TEST RIDE: INDIAN SCOUT!

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.

Re: TEST RIDE: INDIAN SCOUT!

Postby 0l4fderstout » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:52 pm

yeah you will probably want to have *something* back there to strap bungees to, your only other option is the shocks and that just feels shady to do on a regular.
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby Jaeger » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:31 pm

0l4fderstout wrote:yeah you will probably want to have *something* back there to strap bungees to, your only other option is the shocks and that just feels shady to do on a regular.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Looks like you could bungee to the rack itself, but that's asking to have shit fall off. :P

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Bigshankhank » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:36 am

Just doing my part to keep you bastards safe out there.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall/indian-scout-brake-recall/
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby 0l4fderstout » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:13 am

Thanks for the heads up! I'm a year early and no ABS, however Jaeger might be swinging in for a little dealership love.
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby Jaeger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:34 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Just doing my part to keep you bastards safe out there.

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/recall/indian-scout-brake-recall/

In this case, thankfully I don't have ABS (though I'd originally intended to get it).

Right now the first order of business is to get the foot positioning sorted. The stock pegs are too slender and are in the wrong place. Since the passenger pegs are useless for the rider (too high, too far forward) there's nowhere to move around on the bike.

I'm thinking of the "Riot" floorboards from Kuryakyn:

That , or something like the "Gortboards." I read a really good review of these last night:

Dumb question to the group: anybody have any experience with floorboards? I'm hoping to get something long enough that i can move my feet around—preferably something that extends back so I can get my feet under me better—but that doesn't impede cornering clearance.

↑That one stretches all the way back so that I think I could stand up in the saddle. :)

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:02 pm

Is it maybe an option to mount multiple floorboards back to back?
Do those boards have to fold up or something when she goes down, or would it be an option to just bolt something nice to it? Length of metal with some old tire nailed on top of it? A cast-iron gutter grating of the right dimensions, rubberized maybe?
A child's ironing board?

What setup did you have on Athena? Was it dissatisfactory?
If you're gonna part her out, or hand her to the midden men, would a transplant/memento be an option?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Jaeger » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:33 pm

DerGolgo wrote:
What setup did you have on Athena? Was it dissatisfactory?
If you're gonna part her out, or hand her to the midden men, would a transplant/memento be an option?

That's what's odd. Athena also has pegs, and they're really far forward—moreso than these, even. But the're big fat rubber ones, so I can rest my ankles on 'em on the highway. Also, the passenger pegs are set so they make for decent impromptu rearsets.

Lilah's are close for that, and they're hard and narrow, so they hurt. The passenger pegs are nigh useless for the rider.

The floorboards above all have hinges (I think) so they fold up. I know the Gorts do, and I think the Riots do as well.

I really like the dirtbike-style treads. I want to make absolutely goddamn sure my feet have purchase on whatever's down there. The diamond-plate looks cool too, I'm just worried they could get slick in the wet.

I wish to fuck I could actually see these things rather than trying to guess from pictures on teh interwebz. :P

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby 0l4fderstout » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:50 am

The other Scout 60 I tried had the boards on it, they were a major strike against that bike . The OEM boards also obstructed getting my foot under the shifter with my composite toe boots. They also felt very very flimsy. Even with just the pegs it can sometimes be hairy. The Mustang seat helped some of the geometry. I need to lengthen the linkage on the shifter, so that I can get a boot under in a hurry.

As for general boards experience, they typically mount to the hinge, and will come up some if you grind them a little. (The douche canoe's floor boards were well ground,) The boards on that other S60 were the same. They will, however, fuck you hard if you grind them too much too fast. (Go watch some tail of the dragon crashes when dumbasses try to super lean their ultra/road/street glides through corners too fast.)

