SECURITY ADVISORY!
On 2020/11/18, suspicions were expressed that there had been a data breach.
At least some DisMembers' login data may have been compromised.

As of April 14, 2021, no further breach or news thereof has become apparent. This message just looks different because anyone who was gonna read the whole thing presumably did by now.

Please see announcement in Forum Stuff for details, and for how to change your password.
Click Here

eBike obsessed!

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.
DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Re: eBike obsessed!

Post by DerGolgo » Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:11 am

The thought hath occurred.
The blind and visually impaired are often trotted out as an argument why electric vehicles are inherently badevil. Like wind-turbines exist exclusively to wipe out all birds, electric vehicles do absolutely nothing except murderkill the likes of myself.

Quite besides how people with perfect vision are equally affected when they focus their perfect vision on their phone to find the next track to listen to on their noise-cancelling earbuds.

I don't enjoy being trotted out for something that would be relatively simple to fix, so. Allow me to suggest something perhaps worth testing, in the name of road safety.

Setup: a speaker, preferably one that projects sound mostly forward in a Cone Of Unsilence. A playback device and amplifier hooked up to said speaker, and to the bike's electron brains.
The speaker will play back a sound, preferably one in a frequency range that will manifest the most evident doppler shift, most evident to human perception that is.
And that sound should be MUST BE something like this:

Also, while searching for that, I found this other thing, and I just gotta pass it on.
Show

If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

Post by problemaddict » Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:53 am

Haha! That's a good one.

I've been dreaming up a way to implement this, but I've always wanted to use this style:

I believe many places are already legislating that EVs make sounds at slow, parking lot speeds. Unfortunately, you know they won't do it with any whimsy. It'll just be some annoying shhhh shhhh or beep beep noise ☹️

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:38 am

problemaddict wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:53 am
I've been dreaming up a way to implement this, but I've always wanted to use this style:
Ha, that one is good!
problemaddict wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:53 am
I believe many places are already legislating that EVs make sounds at slow, parking lot speeds. Unfortunately, you know they won't do it with any whimsy. It'll just be some annoying shhhh shhhh or beep beep noise ☹️
Hopefully, they will only legislate that there must be a distinct warning tone.
While manufacturers won't with the whimsy - people started hacking their Teslas about five minutes after the first one rolled off of a showroom floor.

Or, speaking of Tesla. If anyone would offer it as an option (option in the settings menu, not a "pay extra" option), it would be Musk, wouldn't it. If he does, well. It's a free market. Other luxury brands probably wouldn't go near it. But something like a two-seat "urban" vehicle. The kind that are already designed and marketed to be "cute" and, indeed, whimsical.
Someone is gonna (I hope).

And it would be perfect. For one, it fits a vehicle moving at speed - which is the kind of vehicle where impact with a pedestrian might maim or kill that pedestrian. Particularly with those ever smaller cars where there is no big, soft (in recent models) bonnet/hood between the front bumper and the big, hard, skull-cracking windscreen. A car moving at parking lot speeds can stop pretty much as quick as the driver can stomp the right pedal. Plus, the very modern sensor-suite on nice cars can recognize the impending impact with a pedestrian and stop the vehicle on the spot.

On top of which, a standardized beep sound would just be confusing as heck and make life more difficult for people like me. When I have to cross a grocery store parking lot, and a half dozen cars are simultaneously driving around it - and they all make the same beeping sound. Ehm. No.

No idea what score would go best with parking-lot speeds. I think music might actually be a good idea there. Not necessarily a proper performance, not Metallica or Miley Cirus. More like one of a few dozen midi tunes. And because everyone is gonna be online anyway, if not on the internet than on a local data-link sort of affair, all the vehicles within so and so many meters, or on the same parking lot, can negotiate who plays what tune. None with the confusion.

At speed, meanwhile. It's gotta be unmistakable, just like the various aspiration, wind, and tire noises of an internal-combustion vehicle are unmistakable.
The BRRP-BRRP made by humans would be far better suited than replaying engine noises.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:00 am

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:55 pm

Some Russian mad scientists have dropped a Nissan Leaf motor in a Triumph frame!

Screenshot_20211103-204709.png

That would be 110kw of power (147 freedom horses) but the bike weighs about 600lbs.

This is exciting to me because I am really interested in the possibilities of junkyard EV builds. I can't wait to get more details on this bike!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:36 am

Sure this is a motorcycle, as in motor-bicycle, and not a motor-unicycle that also happens to have a front wheel just for parking?

A sudden googles tells me a Nissan Leaf gets 320 Nm (236 lb⋅ft). From something like no RPM.
The current model Triumph Rocket 3 has 221 Nm (163 lb⋅ft), and it's gotta spin up to 4,000rpm. For a 291 kg (641.5 lb) bike.

Just numerically. That's 1.5 times the torque/weight of a Rocket 3. In the wheelbase of what looks like a Speed Triple or similar.
And that's 1.5 times the max-torque of the Rocket 3 - and not just in a certain rpm range. But all the time and also always, any time that motor spins. :shock:

When you are further researching this missile, @problemaddict, please keep an eye out for any mention of "traction control", or just an anti-wheely device. That motor and what I assume is the battery pack look pretty big. But 1.5 times the torque of a Rocket 3, with the masses of drivetrain, "fuel" (batteries), and rider much closer to the rear wheel. Not nearly the leverage that the masses of the Rocket 3 have in relation to the rear wheel, so not nearly as much torque required to make the lot rotate around the rear wheel and just lift up. Not like a bird, nor even like a Rocket, nor a Rocket (3). But more like an AA shell...

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:22 am

DerGolgo wrote:
Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:36 am
Sure this is a motorcycle, as in motor-bicycle, and not a motor-unicycle that also happens to have a front wheel just for parking?

A sudden googles tells me a Nissan Leaf gets 320 Nm (236 lb⋅ft). From something like no RPM.
The current model Triumph Rocket 3 has 221 Nm (163 lb⋅ft), and it's gotta spin up to 4,000rpm. For a 291 kg (641.5 lb) bike.

Just numerically. That's 1.5 times the torque/weight of a Rocket 3. In the wheelbase of what looks like a Speed Triple or similar.
And that's 1.5 times the max-torque of the Rocket 3 - and not just in a certain rpm range. But all the time and also always, any time that motor spins. :shock:

When you are further researching this missile, @problemaddict, please keep an eye out for any mention of "traction control", or just an anti-wheely device. That motor and what I assume is the battery pack look pretty big. But 1.5 times the torque of a Rocket 3, with the masses of drivetrain, "fuel" (batteries), and rider much closer to the rear wheel. Not nearly the leverage that the masses of the Rocket 3 have in relation to the rear wheel, so not nearly as much torque required to make the lot rotate around the rear wheel and just lift up. Not like a bird, nor even like a Rocket, nor a Rocket (3). But more like an AA shell...
Yeah, based on the first iterations of your homebrew e-Bikes... doing that with a full-size motorcycle would go very poorly. :shock:

Still... I'd at least want to try riding it... :mrgreen:

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Wed Dec 15, 2021 6:38 pm

Alta is back? Well, no, but a very similarly spec'd bike is coming real soon:

The Stark Varg (means Strong Wolf). This doesn't seem to be the typical vaporware media hype, but we'll see. Claims are 80 horsepower and 6 hrs of "trail riding". I"m gonna call some bullshit there. The 80hp number is probably a burst-power figure. Like 10 seconds then the power drops back down to 55hp or whatever. And the "trail riding" for 6hrs is probably at a 20mph pace. I'll be interested to see the real-world tests and instrumented tests.

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:56 am