LOGIN ISSUES
Because I've presently got technical incompetences with the board, password resets presently do not work automatic like.
If you can't login, click here please.
Show
If you have any problem logging in, please don't bother waiting and get in touch. Email right to the usual address (admin at...), use the contact form (bottom of index and most other pages), post in the Midget Circus, or message me directly on Facebook.
I should get the message within a few hours, but under rare circumstances, it might take me a day.

If you can login no problem, but you wish to avoid problem, try checking the "Remember Me" box where you login. I've meddled with the settings there, so even if you return here only once every couple of weeks, it should remember you fine. Provided you have cookies enabled.

If it won't remember you, and you want to be sure any failure to remember is actually such and not just an oops, please read the following (click the bar to make it "show").
Important infos about cookies
Show
To be remembered, you must have cookies enabled in your browser. Some people prefer using "private" browsing mode - which precludes cookies being placed on your device in the first place.
Some people use regular browsing mode, but may have chosen to disable all cookies in their settings. Sometimes, these people will end up tearing their hair out because a lot of websites just don't work at all, like many online stores, as many e-commerce platforms don't do bugger all without using cookies.
Me, I've got "Self-Destructing Cookies" plugins in my various browsers. Which lets me accept all cookies everywhere, smug in the knowledge that they will be deleted the instant I close that browser tab. I can even set it to delete the cookies only when I close the whole browser window, which is helpful with online stores.
And I can whitelist sites like the board, so the plugin doesn't mess with those cookies at all.

And you must use the same browser, on the same machine. Unless you're using something like a cookie manager that syncs to all your devices and things, your apple browser on your ipad won't have the delicious cookies chrome has on your PC. And unless google now manages cookies between your devices (who knows what the fuck they do), even chrome on your Android won't have the same cookies as chrome on your notebook, or chrome on your other Android.
If you wish to discuss this, follow this link.

SECURITY WHATNOW?
Once upon a when, we've had a data breach (maybe).
Click here if you don't know what that's about.
Show
If you've visited the forum at any time after November 18, 2020, you will have seen the message about a supposed data breach that may have exposed passwords. I know you will have seen it because, until today, there was a big general announcement right at the top of the everything.
Seeing how it's been nearly 18 months since that, with no further alarms getting rung, and how everyone has had 758,214 opportunities to take a minute to think about the security of their passwords, I've taken that notice down.
Follow this link for all the info that has transpired about the whole mess.

You may dismiss this message by clicking the dark X in the top right hand corner. You may have to mouse-over to see it. I assure you it's there.

Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:27 am

My shift shaft seal was weeping a bit of oil, so I replaced it last weekend while I was changing the oil. It's actually leaking more with the new OEM seal, so I'm thinking either there's a rough spot on the shaft, or maybe the inner lip part is folded. So, I picked up a replacement today, and did some highway testing, a bit in some light rain. Bike is running well. DooM clock is ticking... 46 days, 17 hours.

I'm thinking about adding some handguards before the trip, I really liked having them in 2015 on the XJ. Guards + heated grips, makes for warm hands.

Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:23 am

Shafts, lips, inner folds, something else on your mind Red LMAO
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

red

Post by red » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:43 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:23 am
Shafts, lips, inner folds, something else on your mind Red LMAO
Dammit BSH, stop, you're getting me all flustered.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:24 am

When I initially started reviving this bike, I called it Project LoL (Lots of Leaks). Well, that shit still pops up, like the random dribble of coolant that was under my bike, about the size of 2 quarters, with a drip on the bottom of the stator cover. However, when I pulled the tank and looked all over, no obvious source could be found. Fearing it was head gasket leak (with no real reason to suspect this besides my generalized anxiety), I got out my cheap fiber camera and ran it into the engine case. Oil looks good, no milkshake of death, no foam; same with the overflow and radiator. So, I'm guessing it's a drip from a hose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I'm gonna burp the radiator this week, and just go with it. If it dies on the way to/from DooM, so be it.
20220821_20_08_10.jpg
20220821_20_08_38.jpg
20220821_20_09_09.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:13 pm

If it dies on the way to DOOM, it would be a noble and honorable death. Better that than stripped in a junkyard or wrapped with stunter's cages.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

Post by problemaddict » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:13 am

itll-be-fine-okay-anime-irl-35945184.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

red

Post by red » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:35 am

Better to let it die on the road, the rust in a garage!