Edited to add: the Mustang seat brought me closer to a vertical shin than the stock seat. (Closer to standard positioning than cruiser.) Before you change too much on the bottom, change the seat, if that is your intention.
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby 0l4fderstout » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:49 am

J&P is running Mustang Seats at 10% off right now.. (A heads up, if that's on your shopping list..) https://www.jpcycles.com/indian-scout-seats/mustang
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby DerGolgo » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:46 am

Jaeger wrote:That's what's odd. Athena also has pegs, and they're really far forward—moreso than these, even. But the're big fat rubber ones, so I can rest my ankles on 'em on the highway. Also, the passenger pegs are set so they make for decent impromptu rearsets.

Lilah's are close for that, and they're hard and narrow, so they hurt. The passenger pegs are nigh useless for the rider.

Sounds like the relation between seat-height, handlebar-location, and peg-position is probably different?

I wonder. Is someone making a fully-adjustable board or peg-set, so you can fettle it to perfection?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Jaeger » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:43 am

0l4fderstout wrote:The other Scout 60 I tried had the boards on it, they were a major strike against that bike . The OEM boards also obstructed getting my foot under the shifter with my composite toe boots. They also felt very very flimsy. Even with just the pegs it can sometimes be hairy. The Mustang seat helped some of the geometry. I need to lengthen the linkage on the shifter, so that I can get a boot under in a hurry....

...J&P is running Mustang Seats at 10% off right now.. (A heads up, if that's on your shopping list..) https://www.jpcycles.com/indian-scout-seats/mustang

Hmmm... I'm concerned that the floorboards will muck up lean clearance, so I appreciate the feedback. I'd mostly ruled out the OEM floorboards but I think your comment clinches it. I do need to do something about the pegs, though. Looking at the Indian next to the Triumph the difference is obvious -- like the grips, the pegs on the Triumph are bigger and softer. That, and the ability to use the passenger pegs is huge.

The two frontrunners right now are the "Gortboards," which apparently don't affect clearance [LINK], and the "Riot" mini-floorboards from Kuryakyn, which don't provide as much real estate but pretty obviously don't compromise clearance either (and they look really cool).

As for the saddle, I'm going to hold off on that mostly due to financial constraints. Also, I'm hoping that the addition of a tail pack will help as a backrest on longer rides (and to keep me from sliding back under hard acceleration). That said, I have been eyeing replacement saddles and backrests... I wish to hell that the stock seat would take one of their goddamn backrests, but they only apparently work on the "extended/reduced" replacements. :P

--Jaeger

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Jaeger » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:22 pm

Floorboards are on! I still need to glue down the rubber deckplate, but this is what they'll look like:

This is a shit picture, but you can get an idea of the clearance with this (slightly higher than the pegs, in fact)

I'm pretty pleased with these. Only concern is that there is very little play in the hinge. Once those fuckers touch down, you gotta back off. Thankfully they'll significantly higher than the pegs, and I don't ride like that much of a lunatic any more... mostly.

Otherwise, they seem to be WAAAAAY more comfortable. I think I'll be able to stand on them, or at least better brace when I know I'm going to hit a bump.

Other pix here

--Jaeger

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby DerGolgo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:41 pm

On Friday, July 13, 2018, Jaeger wrote:
--Jaeger

--Jaeger

On Sunday, July 22, 2018, Jaeger wrote:
--Jaeger

--Jaeger

Twice, on two posts in a row.

Okay, okay, what's the joke, what's the gimmick?
A cunning linguist like yourself doesn't make mistakes such as this. Are you trying to illustrate how you'd like if Mishka rode pillion? Of if you could ride pillion behind Mishka?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Jaeger » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:24 am

DerGolgo wrote:Twice, on two posts in a row.

Okay, okay, what's the joke, what's the gimmick?
A cunning linguist like yourself doesn't make mistakes such as this. Are you trying to illustrate how you'd like if Mishka rode pillion? Of if you could ride pillion behind Mishka?

Ha! That's the result of my badly editing my posts. Oops. :shock:

--Jaeger
(just once)

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Jaeger » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:23 pm

UPDATE: Floorboards FTW!

