PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

EVERYTHING IS MARKED UNREAD!!
click her for the instant fix
Show
First fix:
  • open the menu at the top
  • hit New Posts to see what's actually new and browse the new stuff from there
  • go back to the Forum Index
  • open the menu at the top again
  • click Mark forums read
    this will zero the unread anything for you, so you can strive forth into the exciting world of the new cookie thing.

Because the board got shutdown again because of a load of database, I had to fettle with the settings again.
As part of that, the server no longer stores what topics you have or haven't read.
IT IS STILL RECORDED!
But now, that information lives in a delicious cookie, rather than the forum database.

Upside: this should reduce the load of database.
Downside: if you use multiple devices to access the board, or you reject delicious cookies, you won't always have that information cookie. But the New Posts feature should take care of that.

PLEASE NOTIFY THE ADMINISTERRERRERR ABOUT ANY PROBLEMS!

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching again time. It may work immediately, it may take a few attempts. It will work eventually, I don't think I had to click debauch more than three times. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first couple of attempts.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

Any Ideas on How to Find Decent Roommates??

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
monstergirl
Barista of Doom

Any Ideas on How to Find Decent Roommates??

Post by monstergirl » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:31 pm

Does anyone have any tips on finding decent roommates?
It seems easier to find cool roommates in a larger town, but I have to believe there are still cool people in slightly smaller towns.

I've got this roommate who's almost 50 and refuses to lift a finger. And she's so chipper, it makes me want to puke.

I just want someone who's not a slacker and I don't have to be their fucking mother. If I wanted to be someone's mother, I'd give birth to a kid or adopt one. I do have high standards, but I just don't see how my standards are so fucking hard to meet, considering I'm pretty forward about them from the beginning. Ok, I'll try to stop venting.

So, if anyone has any tips on finding a good roommate, I'd appreciate it. I don't want to be anyone's new best friend and I'm not into communal shit. That's cool for other people, but not me. I'm too old for that.

SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Re: Any Ideas on How to Find Decent Roommates??

Post by motorpsycho67 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:19 pm

monstergirl wrote:I'm too old for that.
Me too. That's why I refuse to have roommates ever again.

Good roommates are as hard to find as a someone to have a LTR with.

I think in the 24 years I've been on my own, I can't remember ever having an ideal roommate. There's always compromise, and I'm too old to put up with other people's crap.

I vowed a long time ago that the next roommate I have will have a ring on her finger.
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:31 pm

Ask for references. Ideally, former roommates at least once removed. That way, they won't tell you what a great guy or gal it is just to get rid of them.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Sisyphus
Rigging the Ancient Mariner

Post by Sisyphus » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:09 pm

ONLY if you wish to move to the East coast. I know a guy. You'd never see him and if you did, he'd be coming or going. He totally minds his own business, doesn't ask questions, pays his bills on time and is cat-like in his attitudes toward humans. Uncanny, really.
Sent from my POS laptop plugged into the wall

kml
El Asbestos Pajamas

Post by kml » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:27 pm

I have a dog....

cheers
ken
I grew up in a trailer park, halloween was great, we'd just line up the kids and drive the neighborhood by them.-Nikki Payne

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:49 pm

Oops, I forgot I do have a roommate. He's so quiet I sometimes forget.

A fat-tailed gecko named Doug Jones.
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

sun rat
Dominatrix of Skulduggery

Post by sun rat » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:21 pm

i now have a roomate. sure we are related, but it won't be any less chaotic than if we weren't. i still have my own room. that is all i care about today.

that said, i have no real advice.

as for the laziness, ask if the woman will go half in on hiring a maid. she's of the age where it'd either be a great idea, or it'd shame her enough to get her off her ass.
fuck it all.

goose
Pâté de Foie Gras

Post by goose » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:45 am

aaahhh roommates. When I first returned to SF I decided I'd try the room-mate route and "be" a new room-mate. Wholly mutha of gawd there are some kooky people in this town. For example - (MT is master tenant, me is.. well, me)

MT: So, do you hang around the house much?
Me: No dude, I work too much and when I have a chance, I'm out on the road or in my room reading, working or playing guitar.
MT: Oh, well, I need a roommate "friend."
Me: (inside voice) Get me the fuck out of here!

2nd "Interview"
MT: Do you cook?
Me: On occasion, I make a mean pot of gumbo and a helluva grilled cheese sandwich
MT: I'm a chef and the ONLY one who cooks in this house.

3rd "Interview"
MT: (female - 40ish and let's just say not my type) Have a girlfriend or boyfriend (It's SF folx)?
Me: No, but I date
MT: Ever have a tryst with a room-mate?

Now I live in a cat-box affectionately referred to as a "charming studio" - hip tip - charming means really f'n small WITH NO DAMN ROOMMATES! Not that I would be any joy to live with - umm, could you get the fairings out of the kitchen? - but man am I glad I live alone!

