Undone (on Amazon)

Art, Music, Literature and other non-yogurty cultured things.
red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Undone (on Amazon)

Post by red » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:49 am

Has anyone else been watching this? It's absolutely amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undone_(TV_series)

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Re: Undone (on Amazon)

Post by DerGolgo » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:29 am

This is the first I hear of it. Amazon's recommendation system is a joke, wrapped in humor, inside a farce. I'll give it a watch.
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.

red
Yap. Doomed for all eternity.

Post by red » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:29 pm

I finished it last night. I'm looking forward to season 2.

Spoiler
Show
I think there is no magic, no time travel, just mental illness. "But how did she know about her Mom breaking into the lab?", you ask. Simple. She didn't wait outside a stranger's house all night on Halloween, she followed her father to the lab." "He" couldn't remember those details because she had suppressed them and he is a figment of her illness.

DerGolgo
Zaphod's Zeitgeist

Post by DerGolgo » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:17 am

Hm. I watched episode one, and, really... what was the point of the animation?
Spoiler
Show
I'm not saying it was "bad". But it certainly didn't strike me as anything greater than your run-of-the-mill drama. That is to say, not very original, under the animation (which looked like rotoscope, so that'd be literal).
20-something protagonist who feels a void in her life and is disappointed with her "boring" life, sees her peers finding something and leveling up, basically (represented by sis getting married), while she is stuck in a relationship with her horribly cute boyfriend. Seen it.
Her family background, while absolutely non-threatening (class low enough to not know asparagus etiquette), is also not-quite-mainstream (Mexican mom), which may imply justification for a special perspective (just implies it, which is enough for many). This may catch the interest of people who like when such is implied (not necessarily if it's also delivered, mind), people who can identify with her because of a similar background, and people who can identify with anyone who may have a special perspective because, well, their own perspective is special also, obviously.
There is also some dark-secret/old-conflict buried in her family (the whole business with the photos when the mum didn't seem eager to talk about some of them).
Mysteriously, protagonist slips into awful personal drama (the whole cry-fest that opened ep 1 which also illustrates a vulnerability many may identify with, or that will at least garner sympathy), and the stakes are jacked up with a terrible event (car crash that framed ep 1).

So.
Protagonist many can/want to identify with/feel sympathy towards. Check.
Personal drama, conflict, and calamity to keep the viewer interested. Check.
Unique selling point: Don't just film actors! No, make it look like you rotoscoped the whole thing because... art?

The only question that episode one left me with was whether she was crying because cute boyfriend trouble, or because something horrible was revealed about/happened because of whatever deep dark history was related to the photos mum didn't wanna talk about. Maybe something went horribly wrong with the sister's wedding, and she is being blamed/blames herself.
One of those, was it?
It's... not for me. Unless absent dad turns out to be an alien overlord... wait... nope, seen it.
Well, maybe if he's an alien overlord. But if there were any hints at how it's not a trope-driven story of love, betrayal, all that jazz. I didn't see them. Such stories may be worth telling, but they don't grab me.
Even in the era of season and series arcs, where the everything isn't reset to premise for each episode, the first episode sets the tone for a show. The tone I saw here, not for me.

P.S.: Not a spoiler. Literally the first scene of episode 1.
One big bug that snapped right into place on my attention-meter, and wouldn't budge, was the car crash.
She wasn't driving a beautiful vintage car, like some filmmakers will use to illustrate how unconventional or something the protagonist is, or to set the stake, or whatever.
Nope. Looked like a perfectly boring econobox, 90s or later. Perfectly ordinary car, TV-trope wise.
So. Did anyone mention why her airbag didn't deploy? Was mention made of how the car is so old, it doesn't even have airbags?
Was that just bad writing, or is it a plot-point? Is the rest of the show concerned, at least in part, with her crusade against some shady used-car salesman or against an entire auto maker?
If there were absolutely anything to be afraid of, don't you think I would have worn pants?

I said I have a big stick.