Update, 2020/12/01
Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details.

SECURITY ADVISORY!
Today, 2020/11/18, suspicions have been expressed that there has been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.
While the facts behind those suspicions have not yet been established, your Administerrerr is treating them as credible. He is looking into this. He will try and beef up security.
Even if you did so only recently:
Please change your password!
Please click here, or use the menu ( button) to navigate to the the User Control Panel, therein to the Profile Tab, and there click Edit Account Settings. You should get it from there on.
For a safe password that will resist brute-force attempts (which we have been subject to in the past), please use upper and lower case letters, AND numerals, AND symbols, and make it as long as you feel feasible. 16 characters seems to be recommended these days.
DO NOT use a password you also use elsewhere.
While your Administerrerr tries to keep this place safe. Get real. Security here is mostly by obscurity, that is, no one serious enough to crack us like a rotten egg is likely to even bother. But if one does, you don't want the safety of your email of facebook or whatever to depend on one mostly blind, mostly clueless autodidact who can't work at this more than a few hours at a time, if that much.

If you used a password here that you also used elsewhere, you must set a new password there, also!
A different password, this time. If someone did breach us, the first thing they are likely to do with your login credentials is to try them out elsewhere. Login credentials compromised here are compromised everywhere else, also. If you did reuse a password, but with a different email, your administerrerrerr strongly urges you NOT rely on that different email keeping you safe. This whole thing runs on a database. That means your half-blind administerrerrerr can operate a database. Do you honestly think identity thieves, and those who sell them passwords by the ten-thousands, won't?
If you get an error message about an invalid form, click here.
Show
Every form you can debauch is on a time limit. Even if you feel you've been reasonably quick, some browsers seem to think otherwise.
Recommendation: type your password in something like a text editor or word processor, highlight (making sure not to highlight any leading or trailing spaces), copy, then reload the account settings page, paste, paste, debauch, and be all quick about it. Like Dan said, back in the when. Be like the housefly, and see the events of the world unfold in liquid slowness, or something to that effect.
If you cannot reset a forgotten password, click here.
Show
The "I forgot my password" function has been buggy for a while, I apologize. I will look into that, also, over the next few days.
UPDATE: I have looked into this. I think it should work now, but I can't test it all with my admin accounts. Anyone who tries it, please do let me know whether it works or not.
You yourself, meanwhile, might look into your SPAM folder. I know, I know, but humor me, please.
Also, if you have been around for a bit, try and remember whether the email you entered there was also the email you registered with back in the when. I'm sure the email addresses associated to some user-accounts are still hotmail.
If none of that solves your confound, hit me through the contact form, or grab me via dm on the Facebooks, or if none of that works, speak up in the Midget Circus. I will look out for you there, but I can't guarantee nothing.

Trump

Articles, Commentary and Discussion about politics.
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors - Plato
Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.
Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!

Re: Trump

Post by Mk3 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:26 pm

DerGolgo wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote: Time to nuke the shit out of England.

See, their nuclear ballistic missile submarines, they are stationed in Scotland - like I said, and retreat to a safe distance...
Each boat goes near the surface at least once per day while on patrol, to check for orders on the satellites. If the satellites don't respond, or suchlike, they tune in to the BBC World Service.

So, ask yourself. Theresa May. Basically Trump, with a better toupee and if he had no pe... basically, Trump with a better toupee. She has written those letters. I think the only consideration she might have made for former allies would be "except one missile, and use that to nuke fucking Brussels". Yes, I think the PM would have dropped the f-bomb in such a letter (pun intended).

The American satellites....

There's a good many years of tentacles out there that even Heir Tangelo can't unilaterally fuck up. Cool trick with American missile targeting "blast America = return to sender". They even play Elvis over the BBC or CBC or ARD airwaves while they do it.

At least as of 21 Jan we're past electoral hump day. Unless there's another Clinton campaign......FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...

FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...FML...

"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:19 am

Mk3 wrote:The American satellites....
Wish it were so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_(satellite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Some Terminator editing Wikipedia wrote:Skynet is a family of military communications satellites, now operated by Astrium Services on behalf of the UK Ministry of Defence, which provide strategic communication services to the three branches of the British Armed Forces and to NATO forces engaged on coalition tasks.
They call it Skynet, and they privatized operation!