So, back to the question: Get references from previous cotenants and landlords. Make certain this person has a life that doesn't involve your own. Go to where they are currently living just to see how they really live. AND meet with them several times before approving. No guarantees, but, in my business, i see this crap all the time. OH, NEVER EVER EVER TAKE ON A PERSON WHO HAS BEEN EVICTED. Sure, it all may be some misunderstanding, so what. Not your problem and don't make it your problem.
Drink triples til you're seeing double, feeling single, and looking for trouble! -Johnny Nitro, RIP

"British bikes of that era are made of a special alloy known as Brittainium. It is the only metal known to be able to rust even when fully submerged in oil. It also corrodes microscopic passages through itself whenever it makes contact with any known gasketing material." - AZ Rider

Re: Husaberg Build: "I pictured it more like the heroin addicted ex that keeps turning up, the bleeding you dry, breaking your heart, and crushing your soul, but you keep taking her back because it's the most fun ride you've ever had..." Bo-9

monstergirl
Barista of Doom

Post by monstergirl » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:20 pm

goose wrote:Now I live in a cat-box affectionately referred to as a "charming studio" - hip tip - charming means really f'n small WITH NO DAMN ROOMMATES! Not that I would be any joy to live with - umm, could you get the fairings out of the kitchen? - but man am I glad I live alone!
If the economy didn't suck so hard, I'd sell this place and buy something cheaper, therefore removing the need for a roommate. I miss living alone. The only think I'd miss about this place is my massive garage, but I could make due or build myself a shed for the bikes.

Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions. Multiple interviews sound like a good idea. But sometimes when someone has been living alone, you can't check up with other roommates (as is my case now). I guess I'll have to wait till my roommate stops being a super cheap ass and buys a house. She still think houses are overpriced even though the housing market has crashed here. :roll:

Oh, I could also drop having a social life, which would save me a bunch of money. But then again, isn't that an important part of life?

I've got to suck it up and learn more for next time.
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY

monstergirl
Barista of Doom

Post by monstergirl » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:46 pm

sun rat wrote:as for the laziness, ask if the woman will go half in on hiring a maid. she's of the age where it'd either be a great idea, or it'd shame her enough to get her off her ass.
Oh, she used to have one come in at her last place. I should have taken the hint there that she doesn't like to do anything for herself. She can't take out the garbage or recycling to the can (which are in the nice dry garage about 15-20 feet from the kitchen) and she certainly won't bother to drag the can to the curb. Lame. I don't have money for a housekeeper. I already agreed to get more cable channels, which will cost me more money, even though she's helping to pay it. I also don't really want a housekeeper. I don't want someone around the house when I'm not there and I'm not sure they'd clean to my standard anyway. If I can't find a decent roommate, think of how long it might take me to find a decent housekeeper. Think of how many times I'd need to call a locksmith to change the locks. Ugh. Forget it. I'll just pretend that I like being this woman's mother/housekeeper. :x :x :x
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY

ghost
High Kommand

Post by ghost » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:08 pm

I wish I had advice, but my only good roommate situations were when I had (pre-existing) friends as roommates or were complete dumb luck.

Also, I'm possibly the worst roommate anyone could ever have. I have loud hobbies that take up a lot of space. I have loud, often drunk friends, with whom I spend a lot of time. I listen to loud music. The hobbies that aren't loud and don't take up a lot of space often involve potentially hazardous chemicals and take up a specific, inconvenient space for long periods of time (developing film in the bathroom... I'm looking at you). Oh, and sometimes I take up the entire kitchen for a day to cook things.

(At least I have the decency to lay this out to people who are considering me as a roommate before they make a decision.)

I do pay bills and rent like clockwork though, and I clean up after myself in common areas. I do chores as requested, and I actually enjoy washing dishes. Apparently these are sufficient to overwhelm the bad stuff sometimes.

The only advice I can really offer is to avoid people like me.

Good luck, though.

Flatline
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Flatline » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:33 pm

The best room mates are the ones that are never around. Second to that, living alone. I was pretty happy about my place I just moved out of aside from the fact it was super tiny. Being a hermit can be pretty great at times.

You should begin to annoy the hell out of the woman so she moves. Start slow and move on. Here's a good one for starters: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/b278/
You build it, we break it.

Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Zim » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:58 pm

Ted Kaczynski had it right. Well, except for the whole bomb thing, and being nuts. But he did have a remote cabin and a typewriter.

Ok, maybe he's not a good one to reference.

You could go the Richard Proenneke route, but that might hinder your social life. And I'm guessing Chinese take-out would be difficult. But oh, the peace.
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen

motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Post by motorpsycho67 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:42 pm

goose wrote:but man am I glad I live alone!

A-fucking-men brother!

As far as your current roommate MG, have you ever directly confronted her about why she won't pitch in? Have you told her that your not her mother and that she needs to get off her lazy ass and clean up after herself? Sometimes the guilt/shame route works.

