SECURITY ADVISORY!
On 2020/11/18, suspicions were expressed that there had been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.

As of April 14, 2021, no further breach or news thereof has become apparent. This message just looks different because anyone who was gonna read the whole thing presumably did by now.

Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details, and for how to change your password.
Click Here

Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by Jaeger » Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:21 am

red wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:41 am
I'm hopeful for DooM but also a bit apprehensive. as mentioned before but more so due to running out of time to thoroughly test the bike, as well as the looming threat of another wave of the plague. ...
Yeah, DC just announced they're instituting another indoor mask mandate starting Saturday morning. The Delta variant is apparently spiking around here. I've been fairly lax since getting the shot but I think it's time to mask up again here in NoVA too.

Hopefully we'll get past this wave before the autumn. I really, really don't want to spend another winter isolated in my basement. That would SUUUUUUUCK.

--Jaeger

Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:41 am

Jaeger wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:21 am
red wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:41 am
I'm hopeful for DooM but also a bit apprehensive. as mentioned before but more so due to running out of time to thoroughly test the bike, as well as the looming threat of another wave of the plague. ...
Yeah, DC just announced they're instituting another indoor mask mandate starting Saturday morning. The Delta variant is apparently spiking around here. I've been fairly lax since getting the shot but I think it's time to mask up again here in NoVA too.

Hopefully we'll get past this wave before the autumn. I really, really don't want to spend another winter isolated in my basement. That would SUUUUUUUCK.

--Jaeger

Yup. My work is rolling back to masks for everywhere, vaccinated or not. Also, anyone who isn't vaxxed gets axed soon. We're sending the kids back to school (which isn't requiring masks for kids under 12 WTF????) but I told them they're wearing a mask. Thankfully, the oldest understands. Fucking DooM looks real iffy right now for so many factors. The bike isn't back on the road yet, nor has it been properly tested, the plague, fucking work is stacking on the projects and I'm probably losing my best engineer. To top it all of my fucking back is still giving me grief intermittently but I have start PT again today in about an hour. If I can get the bike on the road, have free time, and be able to feel my feet and legs, I'll probably just go moto camp for a few days in state. I hate that we were so close to getting ahead of this shit be here we are again. My wife had plans to attend a cannabis industry convention in NV but that's out now too. Shit all around.

In bike related news, the bars are on, and all but the throttle cables are routed in a workable fashion. The stock throttle cables are too short and are binding on full lock, regardless of routing path. I ordered a set from Amazon, should be here on Sunday. I hate doing mods to a bike while it's not even on the road, but there's no way I'm going to continue to ride with clip-ons.
PXL_20210728_225121255.jpg
PXL_20210728_225113826.jpg
Nice and wide. Now, if I can drop the pegs an inch, it will be much better!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:37 am

Updates!

1. I'm 100% out for Do0M 21. Rench plans to pick up the goodies I printed on his way to the Portal. I still plan on taking a few days to camp locally.
2. I got the original throttle cables routed in a temp manner that is "ok". I have VFR cables on the way.
3. The bike started without any issues (so far), and I managed to do a few laps on my street. The dirty
bars are freaking great! The bike feels completely different, and way easier to ride. I hate clip-ons.
This was the first and only bike I've had with them. Never again.
4. I bled the front brakes, (needed a longer hose for the bars), and flushed the brown gunk outta the rear.

Once the new throttle cables are on, it will be time for tires and more testing. One step at a time!

**UPDATE**
Took the bike out for a quick fill up, decided to just fart around for about 40 min. The jetting is still off but so far, no more leaking out of 3/4 (probably 3) even after hitting some good bumps, including the one that I could hit and cause the leak. So, I'm hopeful. Some weird stumbling between 5K - 5.5K. It's tolerable but I want it zeroed in. Tired of "good enough".
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:24 pm

Sorry to hear that DOOM is off the calendar for you but I understand completely. Hey the best news is the big is several big steps closer to being what you have been shooting for all this time!
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red

Post by red » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:12 pm

My VFR 800 cables arrived yesterday, should be able to swap them tomorrow evening. It's definitely nice to walk out to the garage and see an assembled motorcycle that I can ride.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:21 am

