BHBV are still kicking!

Motorcycle news mah Brothahs and Sistahs! Read on or post your own.

BHBV are still kicking!

Postby Pattio » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:19 am

I thought Bullshit Hipster Bike Videos had atrophied but they're back!

Pretty much impossible to tell if their latest target is a parody or not.

http://hipsterbikevideos.com/honeypot/
-Pattio-
Pattio
Centrifugal Savant of Two Wheel Transportation

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Re: BHBV are still kicking!

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:39 am

Are we now getting hipster who, rather than their fairyland version of 1960s and '70s lifestyles, are in fact in love with a fairytale version of the 2000s and early 2010s hipster lifestyle?
"Meta-Hipsters"?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Pattio » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:06 am

-Pattio-
Pattio

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Jaeger » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:00 am

Pattio wrote:I thought Bullshit Hipster Bike Videos had atrophied but they're back!

I stopped watching after I heard him say "vintage lifestyle." I can appreciate "vintage motorcycles," but they're concrete things. Living a vintage lifestyle would mean magically time-shifting to the mid 20th Century, I suppose.

Pattio wrote:Image

...Oroboros? No comprendo.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 (Seeking New Opportunities)
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:22 am

Interesting quotes:

"The original purpose of the cafe racer was to make a simpler machine, make it quicker."
So far, so good. Not entirely true, as it was also made different, usually, but a pretty good sentiment to make a custom bike, no?
But then.
"That's why you change the handlebars, and put a smaller seat, take off the fenders, changes like that are what make it a cafe racer".
He goes on to explain that he breathes life into an old machine that was dying before. True, and noble.
While I think the purist-attitude, that only a pre-unit Triumph that was actually at one point registered in Britain and was actually used for cafe racing, that's bs.
But come on. There's a little more to a cafe racer than that. Seriously. Douchemonger.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Bigshankhank » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:36 am

Jaeger wrote:Living a vintage lifestyle would mean magically time-shifting to the mid 20th Century, I suppose.
--Jaeger

Psssh, that's merely classic. You need to go back to early 20th century if you want to be definitively "Vintage". Or better yet go full Lyle Swann...
phpBB [media]
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby guitargeek » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:47 am

"Douchemonger"!! :-D
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer

BANNER!:
US Oklahoma 46

Postby Jaeger » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:21 am

guitargeek wrote:"Douchemonger"!! :-D

That's gotta be a custom rank at some point. Don't know for whom, but...

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Pattio » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:22 pm

The bike in the video has a front disc and caliper but no master cylinder.
-Pattio-
Pattio

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Beemer Dan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:08 pm

Might have done an underboob conversion setup like the 77 BMWs, they had the master cyclinder in the crack of the taco under the tank. It cleans up the bars, but then gives you one more cable to worry about.

Seeing stuff like his little movie clip makes me think that motorcycling culture is having some sort of a midlife crisis. It's no wonder. The tech is turning into nerdwizard mythology and it's getting so complex that soon you won't be able to fix it unless you have a team of programmers and mainframe computer that can shmaltz directly with the factory. Cars are going driverless, maps digital and the laws of man are being engraved into the hardware without understanding they cannot overwrite the laws of physics. All of this Moto hipster bullshit is trying to keep it kosher because it's easier not to eat the bacon than it is to build another temple.

forsaking enlightenment for heritage? Maybe too harsh, but although it's sometimes neccisary to rebuild a carburetor, that ritual is specific to a machine, not to the act of riding it. NOS Tomaselli clubmans are nice, but not needed. All of these little details are like manscaping. A lot of work to make something look like it was meant to be that way. And while most of the six billion people on the planet don't care if you've shaved your balls, it sure feels nice at speed on a warm Summer's day.

Brother Jaeger, you once threw me the pondering of how interesting it was that motorcycle culture was so thickly entwined with images of death and fire. Skulls fucking everywhere, even on scooters and dirt machines. Why all the fire and death? You said it had something to do with us being different from the rest of modern society, that we were looking in the mirror and trying to grok our own mortality, to understand that nothing is forever and today might not become tomorrow. More honest to die too young than to live too long. Being stuck in a world we don't understand, hooked up to machines, lorded over by white coats, having our mobility and freedom controlled by committee and all mystery of the roads ahead taken away. The midlife crisis and the end of life crisis may not be the same, but they do rhyme.

Moto culture is searching for its soul but doesn't want to go outside. Dressing up in its finest Sabbath hats and beards, doing no work while its chomping down on burgers and fries...hold the bacon please. There is no spirituality in pretending to be something from an imaginary feeble hope that if we do it all properly the sun will rise. That today will become tomorrow. This is all ritual based on ancient myth created by people more pious and inexperienced than us.

The myth is there as a mneumonic so we'll remember the ritual. The ritual is there so we can analyze and reinterpret the myth for the new age. Everyone here has pretty much always understood that it's not about the destination, and it's not about what you rode to get there or how authentic all the greebles were. It's about today, because the sun still shines today. Eat the bacon, build the temple.
They swore it was the correct one, but swearing doesn't make a sprocket fit where it doesn't want to. --WeAintFoundShit
Beemer Dan
Dark Poohbah

BANNER!:
Cascadia

Postby Beemer Dan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:11 pm

Oh, and shave your balls if it feels good, not because anyone else might notice.
They swore it was the correct one, but swearing doesn't make a sprocket fit where it doesn't want to. --WeAintFoundShit
Beemer Dan
Dark Poohbah