Took it out today over lunch, no mysterious leaks (yet). So, like I said, just rolling with it.

I have 2 items needed for my trip, a folding camping table, and a set of hand guards for the bike. All the other stuff is ready (except my gear at the tailor shop). 43 days....

Oh @problemaddict , any ideas for a lasered gift for Miss Kitty's birthday? Maybe a plague, wait, I mean plaque?
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

Post by problemaddict » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:27 am

I have no idea re: gift. I'm not real good in that department in general.
Maybe ask BDB? She talked to Miss Kitty a bunch & might have some insight.

red

Post by red » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:23 am

problemaddict wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:27 am
I have no idea re: gift. I'm not real good in that department in general.
Maybe ask BDB? She talked to Miss Kitty a bunch & might have some insight.
Ok, I'll ping her on FB and see. Thanks!
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:06 am

New shift shaft seal is holding it's oil, printed a new mount for my USB power / voltmeter (which I had to replace), and added some el-cheap handguards from Amazon.
PXL_20220827_210633908.jpg
PXL_20220827_210022415.jpg
PXL_20220827_203520159.jpg
All my stuff for Do0M is ready to go, just need to get to the date without any life issues popping up!
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:19 am

Now that this CBR is finished, you can start looking for another project bike and do this...
https://www.bikebound.com/2022/08/28/cbr-tracker/
-Davros

red

Post by red » Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:46 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:19 am
Now that this CBR is finished, you can start looking for another project bike and do this...
https://www.bikebound.com/2022/08/28/cbr-tracker/
Oh no, no more multi-cylinder project bikes. Any additional bikes will preferably be single cylinder, unless it's a Ural and that's a whole different kind of self abuse. And with the life changes going on right now, it will be me and the CBR for a long time.

I kinda like that CBR tracker, kinda. Then again, look at the monstrosity I created, style clearly isn't my area of expertise.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:25 am

Had to run a quick errand today, decided to take the bike and try to beat the rain (goretex gear is still at the tailor). I noticed my trip meter was at 130 miles, and since I had never ran it to reserve, I decided to try and accomplish that as well. With errands complete and the bike still on the main supply, I headed home. Just before pulling on to my street, the bike dies. 139 miles of mixed riding before I have to switch to reserve.

4.4 gallon tank
0.8 reserve
3.6 main, at 139 miles is what, approx 36.58MPG. Seems low, but I've been riding in higher RPMs, my jetting is a bit richer than stock, and I'm betting the bikes on Fuelly still have their fairings and aren't hauling around 20lbs of Pelican cases fully loaded.

Now that I think about it, I got about 140 miles before switching to reserve on my XJ600. I remember coming home from DooM15, riding on US32 into a nasty headwind, at full tuck, at slightly enhanced speeds. Ran outta gas at about 100 miles, and barely, just barely made it to the next station.

Also, I've started referring to the Hurricane as the ADVCBR for funsies.

T-Minus 23 days and 19 hours!
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Bigshankhank

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:54 pm

I seem to recall my old XJ550 was getting around 45mpg in pretty much bone stock configuration, so considering yours has a larger engine, more aggressive jetting and the big yellow bricks you mounted on both sides doesn't seem like 37 is too nutrageous.
Dude I am so jealous you are getting to go to DOOM this year. Live the dream man!
-Davros

red

Post by red » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:06 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:54 pm
I seem to recall my old XJ550 was getting around 45mpg in pretty much bone stock configuration, so considering yours has a larger engine, more aggressive jetting and the big yellow bricks you mounted on both sides doesn't seem like 37 is too nutrageous.
Dude I am so jealous you are getting to go to DOOM this year. Live the dream man!
I've been on the fence about going because there's a lot of stuff going on in my personal life, and taking 5 days off to go ride motorbikes with friends felt/feels like something I can't do right now. But it's been approved by all required parties, and may very well be the last non kid related thing I get to do for some time, so tick tock, I hit the road in 19 days, 22 hrs.