Ran an errand to the store on the bike, took a short jaunt on the highway on the way home, yeah... jetting is really bad beyond surface street speeds. I found a website that has a jet calculator for the model, mods, and elevation/temp. With my K&N filter and open Delkevic system, it suggests 115 Mains (which I'm running) and 2 shims on the needles. I found the needles and shims from my donor carbs, so I'm going to add the shims and maybe swap in the fresh needles.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:00 am

Shims added (only added 1, so 2 total including stock shim), but the new VFR cables still too fucking short in the throw. Time to take them to a shop for mods, as suggested by BSH. Shoulda just done that with the Amazon cheapies I had last week. Oh well. With dropping DooM from my calendar, the pressure is off, so stress decreased.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Fri Aug 13, 2021 12:28 pm

The single shim helped a little. But while riding around I decided that I actually want to put the baffle in this muffler. It's just too damn loud. I ordered the quiet baffle from Delkevic. Using a jet calculator, with the baffle, I should be able to drop back to stock jetting, with the exception of a larger pilot. I've got everything torn apart and ready for the new parts. We'll see how accurate this jet calculator is.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:00 pm

The "quieter" baffle definitely helps cut out the raspy sound, and decrease the volume to a more acceptable level. The suggested jetting from the calculator was not correct for my bike. I'm assuming it's from other factors like the facto that I'm not running the "snorkels" inside the air box, nor am I running any body work. So, I imagine the bike is getting much more air than stock.

Today, I went out with 115 Main Jet and it's much improved over stock. Tonight, I plan on stepping up to a 118 and test again. I found a great resource for CV carb jetting. http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_tun ... gines.html Most of the docs I found were for mechanical carbs. This is my first foray into jetting and it's definitely some complicated business.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:25 am

I must've rejetted Athena a dozen times. I thinks she was running 125 mains at the end -- with wide-open pipes and K&N pods.

All this reminds me why I'm leaving Lilah alone. ;)

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

red

Post by red » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:44 pm

Yeah, it's not a fast process! Especially since I have to remove the tank, air box, intake "manifold" thingy, then pull the carbs. But, I'm getting pretty fast at it!
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:11 pm

118 Mains are better but still not spot on. I bet the 120s that were in there before are probably right. The lower rpm cruising range is kinda messy a bit, bet I have to pull the 38 mains and go back to 35s, as well as drop the 2nd washer on the needle. I swear this stuff is some sort of black magic, but not to the same degree as designing 2 stroke exhaust systems. That's the work of those in touch with higher (or lower) planes of existence.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:43 am

red wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:44 pm
Yeah, it's not a fast process! Especially since I have to remove the tank, air box, intake "manifold" thingy, then pull the carbs. But, I'm getting pretty fast at it!
See, once you rip out the airbox and use pods (and zipties) it all goes so much faster! :mrgreen: :wink:

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

red

Post by red » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:06 pm

Every experience I've had with pod filters has been terrible. No thanks.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:33 pm

I was hoping to get out tomorrow for some better testing, as my run Friday evening wasn't really long enough for real results. Plus, it had just just sprinkled a bit, and the roads were wet. Didn't want to be running full throttle on my shitty 6 year old tires, making speed runs on the short stretch of slab near my house. Unfortunately, it's supposed to rain until Weds. So I'll have to wait.

I've definitely noticed my "riding muscles and muscle memory" has atrophied. Like the memories are there but the meat doesn't quit have the skills built yet. Plus, the ergos of this bike are weird and it's a short seat. So, my upper body feels like it's on a tall bike, like my Uly, because the dirt bars. But when I put my feet down, they feel too far back, then too close to the ground. But, you gotta work with what you got and what you can afford, right? (Maybe I can score a cheap dual sport bike and start a new project, because that's what I need!)

It was damn nice riding at night, even though the Amazon LED headlight isn't the best. Found out I definitely need to darken the LEDs for the High Beams and Neutral.
FILE2435.JPG
FILE2429.JPG
FILE2461.JPG
FILE2465.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:29 am

My Xterra is now an ex-terra, since it got trashed by a careless driver on Monday evening. Thankfully, everyone is ok but the vehicles.