So there's a good chance that, even if it doesn't gain sentience and decides to wipe us out, some asshole trying to "streamline" something and make it "dynamic", to be all "ambitious" and all, will mute them sats for a few days (could fix it within minutes, of course, but wouldn't dare get any other department involved, as that'd weaken them in the office politics).
Cue BBC World Service having to shut down for a few hours because of budget cuts...
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Mk3
Captain Sensible, Space Command.
Location: The people's republic of Illinois Welcome comrade, join the party!

Post by Mk3 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:41 pm

All made in Taiwan
"...when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES "!

"UTMC, it's an international disorganization of racers, aficionados, mechanics, lunatics, and scumbags. It's like an online motorcycle Mos Eisley."

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:34 pm

Goddamnit. Mattis quit. The adults have all left the White House. This will be interesting in the sense of being cursed.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:16 pm

Aside from the Shutdown and the fucking chaos associated therewith... oh goodness, isn't this interesting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... 1e25fc555d" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Max Fucking Boot @ WaPo wrote:We interrupt the breathless coverage of President Trump’s deceptive and unconvincing Oval Office address on the border wall to bring you some genuinely big news: The collusion case against the president’s campaign, already strong, is getting even stronger.

Attorneys for Paul Manafort, Trump’s former campaign chairman, inadvertently included a big reveal in a court filing on Tuesday through their clumsy failure to properly redact key portions. They admitted that during the 2016 campaign Manafort and his longtime associate Konstantin Kilimnik, who the FBI has said has ties to Russian intelligence, discussed a peace plan for Ukraine and that Manafort also shared with him political polling data.

But the even more significant part of the Tuesday revelations concerns the polling data that Manafort allegedly shared with Kilimnik. Why would an individual with ties to Russian intelligence need polling data on the U.S. election? There is only on reason I can think of: to help direct the covert social-media propaganda campaign that Russian intelligence was running on Trump’s behalf. The Russians reached 126 million people via Facebook alone and millions more on other social-media platforms. Combined with Russia’s theft and strategically timed release of Democratic Party emails, this most likely swung an exceedingly close election — decided by fewer than 80,000 votes in three states — to Trump.

One of the central mysteries about the Russian campaign is how the Kremlin could have been so skillful in targeting American voters, focusing especially on African Americans, Bernie Sanders supporters and other groups who might otherwise have been expected to vote for Hillary Clinton. When political campaigns run advertising, they typically rely on detailed voter data to guide their efforts. Did the Kremlin do its own polling? It didn’t have to, if Manafort was providing the Russians with poll numbers.

If this is what it appears to be, it is the biggest scandal in American history — an assault on the very foundations of our democracy in which the president’s own campaign is deeply complicit. There is no longer any question whether collusion occurred. The only questions that remain are: What did the president know? And when did he know it?
I learned a new acronym today: ITMFA.

I like it.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:57 am

Wow. Just wow.
WaPo wrote:Rudolph W. Giuliani claimed Wednesday night that he “never said there was no collusion” between President Trump’s campaign and Russia leading up to the 2016 presidential election.

In a remarkable, at times contentious, interview with CNN’s Chris Cuomo, the president’s lawyer was accused of contradicting his own past statements about collusion as well as what Trump and his supporters have repeatedly asserted. On Twitter, Trump has used the phrase “no collusion” dozens of times, and a number of those instances were direct denials that his campaign was involved with the Russian government.

Giuliani’s shocking declarations — several of which Cuomo called out as being false — quickly sent the Internet into a tailspin as many wondered what could have prompted the former New York mayor to suddenly change course.
[media]https://youtu.be/gPIx66OOi0s[/media]

Guliani is clearly a few cards short of a full deck. Watch the above -- you only need watch the first 30 seconds, that's enough to get the point.

Here's the link to WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ign-russia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:12 am

This shutdown finally is hitting home. The federally managed union longshoremen at the Port of Miami are striking, locking up a considerable amount of raw construction materials much of which has been paid for by and was to be shipped to my current project but now is locked in limbo.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Aggroton
Chuck Asap

Post by Aggroton » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:57 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:This shutdown finally is hitting home. The federally managed union longshoremen at the Port of Miami are striking, locking up a considerable amount of raw construction materials much of which has been paid for by and was to be shipped to my current project but now is locked in limbo.

Hopefully this will at the least create some working class solidarity.
thats a sweet bike.

