Live action trailer

Discussion for the Akira Powerbike Page.

Live action trailer

Postby calamari kid » Sat May 10, 2014 9:42 am

Better than you'd expect for a fan project. Sadly, not part of a project to remake the full film.

phpBB [media]
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs
calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

BANNER!:
Isle of Man

Re: Live action trailer

Postby DerGolgo » Sat May 10, 2014 10:06 am

That.
Is.

NOTHING
I have seen on a screen since the opening credits of 'Rose' has felt quite as exciting as seeing that trailer.
NOTHING!

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

EDIT: I only now read the comment about it being a fan project.
phpBB [media]

That fan project ... the trailer wasn't the whole project, was it? Please tell me they're making the whole thing.

Please.

Pretty please?

With a cherry on top?

Please?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby DerGolgo » Sat May 10, 2014 12:31 pm

Dammit, I just had to watch it again.
That's the spiciest damn eye-candy I've seen in ages.
Here, dammit, TAKE MY MONEY!!
I'd go to an actual theater to see this, and I can barely see half of my monitors, let alone much of a theater screen!

I see some of the shots in that trailer, they look entirely real. Like real life failure. But, at the same time, these look just like shots from the anime. It's so damn perfect, it's like one of those movies where characters from an animated reality step into the real world or something. The shots at the beginning, the scenes on the motorway, they look so much like the anime, it's uncanny. Downright spooky!

MAKE THIS MOVIE AND TAKE MY MONEY!
I'll buy the damn blue-ray! I've never bought a blue-ray in my life, never even rented one, never even held one in my hands, I don't see the point. But I'd pre-order this one, with next-day delivery and all!! After seeing it in the theater!!
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby calamari kid » Sat May 10, 2014 1:32 pm

Sadly, the trailer does appear to be the whole project.

http://www.akira-project.com/
"Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon." -Honda manual circa 1962

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba...." -Hunter S Thompson

"A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on." -William S. Burroughs
calamari kid
Ayatollah of Mayhem

BANNER!:
Isle of Man

Postby DerGolgo » Sat May 10, 2014 2:00 pm

calamari kid wrote:Sadly, the trailer does appear to be the whole project.

http://www.akira-project.com/

Just look at this, too ...
phpBB [media]

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby problemaddict » Wed May 14, 2014 7:26 pm

This trailer is amazing!

Sucks that hollywood (Warner Bros) has had the rights to this movie for years but refuses to do anything with it. Perhaps that is a good thing. I'm sure they would ruin it. Its a bit of an unruly story w/ a complicated plot. Hollywood would try to clean it up, or make a nice yin/yang, easy to understand who the good guys are vs. the bad guys.

See also: Old Boy (I haven't seen the hollywood version, but the previews made me ill...)
problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

BANNER!:
US Pennsylvania

Postby roadmissile » Wed May 14, 2014 9:23 pm

The Deus Ex tune works really well in there too.

This should be in theaters.

/RM
/Speed is our religion.

"If requests are an option, I'd like to be hit by a beautiful and highly trained nurse, driving a marshmallow. Naked. And then she would buy me an ice cream." - Rev
roadmissile
Chief Marketing Schwaggerizer

Postby Bo_9 » Thu May 15, 2014 5:32 am

problemaddict wrote:This trailer is amazing!

Sucks that hollywood (Warner Bros) has had the rights to this movie for years but refuses to do anything with it. Perhaps that is a good thing. I'm sure they would ruin it. Its a bit of an unruly story w/ a complicated plot. Hollywood would try to clean it up, or make a nice yin/yang, easy to understand who the good guys are vs. the bad guys.

See also: Old Boy (I haven't seen the hollywood version, but the previews made me ill...)

Oldboy! ARRRGH! I tried to watch the "US version" ewww.
See also Let The Right One In, Rec, Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Hell even Death at a Funeral, Shall We Dance, Coupling the TV series, and basic Rom-Com crap.
I have not seen an American version of a foreign film that they made even as good, forget better.
Bad US remakes of foreign films has even made my wife like subtitles.

As much as I would like to see Akira with real actors on the big screen, I also do not want Hollywood to make it.
They cannot do it no matter how much they say they understand the material. The American need for a happy ending will undoubtedly ruin anything they touch.
I understand that the US studios have a strong hold on distribution and if you want your movie here you pretty much have to let them remake it. But, like in the case of GWtDT, I cannot see how they could not just produce a dubbed version especially given the voice talent they already have on tap. The reason we are all like gushing fanboys toward that trailer is because it replicates the look and feel of the original movie to near perfection. But that is not what we would get. They will make a different plot with it based in Manhattan, with American actors, Choppers, and will sanitize all the strange out of it.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"Just one bad day..."
Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Postby DerGolgo » Thu May 15, 2014 8:09 am

Nevermind sanitizing the strange.

They'd sanitize every last character out of it. Except, maybe, Kaori, Tetsuo's girfriend.
Everybody else in the original Akira movie, and I suspect the comic (I have read some of it, but I only scratched the surface this vast epic) is a morally questionable character of some sort.
Kei is a subversive, practices sabotage and infiltration, is a bit of a terrorist, really, and she's by far the most harmless of what's left. Oh, and she's a cop killer.
You got Kaneda, the leader of a violent gang of urban thugs, all of whom habitual drug users and general miscreants.
You got Tetsuo, who is such a lovely character, he first admires his friend's bike all geeky and stuff, and then murders a guy with a pipe in the first act!
You got Colonel Shikishima ... he's fighting against the bad things happening, after he worked on making a lot of it happen, but that turnaround don't make him good, oh no. Not in the sense of the typical officer-hero-type of Hollywood. More like a grim angel of death. With no conscience beyond rabid nationalism. And an army.
There's deranged scientists who don't give a fuck about the dangers they're exposing the innocent to, or how much their work may torture somebody, there's corrupt politicos, deranged cultists, utlra-violent police, ultra-violent student-protesters, just about everybody is a bloodthirsty maniac.
Except the three other test subjects from the experiment that made Akira, and they aren't exactly magnets for audience sympathy.
Really, Kaori seems to be the only actual character in the whole thing who wouldn't make much of an antagonist.

If you tried to make a movie to be anti-Hollywood, you could do a lot worse than Akira.
About the only way I could see it work for Hollywood (though not for anybody else) would be if they reduced basically all the badevil things all the characters do to mere allusions and background and make it a movie about poor girl Kaori, alone in the big city, trying to work out her relationship with her emotionally distant, incidentally genocidal-demi-god boyfriend. Akira, the romcom. That's about all I can see Hollywood doing with the concept that might still bear any resemblance to the source material.

Anything else ... meet Joe Akira, all American boy, who gets hounded by an evil bike gang and falls in love while trying to stop the badevil scientists trying to take over the military with their telekinetic mutant children.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Return to Akira Powerbike Project