are you gonna keep it all purist?

I think I finally found the correct fork leg with caliper lugs. I have so far bought a set of fork legs, two calipers and one master cylinder & lever, turned out whoever built this used a later model 39mm front end which is nice because the original Ironhead forks were 35mm. So I ordered a set of 39mm fork sliders and an ironhead caliper then realized it wouldn't work because the mounting points changed, I ordered a later model caliper & cylinder only to find out that the fork sliders were in fact NOT from a Harley at all. Then I realized why I got them so cheap; Harley fork sliders are apparently very expensive even used, so it took some hunting to find one at a price I was willing to pay. So once the new slider shows up, I can clean it, paint it and install it then start sorting the caliper & master rebuilds. Last but not least is to find a new rotor and replace that stupid dirtbike tire that's on the front rim currently.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

PreviousNext

Return to Rants & Rides