LOGIN ISSUES
Because I've presently got technical incompetences with the board, password resets presently do not work automatic like.
If you can't login, click here please.
Show
If you have any problem logging in, please don't bother waiting and get in touch. Email right to the usual address (admin at...), use the contact form (bottom of index and most other pages), post in the Midget Circus, or message me directly on Facebook.
I should get the message within a few hours, but under rare circumstances, it might take me a day.

If you can login no problem, but you wish to avoid problem, try checking the "Remember Me" box where you login. I've meddled with the settings there, so even if you return here only once every couple of weeks, it should remember you fine. Provided you have cookies enabled.

If it won't remember you, and you want to be sure any failure to remember is actually such and not just an oops, please read the following (click the bar to make it "show").
Important infos about cookies
Show
To be remembered, you must have cookies enabled in your browser. Some people prefer using "private" browsing mode - which precludes cookies being placed on your device in the first place.
Some people use regular browsing mode, but may have chosen to disable all cookies in their settings. Sometimes, these people will end up tearing their hair out because a lot of websites just don't work at all, like many online stores, as many e-commerce platforms don't do bugger all without using cookies.
Me, I've got "Self-Destructing Cookies" plugins in my various browsers. Which lets me accept all cookies everywhere, smug in the knowledge that they will be deleted the instant I close that browser tab. I can even set it to delete the cookies only when I close the whole browser window, which is helpful with online stores.
And I can whitelist sites like the board, so the plugin doesn't mess with those cookies at all.

And you must use the same browser, on the same machine. Unless you're using something like a cookie manager that syncs to all your devices and things, your apple browser on your ipad won't have the delicious cookies chrome has on your PC. And unless google now manages cookies between your devices (who knows what the fuck they do), even chrome on your Android won't have the same cookies as chrome on your notebook, or chrome on your other Android.
If you wish to discuss this, follow this link.

SECURITY WHATNOW?
Once upon a when, we've had a data breach (maybe).
Click here if you don't know what that's about.
Show
If you've visited the forum at any time after November 18, 2020, you will have seen the message about a supposed data breach that may have exposed passwords. I know you will have seen it because, until today, there was a big general announcement right at the top of the everything.
Seeing how it's been nearly 18 months since that, with no further alarms getting rung, and how everyone has had 758,214 opportunities to take a minute to think about the security of their passwords, I've taken that notice down.
Follow this link for all the info that has transpired about the whole mess.

You may dismiss this message by clicking the dark X in the top right hand corner. You may have to mouse-over to see it. I assure you it's there.

Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Thu May 05, 2022 1:14 pm

Sent the info... no response. Found another possible cable set that may swap in, used on eBay. Sent an offer.

Went to see what I have to work with on the broken heated grip wire (at the grip heater), and damn it, I broke the other!
As The Thing (rock man, not shape shifting alien) says, "It's SOLDERING time!".

No, wait, I don't think that's correct.

Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Fri May 27, 2022 8:05 am

eBay seller never replied to any of my questions or offers. However, MotionPro did finally reply, and my order has been submitted. No clue on turn-around time yet (Update: 2-4 weeks). Once the cables are on, it's back to dialing in the carbs. One problem with all this carb pulling is that the brass "locking" tabs that cover the bolt heads are starting to get very weak. They attach the intake plate (?) to the carb bodies, and keep the bolts from backing out. So, I'm gonna try clear nail polish, or elmers glue; both were suggested for this type of low torque application.

While digging around eBay yesterday, I managed to score a pair of Aerostich Darien pants in my size for $72! I had a pair of AD1 pants that I loved, wore them riding, hiking, working in the garage, and in the snow. Sold them when I cleaned out my gear after selling the XJ. These don't have all the fancy pockets but they're still Gore-Tex. Now, I just need some new boots.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

Post by problemaddict » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:57 am

Check shopgoodwill.com for gear. I scored a set of new looking SIDIs for like $40 shipped. Recently scored a Fox motocross jersey and pants for $50...
They don't have much moto stuff but what you find us usually a score.

red

Post by red » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:37 am

problemaddict wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:57 am
Check shopgoodwill.com for gear. I scored a set of new looking SIDIs for like $40 shipped. Recently scored a Fox motocross jersey and pants for $50...
They don't have much moto stuff but what you find us usually a score.
Holy crap, thanks! I had completely forgotten about that site! I just put a bid on some Frank Thomas boots, and a waterproof jacket from Icon!