Maybe tell her if she pays the whole cable bill, in return you won't bug her about the cleaning/garbage/recycle issue.

Having roommates is all about compromise.
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.

Whiskeywrist
Barista of Doom

Post by Whiskeywrist » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:59 pm

I've had the best luck by essentially UN selling the available room and circumstances. I lay out all the inconvenient, weird, lifestyle incompatibility and infrastructural quirks at the onset.

It helps thin the herd quite a bit.

Also, being brutal and explicit in your expectations in the ad/interview.

"I don't care what you're into, as long as you're quiet when I'm sleeping, pay your bills on time, and clean the fuck up after yourself"

is a good starter.

deal breakers on the table is good second.
I try to get any prospective stumbling blocks out of the way early:

"I have a gun, I drink a lot, My bike lives inside, I do not/will not likely have a bit of patience for your religious/spiritual beliefs, I hate politics in general, and the most recent regime of America with a special fervor, don't even get me started."

If these are a problem, this isn't going to work.

Honestly the more direct and gritty the ads and interview are, the better luck I've had.

I've had some psychos, slackers, basket cases, and other "bad" roomies, but a lot of really awesome ones as well. Some of my closest friends have been formed through inhabiting the Hanta House together.

We have a good batch right now- Flatline and Myself, Eli, who only comes over to pay bills, and actually lives at girl friend's house, and Jill, the Aerialist/Stagehand/Tattoo artist that cooks awesome soup for us.

It's a lot of trial and error, and is always a crapshoot, but there are good ones to be found. I think that the initial solicitation is the key step in controlling what you end up with.

sorry it's a hassle for you right now, though.

good luck
================================
2014 Aprilia Tuono

kml
El Asbestos Pajamas

Post by kml » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:17 pm

Please don't flame...

But before I got a dog I always selected room mates based on cup size and nubility.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

cheers
ken
I grew up in a trailer park, halloween was great, we'd just line up the kids and drive the neighborhood by them.-Nikki Payne

Zim
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Zim » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:46 am

kml wrote:Please don't flame...

But before I got a dog I always selected room mates based on cup size and nubility.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

cheers
ken
Image?

Image?

OH! n-U-bility, not n-O-bility! Sorry. :mrgreen:
"Every time I start thinking the world is all bad, then I start seeing some people having a good time on motorcycles... it makes me take another look." --Steve McQueen

GOSTAZ
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by GOSTAZ » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:48 am

Get a part time job and eliminate the need for room-mates. Whilst going through divorce and separation, I went as an interviewee for a position as a housemate/room-mate and I gotta tell you, the world is filled with weird motherfuckers.

You belong to any local riding forums? The one person that I almost ended up living with I met as a result of hanging about in a sportbike forum. Had a garage, a decent attitude about life, and was the most sane person that I talked to. He shot from the hip as well, had no problems with laying out his expectations and his quirks.

I am amazed how some folks exist, given their laziness.
Primitive and Useless

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

monstergirl
Barista of Doom

Post by monstergirl » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:40 pm

GOSTAZ wrote:Get a part time job and eliminate the need for room-mates.
You belong to any local riding forums? The one person that I almost ended up living with I met as a result of hanging about in a sportbike forum. Had a garage, a decent attitude about life, and was the most sane person that I talked to. He shot from the hip as well, had no problems with laying out his expectations and his quirks.
I've thought of trying to get a part time job to supplement the income, but haven't really looked for anything yet. And I really cut my expenses as much as I can while still trying to have a social life. The only thing I really spend money on, in terms of "extra" stuff, are parts for the bikes. But who here is going to think that's really "extra"??? And I've been trying to be better about that too.

As for finding someone on a riding forum, the only local one I know of is pretty squidly. Plus, I'm not keen on sharing my garage much. My last roommate was great and only stored his bicycle and camping gear in there. That's one of my interview points: not much room in the garage.

And, I'll be using all your pointers soon. My roommate just gave notice today that she'll be out at the end of the month. So the search starts again. With any luck, I'll get someone from the legislative season who will only be around during the week.

Wish me luck...
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY

GOSTAZ
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by GOSTAZ » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:21 am

Fingers crossed for you. I am lucky that my gf and I make great roommates. But we have no garage. Our mission right now is finding a new domicile with a car/bike hole in it.

Hang in there. Tell the prospective housie that you belong to a cult and flash a few pics from DOOM. That should weed out the doofies a little... :shock:
Primitive and Useless

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Flatline
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Post by Flatline » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:35 am

Hey, if you really don't like the next room mate, you can always throw "biker" parties with half naked women and large amounts of booze and throttle twisting with annoying pipes. Woo!

Or you know the normal prolly would do the trick too, with FBR half nakkid and drunk tearing things up a little dirt bike.
You build it, we break it.