Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Articles, Essays, Reviews, Road Diaries, and your chance go Gonzo with your own weekly column. Be sure to read the FAQ before posting an article.
User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:10 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Do you have JIS screwdrivers? Its quite helpful if you do, but I was able to tear apart the carb bank on my XJ without them. I then replaced everything with stainless allen head bolts. Adds to the cost but if you ever have to take them apart again...
Also, don't overlook the throttle shaft seals between the carbs. You're going to be in there anyway and they will be a source of air leaks and will make tuning impossible if they are hard or leaking.
I don't have any JIS but I do the same as you and replace with allen head bolts. I bought two boxes of them from Fastenal. I didn't go all fancy chrome though, I went with black. If I'm gonna break the bank apart, I might as well do all the nooks and crannies, I don't want to fight leaks and keep tearing them apart.

So far, I have yet to pull carbs from a bike that is easier than my XJ. Those downdraft carbs were cake to install/remove.


Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Rat Bike

User avatar
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...
Location: belgium
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by xtian » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:13 am

I admire you.
this thread exposes why i'd rather spend 12 hours a day working to make enough money to buy a reliable bike, it seems so much easier than to endure the endless frustration of fixing everything that might and will go wrong and then go incredibly wronger after I try to fix it.
I'm not really from around here.

User avatar
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple
Location: NoVA
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by Jaeger » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:44 am

xtian wrote:I admire you.
this thread exposes why i'd rather spend 12 hours a day working to make enough money to buy a reliable bike, it seems so much easier than to endure the endless frustration of fixing everything that might and will go wrong and then go incredibly wronger after I try to fix it.
HAHAHAH Right?!

I'm currently reaping my foolishness trying to sell Athena. More than a decade of my shade-tree tinkering has left her scarred and non-functioning, and I finally gave up and bought a new bike. :P

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:38 am

Jaeger wrote:
xtian wrote:I admire you.
this thread exposes why i'd rather spend 12 hours a day working to make enough money to buy a reliable bike, it seems so much easier than to endure the endless frustration of fixing everything that might and will go wrong and then go incredibly wronger after I try to fix it.
HAHAHAH Right?!

I'm currently reaping my foolishness trying to sell Athena. More than a decade of my shade-tree tinkering has left her scarred and non-functioning, and I finally gave up and bought a new bike. :P

--Jaeger
I could fit a newer bike in my budget but right now, I'm focused on paying off debt as best as I can. One day in the future when we're back to being a two-income house, I'll be on the market. Although I'll probably be shopping for a Ural, so that whole new=reliable thing will go right down the drain. I still have an obsession with the MTS620 and DR650, so who knows what "new" bike I'll end up with. Either way, I want the CBR to be in the best shape I can. I want it to cart my ass to DoOM 2020.

Also, since my available ride time will be limited, I don't want to pay for something I'm not using on a regular basis. Years of being broke has made me a cheap ass to my core.

Not having a deadline to get the CBR running is helpful in reducing the stress. I like working on things but the frustration comes from not having the time, or having time at the wrong time of day. Like not being able to test start because it would wake up the kiddos. Once I get the o-rings sourced and the petcock on hand, I'm going to take a day or two
off work and spend quality time wrenching.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Rat Bike

User avatar
xtian
Le coureur de lames chasse Tinti...
Location: belgium
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by xtian » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:37 pm

absolutely. Since I went freelance, I either have the time for a hobby but no income, or work and income but no free time.
I'm not really from around here.

User avatar
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher
Location: Exiled to Living in a Van Down By The River
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by Bigshankhank » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:44 am

I'm right with ya man. Endlessly wrenching on old bikes got me through the post-recession years when I had to sell of my bikes, move 1/2 way across the country looking for work and was still too broke to buy a reliable bike. Stay connected to the machine however and whenever you can, and you'll be better for it.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:01 am

Bigshankhank wrote:I'm right with ya man. Endlessly wrenching on old bikes got me through the post-recession years when I had to sell of my bikes, move 1/2 way across the country looking for work and was still too broke to buy a reliable bike. Stay connected to the machine however and whenever you can, and you'll be better for it.

To me, it's always better to have something to wrench on than a motorcycle shaped hole in the garage.

