Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Postby red » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:10 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Do you have JIS screwdrivers? Its quite helpful if you do, but I was able to tear apart the carb bank on my XJ without them. I then replaced everything with stainless allen head bolts. Adds to the cost but if you ever have to take them apart again...
Also, don't overlook the throttle shaft seals between the carbs. You're going to be in there anyway and they will be a source of air leaks and will make tuning impossible if they are hard or leaking.

I don't have any JIS but I do the same as you and replace with allen head bolts. I bought two boxes of them from Fastenal. I didn't go all fancy chrome though, I went with black. If I'm gonna break the bank apart, I might as well do all the nooks and crannies, I don't want to fight leaks and keep tearing them apart.

So far, I have yet to pull carbs from a bike that is easier than my XJ. Those downdraft carbs were cake to install/remove.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby xtian » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:13 am

I admire you.
this thread exposes why i'd rather spend 12 hours a day working to make enough money to buy a reliable bike, it seems so much easier than to endure the endless frustration of fixing everything that might and will go wrong and then go incredibly wronger after I try to fix it.
I'm not really from around here.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Postby Jaeger » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:44 am

xtian wrote:I admire you.
this thread exposes why i'd rather spend 12 hours a day working to make enough money to buy a reliable bike, it seems so much easier than to endure the endless frustration of fixing everything that might and will go wrong and then go incredibly wronger after I try to fix it.

HAHAHAH Right?!

I'm currently reaping my foolishness trying to sell Athena. More than a decade of my shade-tree tinkering has left her scarred and non-functioning, and I finally gave up and bought a new bike. :P

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 (Seeking New Opportunities)
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby red » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:38 am

Jaeger wrote:
xtian wrote:I admire you.

HAHAHAH Right?!

I'm currently reaping my foolishness trying to sell Athena. More than a decade of my shade-tree tinkering has left her scarred and non-functioning, and I finally gave up and bought a new bike. :P

--Jaeger

I could fit a newer bike in my budget but right now, I'm focused on paying off debt as best as I can. One day in the future when we're back to being a two-income house, I'll be on the market. Although I'll probably be shopping for a Ural, so that whole new=reliable thing will go right down the drain. I still have an obsession with the MTS620 and DR650, so who knows what "new" bike I'll end up with. Either way, I want the CBR to be in the best shape I can. I want it to cart my ass to DoOM 2020.

Also, since my available ride time will be limited, I don't want to pay for something I'm not using on a regular basis. Years of being broke has made me a cheap ass to my core.

Not having a deadline to get the CBR running is helpful in reducing the stress. I like working on things but the frustration comes from not having the time, or having time at the wrong time of day. Like not being able to test start because it would wake up the kiddos. Once I get the o-rings sourced and the petcock on hand, I'm going to take a day or two
off work and spend quality time wrenching.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby xtian » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:37 pm

absolutely. Since I went freelance, I either have the time for a hobby but no income, or work and income but no free time.
I'm not really from around here.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:44 am

I'm right with ya man. Endlessly wrenching on old bikes got me through the post-recession years when I had to sell of my bikes, move 1/2 way across the country looking for work and was still too broke to buy a reliable bike. Stay connected to the machine however and whenever you can, and you'll be better for it.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:01 am

Bigshankhank wrote:I'm right with ya man. Endlessly wrenching on old bikes got me through the post-recession years when I had to sell of my bikes, move 1/2 way across the country looking for work and was still too broke to buy a reliable bike. Stay connected to the machine however and whenever you can, and you'll be better for it.

To me, it's always better to have something to wrench on than a motorcycle shaped hole in the garage.

I have a new plan for the tank paint. I may move away from the sticker bomb plan and have a friend do a custom paint job. Either way, it will be one of a kind.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Previous

Return to Features & Columns