BANNER!:
Cascadia

Postby MATPOC » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:12 am

Not bike vids, but funny

https://www.facebook.com/QuiltedNorther ... nref=story

and another one someone posted in the comments for the above

https://vimeo.com/131422396

funny shit
MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Postby jae » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:07 am

haha, I love the TP video... "authentic... bespoke... raw"
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.
jae
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
US Texas

Postby MATPOC » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:14 am

Not sure where to file is, BHBV full length feature? It's on Netflix now

https://vimeo.com/157336355

watched first 10 minutes because someone on the internet said it was better than Easy Rider...

might watch more when GF comes home
MATPOC

Postby MATPOC » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:42 pm

Watched some more of that movie, have a constant feeling that someone is still making fun of this whole re-enactment culture...
MATPOC

Postby Pattio » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:23 pm

-Pattio-
Pattio

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby MATPOC » Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:36 am

Tested "21 Days" on Lauren, figured my opinion may not be objective, but she does have a '71 CB350 and hangs out with Herding Cats (Head Explodes thread)

She watched couple minutes and moved on to playing with her phone, needless to say the movie failed to capture her attention
MATPOC

Postby xtian » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:02 am

couldn't they store extra gasoline tanks in one of the (probably several) crew vans ?
weren't drugs an essential part of late 60's bikers movies? can you really get a mystical experience just by riding endless flat straight lines at slow speed on eggs and bacon only ?

just genuinely asking. I didn't watch the movie.
I'm not really from around here.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Postby 0l4fderstout » Thu May 31, 2018 5:38 am

Jaeger wrote:I stopped watching after I heard him say "vintage lifestyle." I can appreciate "vintage motorcycles," but they're concrete things. Living a vintage lifestyle would mean magically time-shifting to the mid 20th Century, I suppose.

We have a pretty heavy rockabilly crowd in West Michigan. I can totally see that as a "Vintage Lifestyle".
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby Pattio » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:31 am

phpBB [media]
-Pattio-
Pattio

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Pattio » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:32 am

We hate technology (except for our iPhones)
-Pattio-
Pattio

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:56 am

In all honesty, though.
I kinda dig that people can just get into the art of the past, and into the aesthetics. Used to be, most people would be limited to what popular culture happens to presently present.
Someone in the 1980s would have had to invest serious effort into finding out about the musical and sartorial fashions of the 1920s. Would have had to know what they were looking for, even if they were just looking for a stupid, superficial version that's mostly pretense. Trends and things happened top-down. I'm sure when the actual Indiana Jones movies came out, some people got a kick out of the leather jacket and fedoras.
But would they have had the chance to listen to hours and hours of 1930s music? Would they have had a vast selection of clothes and accessories that scream "I'm 1930s - I am impressed by dial-telephones and the talkies, and I'm standing a good chance of dying of smallpox or a staph infection".
Hardly.

Obviously, 99.99% of the anachronista are just copying what they see other people do. "I'm cool because I dress like the people who tell me I should dress like it's 80 years ago, rather than dressing like the people who tell me I should dress like them because they're the shizzle."
But enough will go through old magazines, watch old movies, etc., etc., and make up their own mind how they want to play "I'm cool because I dress like it's 80 years ago, and I actually came up with my own costume, ha!"

The vast libraries upon libraries of searchable texts, images, videos, music files, etc., etc.. People can pull whatever from those.
I think most of it is pretentious and silly, obviously. But then again, I think any sort of fashion is pretentious and silly, as is any explicit "anti-fashion statement".
But I kinda dig that people, these days, can reach all the back, a century or more, and just pick and chose what they dig. Aren't limited by what's presented on four, or forty, TV channels, in a dozen or so popular magazines a person might buy in a month max, or what they see in nightclubs.
All that culture, all those old films, all that old music, it's all being set free. At some point, I think people may have so much stuff to choose from, the whole concept of "fashion" may whither away and die, at least when it concerns society at large. We're nearly there, but not quite. The fucking hipsters we see these days are just a poop-smeared toddler, taking his first steps, with his wee-wee hanging out.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Jaeger » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:33 am

In the punk days of the 80s and 90s when it was spiked green mowhawks, ripped clothing, and facial tattoos, I remember joking with friends that the next logical step was going to be a reversion to older times -- likely Victorian. Ha!

I did some costume reenactment some years ago, Medieval, Renaissance, and 18th and 19th Centuries. What it taught me is that modern clothing is a LOT more comfortable. :P

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:10 pm

Jaeger wrote:In the punk days of the 80s and 90s when it was spiked green mowhawks, ripped clothing, and facial tattoos, I remember joking with friends that the next logical step was going to be a reversion to older times -- likely Victorian. Ha!

I did some costume reenactment some years ago, Medieval, Renaissance, and 18th and 19th Centuries. What it taught me is that modern clothing is a LOT more comfortable. :P

--Jaeger

Facial tatoos?

Reenacthment?

:didnthappen:

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby AZRider » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:25 pm

Entertaining tidbit: In the museum profession the slang term for costumed interpreters who get too deep into the details of their costumes and characters is “Time Transvestites.”
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"Don't sweat the buckshot." - Buttzilla
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn
AZRider
"I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:50 pm

AZRider wrote:“Time Transvestites.”

SO a title for an upcoming Doctor Who multi-episode arc! With the full stop! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Jaeger » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:41 am

AZRider wrote:Entertaining tidbit: In the museum profession the slang term for costumed interpreters who get too deep into the details of their costumes and characters is “Time Transvestites.”

Within the reenactment community they're "button counters," but yeah, I could never care quite that much. Fuggit, I worked the Ren Faire to meet girls! :D

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Return to Headline News