PLEASE LOGIN TO SEE ANYTHING.
This measure is inconvenient, yes, but necessary at present.
Click below for more information.

2024 LOGIN/Posting ISSUES
Click if you have a problem.
Show

If you cannot Debauch because you get an IP blacklist error, try Debauching a second time. Someone is overzealous at our hosting company, but only on the first attempt.

If you have problems logging in, posting, or doing anything else, please get in touch.
You know the email (if you don't, see in the registration info below), you know where to find the Administerrerrerr on the Midget Circus.

Some unpleasant miscreant was firing incessant database queries at our server, which forced the Legal Department of our hosting company, via their Abuse subdivision, to shut us down. No I have none.
All I can do it button the hatches, and tighten up a few things. Such as time limits on how long you may take to compose a post and hit Debauch! As of 24/01/10, I've set that at 30 minutes for now.

To restrict further overloads, any unregistered users had to be locked out.
How do we know who is or isn't an unregistered user?
By forcing anyone who wants in to Log In.
Is that annoying?
Yes. But there's only so much the Administerrerrerr can do to keep this place running.

Again, if you have any problems: get in touch.

REGISTRATION! NEW USERS!
Registration Information
Show
Automatic registration is disabled for security reasons.
But fear not!
You can register!

Option the First:
Please drop our fearless Administerrerrerr a line.
Tell him who you are, that you wish to join, and what you wish your username to be. The Administerrerrerr will get back to you. If you're human, and you're not a damn spammer, expect a reply within 24 hoursish. Usually quicker, rarely slower.

Unfortunately, the Contact Form is being a total primadonna right now, so please send an email to the obvious address.
Posting this address in clear text is just the "on" switch for spambots, but here is a hint.

Option the Second:
Find us on Facebook, in the magnificent
Umah Thurman Midget Circus
Join up there, or just drop the modmins a message. They will pass any request on to the Administerrerrerr for this place.

New Off-Road Toy

A forum for the off topic stuff. Everything from religion to philosophy to sex to humor (see why it used to be called Buggery?). All manner of rude psychological abuse is welcome and encouraged.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

New Off-Road Toy

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:07 am

Technically this is my son's.

It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Re: New Off-Road Toy

Post by red » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:44 am

My friend in High School had one of those, it was jangleplatz! Like a bigger, beefier version of the Samurai.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:39 am

Coincidentally, my parents were going to buy me a Samurai when I was in high school until that dammed Consumer Reports expose about rollover risks came out. I ended up with their old Tercel instead. But like you I also had a friend who had one of these when we were in college. I thought it was the coolest thing that it has an inclinometer in the dash, and when I drove this one home I was still dazzled by that feature. Considering how windy it has been with Hurricane Michael blowing past (it didn't hit us down here but we still got a ton of wind and rain from it) I experienced first hand just how much like a sail these things are.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red

Post by red » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:26 pm

The Consumer Reports testing was rigged against the Samurai. I had a hard top aka tin top model and it was completely awesome. Too bad they've all rusted away, been hacked for off roading, or are completely overpriced. I'd love to have another.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:46 pm

Past two weekends we removed a good portion of the front end of the engine in an effort to replace the spark plugs, timing belt and water pump plus associated tensioners because the PO was a flipper and had no maintenance records.
Before we fucked with it
After befuckery
All the parts which were effectively fucked

At the same time, clearing out so much of the engine bay allowed unique access to some grease points as well as an unexpected angle on the front upper shock mounts, so we went ahead and continued with the fuckeration and greased/replaced them while it was laid bare. We also replaced what I had assumed was a faulty oil pressure sending unit.

And when it was all said and done, cleaned and flushed and reassembled and fluids refilled, lo and behold it started up, and didn't leak. Sadly the replacement oil pressure sending unit made no difference, leading me to believe I have a bad pressure gauge in the dash. We also had a pair of new rear shocks but a certain website that shall remain nameless (but sounds like shockmotto) sent me two different rear shocks, so we are waiting on the correct one to arrive. Nevertheless my son and I learned together that this car can take a good fucking and make it through.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:52 pm

BTW the one pictures is after about three shots of foaming engine cleaner/degreaser, and no I had not yet removed all of the old water pump gasket. A couple more cleanings, some time with a couple wire brushes and a soft metal scraper to remove the residual gaskets and it looked a ton better. I was also pretty happy that the front crank seal wasn't leaking (knock on wood). I didn't need to remove the flywheel for the timing belt, only to check the seal but again, while I was that deep in there I might as well check it to be sure. I left the OEM seal in place because this is one of the items, unlike the water pump that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" applies.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:21 am

Welp, shocks on all four corners are done, and the title/tag is squared away. Time for some drivin’!
-Davros

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:06 am

Since my son at 6'-3" cannot comfortably fit in the driver's seat, my 4-Runner went to my wife and her PT Cruiser went to my son and this has become mine. I cannot deny that this was something my heart desired. Daily driving it over some distances has revealed a few more flaws like worn out ball joints, a leaking power steering pump and a bad fuel sending unit. Still its a really fun little truckster and definitely not something people see on the road everyday. I guess I am living the DSM life now.
-Davros

red

Post by red » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:06 am

They are cool little SUVs. More pics!!!
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:17 pm

I actually don't have any more since I haven't had much chance for it to sit still as I've been driving it everyday. Fear not, I'll have a few more soon.
-Davros

problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

Post by problemaddict » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:10 pm

Wait. Your son had a cool-as-shit Raider and he let you have it in exchange for a fucking PT Cruiser?!? (I hope Mean Chuck doesn't see this post! LOL).