Also, my throttle cables should be delivered today, by the big brown truck of happiness. Hopefully I'll get to test fit them tonight, and maybe even fire up the bike over lunch tomorrow. *fingers crossed*
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:41 am

Got the throttle cables installed last night, after a few different routing attempts to avoid binding. Nice and snappy. Then, had to take them off to lube them. Used a trick from MC Garage, with a plastic bag and rubberband.

It worked great! I used some high end Dupont dry film lubricant that I've used on my 3d printers. Cables are back in, and the bike is ready for some fresh fuel and maybe a test ride today. Probably should dig out my riding gear..
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:56 am

Dude this is awesome news!
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red

Post by red » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:01 am

Managed to squeeze in a quick ride around the 'hood. Went to the gas station, and ran out of gas as I rolled in. What luck!

Jetting is definitely still off. Initially, I had put a second washer under the needle and I think that may be part of my issue, so I'm going to remove it and then go back to testing the mains, then to the next stage.

For anyone needing CV tuning, check this out:

http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_tun ... gines.html

Also, holy shit it's terrible outside. 94F and 1000% humidity. One day, I'll wise up and buy mesh gear.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:29 am

I rode to work yesterday, rode at lunch, and took the long way home. Jetting is definitely still wrong, and damn that pipe is loud, even with the baffle. I found a crusty OEM exhaust on eBay that I am STRONGLY considering, then just revert to stock jetting and see how it goes.

I'm also struggling with the desire to just go buy a fucking KLR and shove the CBR in the shed.

Or... there's a 2007 Ural Tourist for sale locally. Always wanted a side car rig, kids are getting big enough to ride along....
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

Post by problemaddict » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:53 am

One at a time!!

(Do as i say, not as i do! :D)

red

Post by red » Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:15 pm

The Ural sold right before we got there. ☹️ The Himalayan is snazzy but, I couldn't do it. I did however, order the exhaust from eBay.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:42 am

red wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:15 pm
The Ural sold right before we got there. ☹️ The Himalayan is snazzy but, I couldn't do it. I did however, order the exhaust from eBay.
Himalayan? Like the Enfield? I tried of the 500 bullets a while back and it didn't have enough ass to get out of its own way -- at least on American highways.

Pity about the Ural tho. And yeah, dropping the dime on a KLR or the like will probably be a more efficient use of your time and treasure. ;)

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

red

Post by red » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:28 am

I just tested out 125 mains, seemed a bit better but regardless, I'm ditching this squid exhaust. So I'll probably strip the exhaust off tonight or tomorrow and revert the jetting back to stock. The crusty OEM exhaust should be here Monday, along with the exhaust gaskets. I'll have to sand and paint it quickly and get everything assembled as I have a 2 day window (July 2-3) to do whatever the hell I want. I'd prefer that to be riding but if I can't get it all done, I may settle for a car camping trip.

@Jaeger , Yes the Royal Enfield. I didn't even test ride it but keep in mind, I'm a scrawny little man, so most bikes don't even know I'm there.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:56 am

Got the factory exhaust cleaned up, painted, and installed yesterday, as well as the carb jetting back to stock. So, besides the K&N filter, the bike is back to stock fuel/air setup. Just ran the first heat cycle to cure the ceramic coating. It's definitely quieter but not quiet, not like modern bikes! I like the look of the factory exhaust, it just fits better than the big chrome fart can. Updates to come later today.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:55 am

Jetting feels better in some places, worse in others. I managed to track down an OEM style paper filter, it should be here next week. That will put it back to complete stock. If issues persist, then at least I'll know it's not the jetting!

(The BMW G310GS is looking mighty nice right now.)
-=High Tech / Low Life=-