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:26 am

Aggroton wrote:
Hopefully this will at the least create some working class solidarity.
I fucking wish. What I could with an organized and skilled workforce...
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:18 am

It's good that I've gone numb or this would really offend me:
WaPo wrote:Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross on Thursday said he doesn’t understand why federal workers are visiting food banks during the partial government shutdown, saying they should instead seek low-interest loans from banks and credit unions to supplement their lost wages.

“I know they are, and I don’t really quite understand why,” Ross said on CNBC when asked about federal workers going to food banks. Ross is a billionaire and a longtime friend of President Trump.

“The idea that it’s paycheck or zero is not a really valid idea,” he said. “There’s no reason why some institution wouldn’t be willing to lend.”

Ross leads one of the agencies that is directly affected by the shutdown that began Dec. 22, and many of his employees haven’t been paid for weeks.

“It’s kind of disappointing that the air traffic controllers are calling in sick in pretty large number,” Ross said. ...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... food-banks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Someone tell me again how Trump and his cronies "understand the needs of the people" and are looking out for their constituents?

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:12 pm

...and this is where we've come to.
WaPo wrote: Why is Mitch McConnell blocking election security bills? Good question.

As President Trump’s own FBI director warns that Russians are planning to try to undermine American democracy in the next presidential election, Republican lawmakers led by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) are blocking bills aimed at blocking foreign hackers from states’ voting systems.

Why? Republicans have policy objections to the legislation, but it seems clear that politics is at the forefront of McConnell’s decision-making. Specifically, the politics of pleasing Trump.

Trump is so sensitive to findings that Russians tried to help him win in 2016 that a Cabinet secretary was warned against briefing him on it. He’s repeatedly sided with Russian President Vladimir Putin over his own intelligence community about whether Russians interfered. He’s said he might accept foreign help in his 2020 reelection. And last month, he made light of it all when he mock-scolded Putin in front of cameras. “Don’t meddle in the election,” he said, waving a finger and wearing a smile.

That puts McConnell in a tough spot: Pass legislation, which election security experts say is needed, and risk sparking the president’s ire, or block the legislation — and risk increased Russia election interference and public ridicule.

McConnell has decided to stand by Trump. Purely politically speaking, it makes sense. Trump has the authority to make or break any other legislation McConnell might want passed before his own reelection campaign next year in a Trump-friendly state.

And then Trump said something that underscored how closely intertwined are bipartisan concerns about Russian election interference with his own touchiness that his 2016 win wouldn’t have happened without Russia:

"Mitch McConnell is a man that knows less about Russia and Russian influence than even Donald Trump, and I know nothing,” he said.

Meaning: I didn’t know Russia was going to interfere in 2016, and neither did McConnell. So because we had nothing to do with it, there should be no reason to pass legislation trying to stop them from doing it again.

The problem with all this is that Trump’s own top intelligence officials say Russia is definitely trying to interfere in 2020 like it did in 2016. “The Russians are absolutely intent on trying to interfere with our elections,” FBI Director Christopher A. Wray testified to the Senate last week. ...
WaPo (specifically Dana Milbank) is absolutely right: McConnell is an asset to the Russians whether they're paying him or not. He's more concerned about partisan politics than protecting voting. That should be horrifying to any American.

FULL STORY HERE: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... d-question" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:11 am

The Washington National Cathedral wrote:Have We No Decency? A Response to President Trump
The escalation of racialized rhetoric from the President of the United States has evoked responses from all sides of the political spectrum. On one side, African American leaders have led the way in rightfully expressing outrage. On the other, those aligned with the President seek to downplay the racial overtones of his attacks, or remain silent.

As faith leaders who serve at Washington National Cathedral ¬– the sacred space where America gathers at moments of national significance – we feel compelled to ask: After two years of President Trump’s words and actions, when will Americans have enough? ...
"You know you're in deep shit when a nun calls you a motherfucker." --Ron Barbera (R.I.P., Boss)

https://cathedral.org/have-we-no-decenc ... trump.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:29 am

So the radio just announced that the INF is finally officially completely and utterly dead.
Recall, Orange Thunder™ had decided to withdraw from that treaty because Russia "may" have been breaking it.

