SECURITY ADVISORY!
On 2020/11/18, suspicions were expressed that there had been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.

As of April 14, 2021, no further breach or news thereof has become apparent. This message just looks different because anyone who was gonna read the whole thing presumably did by now.

Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details, and for how to change your password.
Click Here

eBike obsessed!

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.
problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

Re: eBike obsessed!

Post by problemaddict » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:23 am

Not a lot of meat in this article, but Electric Huskies are coming!

https://www.rideapart.com/news/462070/k ... ric-plans/

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:46 am

problemaddict wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:23 am
Not a lot of meat in this article, but Electric Huskies are coming!
That sounds too reliable to be reliable information.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:06 am

An "e-Pilen"? Ooh, that'd be interesting... :mrgreen:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:16 pm

Sondors has introduced a commuter motorcycle. For $5000. A sweet spot between an eBike or the CSC City Slicker, at $2500 and a Zero FX, the cheapest being around $8000.

I don't need one, but I feel like I should buy one and start a Sondors tuning\modding company. This hub motor looks beefy, and that big hole in the frame could hold a bunch more batteries. You could probably double it's peak power for short bursts...

This could get real interesting...

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:07 am

So, just spitballing.
Suppose you don't cut out the diode pack.
Suppose, instead, you wire it all up so the brake switches from motor-mode to alternator-mode. For regenerative braking.
If any motor is suitable for regenerative braking, it's gotta be this one.

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:48 pm

DerGolgo wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:07 am
So, just spitballing.
Suppose you don't cut out the diode pack.
Sounds plausible to me! I think you should test it. :mrgreen:

Good video. Thanks for sharing. I learned stuff... BTW, alternators make terrible motors as they're inefficient. Something like 60% efficiency, whereas the cheapest chineseium brushless DC motors will be in the upper 80s to mid 90s percent efficiency.

However, I'm all for repurposing junk! So thumbs up to that guy.

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:21 pm

I have to continue my Mount-tard ebike build thread! Anyone think of a better name for it? Anyway, the battery compartment was the next hurdle. I started with some CAD:
Ironhorse Battery Box (2).jpg
I got some acrylic from the big box store to transfer the design. I realize i should have gotten polycarbonate, as acrylic can shatter, but my quick google-fu at the store gave me false info. Anyway, acrylic it is. Much cutting, bending, glueing, and riveting ensued. I riveted the base to a piece of sheet metal for some stability and the whole shebang will be mounted to the water bottle mount holes in the frame (with some other supports).
Ironhorse Battery Box (6).jpg
Next, I did a lot of staring at the triangle-shaped space and trying to figure out how to fit as many rectangular battery packs in there as I could. Turns out its eight. Eight battery packs from "hoverboard" type mobility things. This config gives me 72v 16AH, or 1.2kwh Theoretically this should give me the same top speed as the BMX, which was 55mph, minus a few mph for the taller bike's aero drag? We'll see if I get brave enough to shoot for that top speed again...
I didnt' like this config:
Ironhorse Battery Box (3).jpg
I liked this one:
Ironhorse Battery Box (4).jpg
All wired up. (NO officer, its NOT a bomb!):
Ironhorse Battery Box (5).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:34 pm

I needed a way to secure the backside of the box. There was no room inside, so I used these corner-zip-strips and glue. These strips are used to make nice straight corners in drywall.
Ironhorse Battery Box (9).jpg
A piano hinge was used on the access side and some corner brackets and screws were used up top.
Ironhorse Battery Box (8).jpg
Paintd it all motorcycle-color and added some pipe clamps at the top and front to help support all the weight of the batteries. The box bulged out badly at the back by the shock, so I just added some velcro. It looks awful, but does the job.
Ironhorse Battery Box (14).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:30 am

Using the
to make an empty line

is not necessary here, btw.

We're not facebook. We respect the free line!

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:29 am

Try it with "place attachments inline" with a photo. As you can see in my second post above, the free line isn't there between the text and the image, but it was there when I composed the post.

