Update, 2020/12/01
Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details.

SECURITY ADVISORY!
Today, 2020/11/18, suspicions have been expressed that there has been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.
While the facts behind those suspicions have not yet been established, your Administerrerr is treating them as credible. He is looking into this. He will try and beef up security.
Even if you did so only recently:
Please change your password!
Please click here, or use the menu ( button) to navigate to the the User Control Panel, therein to the Profile Tab, and there click Edit Account Settings. You should get it from there on.
For a safe password that will resist brute-force attempts (which we have been subject to in the past), please use upper and lower case letters, AND numerals, AND symbols, and make it as long as you feel feasible. 16 characters seems to be recommended these days.
DO NOT use a password you also use elsewhere.
While your Administerrerr tries to keep this place safe. Get real. Security here is mostly by obscurity, that is, no one serious enough to crack us like a rotten egg is likely to even bother. But if one does, you don't want the safety of your email of facebook or whatever to depend on one mostly blind, mostly clueless autodidact who can't work at this more than a few hours at a time, if that much.

If you used a password here that you also used elsewhere, you must set a new password there, also!
A different password, this time. If someone did breach us, the first thing they are likely to do with your login credentials is to try them out elsewhere. Login credentials compromised here are compromised everywhere else, also. If you did reuse a password, but with a different email, your administerrerrerr strongly urges you NOT rely on that different email keeping you safe. This whole thing runs on a database. That means your half-blind administerrerrerr can operate a database. Do you honestly think identity thieves, and those who sell them passwords by the ten-thousands, won't?
If you get an error message about an invalid form, click here.
Show
Every form you can debauch is on a time limit. Even if you feel you've been reasonably quick, some browsers seem to think otherwise.
Recommendation: type your password in something like a text editor or word processor, highlight (making sure not to highlight any leading or trailing spaces), copy, then reload the account settings page, paste, paste, debauch, and be all quick about it. Like Dan said, back in the when. Be like the housefly, and see the events of the world unfold in liquid slowness, or something to that effect.
If you cannot reset a forgotten password, click here.
Show
The "I forgot my password" function has been buggy for a while, I apologize. I will look into that, also, over the next few days.
UPDATE: I have looked into this. I think it should work now, but I can't test it all with my admin accounts. Anyone who tries it, please do let me know whether it works or not.
You yourself, meanwhile, might look into your SPAM folder. I know, I know, but humor me, please.
Also, if you have been around for a bit, try and remember whether the email you entered there was also the email you registered with back in the when. I'm sure the email addresses associated to some user-accounts are still hotmail.
If none of that solves your confound, hit me through the contact form, or grab me via dm on the Facebooks, or if none of that works, speak up in the Midget Circus. I will look out for you there, but I can't guarantee nothing.

Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:59 pm

My wee little tach arrived and fab'd up the mount today. I was going to wire it tonight but my oldest wants to assist, so I'll do it tomorrow and get some pics. I picked up the sheet steel (16ga) to use for the speedo mount but I'm waiting on the RAM universal cell mount, before I start finalizing my prototype. With how challenging it was to make my little tach mount, I may find a local place to plasma cut the speedo mount; since this is going to be more complex.

I had hoped to sync the carbs this weekend but I can only find 2 of the tubes for the fancy electronic balancer and the replacement bottle of magic blue juice for the Motion Pro balancer is MIA. I ordered the fluid and the mount from Revzilla, as well as bottle of Motul MotoWash. I've never washed a motorcycle but I'd like to start clean with this one so I can find any (additional) leaks that pop up. Plus, I'm kinda tired of getting fucking filthy doing minor jobs. With a fork rebuild and a swing arm replacement coming up, it will be nice to not have to deal with all of the gunk.

Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:36 am

Agreed on the cleaning, it’ll have plenty of time to get filthy as you put miles on it, but cleaning it as thoroughly as possible prior to working on it is so nice.
I doubt I could get it to you in a reasonable amount of time but I have an old aluminum handicap parking sign kicking around in my garage, probably 4mm thick if you wanted it. But I am 800 miles away from my garage and have no idea when I will see it again.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red

Post by red » Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:02 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:36 am
Agreed on the cleaning, it’ll have plenty of time to get filthy as you put miles on it, but cleaning it as thoroughly as possible prior to working on it is so nice.
I doubt I could get it to you in a reasonable amount of time but I have an old aluminum handicap parking sign kicking around in my garage, probably 4mm thick if you wanted it. But I am 800 miles away from my garage and have no idea when I will see it again.
Thanks for the offer but no worries. I have a few signs I've *cough* found, laying around. I might make some sort of skid plate out of one of them in the future. But I have more important mods to do first (top case, hand guards and etc).

I'm good on plates, I have a few coming from Eagle and uh... another ootmik from the Denver area (can't remember his board name but Chewbacca Kinevel on FB).

Got the tach wired up to cylinder 4 today, easy peasy and works well enough for my needs. I'm less concerned about my revs while riding, really just need it for tuning purposes. At first I was kinda disappointed I didn't get the one with a backlight (it's apparently random) but I"m glad I didn't. It would just be another gauge reflecting in my eyes at night.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:33 am

Progress continues!

I have my dashboard created, using a piece of 16ga steel, RAM cell mount, and an old waterproof Android phone running Ulysse app. I added some LED indicator lights on the top tab, and put a USB outlet on the backside. It should all be nicely covered with a little fly screen. The heated grips and all wiring (besides headlight, taillight and signals) is complete. Used some perforated aluminum to make side panels. It's starting to come together.

Might be road worthy, and legal by the end of summer!
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:05 am

And moar progress!

I wired up the LED oval trailer light, new signals and made a temp bracket for the plate holder. The signals and trailer light are super bright, and the signals have a dual function as brake lights.

IMG_20200719_143652.jpg
IMG_20200718_231737.jpg
I'm really happy with out it all turned out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:30 pm

Ordering the headlight and front signals this week. A fellow Hurricane owner sold me a piece of pure 80's vibe, in the form of a Lockhart windscreen made of the finest fluorescent pink lexan (plexi glass?)! I have moved beyond good taste at this point and I'm loving every bit of it.

However....

My garage is a fucking mess right now. We spent last weekend cleaning out our shed and made room for the junk from the garage. This will allow me to move my whole work bench set up to the wall that is parallel with the overhead door. With that moved, I should be able to park my SUV in the garage during the nasty months, as well as make room for any future moto purchases.

Lots to do this weekend so I can even get to my bike to finish up the wiring.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:59 pm

The garage is back to about 80% organization. I still have a decent sized pile of junk I need to get out, then it's time to test fit my SUV. I got my dual headlights in, as well as my turn signals and super moto fender. Unfortunately, I've been swamped with afterhours work, so who knows when I'll have the time and energy to start working again.

Rench and I have thrown around the idea of doing a midwest camping Do0M trip, I'm trying to be ready but we'll see. There are some cool camp sites in southern half of my state that would be good for a moto trip.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:20 am

A little mock-up for the beak, waiting on some hardware before I can start assembly. I think I'm going to cut the back 1/4 of the fender off and raise it about 3 inches to keep the headlights and beak clustered together.
IMG_20200817_114959.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:35 am

IMG_20200819_131954.jpg
Behold my beak in all it's glory!

I'm not really satisfied with the first draft of my fork ears but they'll work for now. Need to run out into the plague-zone to get more hardware before I can mount them. The lights are 40W Flood/Spot combos and may honestly be too bright for street use. I wanted something lower powered but to avoid making all sorts of brackets, I wanted something with this specific mount style. Originally, I had them bolted together with some all-thread but I needed to mount the beak higher than planned. I used a factory mount between the lights, which gave me a mount spot for the beak. Worked well! The beak will provide some protection from wheel spray but it's mostly aesthetic.