I have a new plan for the tank paint. I may move away from the sticker bomb plan and have a friend do a custom paint job. Either way, it will be one of a kind.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Rat Bike

User avatar
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer
Location: East Goatfuck, Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by guitargeek » Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:32 pm

Bigshankhank wrote:I'm right with ya man. Endlessly wrenching on old bikes got me through the post-recession years when I had to sell of my bikes, move 1/2 way across the country looking for work and was still too broke to buy a reliable bike. Stay connected to the machine however and whenever you can, and you'll be better for it.
Still got that Yamaha?
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:06 pm

Got the new petcock in the mail, perfect replacement for the old. I also ordered a test tank since I couldn't find my old one that I made out of a radiator overflow tank. Who knows when I"ll get around to more wrench time but at least the parts are here.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Rat Bike

User avatar
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher
Location: Exiled to Living in a Van Down By The River
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by Bigshankhank » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:46 pm

guitargeek wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote:I'm right with ya man. Endlessly wrenching on old bikes got me through the post-recession years when I had to sell of my bikes, move 1/2 way across the country looking for work and was still too broke to buy a reliable bike. Stay connected to the machine however and whenever you can, and you'll be better for it.
Still got that Yamaha?
Yup.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:22 am

So.... the fuel inlet is no longer leaking but now all my bowl gaskets are. I scored a free set of carbs from my co-worker. Going to use 'em for spare parts and check the bowl gaskets. After draining my test tank and the fuel lines on the bike, I pulled the carbs and got the bike to fire up w/some starting fluid. Definitely need a quieter can, it's loud and raspy.

I also made this so I can test the carbs before mounting them and then dealing with a bike covered in fuel.
IMG_20190908_145851.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Rat Bike

User avatar
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher
Location: Exiled to Living in a Van Down By The River
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:44 am

Rather than try to re-use old bowl gaskets, go to an auto parts tore and buy a roll of gasket material and an exacto knife and just cut some new ones. I've done this many many times and never had a leak. Its tedious but cheap.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:03 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Rather than try to re-use old bowl gaskets, go to an auto parts tore and buy a roll of gasket material and an exacto knife and just cut some new ones. I've done this many many times and never had a leak. Its tedious but cheap.

I've done that with engine cover gaskets but never carbs. I'll have to give it a try. Thx
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Rat Bike

rc26
The Devil's Banana
Location: Va.

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by rc26 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:07 pm

Never thought about making my own bowl gaskets. Even replaced them using regular gasket material if the originals were rubber?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Stole it.

User avatar
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher
Location: Exiled to Living in a Van Down By The River
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by Bigshankhank » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:56 pm

rc26 wrote:Never thought about making my own bowl gaskets. Even replaced them using regular gasket material if the originals were rubber?
I’ve usually used the cork based stuff since it’s got a little “squish” to it.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

User avatar
Jaeger
Baron von Scrapple
Location: NoVA
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by Jaeger » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:32 pm

Bigshankhank wrote: I’ve usually used the cork based stuff since it’s got a little “squish” to it.
Image

--Jaeger
Bigshankhank wrote:The world is a fucking wreck, but there is still sunshine in some places. Go outside and look for it.
<<NEUTIQUAM ERRO>>
2018 Indian Scout -- "Lilah"

User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:18 am

I found a rebuild kit on eBay for a good price. Gonna pick it up next pay day.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Rat Bike

User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Should be getting the title soon as well! Hooray!
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Rat Bike

User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:31 am

Title is in hand!
Looks like my carb kits are coming from Taiwan via the slow boat.
Sitting at a stand still for now. Once I get the kits, I'm gonna take a day off from work and do nothing but work on the bike.

Hooray for garage therapy!
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Rat Bike

User avatar
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher
Location: Exiled to Living in a Van Down By The River
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:35 am

Fair enough update, it had been a while so I was hoping you had been out riding so much you hadn't had any time to post.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:27 pm

New bowl gaskets are in! Hope to leak test this weekend. I definitely did not over tighten a bowl screw and rip the threads out of the body. Nope.


But, if I did, I would have found a longer screw and caught the rest of the threads and made it work.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Rat Bike

User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:11 am

My trip to the BMV only resulted in a return home with the title in hand and another form for the seller to fill out. When he filled it out, he kind of scribbled a number and it looks "suspicious".

In happier news, I drained the radiator without making a huge mess, replaced the sad thin o-ring with a beefier version and replaced the bottom hose clamp. It appears to be holding all it's coolant now. Not sure when I'm going to leak test the carbs. I may just do it using the stand and save myself the trouble of installing them on the bike.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Rat Bike

User avatar
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher
Location: Exiled to Living in a Van Down By The River
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by Bigshankhank » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:39 pm

Do it on the stand, save yourself the hassle of on again off again with mounting the carbs.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:52 am

Bigshankhank wrote:Do it on the stand, save yourself the hassle of on again off again with mounting the carbs.

I agree.
While these carbs aren't terrible to install/remove, like the fucking GS650GL *SPIT*, it's still unnecessary work.

