ATHENA NEEDS A NEW HOME

Sell stuff, buy stuff, look at stuff, read stuff. The UTMC is not responsible for any stuff that happens or don't happen here eh.

ATHENA NEEDS A NEW HOME

Postby Jaeger » Fri May 03, 2019 10:29 am

It pains me to post this, but I’m putting it here first in the hope that one of you guys will pick her up and give her a new home:

2003 Triumph Speedmaster – “Athena” (a.k.a. “The Clown Bike”)

Tech Specs:
Odometer: 23,400 miles

Tires: Good (~70%?)

Engine: 904 WiseCo Big Bore (professionally installed)
“Airboxectomy” with K&N Pods
Thrush “Cherrybomb” mufflers

Clutch: New

Suspension: upgraded progressive front fork springs (she’ll corner better than you think she will)

Also: relocated battery, upgraded steel brake lines, upgraded shifter linkage, “cat eye” rear LED turn signals, CRG bar-end mirrors, integrated heated grips, saddlebag brackets,

The Good:
Anybody who’s ridden Athena at DOOM or elsewhere knows she's just a hoot to ride if you’re into feet-forward cruisers and screaming around like a lunatic. The engine is significantly upgraded and with the new clutch I finally fixed that slight slippage when whacking it from low revs, which was only ever really an issue when riding her like an asshole (which I did whenever humanly possible).

She’s surprisingly agile too. Anybody who’s ridden with me will attest that she’ll go around corners faster than you’d think a cruiser like that should – certainly as fast as I’d ever be comfortable doing it on the street. Twin disks up front provide lots of “woah!”.

The Bad:
While installing a much-needed new clutch (which works beautifully now, incidentally), we had issues with the (very badly designed) gas-vent tube. The tube broke, we patched it with high-temp hose, but something’s not right and she’s blowing oil out of the crankcase breather. This may be an easy fix or not, but it’s beyond my mechanical capacity and I haven’t the time, money, patience, or space right now. She ran strong when last parked (other than spewing oil as described above), but has been sitting for over a year now and refuses to start (though I haven't tried that hard). I suspect the carburetors are filthy. She was filled with Sta-Bil when parked in garage but I still don’t trust the gas.

Lots of pix: https://photos.app.goo.gl/ezNviAsXQNJDBG7S9

KBB is $3k in good condition, which she ain’t. I’m asking $1,500 OBO, and I’ll be really flexible on price for Ootmics who’ll give her a good home where I can visit occasionally (and have right of first refusal if you ever need to sell).

I’m posting this here first before I turn to the indignity of Craigslist, etc. If I could I'd put her in a magic box and keep until I had time to fix, but right now she's just taking up valuable space that needs to be housing the kids' bicycles. :shock:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.


<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 (Seeking New Opportunities)
User avatar
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple
 
Posts: 9956
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:24 am
Location: NoVA
BANNER!:
US Virginia

Re: ATHENA NEEDS A NEW HOME

Postby red » Fri May 03, 2019 11:10 am

Hang the bicycles from the walls or ceiling!
User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:47 am
Location: Indy
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Re: ATHENA NEEDS A NEW HOME

Postby DerGolgo » Fri May 03, 2019 11:22 am

red wrote:Hang the bicycles from the walls or ceiling!


Indeed! You really should think of all the dimensions of your dwelling before making major decisions like this!

phpBB [media]
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
User avatar
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist
 
Posts: 12089
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:34 am
Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Re: ATHENA NEEDS A NEW HOME

Postby Tabbootyshaker » Fri May 03, 2019 1:22 pm

Sell the kids. You can throw in their bicycles to sweeten the deal. :D :evil: :D
User avatar
Tabbootyshaker
El Asbestos Pajamas
 
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:41 pm
Location: liquor sto'

Re: ATHENA NEEDS A NEW HOME

Postby Bigshankhank » Sat May 04, 2019 9:23 am

Pouring one out for my fallen home girl. Find her a good place to shack up Jeager, I have the space but am no longer allowed to take on more projects.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
User avatar
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher
 
Posts: 7450
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:11 am
Location: Deep In The Swamps of South Florida
BANNER!:
US Florida

Re: ATHENA NEEDS A NEW HOME

Postby red » Tue May 07, 2019 5:36 pm

If I was closer you could stash her in my garage. I say find a way to keep her. Any of the locals willing to store her for you?
User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:47 am
Location: Indy
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Re: ATHENA NEEDS A NEW HOME

Postby Jaeger » Wed May 08, 2019 5:38 am

red wrote:If I was closer you could stash her in my garage. I say find a way to keep her. Any of the locals willing to store her for you?


Well, I'd also like the dollars to use to fix up Lilah -- I've concluded that she desperately needs a suspension upgrade, as well as some work on the saddle. (Never mind the fact that I'm currently under employed and could use the dollars in general.)

That, and I recognize that I'm too goddamn attached to the bike. I have a new one that needs TLC, and I ought not hang on to several hundred pounds of steel, even if it's in someone else's garage.

That said, if I can't get a decent deal on her I may well run her up to Chuck for indefinite storage/repair/whatever. I just can't bear the thought of her being scavenged for parts.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.


<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
2003 Triumph Speedmaster 904 (Seeking New Opportunities)
User avatar
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple
 
Posts: 9956
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:24 am
Location: NoVA
BANNER!:
US Virginia

Re: ATHENA NEEDS A NEW HOME

Postby red » Wed May 08, 2019 12:27 pm

Jaeger wrote:
red wrote:If I was closer you could stash her in my garage. I say find a way to keep her. Any of the locals willing to store her for you?


Well, I'd also like the dollars to use to fix up Lilah -- I've concluded that she desperately needs a suspension upgrade, as well as some work on the saddle. (Never mind the fact that I'm currently under employed and could use the dollars in general.)

That, and I recognize that I'm too goddamn attached to the bike. I have a new one that needs TLC, and I ought not hang on to several hundred pounds of steel, even if it's in someone else's garage.

That said, if I can't get a decent deal on her I may well run her up to Chuck for indefinite storage/repair/whatever. I just can't bear the thought of her being scavenged for parts.

--Jaeger


I do understand the need for dollars.

Maybe it is best to part with her. Let someone else love her and take her on adventures.
User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
 
Posts: 2557
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2004 1:47 am
Location: Indy
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Re: ATHENA NEEDS A NEW HOME

Postby Aggroton » Fri May 10, 2019 11:29 am

Image
thats a sweet bike.
User avatar
Aggroton
Chuck Asap
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:35 am
Location: Wrenchtown
BANNER!:
Jamaica

Re: ATHENA NEEDS A NEW HOME

Postby Aggroton » Fri May 10, 2019 11:31 am

Id be happy to steward her and even nurse her back to her burly and healthy loud ass self.
However, I too am broke. I will pass the good word around to some buddies looking for a ride.
thats a sweet bike.
User avatar
Aggroton
Chuck Asap
 
Posts: 1482
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:35 am
Location: Wrenchtown
BANNER!:
Jamaica


Return to Stuff for Sale

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests