eBike obsessed!

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.

Re: eBike obsessed!

Postby problemaddict » Thu May 09, 2019 7:10 pm

DerGolgo wrote:
Now imagine charging up cars. A busy service station would need what for a busy time window, a hundred outlets? 10,200 kW. That's 10.2 Megawatt. WAY out in the sticks.

I think we were talking about this in another thread, but I found some interesting theory about how the electric grid will deal with all this demand in the future. It boils down to having multitudes of electric vehicles plugged in at all times. If a standard can be developed that allows 2-way charging, when the grid gets a spike, it pulls current from all the plugged in vehicles. As the vehicle owner, you can opt in or out, or even be compensated for the electricity that is pulled from your battery.

I encourage anyone interested to read both installments of the "Electric Terry" interview on New Atlas, but he specifically talks about this issue in part two:

About half way down this page:

https://newatlas.com/electric-terry-her ... ger/53626/
problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

BANNER!:
US Pennsylvania

Postby Jaeger » Fri May 10, 2019 6:10 am

You guys see this?

BikeEXIF wrote: Elegant is not often a word used to describe electric bikes, but this pared-down tracker is both petite and beautiful. It’s from a new shop called Blatant Moto, based in the Dogpatch area of San Francisco—and the builders obviously know what they are doing.

“We’re three ex-Alta employees,” says designer and co-founder John McInnis. “The same group that put together the Crapshoot, an Alta-powered drag bike.”

http://www.bikeexif.com/electric-flat-tracker

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 (Seeking New Opportunities)
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby DerGolgo » Sat May 11, 2019 9:34 am

problemaddict wrote:
DerGolgo wrote:
Now imagine charging up cars. A busy service station would need what for a busy time window, a hundred outlets? 10,200 kW. That's 10.2 Megawatt. WAY out in the sticks.

I think we were talking about this in another thread, but I found some interesting theory about how the electric grid will deal with all this demand in the future. It boils down to having multitudes of electric vehicles plugged in at all times. If a standard can be developed that allows 2-way charging, when the grid gets a spike, it pulls current from all the plugged in vehicles. As the vehicle owner, you can opt in or out, or even be compensated for the electricity that is pulled from your battery.

I encourage anyone interested to read both installments of the "Electric Terry" interview on New Atlas, but he specifically talks about this issue in part two:

About half way down this page:

https://newatlas.com/electric-terry-her ... ger/53626/

IIRC, my concern was like a motorway service station, many miles away from large cities and/or large generating stations. Exactly where you might have to charge your car, at least partially, in just a few minutes.
While many car batteries might serve to buffer the grid, there must be a connection between the grid and that far-removed motorway service station, basically an umbillical extension of the grid, to a place where there won't be cars nearby to offer up a charge.

I guess they would install a massive battery or capacitor at that service station. But it would still need a substantial power line to charge up during non-peak hours, and to have some extra capacity for rising demand or situations with unusually high demand. Suppose they only need those 10.2 MW I suggested for two hours per day, and average 0.5 MW over the remaining 22 hours (that's probably lowballing, I'd guesstimate). That's 31.4 Megawatt-Hours per day. To give a safety margin, make it 36 Megawatt-Hours per day. That would still require a 1.5 Megawatt power-supply to satisfy that demand, and charge up the gargantuan battery they'd have to have, running 24/7.

And that's a single mode of failure. One powerline fails, and hundreds, if no thousands of cars might get stranded in the middle of nowhere.
So to make sure it works, you'd need at least one more connection to that distant grid, one that can handle the same load on its lonesome.

Alternatively, one might install a bio-gas fueled gas-turbine generating station at one such distant locale, one that fires up whenever that long, long line fails.
I did the googles, and a 1.5 MW natural gas fired generating stations would cost >US$ 1 million to install. A busy motorway service station surely is expensive already, these days.
But take that US$ 1 million, add to that the massive cost of the buffering battery, and the long powerline(s).
I guess, quite possibly, the cost-effective solution would be no grid-connection at all. Just installing a couple of redundant generators, and large battery, and deliver biogas or synthetic hydrocarbons by truck. Would be a lot of trucks. But shouldn't be much more than the trucks presently delivering the fossil-fuels that such a remote service station is presently providing, so that should work.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby problemaddict » Sat May 18, 2019 5:50 pm

Honda MB-5 ebike project. 230lbs 30kw (40hp) I dig it:

phpBB [media]

Build thread:

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 7de94e1183
problemaddict

BANNER!:
US Pennsylvania

Postby problemaddict » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:41 pm

Alta Redshift drivetrain into a Grom!

phpBB [media]
problemaddict

BANNER!:
US Pennsylvania

Postby problemaddict » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:19 am

I'd seen some pix of the newest ̶C̶o̶n̶f̶e̶d̶e̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ Curtisss bike, I hadn't clicked on any of the articles to learn that J.T. Nesbitt is actually back on the design team there. I dig this Hades WAY more than the ridiculous looking Zeus. However, like all the other post-Wraith, post-Nesbitt ̶C̶o̶n̶f̶e̶d̶e̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ Curtisss designs, it looks like someone got a new CNC Machine for Xmas and just HAD to build a motorcycle. Routing and 45deg chamfers everywhere, but it just doesn't appear "finished".
Anyway, the specs look pretty awesome, but the 217HP and 147 lb-ft spec is the first e-moto I've seen w/ a higer HP number than torques.

I hope they build it!

https://evnerds.com/design/electric-mot ... y-nesbitt/
problemaddict

BANNER!:
US Pennsylvania

Postby Jaeger » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:53 am

problemaddict wrote:I'd seen some pix of the newest ̶C̶o̶n̶f̶e̶d̶e̶r̶a̶t̶e̶ Curtisss bike...
I hope they build it!https://www.projnet.net/projnet/binKornHome/index.cfm?strKornCob=IndexReportProcessQuickAdd&strKornCobRedirect=BicPublicReportAll&strReportType=AllCont

https://evnerds.com/design/electric-mot ... y-nesbitt/

Heh. That bike has a chubbie.

(And it's girthy!)

--jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 (Seeking New Opportunities)
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Previous

Return to Features & Columns