LOGIN ISSUES
Because I've presently got technical incompetences with the board, password resets presently do not work automatic like.
If you can't login, click here please.
Show
If you have any problem logging in, please don't bother waiting and get in touch. Email right to the usual address (admin at...), use the contact form (bottom of index and most other pages), post in the Midget Circus, or message me directly on Facebook.
I should get the message within a few hours, but under rare circumstances, it might take me a day.

If you can login no problem, but you wish to avoid problem, try checking the "Remember Me" box where you login. I've meddled with the settings there, so even if you return here only once every couple of weeks, it should remember you fine. Provided you have cookies enabled.

If it won't remember you, and you want to be sure any failure to remember is actually such and not just an oops, please read the following (click the bar to make it "show").
Important infos about cookies
Show
To be remembered, you must have cookies enabled in your browser. Some people prefer using "private" browsing mode - which precludes cookies being placed on your device in the first place.
Some people use regular browsing mode, but may have chosen to disable all cookies in their settings. Sometimes, these people will end up tearing their hair out because a lot of websites just don't work at all, like many online stores, as many e-commerce platforms don't do bugger all without using cookies.
Me, I've got "Self-Destructing Cookies" plugins in my various browsers. Which lets me accept all cookies everywhere, smug in the knowledge that they will be deleted the instant I close that browser tab. I can even set it to delete the cookies only when I close the whole browser window, which is helpful with online stores.
And I can whitelist sites like the board, so the plugin doesn't mess with those cookies at all.

And you must use the same browser, on the same machine. Unless you're using something like a cookie manager that syncs to all your devices and things, your apple browser on your ipad won't have the delicious cookies chrome has on your PC. And unless google now manages cookies between your devices (who knows what the fuck they do), even chrome on your Android won't have the same cookies as chrome on your notebook, or chrome on your other Android.
If you wish to discuss this, follow this link.

SECURITY WHATNOW?
Once upon a when, we've had a data breach (maybe).
Click here if you don't know what that's about.
Show
If you've visited the forum at any time after November 18, 2020, you will have seen the message about a supposed data breach that may have exposed passwords. I know you will have seen it because, until today, there was a big general announcement right at the top of the everything.
Seeing how it's been nearly 18 months since that, with no further alarms getting rung, and how everyone has had 758,214 opportunities to take a minute to think about the security of their passwords, I've taken that notice down.
Follow this link for all the info that has transpired about the whole mess.

You may dismiss this message by clicking the dark X in the top right hand corner. You may have to mouse-over to see it. I assure you it's there.

eBike obsessed!

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Re: eBike obsessed!

Post by Jaeger » Thu May 26, 2022 6:37 am

Check this out:
RadioFreeLiberty wrote:Ukraine's Electric Cavalry: The E-Bikes Being Used In Battle
Ukrainian fighters are ushering in a new era of battlefield tactics by using powerful locally designed electric bikes.

The image below of a packaged NLAW anti-tank missile mounted to what looks like an off-road motorcycle in Ukraine is causing a buzz in tech media. The two-wheeled vehicle is, in fact, an electric bicycle, and represents a historic tactical advancement in warfare

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-electri ... 65559.html

--Jaeger

Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

problemaddict
Captain of the UTMC Fighter Squadron

Post by problemaddict » Thu May 26, 2022 7:10 am

How about that! That is a very standard style of ebike frame known as an Electric Enduro Bike (EEB). You can buy the batter frame for around $400 then add componentry to your liking:

Or buy complete. The Delfast shown is just one of many, many companies offering them. Usually from $3000-7000 usd

Edit:
Aaaaand, I guess I won't ever be buying anything from Eleek.
Eleek's military e-bikes have been nicknamed "Bandero-bikes," after Stepan Bandera, a far-right Ukrainian nationalist and Nazi collaborator.
And that reminds me of just how happy I am that we're involved in this conflict ☹️

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:27 pm

image_2022-06-03_011829844.png

Five years ago I started messing with ebikes and bought my first motor. This "LeafMotor 1500w" hub motor. This past weekend, after many abusive sessions of forcing massive amounts of power thru this thing, I had a failure. :( Funny part is, it happened on a ride where my wife accompanied me for the first time on an eBike ride. She was riding my other ebike. We averaged a whopping 12mph on this 20mi ride. yeah, we were taking it easy.