MUUUUUCH better in terms of comfort. Now I can actually get some purchase with my feet when going over bumps, shuffle around on longer rides, etc.

Have already gently dropped the bike on one. It held the bike up. I'm no longer concerned.

Next up: Grips. The stock grips suck. I got some Lowbrow Customs ones that'll be more comfy, I just haven't tried putting them on yet. (Also, mildly worried about trying to strip the stock one off the throttle tube...)

After that, I think I need to break down and get a fairing/flyscreen of some type. 0l4fderstout, looks like you have something on the front of yours -- how you like it? I'm thinking one of the Dart flyscreens -- either the classic or the "Piranha," though I fear the latter will be inadequate.

The wind blast on this thing is really enough that I think I need something, I just don't want to make crazy turbulence around my head. :P

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby 0l4fderstout » Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:08 am

I have one of the stock removable screens. It’s not as convenient to remove as the HD ones (score one for HD for easy on off accessories, no engineers required) but it comes to the lower edge of my helmet and thus does the trick in the rain and deflecting rocks. I wish it was wider but it keeps with the modern look of the bike.

I’d really like an ADV version of the scout. I think it has potential. I really want to replace these bags with something bigger. They’re just a hair small for my needs. (youre dead on about the grips and pegs. I’ll be ordering those boards as soon as I finish paying off the bike. (Maybe as early as next January)
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby Jaeger » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:03 am

0l4fderstout wrote:I have one of the stock removable screens. It’s not as convenient to remove as the HD ones (score one for HD for easy on off accessories, no engineers required) but it comes to the lower edge of my helmet and thus does the trick in the rain and deflecting rocks. I wish it was wider but it keeps with the modern look of the bike.

I’d really like an ADV version of the scout. I think it has potential. I really want to replace these bags with something bigger. They’re just a hair small for my needs. (youre dead on about the grips and pegs. I’ll be ordering those boards as soon as I finish paying off the bike. (Maybe as early as next January)

One of the things that appeals to me about the Dart screens is that they're apparently easy to take off. We'll see. I'm generally not real keen on windscreens, but between this thing being a fire-breathing monster and me getting old and wimpy, I gotta do something to improve the aerodynamics a bit. Indeed, both the OEM screens and the Dart screens are kind've skinny, but anything bigger would look like shit -- or the Arlen Ness cafe-farings, which look kind've cool, but (1) require moving the turn signals, and (2) are bloody gawd-awful expensive.

Re saddlebags, check these out: https://www.ebay.com/i/332472369625?chn=ps

I've no idea about the quality, but they're at least more affordable than pretty much anything else on the market. I'm guessing they're Chinese shit, but... I mean, for chrissakes, it's a glorified bucket with a lid and some mounting hardware. How fucking hard can it be to crank these things out?

An ADV version of this engine would be awesome. Hell, look at the forthcoming FTR! That thing has the potential to be a hand-of-god type of machine.

And yes, absolutely consider the Gort floorboards. They are MUCH MUCH MUCH more comfortable. Haven't had any issues with lean angle. Install is fairly easy (though don't overdo the Gorilla glue like I did). Only thing I half-assed is that I need to replace the pin holding them on with a proper bolt and locking nut (the original pin uses a retaining wire clip that you'll destroy removing), but it's all tight enough that the pin hasn't moved in the 50+ miles I've put on it since then. (It would've been nice if the goddamn Home Despot had the right bolts in stock yesterday.)

I need to get the saddlebag mounting spindles. I tried strapping a bag to the luggage rack yesterday, but... yeah, trying to bungee directly to the rack itself sucks. You seen anything better than $100 for those stupid little billet tubes?

I'll also let you know what I find w/r/t the grips. The replacements I see that are built for the Scout seem to have the throttle tube already in 'em... HERE are the ones I already purchased, just haven't worked up the courage to dig into putting 'em on. Want to snoop around online for more intel.

