New UTMC Art

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.

Re: New UTMC Art

Postby calamari kid » Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:36 am

Pattio wrote:
cjp wrote:
Pattio wrote:
I strongly object to the x-with-things-inside-the-corners.

Oops.

Also, the whole acronym thing where letters represent whole words is really played out. Use a freaking word, lazy ass.

Ah, but then we'd miss out on the ridiculously convoluted names they come up with to get those acronyms, which is often good for an eye-roll and chuckle.
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs
calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

BANNER!:
Isle of Man

Postby wheezy e » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:07 pm

Ok, no acronyms/abbreviations you sob's. TBH i'm not crazy about the sailor font either, it just seemed to fit the look of the bird. I really wanted to play around with middle english spelling. & fonts ala chaucer & pre king james english bibles. Like where the "i"s are "j"s, the "u"s "v"s, "s"s "f"s etc... definitely no old english gangster font though. If anyone wants to play with the dead bird bmg, idgaf.
All proceeds go to help cripple children.
wheezy e
Barista of Doom

Postby guitargeek » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:49 pm

I like your dead bird!
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby Pattio » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:02 am

FWIW I was just mocking myself with the acronym thing.

I also like the dead swallow.
-Pattio-
Pattio
Centrifugal Savant of Two Wheel Transportation

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby wheezy e » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:08 am

Thats cool, but honestly im not digging the words/non words eitber. Maybe nothing at all? Or maybe no banner and uber straight-forward: "Watch for Death." ?
All proceeds go to help cripple children.
wheezy e
Barista of Doom

Postby guitargeek » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:54 am

"Don't Die"
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby greasy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:16 pm

havent been around for a while, working every day, moving, busy with life stuff. but im layed up right now from dental surgery so...

i dig some of those masonic designs that antisoshal did. they have a nice cult-y feel.

and weezys dead bird, too.

i guess i see the point about the x thing. but i dont hate it, it just seems quaint to me. i was straight edge for a bit when i was a kid, there was a big scene in my neighborhood in North Seattle centered around bands like undertow and seaweed. but that was over 20 years ago and hardcore meant something very different. it was about skateboarding, jerking off at dennys and doing your hair like morrisey at that point, weird shit. ray kappo became a hare krshna and the world went crazy. but the ny h2o uber macho skinhead kind of thing had nothing to do with my experience of straight edge. we listened to 7 seconds and side by side, gorilla biscuits, insted, and were just starting to hear stuff like inside out or statue. (inside out's singer went on to start rage against the machine, before he had dreads and rapped he screamed and had a morrisey hairdo) later came the hardline stuff like integrity and raid, but none of it was macho, it was about being punk AND doing the right thing. so it bums me out to see it morph into just another clique for cowardly bullies with gang mentalities.

anyways, nice artwork.
motorcycles.
greasy
Will Riot For Gum

BANNER!:
Vietnam

Postby 2XSL » Tue May 27, 2014 8:36 am

those diamond ones look like the mrs diaz safety things on chemicals at work
2XSL
Maltov Rattlecan

Postby DerGolgo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:54 am

I've never really contributed anything here, and found myself with some urgent procrastinating to do today.
So there:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby DerGolgo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:01 am

And another:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby DerGolgo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:06 am

Gratitude and apologies to brother Rolly, who's grand Strategic Error Command logo I have abused here.

As a subject of Her Majesty, I'm sure he will approve the usage, though.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby DerGolgo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:34 am

I wasn't all happy with how the Union Flag turned out, so I did another pair:

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby wyckedsin » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:41 am

I dig the Wear Leathers one, may have to get that painted on the back of my jacket
Sanity has left the building
wyckedsin
Barista of Doom

BANNER!:
US Idaho

Postby DerGolgo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:37 pm

I didn't know whether to throw this here or in the DOOM! thread. So I'll throw it both ways:

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby DerGolgo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:56 pm

I must make up for all my misdeeds in the BIKE PRON thread. So I made this:

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Rench » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:06 am

OK, that's fucking awesome. We need to print these and hang them around at coffee shops and parts stores overnight.

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni
Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Postby DerGolgo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:49 am

Rench wrote:OK, that's fucking awesome. We need to print these and hang them around at coffee shops and parts stores overnight.