I keep thinking about breaking each set (2+2) down and replacing all the o-rings while I have them off the bike. And now that I've typed that out and released my thoughts onto the void, if I don't replace them, they will leak. 'Cause that's how life is.

At least I can do them indoors, while watching TV and being in a climate controlled area.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Rat Bike

User avatar
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher
Location: Exiled to Living in a Van Down By The River
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by Bigshankhank » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:24 pm

red wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote:Do it on the stand, save yourself the hassle of on again off again with mounting the carbs.

I agree.
While these carbs aren't terrible to install/remove, like the fucking GS650GL *SPIT*, it's still unnecessary work.

I keep thinking about breaking each set (2+2) down and replacing all the o-rings while I have them off the bike. And now that I've typed that out and released my thoughts onto the void, if I don't replace them, they will leak. 'Cause that's how life is.

At least I can do them indoors, while watching TV and being in a climate controlled area.
100% this. Its got to be near enough to the end of the riding season up there to mean that you have some time before you are twisting the throttle in anger with this bike. Do it right, and maybe go crazy and spiff the carbs up with a dremel or go the other way and look into gun-blueing them just for bling factor. Trickiest part is getting them aligned again. I have a small mirror about 6"x8" that worked well as a perfectly flat surface. Loosely connect the carbs together on the rails the place them intake down on the glass and slowly tighten every bolt down while double checking the alignment against that flat surface.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:59 am

Bigshankhank wrote:
red wrote:
Bigshankhank wrote:Do it on the stand, save yourself the hassle of on again off again with mounting the carbs.

I agree.
While these carbs aren't terrible to install/remove, like the fucking GS650GL *SPIT*, it's still unnecessary work.

I keep thinking about breaking each set (2+2) down and replacing all the o-rings while I have them off the bike. And now that I've typed that out and released my thoughts onto the void, if I don't replace them, they will leak. 'Cause that's how life is.

At least I can do them indoors, while watching TV and being in a climate controlled area.
100% this. Its got to be near enough to the end of the riding season up there to mean that you have some time before you are twisting the throttle in anger with this bike. Do it right, and maybe go crazy and spiff the carbs up with a dremel or go the other way and look into gun-blueing them just for bling factor. Trickiest part is getting them aligned again. I have a small mirror about 6"x8" that worked well as a perfectly flat surface. Loosely connect the carbs together on the rails the place them intake down on the glass and slowly tighten every bolt down while double checking the alignment against that flat surface.

Nonsense! The riding season only ends when the roads are icy.

Thanks for the mirror tip, to be honest, I just used my work bench to align the carbs. I have a sheet of glass out of an old shelf that should work nicely.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Rat Bike

User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:00 pm

Thanks to Google using us as lab rats, I've had to cancel my PTO the last 2 Fridays. They made a change that caused all kinds of headaches at work and caused me days of extra work verifiying our system wasn't to blame. Now, things are settling down and I'm playing catch up.

Might finally get around to the carb work before the end of the month. The Mrs started working again so I'm in Mr. Mom mode from after school to bed time every night.

Tough not to get all boo-hooey about it and think riding days will never come. But, we got a new doggie, so that's pretty damn cool.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Rat Bike

User avatar
guitargeek
Master Metric Necromancer
Location: East Goatfuck, Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by guitargeek » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:36 pm

I like dogs.
Elitist, arrogant, intolerant, self-absorbed.
Midliferider wrote:Wish I could wipe this shit off my shoes but it's everywhere I walk. Dang.
Pattio wrote:Never forget, as you enjoy the high road of tolerance, that it is those of us doing the hard work of intolerance who make it possible for you to shine.
xtian wrote:Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

User avatar
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.
Location: Indy
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by red » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:51 am

guitargeek wrote:I like dogs.
Me too!

Meet Sir Chancellor Rufus Waffles, aka Chance. He's a good boy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud Survivor From Thread Hole 64 Campaign
1987 CBR600F Hurricane Rat Bike

User avatar
Bigshankhank
Fully Autonomous Cock-Puncher
Location: Exiled to Living in a Van Down By The River
Contact:

Re: Project Bike Thread: 81 GS650GL & 87 CBR600F

Post by Bigshankhank » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:19 am

Nice! Does this one wander the house in the middle of the night doing security checks on strangers trying to sleep on the couch? Lol.

Does that dog have heeler in him? Looks like it.
It's time for Humankind to ditch the imaginary friends of our species' childhood and grow the fuck up.
-Davros

"Lasse mich deine Seele dem Herrscher der Finsternis opfern"

Let me sacrifice your soul to the ruler of darkness

Always carry a bottle of whiskey when you travel in case of a snakebite. Futhermore, always carry a small snake.

Post Reply