Need the Wisdom of the Disorganization

The place to come if you've been with us for years or it's your first time here. General yakking about anything motorcycle related. Think of it as the internet coffeehouse for the UTMC.

Re: Need the Wisdom of the Disorganization

Postby Bigshankhank » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:56 am

Jaeger wrote:I have a new handlebar on the way for Lilah that's fairly similar -- Trask V-Line. Hoping it'll help un-fuck my shoulders (along with the new saddle). :D

--Jaeger

Yeah, the bars that were on it weren't bad per se, but they put my hands above my shoulders and would cause my hands to tingle after a short while. Plus someone had narrowed them and the weld in the center looked like shit.
These new bars are a bit lower and narrower still, and a short ride around my neighborhood leads me to believe they are a good upgrade.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:22 pm

Onward and upward with the front brake project. As noted previously, I finally sourced a matching fork slider and caliper, and ordered caliper and master cylinder rebuild kits plus new fork seals. First order of business however was to remove the fender mounts since a proper bobber doesn't need them. I gotta say I bought a mini portable band saw and it has proven to be super useful. That plus a set of 40 grit and 80 grit sanding discs on my angle grinder made short work of this.
Chucked it up in a vice, and yes I know I should never clamp the vice down on the tube, but as it so happens the tube is badly bent (this came from a bike salvage place on eBay) and I don't need it anyway, so I'm good.

The non-brake side fender mount was easy.

The brake side fender mount is a little trickier, as the caliper mount "extends" up to the fender lug so it'll need a little shaping.

Both fender lugs removed, and feeling lighter already.

Now for the really delicate part, grinding the remains down smooth without over-grinding and damaging the slider itself. I started with a 40 grit wheel which cut the aluminum waaaay faster than I expected so I changed to the 80 grit but that was way too slow, so I put the 40 back on and had to ease up on the pressure and be super gentle.

After the heavy sanding was done, I put the 80 grit wheel back on and smoothed it all down. Behold, the finished product!

I could probably smooth this down even further with some hand sanding with higher and higher grit paper, but I am not trying to make a show bike, so I'll roughen up the aluminum/remove any clear coat and give it a coat of flat black and then install post haste. I wouldn't even bother with changing the seal in the other leg but the seals came in pairs and I couldn't sleep at night knowing I had a new seal and fluid in one fork and not both. All told this was probably an hour's worth of work, and I am happy with how it came out.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:01 pm

Nice! Definitely leave it rough, adds to the overall theme.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:44 am

Final product on the shaved fork leg, all that’s left is to install it. I went ahead and rebuilt the caliper, next up is the master cylinder, add a disc rotor and some braided lines.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Previous

Return to Rants & Rides