I'm surprised that something negotiated by St. Reagan would be allowed to die like that.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... rol-to-end" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For theguardian.com, Julian Borger in Washington and Dan Sabbagh in London wrote:The new Russian missile is nuclear capable, but not necessarily nuclear armed. They are presently believed to be organised in four battalions, only one of which is west of the Urals, though they are mobile allowing for rapid redeployment.
Did I miss out on massive rounds of inspections, to "trust but verify" that dual-use technology isn't dually used?
I don't see Russia, or rather Putin, as blameless for this treaty breaking up. And it's not like the US is developing two or three new intermediate-range weapons systems...
For theguardian.com, Julian Borger in Washington and Dan Sabbagh in London wrote:Russia’s refusal to scrap the weapon led Donald Trump to withdraw the US from the INF treaty, and the US is now developing at least three types of medium-range missiles, all of them designed for conventional warheads.
Oh. Okay. Spiffing.

Anyways.
Even President Star Wars didn't fuck around with intermediate range nukes. To give credit where it's due: besides his attempts to massively violate the anti-ABM treaty with his Star Wars program, he did contribute to preventing humankind from nuking itself by negotiating the original treaty with Gorbatchev.

And now, Russia might be breaking it.
Well, fuck Putin for fucking around like that.
How did this new crisis develop again?

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49198565" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Unknown Journalist on bbc.com wrote:President Donald Trump announced in February that the US would withdraw from the pact if Russia didn't come into compliance, and set the deadline for 2 August.

Russian President Vladimir Putin suspended his country's own obligations to the treaty shortly afterwards.
Right. Because that's what you do when someone you like doing business with might be endangering the whole world with nuclear weapons that would reduce early-warning times so much, they make war more likely, rather than being a deterrence. You set an ultimatum, and then you don't mobilize the diplomatic might of yourself and all your allies to make the guy you're so fond of at least allow inspections.
No, you set an ultimatum, and before that ultimatum is even up, you set in motion not one but three weapons projects that violate the treaty.

Fun fact: IIRC, the INF treaty really was biased in favor of the US, since it only dealt with land-based intermediate range weapons. On which, back in the day, the USSR's defense relied on rather a lot. While the US got to keep her sea-based intermediate range nuclear or dual-use weapons systems (such as submarine launched Tomahawk missiles), which proportionally made up a larger part of the US arsenal than of the Soviet's arsenal. That, at least, is the criticism that stuck in mind when I read up on that treaty in the past.

I failed to see a massive, continuous diplomatic effort to try and get Russia in line on the INF treaty. Such might have failed entirely, Putin isn't exactly a nice guy. I believe his push to develop new nuclear weapons systems might be (at least in part) related to the sanctions that have been imposed since 2012.
But when human civilization is at risk, you at least try to do everything. You don't already have three different weapons systems in the works before your own ultimatum expires.

Oh, well. The front-line in a military confrontation against the Soviets Russians wouldn't be literally in my front yard anymore, at least not initially. Because, as much as the US had promised not to expand NATO to the east, in return for the Soviets not blocking German reunification, that wasn't really a treaty, so fuck it, and now NATO is right on the borders of Russia in some areas.
So if shit kicks off, the first areas made into shiny glass craters with intermediate-range nukes are gonna be the Baltic, Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovenia. You know. All those former eastern-bloc, Warsaw Pact countries that negotiators had assured the Soviets would not become part of NATO.
Of course, I live in a massive conurbation, a juicy strategic target even after much of the steel and all of the coal is gone. Well within that 500-5,500 km range of potential intermediate range weapons.
Previously, my worries had been limited to many MIRVs from ICBM/SLBM, or air-launched cruise-missiles. Now I get to worry about weapons that have such a short flight-time, there almost certainly wouldn't even be enough warning for me to climb on a roof and make it quick and painless.
I hate 80s nostalgia.

This isn't Trump's personal achievement, of course, and not even the work of just his predecessors. Neoliberal dirtbags, capital's puppet-politicians here in Europe, totally certain that worrying about Russia was no longer necessary, they contributed just as much.
But Trump made sure that nobody got in Putin's way while driving that final nail in the INF coffin, certainly not himself. When Putin started playing around with dual-use weapons, Trump's administration set at least three dual-use weapons programs in motion before the ultimatum had even expired.
Obviously, NATO would only ever put conventional warheads on those, obviously only the evil, evil Russians must be mistrusted here. The mere idea that the Russians that are not Putin might feel threatened by NATO, how dare anyone suggest that! NATO are the good guys, of course nobody could feel threatened by a military pact that broke its "sincere" promises and expanded ever eastward, with a strategy still built around a showdown with those same Russians! NATO is made of angels, and nobody could possibly worry about NATO, the idea is ridiculous!
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:23 am