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZdKus8A6EF0?feature=share

So, why did it fail? Heat is the killer of most battery motivated machines like this. I think I got it too hot a couple years ago while trying my 55+mph speed runs. Trying to push 8000w thru a 1500w motor will generate quite a lot of heat. I've seen over 90degC when pointing a IR thermometer at the motor's case. What that could mean for the actual internal temp of the motor windings? They were fucking HOT. But the motor seemed not to care. I continued riding and tuning and commuting on the bike for the last couple years with no problems.

So, what happend on this tame ride w/ my lady? The only thing I can think of is that at one point I was doing a few little jumps over some big speed bumps in a parking lot. I don't usually jump this bike over curbs or anything. I think that years ago, during high power testing, I got the thing hot enough to degrade the epoxy that holds the magnets to the motor case. Then, when doing those jumps the other day it was enough of a shock to break the epoxy's hold and cause the magnets to spin around inside the case and make that godawful noise.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xe3R8HFd7SiWXyMB7

Oh well, I guess the media tags don't work for YT Shorts or Google Photo links. Just click and watch, they're quick little vids

To remedy the situation I will need to VERY carefully remove all the magnets, clean the magnets and case THOROUGHLY and re-glue them into place. I've ordered some very expensive 3M epoxy called DP420 ($25 for 1.5oz) and that should set me straight as long as I can do all this without cracking the very brittle and fragile magnets...

The magnets line the motor case. You shouldn't be able to move them at all. They moved with very little pressure from this nylon tool:

image_2022-06-03_011417841.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:52 am

I didn't bother to go dig up the old Confederate thread, but... damnation, JT is starting to look old! Then again, I guess we all are. :shock:

https://thevintagent.com/2022/06/02/ele ... terviewed/

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:49 am

Speak for yourself! I'm looking like a spring chicken over here! 🐔
:mrgreen:

I started cleaning the motor and magnets. The epoxy has arrived as well, so it won't be long, now. I marked all the magnets and lined them up on a metal rod. They are arranged in a specific North South North South orientation that must be maintained. And none of them broke!

PXL_20220610_004134273-01_copy_829x622.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:08 am

FB mrktplce find. Looks cool, but old ev tech. Brushed motor & lead acid batteries :yuck:

Screenshot_20220707-090134.png

Screenshot_20220707-090157.png

Screenshot_20220707-090246.png

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:14 am

Looks like a great project bike for someone who can already wrench a bit and wants to learn electric-bike from the inside.
For starters, replacing the batteries, of course.

Playing around with some numbers a little. Assuming high-discharge batteries, like LG HG2. Advertised with 20A max continuous discharge. String up (or whatever you call that) 20 of those in line for 72V, assuming the nominal battery voltage of 3.7V. At full charge, that would be 84V, of course, so I wonder if 72V is the absolute maximum or the nominal for the existing controller and motor.
If it is the maximum, let's put only 17 in line, for 71.4V.

At 71.4V, a 30kW motor would yank a hair over 420 Amps (nice), requiring a hair over 21 such string of 17 batteries in line. Assuming one would want a safety margin and draw, say, only 15A from each string, that would be 28 such, for 476 batteries.
Would be tight, but I think it would still leave some useful volume for cargo space.
Looking at the smaller end of standard dimensions for car batteries, and the way those are arranged here.
18650 batteries oriented vertical, you could just fit three layers, accounting only for the height of these lead-acid blocks.
On each level, from left to right, you could fit 12 rows, and those could extend 21 batteries deep, front to back.
That would be 756 18650s max, and even leave just a little breathing room.
Just on the lower level here.

At 3,000 mAh per battery, or 3 Ah, that would be 1,428 Amp hours total charge.
Even when discharging at "only" 15A, I'm guessing some heat-management would be required.
At 4A max charging current per battery, distributed over 28 parallel strings, it'd take an unfortunate 12 hours and 45 minutes for a full charge (disregarding thermal losses).

