JAEGERS IN UK

Planning a gathering? Post the details here!

JAEGERS IN UK

Postby Jaeger » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:22 am

I already pinged Xtian and Golgo -- our only two remaining Eurotrash Ootmics, insofar as I know -- and they can't make it, but if there's anybody else...

Mustardseed, the Jaegerkinder and I are heading to the UK tomorrow night. We're spending a couple of days in Scotland and then wandering our way south to London. We have a pretty full schedule, but if there's a chance I get to meet one of our far-flung brethren I'll do what i can to meet up. :)

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.

<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

BANNER!:
US Virginia

Re: JAEGERS IN UK

Postby DerGolgo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:41 am

I want to recommend a nice little restaurant in Linlithgow, West Lothian, Scotland, but I don't think it still exists. Haven't been yon in 18 years. Feck.

Stuff I still recommend:

- Edinburgh. Go visit the castle, take some time, then take a stroll down the Royal Mile. Don't buy souvenirs there, it's the tourist-trap area. But there's some neat stuff there. There used to be an OG camera-obscura, in operation since that was the bleeding edge of technology in the 19th century.

- Scott Monument. The green park under the picturesque cliff-face with the castle on top, there's something looks like a cathedral-spire sans cathedral. It's the monument to Sir Walter Scott. Used to be, you could climb to the top, and on your way down, you could collect a certificate that you had climbed up. The staircase is mildly claustrophobigc (I had to go sideways, my shoulders wouldn't fit), but the view from the top is amazing

- if you visit the monument, you will be in immediate proximity to Princess Street, the fancy shopping area of Edinburgh. Behind it is the "New Town", a pre-planned 19th century development. This area is not just tourist traps. Or used to be. It's where the chase scene at the beginning of Trainspotting began.

- Stirling. Visit bloody Stirling. Stirling Castle is amazing, in far too many ways, and not far from it is the Wallace Monument. 19th century, and from the top, you can see the important battlefields like that of the Battle Of Stirling Bridge. Last time I went up there, I found that someone had scratched his name into the stone, and a date from the 19th century.
At the time, someone had put up a particularly hideous statue of "Braveheart" next to the parking lot, and they had to put up a 6 foot chain-link fence around it, to protect it from the well deserved vandalism. If you go, please report whether that pos is still there.

- Food. I have not tried it, but I desperately want to try the deep-fried Mars bar. Just because.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby red » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:56 pm

Ping Johnny D on farcebook!
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby xtian » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:34 am

Sorry, as you can probably see up to sickness from my constant info-mercials on facebook, I am just going back and forth in the other direction these weeks, to the country of pork rillette and brie cheese.
Have fun !
I'm not really from around here.
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...

Return to UTMC Events: Past, Present, Future