-Rench

So I stumble upon this ancient Michelin advertisement, and your words were bouncing around the inside of my pre-crashed head, and this is what fell out:

EDIT: fixed some godawful grammar and stuff.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby DerGolgo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:52 am

Disclaimer: I personally don't care what tires and lids people use. To each their own. But if they made their choice just because of fashion, so that they'd look like a serious motorcyclist or something, they don't just fail at that. They fail to impress, to create the impression they're after, to underscore how they are cooler than the other guy. And making fun of that is fine, I think.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby AZRider » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:44 pm

Love these! I have to apply my museum-label-writer skills and see if I can get this to the point in fewer words.
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"Don't sweat the buckshot." - Buttzilla
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn
AZRider
"I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby AZRider » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:42 pm

First whack:
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn
AZRider

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby DerGolgo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:21 pm

Oh, me likey!

I thought I might pretty it up a little, mismatched colors and so forth.
First I couldn't find the right disco font, and then I got a little carried away ... but I still like how it ended up:

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby DerGolgo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:25 pm

I'm still not ENTIRELY happy with the sentiment, though. Some people ride around like that not because of fashion, but because they genuinely like dressing that way, perhaps, know the risks and still prefer that sort of helmet and, at some point, got used to balloon tires and are happy enough with them. They deserve no mockery, I feel. I will try to express that, in as few words as possible.

EDIT: Like so. Only a subtle change, but I think it leaves a little more room.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby calamari kid » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:18 am

Why the dichotomy of fun and fashion? Is it a true dichotomy? Feels weird to see UTMC on that kinda thing. Not a dig at your artwork or effort. It just feels like it crosses the line between "I think that looks silly." and "You're doing it wrong." While I'm all for expressions like the former, the latter kinda turns me off.
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs
calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

BANNER!:
Isle of Man

Postby DerGolgo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:42 am

Good point, good point. Fashion is fun, also. Hrmpf. How to express "Do you ride because you enjoy it, or because you're just desperate to emulate what pop culture is telling you is 'cool'"? In very few words. Hrmpf.

EDIT: How about so?
Further edit: Right, that's the last fiddle I will do to it, I think that's the one.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby xtian » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:44 am

How 'bout this one, short, precise.
I'm not really from around here.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Postby DerGolgo » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:53 am

xtian wrote:How 'bout this one, short, precise.

Love it!

Though, it's a bit of a conundrum this whole thing, no?
Some complain the young kids are doing all the modern stuff, and "what we had in my day was damn well good enough!". So, in principle, should approve of balloon tires.
Others will complain as it is done here, that the young kids "have silly ideas and ain't doing it like they're supposed to!".

Perhaps it would make sense to hang them side by side, so the young folk can choose which old people they'll be yelled at by?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby greasy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:13 pm

how about riding to go places?

i mean its funner than a car, but i ride a bike because i need transpo, and its economical and efficient from my perspec. plus i get anxiety in cars, like claustrophobia, but thats besides the point.

it is a form of transportation. first and foremost.

I really dig the sentiment of the posters, though: making people feel silly, instead of cool, for making ridiculous choices based on emotion and insecurity instead of logic. but the fun vs fashion thing im not so sure of...

either way, it makes a very valid point. balloon tires not only look ridick in 2014, they dont work so hot, which could mean crashing, and with that foolish helmet you could very well lose your face.
motorcycles.
greasy
Will Riot For Gum

BANNER!:
Vietnam

Postby greasy » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:16 pm

DerGolgo wrote:Good point, good point. Fashion is fun, also. Hrmpf. How to express "Do you ride because you enjoy it, or because you're just desperate to emulate what pop culture is telling you is 'cool'"? In very few words. Hrmpf.

EDIT: How about so?
Further edit: Right, that's the last fiddle I will do to it, I think that's the one.

yeah, thats perfect! i missed the last edit...
motorcycles.
greasy
Will Riot For Gum

BANNER!:
Vietnam

Postby AZRider » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:10 pm

How about "Are you a Time Transvestite?" It's slang in the museum world for costumed interpreters who get too into their roles, but it could work here, too.

This coming from a guy who hangs out with the Connecticut Rockers a lot and writes for Cafe Racer Magazine from time to time.
AZRider

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Grandpops » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:00 am

How's about this? Maybe the text needs work, but I think the imagry is solid... :shock:
Grandpops
Lurker

BANNER!:
US Oregon

PreviousNext

Return to Rants & Rides