Now, when I try and convert those 1,428Ah to kWh, I'm getting a number that just seems way, way too big, 101 and change.
Who can spot the elemental and trivial error I made?

As for the brushed motor. I'd imagine one might want to first convert the batteries, and then ride it a bit to see if the motor is too much, too little, etc. So that, when the brushes need replacing, one has a good idea what brushless motor one might want to install in its stead.

Of course, one could probably convert some cheap bike with a busted IC engine, and the effort would not be much greater. But I felt like playing with the numbers. :P
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:51 am

You're on the right track with your numbers, but here's how you get KWh:

756 divided by 20 (72v would be nominal, that means a string of 20 cells) equals 37.8, so let's go with 37 cells in parallel. This battery would commonly be referred to a "20s37p".

37 x 3ah equals 111Ah battery. Take that 111Ah multiplied by the nominal voltage of 72v gets you 7.992KWh

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:09 am

problemaddict wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:51 am
You're on the right track with your numbers, but here's how you get KWh:

756 divided by 20 (72v would be nominal, that means a string of 20 cells) equals 37.8, so let's go with 37 cells in parallel. This battery would commonly be referred to a "20s37p".

37 x 3ah equals 111Ah battery. Take that 111Ah multiplied by the nominal voltage of 72v gets you 7.992KWh
I'm confuddled.
We got 20 cells in line to form a string. We put 37 such strings parallel to each other. That'd be a total of 740 cells. Each with a nominal capacity of 3 Ah.
How is that not 740 * 3 Ah = 2,220 Ah?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:21 am

Because series strings only increase voltage, the Ah stays the same.

If you put 100 3.7v 3ah cells in series, you now have a 370v 3ah battery.

If you put 100 3ah cells in parallel, you get a 3.7v 300ah battery.

Both of these batteries are 1.11Kwh batteries. They have the same total capacity.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:40 pm

problemaddict wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:21 am
Because series strings only increase voltage, the Ah stays the same.
Huh.
I'm wondering if my personal experience might be weirding me here because I don't charge my 18650s in series. Nor in parallel. The battery charger recognized battery types and provides discrete charging current on each slot.

But even when charging/discharging in series all the time. I just can't brain the chemistry here.
Each cell has x amount of cathode material, y amount of anode material, z amount of electrolyte in between. It takes π ampere hours to shuffle the electrons around and build up a charge. How does that not happen here?

If all you got is "that's all I got", I'll just take your word for it. I passed the finals for the mandatory electrical-things course without even trying to solve any of the three-phase-current problems. As far as I'm concerned, those are like sewing machines. Black magic that has no right to work, but does, regardless. This here would be just another one of those.

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:31 pm

Yeah, I don't know how the chemistry works. That's just the way it works.

Just as an exercise to check my work, you can look to the Tesla P100. The 100 stands for 100kwh. Yet the pack is made up of 8256 individual 18650 cells at, I think, 3400mah each.

You can think about it from the "work" side of the equation:
If you hooked both those 1.11kwh batteries above to a motor (in a theoretical world without losses and inefficiencies, e
blah blah blah) they would both run for exactly the same amount of time. It's just that the 370v battery would spin the motor very fast, yet use very little amps. While the 3.7v battery would spin the motor very slow and use a lot of amps.

It's taken me years to get this shit straight in my head, and still, I've had to check my work several times while typing out these last few posts. It's all very confusing.

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:44 pm

Earlier this afternoon I found a goddamn eBike PLAYGROUND. It's a local state park that is kinda *junky*? There's a few abandoned houses on the property, a few completely rusted out cars from the 50s, and a bunch of broken up asphalt roads.

It seems like the local mountain bikers just went crazy with trail building in the park. There's tons of steep elevation changes. My cardio isn't up to that challenge, but these trails are fucking eBike HEAVEN!

Extreme UP-hill biking was the call of the day, and every trail I took was more fun than the last.

Pictures don't do it justice. I'll have to go back with a chest-cam. The Stumpjumper ebike did awesome here, but I did damage the motor's chain tensioner at one point. I bent it back, but feel like it's ready to break at any point. I really need some sort of bashguard for the bottom of the bike.

Anyway, I took some pix. This bike sucks for pics. It really needs some color to help it pop...

