Sad news from Baltimore

Motorcycle news mah Brothahs and Sistahs! Read on or post your own.

Re: Sad news from Baltimore

Postby Tabbootyshaker » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:33 pm

Just awful. I can't believe it. What horrible news. :(
Tabbootyshaker
El Asbestos Pajamas

Postby blackjoe » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:44 pm

Terrible news. Noah really was like everyone's little brother, an all around cool kid.
Someone Somewhere Wake Me Up
blackjoe
Soy Fucker

Postby Beemer Dan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:19 pm

Loved that guy, damn. Every now and then you meet someone who reminds you of who you were when you younger, but an alternate universe version who somehow had none of your weaknesses. He inspired me to get my off my ass about a number of things, he was good to to talk to. He was a damn good guy. I guess we're all just borrowing this ride for a few laps, may we all ride it with as much enthusiasm and heart as he did.

Godsspeed brothah Dozer, you will be missed.
They swore it was the correct one, but swearing doesn't make a sprocket fit where it doesn't want to. --WeAintFoundShit
Beemer Dan
Dark Poohbah

BANNER!:
Cascadia

Postby problemaddict » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:20 pm

Aggroton sends his love to Skkot and the rest of the UTMC.
problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

BANNER!:
US Pennsylvania

Postby Pintgudge » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:51 pm

I met him briefly at Rag10. Didn't hardly know him.

You didn't hardly have to know him at all to realize that he didn't just exist, no,

He Lived!
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak
Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

BANNER!:
Cascadia

Postby mtne » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:58 pm

Damn. RIP Noah
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
07' KTM 950 SE
08' Husky TE610 - Everything a KLR wants to be...
Yeah I'm a Bike Slut in remission
SmugMug pictures here, Save $5 when you join SmugMug by using this coupon zu0heHHhx9sjM
http://www.bikeshareworld.com
mtne
Holy DAG Master

Postby Skkot » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:15 pm

The outpouring of love and support is much appreciated. I'll print your messages for his wife, sister & mom. These were some of the best times he had, with the best people, and I'd like them to see him having maximum fun.

There will be some kind of memorial/celebratory gathering. It's too soon yet, we're all still in shock, but given the range of territory Dozer somehow covered and multitude of friends he made I expect there will be enough lead time for those who wish to plan travel.
2004 R1150 GS PKM + 2002 R1150R Sidecarmachine
You can wipe your ass and blow your nose with the same wad of tissue, but blow your nose first.
Skkot
The pain maker go awayer!

BANNER!:
US Maryland

Postby Aggroton » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:41 pm

Beyond sad to hear this news. He was truly an original. So rare these days. Godspeed my Dozer for there are other worlds than this.
thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Postby rolly » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:58 pm

I'm gutted. I didn't spend a lot of time with Noah, but those times were some of the best.
rolly
Tim Horton hears a Who?

Postby causef0rconcern » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:05 am

Hey. I haven't been active here for about 100 years and hate to return for this. I'm suddenly reminded of why I came here to begin with, and how valuable this community really is. I knew Noah exclusively through UTMC, and met him initially at Rag'10. Our friendship persisted actively (but not actively enough) and deeply until a few nights ago as I've learned.

I'm writing here specifically to request info about funerals, memorials, parties, as it comes up - I know there's none yet, but I'll need a lot of lead time if I'm gonna make it to the East Coast for anything. It's a big stretch and the chances are slim I can do it, but it would be integral to my grieving process to get together with some of you, as I may be the only person in this country who knew Noah, and all I want to do is drink and talk about Noah with someone who understands.

My heart and my love go to all of you UTMCrs who created and maintain the community that helped Noah spread his particularly unique brand of lovable madness, and especially to Noah's family, who are dealing with this pain immeasurably moreso than I.

I'm writing here also to remark on Noah in general. I'd like to appreciate Beemer Dan's comment, "Every now and then you meet someone who reminds you of who you were when you younger, but an alternate universe version who somehow had none of your weaknesses." In an analogous way, I've always thought of Noah as my spirit animal - someone with the chutzpah to act on every wild impulse, to chase down the rush, to laugh openly in the face of the sausage creature. He lived day to day in a way that was so rich with significant experience nobody could ever catalogue it. Photography, of course, allowed him to inch towards capturing his experience in the world around him, but to anyone who has spent more than 5 minutes with him, you know that he lived more in a day than most people will in a lifetime.

And it weighed heavily on him. Noah not only observed he world, he felt it, and the world's peaks and troughs electrified him. We spoke a lot during the riots in Baltimore that he covered. Some of you knew him earlier when he worked on political campaigns. Noah's passion for the world was intense, it was sympathetic, and it was deep. He may have crashed motorcycles that weren't his, or wantonly broke shit that he borrowed, but it's because he understood that the experience behind the commodity was the real value, and that's what he was after at any cost.