Screenshot_20210120-072434.png

But here, I used two free lines, so I guess that's the key.

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:23 pm

I rode it for a bit like that. It was pretty sketchy. The forks were terrible. Stiction and flex made every twist of the throttle a herky-jerky affair. I had to detune the controller with lower power and a "soft start" setting turned way up. An upgrade was in order!

Enter the Marzocchi Bomber 888 front fork. A serious, double crown fork meant for downhill mountain biking. I don't need the 8 inches of travel, but I DO need the stout build quality and comp\rebound adjustability.

To fit this fork I had to re-lace the front wheel to a hub that works with the 20mm axle. I'm getting decent at lacing rims & it's not as nightmarish a job as many believe.

20210103_151944~2-01-01.jpeg

However, with the taller forks the BMX handlebars are too tall and look ridiculous. I've since changed them back to mtb bars. I'll have pix soon...

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:34 am

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:23 am

Am I nuts or does that thing have a clutch? if so... why?

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:26 am

Jaeger wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:23 am
Am I nuts or does that thing have a clutch? if so... why?

--Jaeger
It's probably a slipper clutch. For attracting Ducatista. Or to compete with them wherever riders gather.

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:01 pm

I'm thinking left-hand-lever is rear brake. Like a twist-n-go scooter. I don't see a foot pedal here:

Img_2021_02_03_20_53_27.jpeg

Kind of surprising that a seasoned road racer would want that, but, I'm thinking, with enough practice it would allow for more nuance/control.

It's common on ebikes, but that's because most ebikers are coming from the cycling world, not the moto world...

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:29 am

I caught Long Way Up not too long ago. Nothing about those bikes impressed me, except how much time they spent not riding them. That rtrip was mostly about getting Charlie back to some sort of positivity after his accident and Ewan realizing he'd been a gian asshole during his midlife meltdown.

That said, if they ever manage to work out the cold weather and low range I'd be willing to take another look.

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:09 pm

[media]https://www.instagram.com/reel/CNXyKtPK ... 68zw4nyljp[/media]

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CNXyKtPK ... 68zw4nyljp

This is probably why Charlie & Ewan had no range. They were fucking around like this off camera! LoL

I have yet to watch Long Way Up, but it sounded like a dumb idea from the start.

So many articles and reviews of ebikes involve road trips and it boggles my mind. That not what they're for! I get testing limits, but these same journalists don't take Road Kings out to track days and complain that they have no lean angle and can't possibly put down a quick lap time, therefore "they're not ready for prime time".

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:14 am

problemaddict wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:09 pm
[media]https://www.instagram.com/reel/CNXyKtPK ... 68zw4nyljp[/media]

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CNXyKtPK ... 68zw4nyljp

This is probably why Charlie & Ewan had no range. They were fucking around like this off camera! LoL

I have yet to watch Long Way Up, but it sounded like a dumb idea from the start.

So many articles and reviews of ebikes involve road trips and it boggles my mind. That not what they're for! I get testing limits, but these same journalists don't take Road Kings out to track days and complain that they have no lean angle and can't possibly put down a quick lap time, therefore "they're not ready for prime time".
I get that but at the same time MotoAmerica did come up with the King of Baggers racing series because some people (myself included) were curious to see baggers whip around a race track. Its matter of "what does it take to make a machine do something outside of its normal operating parameters?" Same reason why people do cross country road trips on Honda Monkeys and Sachs MadAss 125's. My complaint with Long Way Up which like you I have't watched is "what it took" was far beyond the capabilities of any motorcyclist in the world in terms of literally adding infrastructure in foreign countries (charging stations). If I invented a machine that ran on elephant farts and in order for me to ride it around the world I had to build elephant habitats every 150 miles along the route, that's not realistic test of what it takes to make it around the world.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

0l4fderstout
Maltov Rattlecan

Post by 0l4fderstout » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:01 pm

problemaddict wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:09 pm
For me to get to where I do most of my errands or entertainment venues, it is a 60+ mile round trip, not counting any point to point runs in town. That's if I have a plan. It also might be 25 degrees when I roll out if the weather is cooperating. Sometimes I bang off to the UP for 16 hours pf riding for the day, especially if it is going to be super hot. I'm just not ebike people.