I'm sure its nothing to be concerned about DerG, just big boys and their big toys showing off, right? I mean, we took the lessons from WWII and have taken steps not to repeat them (with the exception of fascism and concentration camps), so why would anyone think we didn't learn from the Cold War and won't naturally preserve the balance of peace by not creating a massive nuclear stockpile just to be able to show off how big our Button is? The people in charge know what they are doing, aren't motivated by greed nor ego, and we should have total and unquestioning faith in their decision-making. After all, they are rich and therefore represent the best of us, which is why they are leaders.
-Davros

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:17 am

Bigshankhank wrote:I'm sure its nothing to be concerned about DerG, just big boys and their big toys showing off, right? I mean, we took the lessons from WWII and have taken steps not to repeat them (with the exception of fascism and concentration camps), so why would anyone think we didn't learn from the Cold War and won't naturally preserve the balance of peace by not creating a massive nuclear stockpile just to be able to show off how big our Button is? The people in charge know what they are doing, aren't motivated by greed nor ego, and we should have total and unquestioning faith in their decision-making. After all, they are rich and therefore represent the best of us, which is why they are leaders.
Quite.

Problem: even if they were so reliable. The decision makers.
Short warning time means a very short time to react. Even if the US has no reason to be hasty when it's just Europe getting nuked. The Russians are a different kettle of borschtsch. Recall the "Norwegian Rocket incident". 1995. Peace and happiness between Russia and the USA. But a launch-notification hadn't made it through to the Russian early-warning center, and a Norwegian sounding-rocket was misidentified as a Trident missile. Possible part of a "decapitation strike".
Yeltzin had the nuclear football out and launch-codes in hand.

So if one or more of those three weapons systems is deployed in Europe, or the Russians just have to fear that it is deployed. They would be looking at it through NATO's (possibly) anti-ABM-treaty violating missile defense, and would see their own deterrence against a decapitation strike reduced. So if they get a bad warning...

The radio just reported that Putin has made noises about putting nuclear missiles close to America.
Since they already have a fleet of ballistic-missile submarines, and a large number of land-based ICBM, the only way that would make sense was if they made like the US Navy has been doing for years. Put a battery of cruise-missile sized launch tubes into the large SLBM launch tubes on their submarines. The new SSC-8 that the US is objecting to is suspected to be a land-based version of a naval missile that is already deployed, and that INF wouldn't even cover. So I'd expect he's talking about submarines with such missiles.
Which would come with as little warning-time against targets near the coast as they would against land targets in Europe. Less, possibly.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:01 pm

It's both sad and funny -- but understandable -- that nobody's posted in this thread in over a year.

What's there been to say? Jackass has done nothing out of character. It's no surprise he's handled The Plague the way he has. It's been a dumpster fire and anyone with any sense knows it. If that's not self-evident I don't know what else to say.

I obviously hope Uncle Joe crushes it tomorrow and there's no ambiguity regarding the outcome. That would be the worst-case: another disputed election. I worry shit will truly go sideways then. I can also see Jackass spreading sedition and not accepting results.

If it's somehow a legit EC win for Jackass... I dunno about y'all, but I can't take another 4 years of Jackass & Co. + Plague. Moreover, it will show that the system is so deeply flawed at this point that I don't see it being resolved within my lifetime. Time to actively seek greener pastures... I hear New Zealand is gorgeous, and I'd happily raise sheep. Sounds great.

Here we go, ladies and gentlemen... let's see what happens...

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:30 am

Jaeger wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:01 pm
I obviously hope Uncle Joe crushes it tomorrow and there's no ambiguity regarding the outcome. That would be the worst-case: another disputed election. I worry shit will truly go sideways then. I can also see Jackass spreading sedition and not accepting results.
They had an analyst on the radio here this morning, he suggested that Trump will "demand a pardon".
That that will be the prerequisite to him leaving office peacefully. Him and his family and cronies getting a pile of presidential pardons.
The guy compared it to Ford pardoning Nixon, suggesting that Nixon resigned only because he could expect such a pardon. Which isn't all that outlandish.

I'm conflicted. Would I prefer seeing Trump in the dock? Or a peaceful handover?
On the one hand, if the Trump clique get a pardon. That is just gonna encourage the next guy.

On the other hand. A contested handover. Will be destructive. WILL NOT be just a short period of upheaval. Will not go away.
Whatever bullshit story the orange menace comes up with. The Trumpista will be waving that flag for years and years. Decades. No matter what Biden will try to do. They will contest its legitimacy. Faux News will start every show with how Biden is not the legit president.
And by the transitive property, they will claim any future democrat president is illegitimate, as is any bill or motion any democrat puts forward in congress. Any future democrat governor will probably have to deal with the same bullshit.
Not even mentioning any judges nominated by Biden, be they federal or, worse, supreme.

And they will recruit on that. The Trumpista I mean. They will rope in more and more people with the idea that actually, Trump won, and...
Next go around, the fuckers seeking the republican nomination will jostle for who is most like Trump, who will continue Trump's glorious reign, who will throw Biden into the deepest dungeon, fastest.

Even if he does go peacefully, enough Trumpista will claim Biden isn't legit (remember "not my president"?), nor is any future democrat, etc.
But at least, they wouldn't have whatever fairytale Trump and Fauc News waved around to rationalize their delusions.

If it wasn't Biden, but Sanders. Or, fuck, anyone not associated with President Blackenstein. If the democrats were not running, again, some right-of-center (compared to the rest of the world) shite who used to be part of the very administration that had enraged the racist shitgobblers so much, they adopted a fucking reality show host as their lord and savior.
Then I could get behind handing out pardons, doing whatever, so long as the orange menace and his gang told their legions that, yah, the other guy won fair and square, and its their patriotic duty to accept the election results and act accordingly.

But the DNC decided that, instead of trying to give the US and the world a fresh start in a way, instead of nominating someone, anyone, who hadn't already collected tens of millions of devoted haters among the US electorate, they went right back to the backroom-dealing, political-favors-owing, nepotistic bullshit.

There really is no winning scenario in this.
Not just is Biden far from who I'd have wished my American brethren to get in charge, he is not likely to introduce the kind of reforms the world needs as climate change is literally heating up, as a new Cold War has already kicked off (have no illusions, and see below), as China demonstrates beyond a doubt that free markets don't, in fact, make free people.
He probably isn't even gonna do much about COVID-19. With the furor that the covidiots over there have whipped themselves into, he might not be able to do much about that. But I really doubt he's even gonna float the idea of doing something with his advisors.

Also, to get back to the "new" Cold War Threadjack.
I posted this on the facebooks the other day. Putin is making any Bond Villain look pale and uninspired with his new toys.
The Belgorod, short version
Show
Very short version: The Russians (read: Putin et al) have taken the maddest weapon systems the Soviets had developed in the 80s, but hadn't had the cash to build (self-organizing, networked swarms of supersonic anti-ship missiles), added a bunch of apeshit new stuff (SIX nuclear-powered, ocean-patrolling, reusable AI robot torpedoes with a Tzar-Bomb or two for a warhead), and stuffed it all into a nuclear submarine that had been sitting around unfinished since the end of the Soviet era. Added a bunch of fucking James Bond stuff like not one, but two smaller subs that dock to the big one underwater.
No, they are not planning to build this. It launched in April 2019, is undergoing trials, and is expected to enter service next year or thereabouts.
The Belgorod, longer version with Video
Show
On the facebooks, I wrote:Halloween! So let's have a >proper< scary story!
Like "Doctor Doom has issued his demands" scary.

In case you don’t have 20 minutes to watch the video, you can take 20 minutes to read the highlights here.

So, let’s go back, way back, to the 1980s. The Cold War was still going on, and the Soviet Union was trying to figure out how to sink American ships. And the stuff they came up with. Like. James Bond, much?
The Belgorod, launched in 2019 and undergoing trials, is the world’s longest submarine. In terms of physical size, and how long it took to build. Keel was laid down 1992, as a Soviet-era Oscar class. Since then, it got whole new sections added, hence the length. It’s caricaturishly ... I don’t even have another adjective there.
You know that supercavitating rocket-torpedo that, depending on sources, goes anywhere between 100 and 200 knots?
It has that. But that’s tired, old, 1970s technology. That is the boring bit.

It’s got 24 P700 missiles. 1,653 lbs high explosive warhead, 388 miles range. Each.
All 24 are launched in a single salvo. They come out of the water, stay close to the water’s surface, below radar. And autonomously coordinate with each other via a wireless network. One is chosen as a scout. The scout climbs to a great altitude and uses radar to find the targets. If one scout is knocked out, another is chosen to take its place.
Once targets are detected, the missiles work out among themselves which attacks what.
They designed that in the 1980s, to defeat AEGIS and kill supercarriers. They just didn’t have the cash.

Then, there is Poseidon.
Poseidon is “a torpedo”. In the sense that the submarine Belgorod is “a boat”.
Poseidon is 6.5 feet wide. Nuclear propulsion. AI controlled. It can loiter in some place, it can swim patterns to patrol an area. For a minimum 7 months, non stop, no maintenance. And when it’s done, it just swims hundreds or thousands of miles to a friendly port, for recovery.
If something does go down, the AI finds itself a target, and attacks. With it’s TWENTY TO NINETY MEGATON warhead.
So it doesn’t just sink an entire battlegroup steaming out of port. It will also send a RADIOACTIVE TSUNAMI to where those ships came from.
The Belgorod carries SIX Poseidon “torpedoes”. SIX.
NINETY MEGATON!!

This isn’t even James Bond. This is beyond Lex Luthor. Doctor Doom would think this is a bit much.
Oh, and it's not one submarine. It's actually three submarines. The Belgorod has two smaller submarines docked to it, one manned, one unmanned, for "research" and "other" jobs.
I have questions about how well those weapons were tested and debugged. One of the smaller submarines was lost underwater with all hands during trials. Also, I’m sure modern information warfare systems will have something to say about that wireless network the missiles use to coordinate.
But. FUCK!!
What is Putin smoking?
EDIT:
And I learned today what those mini-submarines the Belgorod carries around are for, besides "research".
One use is for deployment of Harmony.

Way back in the day, the US installed a preposterous network of hydrophones over the ocean floors of the world, SOSUS. The idea being to know where the other guys were at any time (or at least until the Soviets bought precision CNC mills from Japan, for the making of quiet screws). BIG advantage in underwater warfare, I suppose.

So the Russians are building their own network, under the Arctic sea that they consider their bailiwick.
Difference: unlike SOSUS, Harmony requires that the hydrophones are serviced at intervals. SOSUS has the world's longest extension cord, Harmony has batteries on the hydrophone modules. Or on some of them. Among the new technology Russia is apparently working on in relation to Harmony is a self-contained, autonomous nuclear reactor, Shelf. No, that's its name. Presumably, they could set that down on the ocean floor, and wire up a bunch of hydrophones, with only a fraction of the cable-laying that SOSUS required.

But they aren't out to even odds in the Arctic, no. The Harmony hydrophone modules that use batteries are not just in need of servicing. But can be planted at arbitrary locations. Hence equipping a combat ship with the deployment gear, apparently. So in a conflict in Arctic waters, US Navy units would not know where exactly the Russian hydrophones are sitting, and whether they are maybe being detected.
How they will send the data the hydrophones produce to wherever it is needed, I haven't been able to find anything about that, yet.
Here is a not entirely enlightening article: https://www.globalsecurity.org/intell/w ... armony.htm

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:49 am

You know he's gonna win, regardless of whether it's legitimate or not.
We're fucked.
America revealed it's filthy underbelly in 2016. From living in the Midwest my whole life, I've known that side was there. Experienced it often at school, at various jobs, and in my personal life as I've grown.

This place was grown from a bad seed, watered and fed with lies, so of course it will bear rotten fruit.

Now, the question is, what the fuck will we do about it? Probably nothing. We (my family unit) are too broke to be able to flee this place; the best we can hope for is to make a valiant effort to get out of our current state to some place better suited and hope to live long uneventful lives.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:15 pm

I don't think it's all just the filthy underbelly. Much is, but not all of it.
Biden was attached to the administration that drove the racist lunatics to Trump. While Biden also, afaik, oversaw/pushed-through a criminal justice reform that put a lot of people in prison. People with families, families who don't like Biden.

The Democratic Party seems to be doing like the former social democrats here. They play all the backroom-bullshit and nepotism, pick a candidate and expect people must vote for him. Because they are telling them to, and they know better, of course. Never mind the situations that people live in, never mind the baggage a candidate might have accrued over a political career that made him popular with the power-brokers. No, them little people should vote for who they're told to vote for. They don't get to pick a candidate, no, their betters did that for them.

So a bunch of people were already voting Trump because they're scum. Scum has the transitive property, anyone who cheers for scum is scum.
A bunch of people would vote against Biden, specifically because he had been on the Obama administration, or because of his political history.
Finally, a bunch of fucking morons would vote for Trump because they don't want their taxes raised, their guns taken away, all that bullshit.

The problem isn't (just) a filthy underbelly. But that the power-broking jackoffs of the Democratic Party refused to pay attention to reality, and ensured that the unfilthy belly would not support them.

At this point, I'm less interested in term limits for politicians, here, there, or anywhere, than I'm considering minimum sentences for party political work. You got more than x% in the general? Guess what, you're living the next y months rent free!
Sure, some psychos would still do it, because they might curry favors in the private sector. But it'd be a start, to curb the fucking backroom "do as you're told by your betters" bullshit the formerly left parties of the developed world have devolved into, and that has been a major factor in promoting the new fash here in potato, across Europe, and in other place.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:18 am

We went downtown Saturday after they announced the results. DC was absolutely jubilant. I didn't see any conflicts, shouting, or any of that -- it was obviously a party atmosphere -- but I noted that many, many buildings in downtown DC were boarded up, presumably against potential riots.

It ain't over yet. Jackass still has 2 months in which to stir the shit and blow things up if he so desires. I'm just hoping we're heading into some sort of conclusion of this particular chapter in American history.

We'll be dealing with Trumpism for far longer than I care to think about. Neither he nor his disciples are going away, and it's frightful to me how close the election was. I shudder to think what this will be in 2024.

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

Pintgudge
The Big Oooola

Post by Pintgudge » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:42 am

If anyone could do anything to help the Geogia runoff, spread the word, donate?
I hardly ever give money, but I will on this.
It could take away the Republican majority in the house and then. . . .

WE COULD FUCK THE HORSE HE RODE IN ON TOO!

politics, yuk.
If man is fit to be governed, is any man fit to govern?

These are the days of miracles and wonder!

'81 Goldwing Standard w/'61 Ural Sidecar

'06 Bajaj Chetak

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:20 pm

I hear today that, surprise, surprise, the government official who's job it is to kick off the transition to the next president has announced that she cannot certify the election results, or some such phraseology, and hence cannot release the multi-million dollar budget that is supposed to bay the salaries of the new administration while that is getting set up.
While, at the same time, Trump's state department is doing some nebulously murky things, almost certainly to undermine Biden's credibility.

That is what a petty fucking CHILD the orange menace is. He has lost. But now he won't hand over the toys, and starts telling everybody else in the playground about how the guy that beat him is a poopy-face.

I've also heard that some peculiarities of the Biden campaign are snapping into place, start making sense.
Biden hired, with his campaign budget, foreign policy experts, international relations experts, diplomacy experts. And not one or two of any type, no.
Biden hired 2,000 foreign relations experts, on his campaign.
He knew what Trump would do, so he put together his own state department,
That petty act of sabotage, one of what we are surely about to find out are many, many such acts to come in the next days or weeks, that pathetic attempt at hurting Biden's image, and to actively prevent him from doing his job.

That is not just spitting on the office of the presidency. That is, after Trump spent four years gorging himself on even more ass-kissing and fat bills his resorts could send the federal government, this is now him. After devouring that feast, he has to poop.
And since nobody will be kissing his arse when he's wrapped up in an orange jumpsuit, he has decided to place a huge, steaming, slimy, rancid, wet pile of feces onto the office of the President of the United States.

Heck. come inauguration day. I would not be surprised if he, with the aid of Secret Service agents, one horribly uncomfortable, and one horribly aroused, has climbed and is now squatting on the Resolute Desk. Pants around his ankles, groaning to lay it out for Bide before he goes to the ceremony.

Oh, that mental image. That glorious, glorious mental image. State and federal cops, cuffs in hand, jostling for position. All keen on being the guy who put the irons on Trump, at long last.

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:00 am

My wife says they aren't letting the transition team in because they're busy shredding documents and wiping drives to cover their tracks.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:25 pm

red wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:00 am
My wife says they aren't letting the transition team in because they're busy shredding documents and wiping drives to cover their tracks.
That's probably part of it, yeah. Also:

1) By keeping their base all torqued up they think they're helping the Senate race in GA. What they may neglect is that they're also pissing off the Democrats. I hope.

2) This may also be a segue into the argument of "We can just change how the Electoral College votes! The original vote was a fraud!"

3) It will give Jackass ammo to keep screaming forever. When he dies his kids will pick up the torch, though I don't think they have his... charisma? Magic? I hope not, anyway.

4) He's really just that much of an asshole. Who cares that this is an impediment to the health and safety of the Nation? If the past 4 years have taught us anything it's that if Jackass has the ability to screw someone he will do it out of spite.

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>