PXL_20220710_213731176_copy_752x564.jpg

PXL_20220710_214756700_copy_790x592.jpg

PXL_20220710_221120754_copy_770x577.jpg

PXL_20220710_222935609_copy_576x768.jpg

PXL_20220710_223430418_copy_766x574.jpg

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:31 am

Death to Petrol: Untitled’s electric supermoto concept

LINK TO STORY: https://www.bikeexif.com/electric-motor ... t-untitled

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:07 am

Fun looking runabout!

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:18 pm

Your e-mtn bike is awesome, with a portable solar panel would be a great post apocalypse travel option! If I tried to ride a mountain bike on a trail (ok, maybe even just a regular bike on the street), I'm pretty sure I would die.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Sprawl Bike
-=High Tech / Low Life=-

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:08 pm

The "future" is NOW.

45 minutes of Hard Enduro on an e-moto. An Electric Motion bike.
The last ten minutes look like hell. That'd be a NOPE from me...

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:55 am

And I hear all these folks telling me that riding in the dirt is safer?!

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:17 am

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:28 pm

problemaddict wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 4:17 am
Ebike snowplow

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... eCTnxVk_9A
OK, that's fuckin' nuts. I like and admire it, but... totally bonkers. :shock:

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:34 pm

This thing here is also bonkers. I'd really love to play with one of these Razor bike toys to make one silly fast. But I just have no reason to. Luckily I can live vicariously through nutjobs like the guy who built this:

Screenshot_20221219-144055.png

His recent accomplishment? 102mph, on a fucking modified TOY dirt bike with 10 inch rims. And I thought 55mph on a BMX was crazy.

Screenshot_20221229-120713.png

What that bike started life as:

Screenshot_20221229-202600.png

https://www.instagram.com/mini_ron33

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:14 am

:shock:

That is so wrong on so many different levels... I love it. I don't know if I'd ride it, but I love it. :mrgreen:

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:43 am

I love stumbling into the crazy build on Endless Sphere. I was following some battery related threads when this guy posted about his "Hill climbing bicycle". It piqued my interest, I clicked thru and see this:

hillclimb-ebike.jpg

Dudes trying to build a bike that can climb a 15% grade using a little RC type motor (the silver thing on the swingarm by the shock). I still have to read thru the thread to see how he's gotten on...

I just love the look of Frankenstein builds!

Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple

Post by Jaeger » Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:35 pm

problemaddict wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:43 am
...Dudes trying to build a bike that can climb a 15% grade using a little RC type motor (the silver thing on the swingarm by the shock). I still have to read thru the thread to see how he's gotten on...

I just love the look of Frankenstein builds!
Well, the tech has evolved! I haven't looked, but can an e-bike get up a hill faster than a dino-burner? It's gotta be true, right? Now they just need to maximize the geometry to the power and weight of the engine.

Tee hee.

--Jaeger
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:26 pm

Turns out that dude got banned for getting out of line on some political rant in another thread. Oh well...

There's very few examples of ebike doing serious, competition style hill climbs. I'm sure one could be made to DESTROY since range isn't an issue, but that scene, at least around here, is very good-ol'boy.
If you check YouTube there's a few videos of Alta Redshift competing.

problemaddict

Post by problemaddict » Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:34 pm

And this thing just looks fantastic for a neighborhood runabout:

Screenshot_20230118-074605.png

Screenshot_20230118-074541.png

Screenshot_20230118-074806.png

I guess there's not much luck in finding a WWII era DKW around here. DG, I'm sure your streets are littered with these things. Maybe you could pull one out of the trash and send it to me :mrgreen:

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:57 am

problemaddict wrote:
Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:34 pm
I guess there's not much luck in finding a WWII era DKW around here. DG, I'm sure your streets are littered with these things. Maybe you could pull one out of the trash and send it to me :mrgreen:
Well, not sure about the 100cc model.
But everyone and their grandmother copied the DKW RT125. BSA called it the Bantam.

Harley Davidson also made one. Yes, a 125cc two-smoke single. Which, erroneously, the world has come to call the Hummer (mistaken for a later, different small HD).
Oh, the ironies abound...
LOOK AT IT!
Show