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Wed May 05, 2021 7:53 pm

Nasty, smoky Grom-adjacent DIY e-moto. Sorry, FB video only, i guess... Click "Watch on Facebook" below:

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu May 06, 2021 7:07 am

OK that thing looks like a fuckin' hoot! You can hear his buddy chuckling in the background... :mrgreen:

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Mon May 17, 2021 2:53 am

The long awaited battery breakthrough may be here.
Michael Taylor on forbes.com wrote: Developer Of Aluminum-Ion Battery Claims It Charges 60 Times Faster Than Lithium-Ion, Offering EV Range Breakthrough

Range anxiety, recycling and fast-charging fears could all be consigned to electric-vehicle history with a nanotech-driven Australian battery invention.

The graphene aluminum-ion battery cells from the Brisbane-based Graphene Manufacturing Group (GMG) are claimed to charge up to 60 times faster than the best lithium-ion cells and hold three time the energy of the best aluminum-based cells.
“We will bring the coin cell to market first. It recharges in less than a minute, and it has three times the energy than with lithium,” the Barcaldine product said.
Full story: https://www.forbes.com/sites/michaeltay ... thium-ion/

Three times as much GO as old man Goodenough's Li-Ion, 60 times faster.
In other words, where a Li-Ion vehicle charges up in 20 minutes, one carrying the equivalent mass of battery (not sure whether they were counting the thermal management for the Li-Ion here) in Li-Al would get three times as much juice in a single minute.
So while the old, sad battery is still hogging the charging station, new hotness rider/driver can go have a nice, civilized, unhurried cup of coffee, flirt with the girl at the counter, wipe down the lid/windscreen, and since the new battery will also discharge a LOT more juice than Li-Ion without bursting into flames. When the two leave the charging station court at the same time, old sadness must eat new hotness's DUST.

Now imagine an electric 'cycle with this kind of battery. Enough range to whizz about all day at mad speed, but perhaps in something as light and nimble as a Super Sherpa or suchlike. :x

I'm :x because once more, there's a massively attractive technological breakthrough only after I've lost the ability to do fuckall with it.
First the ebook revolution after I've lost the ability to read extended texts, now electric motorbikes that may just let any internal combustion driven bike eat their dust.
With one of those all-the-torque-all-at-once motors, perhaps even two, for all-wheel traction, surely traction control. And while people are filling up their heavy, lumpen 600cc superbikes, the electric rocket just keeps on whizzing along, with regenerative breaking extending the range even further, and when it finally does need a "fillup". Not gonna take appreciably longer than the dead dinosaurs, conceivably.

Gentlemen (I apologize to any ladies who may read this, but unless you're a historian studying early 21st century, pre-cataclysm/2nd Great Pandemic/heathen-age online communities, I really don't think you're reading this), I cannot. Enjoy the absolutely mental sort of bike such a lightweight, high energy, high power battery might enable.
I must live vicariously through all y'all.
This is your mission, if you choose to accept it. Get onto the mad sort of bike, be it you have to build it or you just pick one up at Radio Shack (yes, yes, I know) and relate the experience!

Actually, thinking about it.
Besides how such power density might make it feasible to bring along a powerbrick for dirtbiking, where carrying a 2 hour battery for 10 minutes laps around the dirt track would make little sense.
Imagine a bike with two wheel hub motors, for two-wheel grip, two-wheel regenerative braking (on TOP of big old Brembos or suchlike, and a high sensitivity anti-lock braking system), exceptionally accurate traction control, as light and nimble as a Super Sherpa... but with as much torque as a Rocket III... :evil: