SECURITY ADVISORY!
On 2020/11/18, suspicions were expressed that there had been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.

As of April 14, 2021, no further breach or news thereof has become apparent. This message just looks different because anyone who was gonna read the whole thing presumably did by now.

Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details, and for how to change your password.
Click Here

Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Mon May 03, 2021 4:26 am

I printed the first official bike part, besides the cramp buster, a set of license plate brackets! I did a test run in PLA filament, which is not suitable for automotive or long term UV exposure. These were made with PETG which is like ABS but without the harmful VOCs and fumes.
brackets.PNG
PXL_20210503_122141747.jpg
I plan on printing the headlight ears, and possible a new gauge cluster out of this same material but maybe in the radioactive green/yellow for funsies.
PXL_20210328_224415205.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Mon May 03, 2021 12:35 pm

OringsAndMore just got back to me about the water pump. They have 2 different items that may work. Since they're all under a buck, I ordered a few spares for future use. They ship super fast too.

https://www.oringsandmore.com/

*crosses fingers* Come on universe, grant me a trip to DooM 2021!
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed May 12, 2021 7:33 am

I decided to make some tank badges!
PXL_20210510_201702251.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Fri May 14, 2021 4:42 pm

Should they be bigger?
PXL_20210514_193236700.jpg
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri May 14, 2021 10:08 pm

red wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:42 pm
Should they be bigger?

No, those look right to me.

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

red

Post by red » Sat May 15, 2021 5:08 pm

The placement is set yet. I still need to trim the outside brim.
Jaeger wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 10:08 pm
red wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 4:42 pm
Should they be bigger?

No, those look right to me.

--Jaeger
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Mon May 17, 2021 5:11 am

Fuel T leak resolved!

Now, cylinder 3 is acting up. Which is weird, because I'm 99% positive it was cylinder 2 last year. Both coils 2 and 3 are together. I've never really dealt with a coil issue before. I did reseat the plug wire into the coil, hopefully it's something that simple. Once that is resolved, I need to balance the carbs again.

I did install the plate brackets I printed (with some modification), as well as LED plate lights.
PXL_20210516_230305318_2.jpg
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Thu May 20, 2021 9:22 am

I'm gonna blow this place up with replies and necro old threads because I miss it. Remember the good ol' days?

Anywho....
Have some more garage time scheduled this weekend. I'm at the testing point where it's all noisy stuff I can't do while the kids are asleep (stupid but handy attached garage). I'm really thinking about paying someone to rebuild the forks once I get past the carb stuff. I'm tried of wrenching, I want to ride dammit. Lots of my gear is really long in the tooth, so I need to start replacing it.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Fri May 21, 2021 3:00 pm

Printed my headlight ears, and now I started the bucket. It's gonna take a few tries to get it right. Hopefully the LED bulb doesn't melt it.

Oh yeah, the water pump o-rings arrived today, and I ordered my fork seals.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Mon May 31, 2021 6:40 pm

Over the last 2 weekends, I've taken the Hurricane out for a few test rides. The first series resulted in a weird issue with the idle needing constant adjustment at every stop, as well as the bike dying a few times, and an annoying stutter/surge feeling around 5.5K. I found a small vacuum leak on carb boot 1, which was easily resolved by reseating the carbs and using some Dielectric grease as lube. The idle issue turned out (I made a pun!) to be a missing tension spring from the adjuster. An Ootmik on FB suggested the adjuster could have been spinning itself out, and he was correct. I checked the idle adjuster on my spare carbs and noticed the spring. Oh yeah, when pulling the carbs to reseal them, I snapped the plastic fuel T. Which are made existent from Honda. Luckily, the moto gods smiled upon my toiling and called it good; as I was blessed with finding a custom made metal T from eBay.

With those two issues resolved, I rebalanced the carbs and noticed the overflow was, well, flowing from carbs 3/4. It stopped when I got them balanced. The only issue I had on my test ride was that hesitation between 5.5K and 6.5K (ish). I can power through it and keep rocking. Some sleuthing uncovered I may need to adjust my mixture screws out since I'm running a K&N air filter, as well as a full Delkevic exhaust.

My test start resulted in the same fuel flow from 3/4. This time, it didn't stop. I pulled the carbs again (getting good at this), swapped in the floats from the spare carbs (they were rebuilt by a coworker about 10 years ago as a spare set for his race Hurricane). I decided that I might as well check out the o-rings on the pilot screws since I've replaced all the other o-rings on these carbs. Yup, they're rough. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the stock size or measurements. I was able to order other o-rings from a place in the USA, so I sent them a message to see if I can mail them a spare pilot screw assembly so they can size the o-ring for me. Never hurts to ask.

Once I have the pilot screws ready to go, which by the way no longer have the annoying EPA required limiter caps, we'll see how things turn out. If I continue to have issues, I may just take it in to be dyno tuned.

Oh, I still need to replace the fork seals and a few other odds and ends. It took a few attempts but I finally printed a headlight bucket. I'll be swapping that over when I do my fork seals. From there it's tires and ride ride ride. Then hopefully 5 days of moto fun in Oct for Do0M!

If you want to see pics, check the blog. I'm too lazy to upload them twice.

https://7plus8.blogspot.com/
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:58 am

The fork seal transplant seems to be a success. We'll see if the left seal leaks since there are some scratches in on the tube. I had heard the allen head bolts on the bottom were an absolute terror to remove. Thankfully, about a year ago, I bought a Ryobi battery powered impact gun. Worth every fuggin penny. However, I did have to track down some long reach allen sockets at Harbor Fright. All in all, the fork seal job was easy peasy. My 3d printed driver didn't cut it, so I had to get some 1.5" PVC and use the old backup washers as drivers. My net printed version will be much higher infill rate, that should remedy the issue.

Tonight, I'll put the exhaust back on which, btw, wasn't even tightened down properly at the exhaust ports. Guarantee I had leaks on at least cylinders 1 and 3; which is pretty evident with the amount of carbon in the pipes. I also need to reassemble the headlight cluster. All quiet work I can when the kiddos are in bed.

For father's day, I'll be leak testing the carbs (again) and doing a test ride if that goes well.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:27 am

Exhaust is back, man that was a pain in the ass. I had to pull the pipes off the collector and when I finally got them and the collector tight, I must have slightly changed the angle so the mid pipe was hitting the swingarm. The header/collector pipe on my XJ was one solid piece, an old Yoshimura pipe. Learned my lesson, never tighten those first! I ended up piecing together a spacer from some old Jeep bushings I had. Whatever works, right?

The front end wiring is all back in place. I swapped out the headlight DRL white to orange, to break it up a bit. Looks better. Sunday will be the real test, well, maybe tomorrow if I WFH. If she holds her fluids, I'll be riding to work on Monday for Ride To Work Day. Tires will be ordered soon, so that should be the last major bit.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:03 am

I recruited my step father, who, I believe I've mentioned before. He's from Japan, long time flat track racer, here and there, as well as a damn good mechanic. He's the lead mechanic at our local Trumpet shop. My availability for loud work, test rides, and etc, is slim right now. Can't do that stuff when the kids are in bed; which is when I get most of my free time. So, he offered to assist.

The plugs are indicating a definite lean condition, K&N filter, no fairings, and a full open Delkevic exhaust (no baffle). So, I've ordered a plethora of main jets, and a set of larger pilots. If I can't get this squared away, it's gonna be DooM 2022. =\
-=High Tech / Low Life=-