There's still a slim chance it may be road worthy before winter but the chance of getting it out for a Do0M camping trip here in Indy are pretty slim. Running out of time and that free time will only decrease as we move into upgrade and project season for work.

Managed to get the first mock up in place. I'm digging the cybernetic Gonzo vibe.
IMG_20200820_132116.jpg
Still need to fab up the mounts for the windscreen.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:30 am

red wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:35 am
IMG_20200819_131954.jpg

Dude, that thing needs a Groucho mustache.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

red

Post by red » Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:03 am

Jaeger wrote:
Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:30 am
red wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:35 am
IMG_20200819_131954.jpg

Dude, that thing needs a Groucho mustache.

--Jaeger
I'll have to make one! :lol:
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:59 am

Haven't really had the time, or motivation to put the wrenches to the bike lately. Work is super busy and with all the political chaos, I've shifted gears and I'm working to catch up on primary vehicle maintenance and mods; along with other necessities.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:04 am

Take you time man, everything right now is exhausting.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red

Post by red » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:43 am

I managed to make it to the BMV and get a new "Real ID", as well as the title work and plates done for the CBR! It's not wrench turning, but it's progress nonetheless.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:51 am

The swingarm swap is complete and the fancy new gold chain is installed! I got all the other bits buttoned up and decided to take her for a test spin. **cue sad music** However, once I turned on the petcock, fuel started pissing out AGAIN. I pulled the tank and started looking around, and also noticed cylinder 2 wasn't firing since the pipe wasn't hot. Time to start the investigation. I'm gonna replace all the plugs as I don't recall, nor see any notes in my blog posts about doing so before. If it's not the plugs, I'll check the rest of the culprits, you now how it goes.

I tried running it again, after checking for spark and I'll be damned but the leak stopped. Maybe just a stuck float. *shrug* I geared up and took her for a test ride, definitely down on power and stumbly. But I did learn I do not like the clip-ons at all. I ordered a set with 1" rise to see if that's better but it will probably be a handlebar swap for me. Plus, that gives me a the chance to run real handguards like I had on my XJ.
Our roads are a mess and the combination of clip-ons and crappy front fork were not fun.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:47 am

Got my title in the mail! It's officially mine. Now, just waiting on my plate. Got my fuel line and plugs, so I should be able to get the overflow lines on and swap the plugs this weekend.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:33 am

Managed to squeeze in a bit of time today over lunch.

Definitely leaking on carb 1 or 2, probably 2. It only seems to leak when running on reserve but the tank is almost empty so maybe it's a pressure issue. Cylinder two seemed to run better and get up to temp until I switched to reserve. Maybe it's flooding out that cylinder and fouling the plug. *shrug*

Regardless, I have the tank and airbox off so I can remove the carbs soon and check the float tab and valve. I'm guessing I cocked up the adjustment when checking them. It's little shit like this that drives me nuts and makes me want to set projects on fire. And, it's one of the many reasons I want a single cylinder bike!

Got my plugs from O'Reily and not one of their fucking employees was wearing a mask. I reported their store to the corporate overlords. Fucking idiots. My fuel line and riser clip-ons arrived as well, so we'll get some shit done this weekend.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:45 am

Motivation!

Instead of wasting 90 minutes of my life watching the presidential debate, I decided to head to the garage. Got the plugs swapped (they were definitely old), risers installed, floats adjusted, and installed some overflow line (with labels, so I know which set is leaking). Huzzah!

Next stop, checking for leaks (again).
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:16 am

Moar progress!

My fancy widdle Trail Tech TTO temp sensor arrived yesterday, took me all of 20 min to install it, including cleaning up the blood, I mean coolant from the floor.