So, killing two birds with one stone, I took the bike out to run some errands, and got to really test the 118 mains. They're really close but it still has some stumbling. I'll move up to 120s, and test again.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:00 pm

Damn man, glad to hear no-one in the fam got hurt. But silver lining on getting some solid use out of the bike!
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red

Post by red » Sat Sep 04, 2021 5:45 am

Here's what happened, for those that are interested. We were heading northbound (shown in red), uphill, with a moderate left hand turn. The road here is angled downhill, so those driving down hill are in a sketchy state to begin with. A lady was coming south, downhill, too fast for the turn and the road was slightly damp. She crossed the double yellow, and hit us just behind the front driver side wheel. We were up on the passenger side wheels for a bit, caught the guard rail, and slammed back down. If that rail wasn't there, we would have rolled.
Capture.PNG
PXL_20210830_230044464.jpg
PXL_20210830_225633368.jpg
PXL_20210830_230452949_2.jpg
The car market sucks right now, everything is overpriced, has a shitty CVT transmission, or has too many miles. I'm starting hope they don't total it out, then I'll just pursue a diminished value case. I found the same Xterra with 35K more miles than mine had when I bought it in 2019, for $3k more. Fucking crazy.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:28 am

Yeah, not the right time to buy a car.

In fact, I just put a new transmission in my '06 Ridgeline. I considered getting a new truck, but it'd cost me $30-40k to get something comparable or what I want vs.$5k for the truck I have and love that, quite frankly, doesn't get driven enough anyway.

I'm afraid your XTerra is a bit past just a new transmission, tho. Glad you and the fam are safe. That's scary shit.

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

red

Post by red » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:33 pm

Yeah.. fucking dealers are jacking up prices as a "market adjustments". Greedy fuckers. Truck is finally getting towed for inspection. I'm 110% frustrated at car shopping. Every fucking vehicle I'm interested in has some sort of terrible flaw. I may just suck it up and buy the overpriced 2011 Xterra that only has 65k miles on it. Plus, it's through Carvana, and I wanna buy one from the giant vending machine.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:13 pm

red wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:33 pm
Yeah.. fucking dealers are jacking up prices as a "market adjustments". Greedy fuckers.
There's your invisible hand for you.

Idea: maybe contact Nissan, express your tremendous gratitude for how their product saved you and yours from certain death, and your horrible frustration at trying to replace it?
I was thinking maybe a minor hashtag campaign of all Midget Circus performers, outside the circus of course.
Odds that this would go anyplace: loooow.
But who knows. Maybe Nissan, or your local Nissan dealer, would like to advertise how you would rather buy a used Xterra than any other brand new vehicle, and maybe give you if not a discount, then a marginally less disgusting markup?

Having an advertising subject that might let them justify fleecing everybody else might appeal.
If not to Nissan or the Nissan dealer, maybe to one of those "My prices are craaaazy!" used car creeps, if one such happens to have an Xterra crowding their lot? "This man just wanted the car that saved his family once already, and we got it for him, and a good price, when Nissan wouldn't!"

I propose that there is an inherent special dispensation for Midget Circus performers to assist in cage-acquisition in this case.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

red

Post by red » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:37 pm

Found out my truck is at local auto auction place, so I'm guessing it's totaled. No clue what's taking them so fucking long to get it squared away. The Mrs and I are headed there tomorrow to pull the car seats so we can get reimbursed for the new ones. Everything is still too damn expensive. I've got my eye on a 2016 Jetta, so we'd be a full VW house as my wife rolls a dieselgate Jetta Sportwagen. It's no 4wd SUV but it will get me around town and go easy on the petrol.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:44 pm

Yup totaled. I put some funds down on a new ride. I've been driving SUVs in some manner since about 2005, so I decided to change it up as all the 4/AWD stuff is way overpriced. Details to come.

No changes to the Hurricane, haven't touched the jetting or anything else yet. Soon, maybe.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:34 am

I'm enjoying my new ride, picked up a '16 VW Golf TSI. It's a big change from my gas guzzling Xterra but I dig it. We're now a full VW home as my wife has a TDI wagon.

I suppose at some point I'll get the jetting changed but it's low priority right now. The trees are changing, the temp is dropping, and I should be packing for DooM but maybe next year. Assuming this place hasn't gone completely off the rails.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:52 am

It's a cool autumn day, I'm feeling better from my bout with a minor plague, so....garage time! I'm gonna drain and pull the carbs in prep for increasing the main jets. Plus, I need to shuffle crap around in the garage to see if I can fit my lil' hatchback in there over winter. It definitely doesn't take up as much room as my Xterra.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-