RAGNARöK 2020!!!

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.

Re: RAGNARöK 2020!!!

Postby Jaeger » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:26 pm

0l4fderstout wrote:Cool! I can get too fat to ride!

When Rench asks if you want to go get Chicago pizza, the answer is "yes."

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby 0l4fderstout » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:10 am

Looking at the map it looks like there's some good riding between Grant and Pike's Peak.
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby Jaeger » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:36 am

0l4fderstout wrote:Looking at the map it looks like there's some good riding between Grant and Pike's Peak.

The riding out there really is spectacular, and the cops aren't nearly as batshit gung-ho as they are around here.

Riding Pike's Peak was fun, but bump-starting RV's SV at the top SUUUUUUCKED.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby 0l4fderstout » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:06 pm

Yeah I was up there about a week after severe altitude sickness. I took everything slow. No more flying to colorado.
0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

BANNER!:
US Michigan

Postby Rench » Wed May 22, 2019 12:27 pm

I don't remember push starting RVs bike, probably cause I was in fetal position trying not to puke in the lowest spot I could find on top. I've never gotten altitude sickness before, I'd like to avoid it in the future.

That being said, we're about 13 months out now, and I'd very much like to do this again, cause it's been fucking jangleplatz the last few times. Do we have the numbers to rent an entire campground again? Do we have anyone on the ground out there that knows of any appropriate venues? Bueller...?

-Rench
"I'm not a schemer..."

"Do you know why it's illegal to put gasoline in a glass container?" - Piccinni
Rench
the Harm in Harmony

BANNER!:
US Chicago

Postby Skkot » Thu May 23, 2019 11:45 am

Laid back and chill ownership + BBQ is a good start. The owner guy in 2015 turned out to be an asshole. I expect there would be good places to ride while based at Grant, but how congested would it be?
2004 R1150 GS PKM + 2002 R1150R Sidecarmachine
You can wipe your ass and blow your nose with the same wad of tissue, but blow your nose first.
Skkot
The pain maker go awayer!

BANNER!:
US Maryland

Postby Jaeger » Thu May 23, 2019 2:51 pm

Rench wrote:I don't remember push starting RVs bike, probably cause I was in fetal position trying not to puke in the lowest spot I could find on top. I've never gotten altitude sickness before, I'd like to avoid it in the future.

Yeah. At the time I'd already been thinking "Gosh, this altitude thing isn't too bad! I'm a total lowlander,* but I can hack it!"

Then we had to run at the top of Pike's Peak. That put an end to my delusion. I felt like I was trying to breathe through a coffee filter.

I'm fairly sure the only reason I didn't get sick was the mass consumption of Gatorade. I drank two bigguns every time we stopped for gas.

*For reference, I grew up at about 10' above sea level, but now live at a lofty 360'. Fourteen fucking thousand? I like my oxygen, thankyouverymuch.

--Jaeger

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Postby DerGolgo » Thu May 23, 2019 3:21 pm

So just as I see this here thread, this video starts on my youtube playlist.
phpBB [media]
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby red » Thu May 23, 2019 5:02 pm

How many Rags have there been and I'm just now posting this!!!

phpBB [media]
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Merlyn » Fri May 24, 2019 6:46 am

I'm in.

I'm also back in Denver, so I can and will help out as needed on setup/groundwork.

:: grin :: And if you goofballs want to get completely nuts on transport, I have an active CDL. How many bikes can you squeeze into a 53' box trailer? You rent it (Penske or Ryder). I'll drive it back to the east coast and fly home.

Merlyn
- 2007 FXD/Dyna SuperGlide - Black Betty
- 1986 Intruder 700 - Work in Progress

Some days you can look to your left as you ride and see your Valkyrie- pacing you and waiting for her moment...
Days like that, the only appropriate reaction is to call out "Let's dance, beautiful!" and then twist the throttle to it's stop.

Remember, folks- Your vote means fuck-all. If voting could actually change anything it would have been outlawed long ago.
The only votes that mean anything in this day and age are made from rooftops.
Merlyn
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby jr_bear » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:04 am

My daughter in law suggested this place; https://cuttysresort.net/
keep your gun and clothes were you can find them in the dark
jr_bear
Maltov Rattlecan

Postby thack » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:04 am

i've been there, and it's a hoot, but someone would need to call them and be sure that they're okay with a gathering of bikes - i met the family there - they were in a car and i was on a bike - and they were very very wary about my 'noisy dirtbike' hooning around in their space.

as most of you know, my 'noisy dirtbike' is a BMW R1150R, which i can't even hear over bear's snoring. and i haven't intentionally hooned anything in 20 years.

but that said, it's a great resort that's totally stuck in the 60s with pancake breakfast and karaoke and other fun stuff.
thack
Magnum Jihad

Postby mtne » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:24 am

Jaeger wrote:
Riding Pike's Peak was fun, but bump-starting RV's SV at the top SUUUUUUCKED.

--Jaeger

I keep hearing about this and I just don't understand. Did no one think to just coast it down? Ya know.... from the top....... a little dead stick action is good practice.
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
07' KTM 950 SE
08' Husky TE610 - Everything a KLR wants to be...
Yeah I'm a Bike Slut in remission
SmugMug pictures here, Save $5 when you join SmugMug by using this coupon zu0heHHhx9sjM
http://www.bikeshareworld.com
mtne
Holy DAG Master

Postby boz » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:24 am

I'll throw another Noreasterner's hat in the ring. No idea how I'd get out there or what bike I'd run but I'd love to ride in the mountains. I've only ridden east coast USA and central Chile.
| | || ||
Earn your beer.
Aught aught Zrex Zelda.
boz
El Asbestos Pajamas

BANNER!:
US Maryland

Postby AZRider » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:22 pm

Suzanne and I are definitely planning on going. We're coming from the other side this time, though.

If anyone wants to come to California after Rag, you are welcome at our house. Flights from San Diego are sometimes cheaper than from LAX, and the airport here doesn't suck. If we're still living in the condo, we don't have much room for extra bikes, but we will figure out something.

For those from the East who asked about tires: If you can get to Denver on the tires you have, get fresh tires installed there. The plains will totally square off your tires, so you will want round tires for riding in the mountains anyway. Last time, Timmy had access to tire change equipment at his work, so I got tires sent to him. Rench planned the same thing but with less lead time because he had to switch bikes on the day he left for Rag, and he had to get his tires sent to the base camp and change them by hand.

As for site, I'm game for camping, but it wouldn't bother me one bit if you local folks could find a place like the one from Rag2015 with a bunkhouse and or cabins. Also, a place that we can rent the entire facility and not worry about other people complaining about loud mufflers and late night shenanigans would be good.
"The hell with the zombie apocalypse, the douchebag apocalypse is upon us and their numbers are growing."-Mean Chuck
"Don't sweat the buckshot." - Buttzilla
"--Really.. I AM a nice guy by preference. I do, however, have other options." - Merlyn
AZRider
"I said THREE motorcycles worth of Fuck You!"

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Previous

Return to Rants & Rides