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby 0l4fderstout » Wed Aug 01, 2018 6:38 am

For the heat on the right thigh I just got some chaps. (I would have bought riding pants but finding ones that fit my fat ass and short legs that I could afford was a 2 year failure and there's more brobikers out there who get chaps apparently.) Between shielding the sub-patellar knee and keeping the rain mostly off, they made it a bit more comfortable on the bike without adding one of those weird leather heat shield things.

The spindles seem to be the best bungee friendly item out there.

"You seen anything better than $100 for those stupid little billet tubes? " <-- for which? I'm old and brain damaged so I'm not following.
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby Jaeger » Mon May 06, 2019 11:12 am

D'jall see this?

BikeEXIF wrote:...Image
The FTR comes in three flavors: The $13,499 base model (above), the S version at $15,499, and the S ‘Race Replica’ at $16,999. The S is the benchmark and comes in two colors (below right); the base model sacrifices a number of features and comes in plain black, while the Race Replica adds Akrapovič cans, race replica paint and a red frame (below left).

All three share the same chassis, and the same liquid-cooled, 1,203 cc 60-degree V-twin motor. Numbers are respectable; 123 hp at 8,250 rpm, and 120 Nm of torque at 5,900 rpm. Power is handled by a slip assist clutch, a six-speed transmission and chain drive.

MORE HERE: http://www.bikeexif.com/indian-ftr-1200-review

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby 0l4fderstout » Tue May 07, 2019 6:14 am

Revzilla dropped theirs...

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2 ... cle-review

I'm actually kind of glad Lemmy didn't review this one, as the bike really seems more geared toward Spurgeon.

Revzilla wrote: The FTR 1200 is not a sport bike, or a touring bike, nor is it a dirt bike. That being said, I would never want to take a sport bike off-road, a touring bike would not be my first pick for canyon carving, and a dirt bike would rattle me to death at highway speeds. The FTR is a standard motorcycle that can do a little bit of all of those things, rolled into one package, with a style different from anything else being produced right now by a major manufacturer.

I liked the FTR best when I was riding it around town and traversing mountain passes. It excels as a sporty, day-to-day motorcycle. Commute on it, escape the city on it, crack the throttle open and have some fun on it. It won’t disappoint.

Where I liked it the least was off-road. This bike is very heavily street-biased. While you can have some fun on a hard-packed dirt road, it’s not really designed for that, even if Indian does sell a Rally or Tracker package. If I were looking for something more functional off-road, I’d check out an adventure bike.

That said, they are allegedly working on an adventure bike and since mines about to be paid off, I feel downpayment savings coming on.

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby 0l4fderstout » Tue May 07, 2019 6:17 am

In other Scout related news, look at this magnificent bastard. (The Scout with the sidecar, but the dog is pretty magnificent too...)

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby Aggroton » Fri May 10, 2019 11:25 am

thats a sweet bike.
Aggroton
Chuck Asap

BANNER!:
Jamaica

Postby Jaeger » Sun May 19, 2019 6:18 am

Drag Bike: A 130 hp nitrous-fueled Indian Scout Bobber

BikeEXIF wrote:Right now, thousands of fans and motorcycles are converging on Monza for The Reunion—a weekend-long celebration of custom motorcycle culture. It’s also where the first round of the Sultans of Sprint sprint race series is happening. And that means that a whole lot of new race bikes are breaking cover.

This is the first one we’ve seen this season, and it’s set the bar impossibly high. Named ‘Appaloosa,’ it’s a 2018-model Indian Scout Bobber that’s been masterfully overhauled by Brice Hennebert, at Workhorse Speedshop in Belgium.

The bike was commissioned by Indian’s European office, to compete in the ‘Factory’ class at Sultans of Sprint. The class is for four-strokes only, but there’s no limit on engine capacity—provided your power-to-weight ratio doesn’t exceed 0,65 hp / kg.

With a 30 hp nitrous boost bringing the Indian’s total output to 130 hp, and a 42 kg weight saving, Brice is spot on. But it wasn’t easy; there’s over 700 hours of work in this monstrous sprinter. That’s because Sultans of Sprint isn’t just about going fast—it’s about looking flash, too. ...

MORE HERE: http://www.bikeexif.com/indian-scout-bobber-drag-bike

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby DerGolgo » Sun May 19, 2019 7:15 am

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby AZRider » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:19 pm

Jaeger, if you still have not bought yourself a Mustang seat, raid the piggy bank. Every cruiser style bike I have ever ridden with a Mustang has been a major comfort improvement over stock. They know their shit.
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"Don't sweat the buckshot." - Buttzilla
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn
AZRider
"I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Jaeger » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:18 pm

AZRider wrote:Jaeger, if you still have not bought yourself a Mustang seat, raid the piggy bank. Every cruiser style bike I have ever ridden with a Mustang has been a major comfort improvement over stock. They know their shit.

It's a possibility. I'm also considering Mean City Cycles -- they reupholster the stock seats. From the reviews and boards I've read they do a damn good job too -- basically retains the stock look (albeit a bit taller), but with a massive improvement in comfort.

Regardless, I gotta do something. The current arrangement is simply unacceptable. :shock:

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby Jaeger » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:18 pm

MO.com wrote:MO.com Best Streetfighter / Hooligan Motorcycle of 2019: Indian FTR1200S
Well yeah, the FTR did not win our little Monster 1200/Yamaha XSR900 comparo, and is currently taking heavy fire in the Comments section from the sportbike purists. But as you know, MOBOs are also selected using other criteria, including historical significance, originality, and the debating skills and/or ability of a given bike’s proponent to wear the other contenders down with BS via Google Hangout.

Actually, there wasn’t even a big fight. The Tuono’s won enough of these things that everybody agreed it was time for something fresh, and there’s nothing fresher than the unique FTR1200 “Streettracker.” It’s definitely original; it really falls somewhere between streetfighter and ADV bike, thanks to those 19/18-inch wheels and bespoke Dunlop DT3 tires. It lost the comparo, but the tables might’ve been turned if the venue had included dirt roads or the evening club circuit.

Historical significance-wise, Indian probably could’ve taken the safe route and just kept on building heavy cruisers and Scouts. It could’ve also designed an all new street-going FTR750 and built a really nubile ripper that everyone would then lambast for being too expensive and impractical. Instead, it buckled down to stuff a thoroughly massaged and 22-pounds lighter 1200 cc Scout engine into an all-new frame: 112 horsepower at a lowly 8600 rpm is plenty for now, but as with any big V-Twin, the torque’s the main course. Nothing says vaminos like 70 pound-feet of torque at 3000 rpm, and the whole 80 lb-ft. enchilada is served 3000 rpm later. It’s sonically delicious and thoroughly satisfying.

Quibble if you must that the FTR isn’t a purer sportbike, but understand that it still goes around corners remarkably well, along with stopping, going, and doing all the other things you expect. Its slight largeness makes it a better place for two people to sit than most, and standard cruise control on both base and “S” models mean you can even tour on it (limited by its too-small 3.4-gallon fuel tank).

At the end of the day, this thing has remarkably few flaws for a first-year effort, heck, the first-ever effort by a major American manufacturer to build a serious high-performance sportbike in modern times. Thank you, Indian, congratulations, and keep up the good work. What’s next?

LINK TO MO.COM

:mrgreen:

And I say this from the bottom of my heart: LET'S HEAR IT FOR 'MURKIN FUCKIN' MOTORCYCLES! WOO HOO! Somebody's truly bringing us back into the game!

I gotta go get a test ride on one. Tee hee.

Side note: I have parts -- including new saddle -- on the way! Updates to follow. Moo hoo ha ha...

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Previous

Return to Rants & Rides