Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse

Art, Music, Literature and other non-yogurty cultured things.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse

Postby red » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:18 am

Have you seen it? If not, borrow your Mama's Netflix account and watch it. Even if you don't like superheros.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Re: Spider-Man: Into the Spider-verse

Postby DerGolgo » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:58 am

I had been skeptical, but I shall give it a watch. Thanks for the recommendation!
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Location: It's bad enough I gotta live here, don't make me say it, too ...
BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby red » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:03 am

DerGolgo wrote:I had been skeptical, but I shall give it a watch. Thanks for the recommendation!

It's a great new take (new to me) on Spider-Man. I hope they make more moves (live action or animated).
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:24 am

I can vouch, it is fantastic. Watched it a few weeks ago, puts even the Holland Spiderman films to shame for its quality and storytelling.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:25 am

IIRC this was made by the original directors of the Han Solo film, after they were fired from that project. Kind of makes you wonder if Solo would have been any good if they had finished it.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.
Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby red » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:42 am

Bigshankhank wrote:I can vouch, it is fantastic. Watched it a few weeks ago, puts even the Holland Spiderman films to shame for its quality and storytelling.

The first movies with Toby M, were "ok", only in the fact that they were the only Spider-Man movies. I really liked the second actor and thought he really fit the role
of Spider-Man, since he has historically been kind of a smart-ass. Besides Civil War and Infinity War, I haven't seen any of the new Spider-Man movies but the new
kid seems ok.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby DerGolgo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:05 am

red wrote:The first movies with Toby M, were "ok", only in the fact that they were the only Spider-Man movies.

Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2 were pretty good, I believe, and not just because there were no alternatives. Not even just because of the novelty value of seeing superheros with fully photorealistic effects.
They had their weaknesses, but overall, did a pretty good job of bringing Spider-Man's origins and conflicts across.
Most of it is pretty solid filmmaking. The choice of villains, well. Putting an actor like Willem Dafoe behind a full-face mask, that was... a choice.
Other stuff. How Peter turns into Spidey, first encounters his powers, that fight scene in the school, or when he tries to control his web. Loved that.
That scene from Spider-Man 2, on the train?
Yes, pure, 100 proof pathos. But fuck, it works.

I found the movies pretty engaging, entertaining, and satisfying. I had been reading Spider-Man comics for over a decade by the time that first film came out, was familiar with his various print-incarnations. I actually was angry they had changed the webs from something he had MacGuyvered himself to something his body made. Until I eventually figured out: Someone smart enough to develop a super-material like that web, capable enough to manufacture it by the ton and putting the launch-mechanism into something as small as a wristwatch... would most definitely NOT be a broke ass freelance photographer. Someone like that would either run his own company, or would have sold that technology to somebody for many millions.
Of course, I brag about being familiar with his various print incarnations, but I don't know whether that was maybe already in the comics before. I don't recall it, I only remember him fiddling with his web-launchers, but correct me if I'm mistaken.

But that's the thing. Altering the backstory a bit to make it work as a movie is generally accepted, if grudgingly. This change, meanwhile, filled a massive plothole from the comics.
And as much as I had initially been geekraged by that - I enjoyed that first movie tremendously, and the sequel managed to keep up (which was still a bit of a novelty back then, wasn't it).

J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson. Fucking hell. Spot on. Perfection. They even both begin their names with a J as an initial!

I watched the first of the Andrew Garfield movies and was like... why? Why even bother?
Of course, I know why Sony bothered, but that's still what came to mind.

As for Spidey's entry into the MCU. I would have loved it if they had made it so that the new, more youth-appeal Spiderman was actually Peter's and Mary Jane's kid, coming into his powers. Could have written a nice part for "Dad who disapproves", could have retconned him into the events from Avengers (he was already retired from hero-ing, and during the alien invasion, was busy keeping Queens safe, never made it to Manhattan, which is why nobody saw him).
The idea isn't mine, but that would have gotten me excited for a new Spider-Man movie, even if it was aimed at the youth market as I head the Tom Holland films have been.
Without that. I saw the trailers, I saw him in Infinity Wars and was like "meh...".
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:27 am

I was about to say, there are few actors who so perfectly personify the print character that they are portraying. Tony Hopkins as Hannibal Lector is one. J.K. Simmons as JJJ is another.

I liked the McGuire films though I never actually saw the 3rd one and I think I'm OK with that. They were fun and engaging and yes I wondered about the "natural" web production but by the time the Garfield era began I thought the wrist mounted slingers were wrong, and also though the same thing re; how had Os-Corp not made billions selling this super-light product with unthinkable tactile strength and thus kept incredibly tight control of the inventory such that Spidey couldn't just walk out of an unlocked broom closet with a couple cases whenever he needs.

