Cutting the Cord

Art, Music, Literature and other non-yogurty cultured things.

Cutting the Cord

Postby Bigshankhank » Thu May 04, 2017 4:01 am

For those who have the cable television, have you done this? We found ourselves spending an inordinate amount of time with the TV just blaring in the background in the evening, rooting our asses to the couch and getting nothing of substance done. The wife and I decided after much reflection that, if all we are watching is one or two shows and a bunch of re-runs, let's ditch it and keep the data connection and stream whatever we want to watch. Cable went away on the 1st of April, thus far I have spent much more time working in the garage or yard in the evenings. We will still veg a bit on the couch once the sun goes down and we need to wind down before bed, but overall I think this was a good thing.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Re: Cutting the Cord

Postby DerGolgo » Thu May 04, 2017 5:34 am

I never owned an actual TV, but had a special little card in my PC that let me watch TV.
I noticed I wasn't using it, so when I built a new computer in '09, it didn't go in.
All the time I've spent in hospital over the past few years, I've noticed again and again just why I don't have a TV.
I could stream all manner of stations and networks and things, right on my pc, yet I don't. If I just want something in the background, I turn on some youtube playlist. Otherwise, Netflix and other streaming services, specific shows only.

I can't really see how, these days, linear broadcast TV is still a thing at all.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Bigshankhank » Thu May 04, 2017 5:56 am

Gotta keep the populace mollified (says the guy who thinks he just recently left behind the hoi polloi)
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Jaeger » Thu May 04, 2017 10:21 am

I lived for several years with no TV when I was a bachelor in the days before streaming video. I got a lot more reading done. When I met Mishka she introduced me to TiVO and then it was all downhill from there. :P

Still, I've largely been curtailing my TV intake. I've mostly stopped watching the late-night comedy stuff (Colbert, etc.) to protect my sanity.

We have one of the 3-in-1 FiOS packages. Given my druthers we'd ditch the TV and phone portions and just get a big fat data connection, but she insists on the other two. :P

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 (Seeking New Opportunities)
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Bigshankhank » Thu May 04, 2017 10:43 am

Jaeger wrote:I lived for several years with no TV when I was a bachelor in the days before streaming video. I got a lot more reading done. When I met Mishka she introduced me to TiVO and then it was all downhill from there. :P

Still, I've largely been curtailing my TV intake. I've mostly stopped watching the late-night comedy stuff (Colbert, etc.) to protect my sanity.

We have one of the 3-in-1 FiOS packages. Given my druthers we'd ditch the TV and phone portions and just get a big fat data connection, but she insists on the other two. :P

--Jaeger

Admittedly the price drops very little by ditching the other two (phone & TV/DVR) and the cable providers set it up that way to keep you viewing paid ad content, but what price do you put on your sanity? It finally became worth it to us to just hang on to the data and not worry about the small $$ savings it allows.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby jae » Thu May 04, 2017 12:25 pm

I got into streaming tv shows back in college (circa 2004) when I was just streaming through Winamp on the computer. When we bought our first house in 2007 we got cable for the first time (couldn't afford it if it wasn't included with the apt. we were living in back in college) and kept it until about 2010. With Netflix DVD service (and later streaming) we decided to cut out cable and go with an antenna. Now that streaming has become more prolific (I already subscribe to Amazon Prime, so there's no extra expense there for me, and we've had Netflix since they began streaming), I see no reason to ever go back.
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.
jae
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
US Texas

Postby Bo_9 » Thu May 04, 2017 12:33 pm

We've been cable free for over eight years. But we also have had Netflix since it was a thing. So we have been antenna and streaming for quite a while. Certainly do not miss cable at all, and now if we are someplace with cable the commercials are horrendously annoying. Unfortunately I don't really know if any more gets done.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"Just one bad day..."
Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Postby motorpsycho67 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:27 am

I cut the cord about 7 years ago. Didn't watch tv at all for 5 years, except Netflix on my phone. Bought a tv last year because I was tired of viewing Netflix on a tiny screen. Haven't watched Netflix since I got the tv. Got a digital antenna when I got the tv and I'm satisfied with all the new ota stations. Plenty of stuff to watch, and it do3any cost me a dime. Better than the $100 a month I was shelling out for directv.
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.
motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Postby Aggroton » Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:13 pm

I does the internet thing. Then I have a digital tuner for local news and live sports and what not. They actually have some pretty sick channels on digital air. There is a b movie channel. And a dude movie channel.
thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Postby Bo_9 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:49 am

We're going to have to get an aerial at the new house. The little flat amplified antennas just don't pull in enough signal.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"Just one bad day..."
Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:00 pm

So now we have added an Amazon Firestick to the retinue at home. In addition to our data network, we have the PS3 we use for some apps (Crunchyroll mostly) and we were using it for Netflix but apparently the app works better on the Firestick. Unfortunately all the good content requires a paid Amazon Prime account, and I have no interest in that.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:26 am

Have some kids, you'll never have time to watch TV!
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:07 am

red wrote:Have some kids, you'll never have time to watch TV!

Got em and got rid of em, you’ll be here one day.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Jaeger » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:46 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
red wrote:Have some kids, you'll never have time to watch TV!

Got em and got rid of em, you’ll be here one day.

Yeah, but that's a loooooong way away for some of us... :shock:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:00 pm

Well, I would suggest you use the cheat code I discovered;
Up-Up
Down-Down
Wait-Till-You-Are-in-Your-30’s-Then-Marry-a-Single-Mother-of-Three
Start

But your respective current spouses would probably hit the pause button before you got that far.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Jaeger » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:21 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:Well, I would suggest you use the cheat code I discovered...
...But your respective current spouses would probably hit the pause button before you got that far.

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:24 pm

Jaeger wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote:Well, I would suggest you use the cheat code I discovered...
...But your respective current spouses would probably hit the pause button before you got that far.

--Jaeger

I love Mishka, but hey I am just trying to help a brotha out.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Return to Effete Snobbery