I'm redirecting my apprehension about my first solo trip into obsessively over planning! Got my return trip camp site booked but the one for my first day on the road is first come first serve. Let's hope the weather holds out because 5 days or riding in the rain would fucking suck. Decided to add a detour on the way home, down to Point Pleasant, WV to check out the Moth Man Museum, and ride over the Silver Bridge.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:23 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:54 pm
FWIW I'm getting ~40mpg on Lilah with me riding her like a total asshole. Then again, I expect a more efficient engine and fuel injection would help. :mrgreen:

And fuck yeah! Wish you could be there BSH! Been too goddamn long -- since November of 2016 IIRC. ;)

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

red

Post by red » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:32 am

@Jaeger Did you get those camo bags mounted up? I have a few personal items to gather, then I'll be all set. All I need to do stuff my sleeping bag in the big dry sack, right before I leave. 17 days, 19hrs.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:17 am

red wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:32 am
@Jaeger Did you get those camo bags mounted up? I have a few personal items to gather, then I'll be all set. All I need to do stuff my sleeping bag in the big dry sack, right before I leave. 17 days, 19hrs.
Not quite yet -- I do think I need to score some brackets to make sure they don't get caught in anything. I'm not sure they'll fit on the starboard side with the pipes, but the port side certainly will -- I just need to pull the trigger on brackets, which I've been loathe to do until I get some clients to fucking pay me! :P

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

red

Post by red » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:35 am

Jaeger wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:17 am
red wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:32 am
Not quite yet -- I do think I need to score some brackets to make sure they don't get caught in anything. I'm not sure they'll fit on the starboard side with the pipes, but the port side certainly will -- I just need to pull the trigger on brackets, which I've been loathe to do until I get some clients to fucking pay me! :P

--Jaeger
Come on now... If I recall correctly, there is a Home Depot not far from you. Pick up some flat aluminum and get to bending! It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:37 am

My gear is back from the tailor, pants are shorter, sleeves are longer. Gonna revisit all my stuff, see what I can do without, and make sure I'm not missing anything vital. Then get it all packed up.

It's crazy how much extra stuff I have since I'm camping a few nights. If I wasn't, I'd basically need the side cases only and even then they would have empty space. Hauling your living quarters takes up series space. Granted, I'm carrying more stuff than when I used to back pack. Bigger cook set, tools (soo many tools), flat kit, and etc. I'm also carrying a milsurp bivy incase I need to ground camp.

I'm hoping my ass, legs, knees, arms, and back aren't too damn sore from folding myself up on this bike, so I can ride on Sat to the toll bridge and fart around on part of the MABDR.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:11 am

With my bike 98% packed up and ready to rock, I figured, why the hell not pull the seat and recover/repad it! 8 days and 19 hours, plenty of time!

Really, I was riding, and my chilly cheeks (ass, not face) reminded me that my seat pad is for hot weather, so it moves a lot of air. So, a trip to the fabric store, and Menards, for vinyl and staples will be in order after work today. I knew I should have ordered that swanky snake print vinyl a few months ago... Knowing me and my excellent taste in style, I'll definitely find something terrible and gawdy.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:25 am

The process has begun. My seat pad just had a single layer of closed cell foam, from a camping mat. So, I added a second layer, which gives me a little more seat height, and in turn, may help my knees a bit. Next step is to add a layer of 1/4 sewing foam, or something suitable, then the marine grade vinyl cover and some staples. The original seat foam is so soft, that after riding for about 30-40 min, I swear I could feel the seat pan.
PXL_20220927_205337931.jpg
PXL_20220928_013821487.jpg
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:29 pm

Asspad Mk2, now with more ass coverage!
PXL_20220928_201633775.jpg
I picked up the vinyl, and some EVA foam to do an overwrap, but ran out of time to pick up staples. Once this version is dry, it's trimming, then EVA wrap and more drying. I may not tackle the vinyl until this weekend when I can really devote full attention to it.
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

red

Post by red » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:17 am

Well, it's done. It wasn't terrible but wasn't easy. Would have been much better with a pneumatic stapler, that's for damn sure. The rider seating area has a layer of 1/2 inch closed cell foam (walmart camping mat), then a layer of EVA foam (2mm). Pro tip, don't use contact cement with EVA foam, it gets... melty. The vinyl is marine grade, maroon, not really red like the pics. There are a few less than stellar spots on the sides, where the belt thing used to be, and on the front corners. I can fix them later. Works for now.
PXL_20220929_173844520.jpg
PXL_20220929_173857134.jpg
PXL_20220929_175442287.jpg
PXL_20220929_175446038.jpg
PXL_20220929_175527428_2.jpg

Good enough!
-=High Tech / Low Life=-