I can't believe he's gone. It's going to take me a long time to process this, and I suppose that process will never end. I'm out of words at the moment, but I suppose there is no conclusion to these thoughts anyway.

If anyone wants to talk please reach out and I'll be happy to skype, whatsapp, call, or otherwise. Also, if anyone gets a call from a number that looks suspiciously like a Nigerian prince's personal number, that's probably me.

I have some pictures worth sharing, but not sure if there will be a centralized place to share media. I have about 50gigs left on my Google Drive if that's helpful.
!!!LESS INTERNET, MORE LIFE!!!!
causef0rconcern
Mzungu Jihad

Postby rubber buccaneer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:09 am

Godspeed Noah.

———————
keeper of the man-t-hose™️
rubber buccaneer
Magnum Jihad

Postby Buttzilla » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:42 am

About 6 years or so ago Noah came to CT for a few days and hung out with AZ and I. My older daughter Madeleine was a senior in High School at the time. Noah, AZ, Madeleine and our other daughter Lauren hung out until the wee hours. The next day Madi skipped school (does it count if the parents approve?) and Noah took her out on the back of his Ducati. Wheelies and shenanigans abound. We all remember that visit. Madeleine's response when I told her was "He made me feel so cool that day!"
That was Noah's way.
You will be missed McLovin. Your joy, your talent, your friendship.
Godspeed.
Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the Music...
Buttzilla
Maltov Rattlecan

Postby GeekGrl » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:32 am

Bloody hell. So sorry to hear of this. Condolences to his family and friends, those IRL as well as those here. He was a madcap fellow, full of vim and vigor. I remember meeting him at Ragnorak - one of the first non-PNW Ootmiks I met IRL -- and well do I remember the trip from the house to the moto museum in Denver riding as a passenger with him, on someone else's bike. This news just really sucks.
"This is what I do, darlin'. This is what I do." -- Mal Reynolds

'09 Triumph Bonneville
'02 Suzuki GZ250 (sold, may it have new journeys)

Tales from a solo ride: www.waywardrider.com
GeekGrl
Magnum Jihad

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:12 am

@rubber buccaneer
I'd copy/save those photos and put them in our "In Memory Of The Fallen" gallery, would that be okay?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby JustNate » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:43 am

I am the El Duce performance package!
JustNate
Barista of Doom

Postby MoraleHazard » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:50 am

My sincerest sympathies to Skkot and everyone else. It was really shitty news to hear.
666(k) Retirement Plan of the Beast. Only offered by Dis Annuities.

'91 EX500 (sold)
'04 R1150R

It's like getting bitten by a radioactive horse and instead of getting a really large cock you turn into a brony.
MoraleHazard
Vatican Sex Kitten

Postby Rabbit_Fighter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:20 am

I've taken a few stabs at writing something sappy, but nothing feels right.

Noah was not a close friend to me, but I feel very privileged to have shared some meals, beers, and roads with the man. He truly left a lasting impression on those he met.

It also makes me reflect on how many great people I've had the privilege of knowing through this band of misfits. Scarce as I may make myself, even to those close by, I value this community a lot and look forward to seeing a lot of you in the future. Take care out there.
"no.
motorcycle the finality not is
motorcycle merely medium to achieve action of riding
motorcycle tool to bend space and time and overcome your own limitations as a mortal
riding more important than medium
spirit by object cannot be beaten."
Rabbit_Fighter
Keeper of the Lava

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:11 pm

Yeah. Some people, they just see the world differently. It IS a privilege to have known at least one of them.
After the Baltimore riots, this one was a two-page spread in Stern, the slightly lower-brow of the two major news magazines in Germany. Think Time or Newsweek, I guess. Full two-page spread.

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Sisyphus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:29 pm

^ I remember that story in particular, and it was that image that drew me into reading about it. I guess it's true that the brightest stars shine the shortest or something like that. I didn't know him nearly as well as anyone else here but I liked him a lot. He was the flame that I didn't want to stand too close to, probably because of my own timidity.
Sent from my POS laptop plugged into the wall
Sisyphus
Rigging the Ancient Mariner

Postby rubber buccaneer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:07 pm

DerGolgo wrote:@rubber buccaneer
I'd copy/save those photos and put them in our "In Memory Of The Fallen" gallery, would that be okay?

Yes, absolutely.
If I find others I will post them here.
———————
rubber buccaneer
Magnum Jihad

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:11 pm

rubber buccaneer wrote:
DerGolgo wrote:@rubber buccaneer

Yes, absolutely.
If I find others I will post them here.

Please do. I will add any more to the gallery, also.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:13 pm

MATPOC wrote:Andy Kaufman moment when I realized it's not a joke, he seemed invincible and always with a smile

Photo taken March 2010

2010-03-17 10.15.45.jpg

Dmitri, I will add this to the memorial gallery also, if you don't mind.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Zim » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:27 pm

That kid was electricity, personified.

causef0rconcern wrote:Also, if anyone gets a call from a number that looks suspiciously like a Nigerian prince's personal number, that's probably me.

