Doom Patrol!

Art, Music, Literature and other non-yogurty cultured things.

Doom Patrol!

Postby red » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:06 am

Anyone else watching it? Absolutely amazing.

phpBB [media]
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Re: Doom Patrol!

Postby DerGolgo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:40 am

Yeah. I was pleasantly surprised, particularly after "Titans". The latter was a total poc.

This one, though.
For one, it's double-official. A show ain't official until either Mark Sheppard has played some cunning scoundrel-ish character, or Alan Tudyk had way too much fun playing a delightfully fiendish villain.

This one had both. In the first season.
And Brendan Fraser,
who I assume put on some weight for this show specifically. A hero who didn't even have a six-pack before loosing his old body entirely, I think they call it "dad gut". AKA a fairly unremarkable physique that's not unrealistic bullshit. You know how Hugh Jackman got Wolverine's muscles so sharp and well-defined? By dehydrating himself for a dangerous period of time before filming. A hero who doesn't look like something carved out of marble, that's pretty daring, in a way.

I was delighted by just what weird places this show went.

Group therapy. The rat that seeks revenge for its dead partner. Animal Vegetable Mineral Man. And that ain't evenhalf of it.

I recommend it. Highly.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby red » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:24 am

DerGolgo wrote:Yeah. I was pleasantly surprised, particularly after "Titans". The latter was a total poc.

This one, though.
For one, it's double-official. A show ain't official until either Mark Sheppard has played some cunning scoundrel-ish character, or Alan Tudyk had way too much fun playing a delightfully fiendish villain.

This one had both. In the first season.
And Brendan Fraser,
who I assume put on some weight for this show specifically. A hero who didn't even have a six-pack before loosing his old body entirely, I think they call it "dad gut". AKA a fairly unremarkable physique that's not unrealistic bullshit. You know how Hugh Jackman got Wolverine's muscles so sharp and well-defined? By dehydrating himself for a dangerous period of time before filming. A hero who doesn't look like something carved out of marble, that's pretty daring, in a way.

I was delighted by just what weird places this show went.

Group therapy. The rat that seeks revenge for its dead partner. Animal Vegetable Mineral Man. And that ain't evenhalf of it.

I recommend it. Highly.

I'm on halfway through "Jane Patrol" and have loved every episode. My wife claims it's so bizarre she can barely keep up. Particularly with Danny the Street. Alan Tudyk does an amazing job as does the rest of the cast.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby DerGolgo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:42 am

red wrote:I'm on halfway through "Jane Patrol" and have loved every episode. My wife claims it's so bizarre she can barely keep up. Particularly with Danny the Street.

Oh fuck. There's just so much batshit in there, I actually forgot about Danny there for a bit.

Now that "The Tic" and "Happy!" have both been cancelled, let's hope DP picks up the slack, is kept running for many seasons. Specifically, for exactly as many seasons as the writers can keep it weird. Which I hope is a number greater than one.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby red » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:48 am

DerGolgo wrote:
red wrote:I'm on halfway through "Jane Patrol" and have loved every episode. My wife claims it's so bizarre she can barely keep up. Particularly with Danny the Street.

Oh fuck. There's just so much batshit in there, I actually forgot about Danny there for a bit.

Now that "The Tic" and "Happy!" have both been cancelled, let's hope DP picks up the slack, is kept running for many seasons. Specifically, for exactly as many seasons as the writers can keep it weird. Which I hope is a number greater than one.

Shit. I didn't know The Tick got cancelled. That's a shame, season 2 was great and was just hyping it up to a co-worker a few minutes ago. I was going to watch Swamp Thing but since DC cancelled it already, I'm not going to bother starting it.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby DerGolgo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:41 pm

red wrote:
Shit. I didn't know The Tick got cancelled. That's a shame, season 2 was great and was just hyping it up to a co-worker a few minutes ago. I was going to watch Swamp Thing but since DC cancelled it already, I'm not going to bother starting it.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news.
What is it with networks shitcanning good shows, but sticking to shit that's outright painful to watch?

Yeah, season 2 of The Tick was brilliant, better than season 1. That show could have gone places.
Or Happy!. Sure, the 2nd season wasn't quite as good as the first, not having that sense of urgency as a plot motor. But it sure was pretty dang entertaining.

Maybe the weird, the freaky, the oddball stuff just scares TV execs, or streaming execs, too much. They will give it a chance to prove itself, but when the weird shit does prove itself, they figure they have done all they should and it's fine to get rid of it now.

I had been hoping that the new media landscape, with gourmet streaming services replacing one-size-fits-all network TV, might change things. Somehow, not even improving ratings like I recall reading the 2nd season of The Tick got are not enough to keep a show running. Feck.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Return to Effete Snobbery