Now my gauge "cluster", maybe it's a gauge clusterfuck, is complete:

PXL_20201028_001210196.jpg
PXL_20201028_002226875.jpg
PXL_20201028_002247249.jpg
I really like the contrast between the agricultural tachometer and the high tech speed/nav app on the Android phone.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:14 pm

Still fucking leaking gas, but not from the overflows. It's either the bowls or the fuel connectors between carbs. Only 2 & 3 looked wet. Going to have to hook them up to the test tank off the bike to find the leaks. They're intermittent, which is fucking annoying. Too damn cold and windy to work on them. Maybe next week.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:07 am

It's too damn cold to do anything in the garage and the bike is in a cocoon of cardboard and supplies from work. I've decided to definitely go the path of MX bars instead of clip-ons (even with the risers). My jacked up back can't take that much lean. This decision involves some redesign of my dash setup since it will be blocked by the bars and I wouldn't be able to reach my heated grip switch in its current position. I also managed to track down a real gasket for the stator cover since my DIY one is leaking.

The cold will be gone in a few weeks and I'm looking forward to getting back to it. I'll have my COVID-19 vax soon and that will add some comfort to the prospect of Do0M 21. I'll probably still keep with my original plan and camp near by; maybe even stealth camp near the CARS building next door.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

Post by problemaddict » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:38 pm

I'm sure DEWM stealth camping will be a non-issue. The building next door, or out behind the hotel near where the big rigs park, there's plenty of semi-wooded area.
I feel like I remember one year the hotel staff\owner saying camping out back would be fine.
With all the shit we get up to in the parking lot, I don't recall ever getting so much as a stem talking-to, let alone any threats to kick us out or ask us to not come back.

red

Post by red » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:21 pm

I didn't think it would be problematic.

Lol
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:47 am

The weather is warming (for now), snow is melting, and I heard the first songs of spring as 2 sport bikes went ripping by me the yesterday.

I guess that means I need to remove the cocoon of recycling cardboard from my work area and motorbike.

First up is leak testing the carbs (again) and checking spark on #2. Once those are resolved it's time for the fork rebuild, then new tires. When it's roadworthy, it will all be mods and fine tuning from there. I plan on ditching the dual LED fog lights as the light pattern just isn't acceptable without blinding oncoming traffic. So, I'll be going to a round LED DOT light. I have sketches on how I want to make the new ears, that should end up pretty freaking awesome and keep with the Cyberpunk theme.

I've started a shopping list for the parts needed to convert from clip-ons to dirt style bars; including new controls that will allow me to move my heated grip switch and get me a flash to pass button (fancy!). My bar mounts will have to stand tall enough to clear the fork tubes in the top tree. Rumor has it the cables should be long enough but I'll believe that when I can turn full lock without affecting the throttle. Moving to dirt bars also gives me the chance to run bar mounts for the hyper rad 80's pink windscreen, and save me some fab work.

I sure as shit could use some real moto therapy.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:53 pm

red wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:47 am
The weather is warming (for now), snow is melting, and I heard the first songs of spring as 2 sport bikes went ripping by me the yesterday.

I guess that means I need to remove the cocoon of recycling cardboard from my work area and motorbike.

I sure as shit could use some real moto therapy.
FUCKIN' W000T!

Goddamn right, man. Lilah hasn't moved in over a month -- six weeks, I think. The past few weeks have been particularly shit with the cold, sleet, ice, etc. No fucking bueno. I had little life before the plauge, less during it, but riding was one of the last respites. WTF?

Still, the forecast for the next couple of weeks is encouraging. All the days show some sun, and all have highs above freezing. I may only ever get out on the weekends for some moto-therapy, but at this point it's the only thing keeping me from going up a belltower. :shock:

I gotta get heated grips too. I had them on Athena and they were lifesavers. There's nothing quite like riding and realizing you can't really move your fingers to grab the brake and clutch if you needed to. :x

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

red

Post by red » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:10 am

A few weeks ago I got a magic machine that summons plastic parts out of thin air, like some sort of dark magician. I found a material I can print with that is safe to run w/o an enclosure (ABS requires venting) and is ok for outdoor use. So, I'll be printing my headlight ears, as well as planning to design a gauge cluster to keep my stuff dry and block the sun.

No updates on the bike, been too damn busy with work and life; plus fighting the 3d printer into submission.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-