A group of us were bombing back and forth on a twisty road in the Adirondacks, and Noah took pictures as we zipped past. I asked him for a copy of mine, which he emailed me with the subject, "NIGERIAN MONEY".
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen
Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Postby cjp » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:43 pm

Here's the Baltimore Sun Darkroom short video about Dozer:

Requires flash.

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/2015/0 ... grapher/#1
goose wrote:Yes, it's always dangerous, however, it becomes much more dangerous when the most important piece of equipment you have, your brain, is not up to the task

Duae Rotae Optimae
cjp
Western WA. Wandering Dervish

Postby Skkot » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:26 pm

Anyone who is able to attend is welcome, on next Friday, February 2nd, visitation 2 - 4 PM at Resthaven Memorial Gardens in Frederick. This is the public event the Dozer will be at coporially, and we are making a video tribute. I have an email address folks can send pics and videos, deadline noon Wednesday, to rfsavGiller@gmail.com

I had hoped for a longer lead time for a memorial service after cremation. We can still plan a ride or some other meetup at some point in the future. There is a place I had been thinking of for possibly a Hillbilly Hoedown kind of weekend like we did in 2010 was it? I had been thinking of Spring 2019.

Brother Rench suggested OOTMIKS coming in for 2/2 plan to stay at Cross Keys; it's 45 minutes from Resthaven but we all know where it is.
2004 R1150 GS PKM + 2002 R1150R Sidecarmachine
You can wipe your ass and blow your nose with the same wad of tissue, but blow your nose first.
Skkot
The pain maker go awayer!

BANNER!:
US Maryland

Postby Bigshankhank » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:57 pm

I cannot properly memorialize Dozer beyond what I knew of him when we met. He lived a life that was both terrifying and exciting compared to my conservative worldview, like discovering a sex swing in the bedroom of a friend you thought you knew well. IIRC he was living in a warehouse with a dozen or so other folks in the heart of Baltimore, working freelance when he wanted and examining life in the manner of someone who didn’t care to understand it for himself so much as to see how others reacted to it. He reminded me of someone who would hop in a carnival bumper car without knowing anyone else on the ride, yet everyone would come up to him and thank him for showing them such a good time when it was over.
Like most of us, I loved seeing his work and would forward it friends exclaiming how I know the photographer how cool is this guy!
That his eye on the world is now closed is tragic. RIP Noah.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby rubber buccaneer » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:07 pm

Hillbilly Hooligan Weekend, 2010 I believe.

———————
rubber buccaneer
Magnum Jihad

Postby MATPOC » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:59 pm

rubber buccaneer wrote:Hillbilly Hooligan Weekend, 2010 I believe.

It is 2010, I showed up day late just to ride back in the rain next morning...
That night after a seminar we made a long walk to get ice cream, details escape me, but I know it was fun
Crashed on the floor in same room as Noah, I think he stole my pillow or something... we also had identical tents and I was very preoccupied trying to figure out which one is mine while Noah could not understand why I cared at all...
MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Postby Deorai » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:44 pm

It was impossible to avoid being drawn in by Noah’s raw charisma, the effect being akin to gravity. His ability to befriend any person, even a total stranger in the most threatening of circumstances, was uncanny. That trait certainly facilitated the fun times, crazy adventures, and unbelievable stories that have been so well documented on this board. And it allowed him to immerse himself in the communities whose realities he captured with his photography. But beneath that always-smiling exterior was a good man with an injured soul. He had gravitas that was belied by his carefree demeanor, and a passion for the world that was truly rare. That’s the Noah that I think far fewer people knew…and thats the man I’ll miss.

Noah, the world is a lesser place without you. Godspeed, good sir.

@Skkot and @DerGolgo, I found a few photos and added them to a Google Photos album below. I’m not sure which Ootmiks captured the images originally, but I don’t think they would mind them being used for the video tribute or gallery. Let me know if you run into any issues accessing/downloading the pics.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/HbHyrldOlbHwrwcx2
Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.
- General John Stark

'05 Triumph Daytona 955i ~ Maya
'00 Triumph TT600 ~ Betty (Sold)
Deorai
Magnum Jihad

Postby MoraleHazard » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:34 am

Here are some other photos either I or SZ (I forgot her ootmik handle) took:

ImageIMG_9801 by John M., on Flickr

ImageOn the Bandit 2 by John M., on Flickr

ImageCross Keys Fun 2 by John M., on Flickr
666(k) Retirement Plan of the Beast. Only offered by Dis Annuities.

'91 EX500 (sold)
'04 R1150R

It's like getting bitten by a radioactive horse and instead of getting a really large cock you turn into a brony.
MoraleHazard
Vatican Sex Kitten

PreviousNext

Return to Headline News