Holland is fun as hell to watch, but again I think his supporting characters are what makes the movie. I'll never forget in A:Endgame when he slaps Ned on the face and asks for a distraction and without question just starts shouting that everyone on the bus is going to die. Perhaps in this day and age of school shootings that's not the most kosher way of creating a distraction among schoolchildren but hey, the point was Ned is Ride or Die. Plus Marisa Tomei can scold me at any time, any where for any reason and I'll be a happy man.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby DerGolgo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:47 pm

OI! I had to stop reading that!

Give a spoiler warning if you're not gonna use the spoiler tags, please.
I already know far too much about Endgame. I would have watched that in the theater, except that I'm not go on movie screens, what with being half blind. I have to wait to see that movie when I can on the little screen.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby mtne » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:47 pm

The soundtrack is great, been on heavy rotation with the kid and unlike many of the kids movie soundtracks I don't mind at all.
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
07' KTM 950 SE
08' Husky TE610 - Everything a KLR wants to be...
Yeah I'm a Bike Slut in remission
SmugMug pictures here, Save $5 when you join SmugMug by using this coupon zu0heHHhx9sjM
http://www.bikeshareworld.com
mtne
Holy DAG Master

Postby Bigshankhank » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:02 pm

DerGolgo wrote:OI! I had to stop reading that!

Give a spoiler warning if you're not gonna use the spoiler tags, please.
I already know far too much about Endgame. I would have watched that in the theater, except that I'm not go on movie screens, what with being half blind. I have to wait to see that movie when I can on the little screen.

Sorry, it was actually a scene in Infinity War, which has been out for over a year and spoilers are long out of the gate.
-Davros

Bigshankhank

BANNER!:
US Florida

Postby DerGolgo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:06 pm

Bigshankhank wrote: it was actually a scene in Infinity War,

Which I know now that I have dared reading beyond the word "Endgame". Thank you!

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby motorpsycho67 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:11 pm

red wrote: Even if you don't like superheros.

Even if you've never been a superhero or comic book fan?

I'm a bit skeptical (as usual)....
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.
motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Postby red » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:22 pm

motorpsycho67 wrote:
red wrote: Even if you don't like superheros.

Even if you've never been a superhero or comic book fan?

I'm a bit skeptical (as usual)....

Give it a shot.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Mk3 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:18 pm

I was a spider who was bitten by a radioactive pig
"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."
Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.

Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!
BANNER!:
US Illinois

Postby motorpsycho67 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:26 pm

red wrote:Give it a shot.

That's not much of a sales pitch...
'75 Honda CB400F
'82 Kawalski GPz750
etc.
motorpsycho67
Double-dip Diogenes

Postby DerGolgo » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:41 am

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK whoever owns the copyrights for "into the spiderverse".
It's not on Fritzflix, nor on Amazon Primär! FAAAAAAACK!

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Postby red » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Mk3 wrote:I was a spider who was bitten by a radioactive pig

I just washed my hands, that's why they're wet... no other reason.
red

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger

Postby Bo_9 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:56 pm

My crew has declared Spiderverse the absolute best Spidey movie ever.
But Holland is our Spiderman and I hope they have him contacted for a RDJ length run.
When an old man dies a library burns...

"Every accident involving machinery begins with a single defect. Never forget that defect can be between your ears." - E.J. Potter
"I feel like i'm in "my little pony" HELL!!!!" -Goose
"Well, he never ever smiled, but he always seemed pleased."
"Just one bad day..."
Bo_9
Ayatollah of Mayhem

Location: Filthy little worn-out, broken down, see through soul.

Postby jae » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:31 pm

DerGolgo wrote:FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK whoever owns the copyrights for "into the spiderverse".
It's not on Fritzflix, nor on Amazon Primär! FAAAAAAACK!

If you can do VPN netflix, it's available in US region right now...

in fact, I went and watched it at the collective recommendation here, and ended up watching it twice within 24 hours. I also recommend it. Even if you're not big into the comics/multiverse aspect of it, the animation alone was worth it in my opinion.
There, I said it.
http://instagram.com/norrisjc
http://youtube.com/kacivic

Dying old and healthy from boredom is not an achievement.
jae
Magnum Jihad

BANNER!:
US Texas

Postby DerGolgo » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:17 am

jae wrote:If you can do VPN netflix, it's available in US region right now...

I did that in the past, when Smartflix was a thing, but Netflix have gotten ever better at weeding out VPNs. I'm gonna have a look, but I'm not confident. Thanks for the reminder, though!

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

BANNER!:
Jolly Roger Alternative

Return to Effete Snobbery