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:29 pm

problemaddict wrote:Wait. Your son had a cool-as-shit Raider and he let you have it in exchange for a fucking PT Cruiser?!? (I hope Mean Chuck doesn't see this post! LOL).
At least Chuck's PT is a turbo, this has the plain jane 2.4l I4 engine, no frills. I will say The Boy is dissappointed that he wasn't comfortable in this, and truth be told with as wobbly as the suspension is (refer to the ball joint comments above) I think its better that he not be behind the wheel.
-Davros

red

Post by red » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:28 am

Bigshankhank wrote:... and truth be told with as wobbly as the suspension is (refer to the ball joint comments above) I think its better that he not be behind the wheel.
Sounds like my first Jeep, 86 CJ7. The leaf springs were practically flat due to DIY lift shackles, the sway bar was so loose you could shake it and every other component was worn out. The previous owner fancied himself a mechanic, spoiler alert, he wasn't.

Oh yeah, he also pulled the rollover valve off the gas tank but never plugged the holes, so I could only put 1/2 tank of gas in at a time or I left a flammable trail everywhere I went.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:35 am

red wrote:
Oh yeah, he also pulled the rollover valve off the gas tank but never plugged the holes, so I could only put 1/2 tank of gas in at a time or I left a flammable trail everywhere I went.
It sounds like he was trying to kill himself.

red

Post by red » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:01 pm

https://jalopnik-com.cdn.ampproject.org ... 831046049/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Post by xtian » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:08 pm

link not working for me . this ? https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-a-mitsub ... 1831046049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not really from around here.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:53 am

Only real drawback is a lack of aftermarket support, even from when they were new.
-Davros

red

Post by red » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:54 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:
Only real drawback is a lack of aftermarket support, even from when they were new.

Yup. That always seems to be the dilemma to most of the toys I buy. Kinda sucks liking odd ball stuff.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:28 am

Sonabitching windshield wiper arm flew off while driving home in the rain over the weekend, luckily the local JY has one so I pulled both wiper arms off of that one, and while I was there grabbed the oil pressure gauge out of it. Going back this weekend for the full set of OEM rims since mine has some gen2 Toyota 4-Runner rims on it.
-Davros

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:24 pm

Yay parts! The worst is needing parts and facing a desert of bullshit.

MATPOC
The Unreasonable Ukranian

Post by MATPOC » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:41 pm

PULL THE WHOLE WIPER MECHANISM, might need it, those pivots and balljoints usually wear out

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:48 pm

MATPOC wrote:PULL THE WHOLE WIPER MECHANISM, might need it, those pivots and balljoints usually wear out
I think that requires some digging, because the valence that the wiper motor is behind cannot be easily removed. I think I have to go through the firewall.
-Davros

MATPOC

Post by MATPOC » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:34 am

I suppose in FL you don't have to worry much about Snow and Ice fucking up your wiper arms

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:09 am

I did have a good lol this afternoon. The spare tire cover, though in good shape, had come loose and the draw string was broken so I took the cover off and tossed it in the back. I decided to check the date code on the spare, 19th week of 1990. So yeah, I don't think its the original tire but its probably from the 2nd set. Its got like-new tread on it though.
-Davros

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:08 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:... I decided to check the date code on the spare, 19th week of 1990.... Its got like-new tread on it though.
...that you can flake off with a fingernail?

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:41 am

Jaeger wrote:
...that you can flake off with a fingernail?

--Jaeger
Pretty much, in fact the rim itself has mildew growing on it, its been that long since its seen the light of day.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:55 pm

Oil change #2 in my time with this little trucklet and it gave me a bit of a start. I noticed while removing the oil filter (which is in a terrible location FWIW) that the front passenger side shock was loose. Turns out one of the lower retaining bolts had up and disappeared and allowed the forked end to work itself loose from the 2nd bolt. Luckily the bolt did not shear in the blind nut inside the lower control arm.
Couple new bolts and everything is tight again. I may eventually want to come up with a filter relocation setup, but for now I am glad I had to go there.
-Davros

MATPOC

Post by MATPOC » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:36 am

My Ram had similar issue, front end rattled like crazy and I found all lower bolts were loose on the shocks, also worn out about 1/2 way through (been loose a while I guess) would have been a MF'er of a job extracting those rusty stumps from control arms if they had sheered. All is well now, truck gone, traded for a paint job on the house.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:34 am

Since this oil change was the removal of the 1st oil change I did, and thus I KNEW what the oil was and how long it had been in there, I sent a sample of it to Blackstone for analysis. I am eagerly awaiting the report.
-Davros

MATPOC

Post by MATPOC » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:33 pm

What is Blackstone?